Advent Computer Training (Barclays Partner Finance)Info and discussion thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spoke to Ingrid about the 'One Show' and she pointed out that the programmers were probably wary of saying too much as they could be hit by a defamation suit. She also said they wouldn't want to harm our interests as there's a legal case going on so that may be why it was a little flat on the coverage.

However she also said BPF won't like the exposure (good) and their desperate, incorrect statement gives a real indication of their position (clinging grimly to the cliff edge I'd say).

I intend keeping the pressure up with a summary statement of our case I'll send to various media outlets.

One Show. Fuzzbutt, I can understand you being disappointed about the One Show because you know how much has been cut etc . You're expectations were, obviously, a lot higher. I dont think you should be too down about it. It put the case across quite well, and publicity on such a high-profile show is a fantantic achievement. Well done!!

One Show. Fuzzbutt, I can understand you being disappointed about the One Show because you know how much has been cut etc . You're expectations were, obviously, a lot higher. I dont think you should be too down about it. It put the case across quite well, and publicity on such a high-profile show is a fantantic achievement. Well done!!

Hate miss-spelling. I mean fantastic NOT fantantic.

(By the way, in a previous post you implied that contesting the 'like for like' might be proving too difficult as Computeach are trying hard to match the Advent course. I still think that the 'open-ended' nature of the Advent course is a key factor that Computeach can't / won't match.

(By the way, in a previous post you implied that contesting the 'like for like' might be proving too difficult as Computeach are trying hard to match the Advent course. I still think that the 'open-ended' nature of the Advent course is a key factor that Computeach can't / won't match.

I agree with this completely. Coz either the Advent course was open ended and computeach wont match it therefore its not 'like for like' and so section 75 applies or the course wasnt open ended in which case every single one of us has been lied to and missold and therefore section 75 still applies.

Thanks Dave. I've spoken to the producer and understand they did have to be careful legally about what they said. There's no evidence at the moment that CT aren't matching Advent as so few of us have gone over to them to test out the claim, so I can see why they shied away from that in fairness. I have had two accounts from people who went to CT as they were very near to their last exam so decided reluctantly to take that option. They asked for confidentiality though, so I had to respect that (though they were happy to speak to Ingrid).

I think you're probably right and CT won't conform to the open-ended issue - let them argue that out with Barclays!

Hi Fuzzbutt thanks for you help once again, it was very apparent during the One show's coverage of our plight that they had been leaned on by Barclays lawyers. The one good thing that has come from this is that the FOS will now see that we really mean business, also this sort of negative publicity isnt the sort that Barclays want at this time.

I have in writing from CompuTeach the course structure and details of what they will provide and that it is like for like. To get this I advised them that I had an outstanding complaint with the FOS and that I needed a formal document from them with the details. In the document they also state that they do not have paper documents from Advent and do not consider them necessary as the Advent file has all the details on it.

The FOS gave me their final decision saying that Section 75 does not apply as I am the debtor and my wife is the student, therefore I have no link to the supplier. I will be disputing this as my Barclays Finance Loan was opened through Advent for the purchase of the course and it is in black and white on my first statement (which I hadn't sent in before.) I will be calling my adjudicator, tomorrow as he wasn't in today, to discuss this before sending in my documents. I would also like to know why it took him 3 months to arrive at this decision when I explained on our first contact that I was the debtor and my wife was the student. There is clear misrepresentation as Advent told me they were setting up a loan where I was the guarantor, and with only 3 places (as documented by Advent) I needed to rush and sign before my wife lost her place on the course.

For anyone who missed it and want to watch the One Show it's on BBC iPlayer. I tried to post a link but my post count is too low unfortunately.

Just for the record I was told (possibly like others) by the Advent rep I should apply for the course quickly as places were limited, and he was also 'surprised' that I got a loan from Barclays as he seemed to think a lot of people were declined. I suspect this was not strictly the truth!

Just wondered what progress you have made? I was going to take court action but cost of losing would be huge and going up against top lawyers would be difficult on my own. Legal advice is not cheap so I feel I could lose out even more than I have already with the cost of the course etc

FUZZBUTT ANNOUNCEMENT:

I've been discussing the 'One Show' BPF statement that was read out with our group lawyer, and particularly regarding their comment that ‘peoples credit payments were stopped in the 3 month period that a new provider was being sourced’. Ingrid is asking for evidence that they did NOT freeze the accounts and carried on taking and demanding payments during the time before they appointed Computeach.

If you have any evidence in the form of letters/emails/bank statements or even accounts of your telephone calls with Barclays insisting they were not going to freeze your account and you’d have to continue paying, please could you forward them directly to Ingrid Gubbay at Hausfeld (details on our website). Also useful would be copies of your recorded delivery slips to show you contacted BPF during this time with a dispute letter that was ignored.

I'll copy here my report to her for everyone’s information. If you also have evidence you haven’t yet sent to Hausfeld which illustrates how debt collectors were contacting you with threats after you’d made it clear you’d requested a freeze/dispute on your account that would also be valuable.

REMEMBER – HAUSFELD CAN ONLY WORK WITH WHAT WE GIVE THEM SO MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO HELP WITH THIS PLEASE. THANKYOU.

If you are contacted in the next few days by Hausfeld regarding the next step of the case please ensure you respond promptly but be discreet on public forums. Barclays don’t need to know the legal team’s strategy in advance.

My report to Ingrid – ‘On that statement Dom read out, it was utter lies. I have had two ex-Advent students who went over to CT contact me and report their disgust at what is happening now. One of them XXXX (you have his email account already) He is still posting updates on XXX group about how the training material being out of date (he's apparently contacted Microsoft directly to check this) and so forth. As so many refused to transfer we only have a couple of accounts as evidence of CT failure in matching Advent courses as CT and BPF are promising - but still no students are managing to get any of these promises on the 'bespoke courses' in writing when they contact CT! Apparently they have given the One Show's producer the promise in writing, but a promise is easily given - the reality for those students reporting back now seems to be a very different story!

So far as the claim in that statement Dom read out that 'peoples credit payments were stopped in the 3 month period that a new provider was being sourced' that is a totally untrue, as you rightly say. The volume of people receiving calls, threats by letter and even visits to their homes by not only Mercers, but Sanclere and Resolve (some at the same time!), has been non stop since a large number refused to carry on paying on principle because their accounts were NOT frozen during that period. Many had even sent recorded delivery letters asking for their account to be put into dispute, which, in some cases was acknowledged by BPF customer services who then went on to freeze the accounts for 30 days limit - yet they STILL received non-stop threats from Mercers etc which verge on bullying and scare tactics. Many people were told court action would be taken and goods removed from their homes. Some had success in stopping this temporarily after contacting Mercers head office and pointing out there is a legal action going on and these accounts are in dispute, but it seems the debts are then being passed on to a second collection agency -Sanclere or Resolve. Some people have now sent a Deed of Assignment demanding they show proof of BPF passing on the debt, which seem to have worked in some cases with the collectors backing off temporarily. Because of the scale of this I've put template letters and debt collector guidance on my website now. The evidence of the scale of this assault is clear by the number of angry/fearful posts on CAG forum and Facebook now, and people's accounts of the persecution and shoddy treatment by BPF's customer service dept speak loudly for themselves. For all that post regularly, there are many more I suspect who are receiving much the same but don't post, guessing from my website statistics where people are still signing up and going to the advice/templates pages.

Barclays treatment of customers is truly appalling, and customer service staff appear not to be aware there is a legal dispute going on until customers ring them and tell them.’

Edited by Fuzzbutt

I have in writing from CompuTeach the course structure and details of what they will provide and that it is like for like. To get this I advised them that I had an outstanding complaint with the FOS and that I needed a formal document from them with the details. In the document they also state that they do not have paper documents from Advent and do not consider them necessary as the Advent file has all the details on it.

The FOS gave me their final decision saying that Section 75 does not apply as I am the debtor and my wife is the student, therefore I have no link to the supplier. I will be disputing this as my Barclays Finance Loan was opened through Advent for the purchase of the course and it is in black and white on my first statement (which I hadn't sent in before.) I will be calling my adjudicator, tomorrow as he wasn't in today, to discuss this before sending in my documents. I would also like to know why it took him 3 months to arrive at this decision when I explained on our first contact that I was the debtor and my wife was the student. There is clear misrepresentation as Advent told me they were setting up a loan where I was the guarantor, and with only 3 places (as documented by Advent) I needed to rush and sign before my wife lost her place on the course.

Sorry, just spotted this Juicybuns....

Good luck with that. I'm sure someone on Facebook (Kelly, I believe) was advised by FOS adjudicator when they turned her down that she should re-apply with different criteria against Advent for her guarantor/debtor situation. You might want to go there and read as it sounds very similar.

I think Ingrid would find your course breakdown from CT useful if you would be able to copy it to her please. Getting anything in writing from CT is a big bonus.

just had a letter from sanclare

so much for the 8 weeks that BPf gave me a 3 weeks ago to to respond to their last letter... I did over a week ago.

this is the response I get from them.. just bull

they will be Barclays with one hand and mercers etc with the other hand.. two faced

A lot of people are apparently complaining to Ofcom about Barcalys PF statement on 'The One Show' that they had frozen everyone's accounts in the 3 months before appointing CT, pointing out in their own experience it is a total lie.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/

I have proof of this, and have offered proof to Ingrid.[and sent]

When BPF first wrote to me and said that Advent and its directors had imploded beyond trace. They told me i had to keep up my finance agreement until a unsuitable provider had been resurrected and promoted as their next scheduled failure.[Computeach - for the attention of Google] So quite clearly as stated before, the B in BPF - stands for bull*#t.

Oh well, and on it goes...:oops:.....:jaw:

Edited by lowdown
for the attention of Google

Hey all I just got me first letters from Mercers today, which had the usual pay up or else rubbish. I promptly rang them up to first tell that this account was under investigation by the FOS and as such was in dispute. The Mercer advisor said their records did not show any letters from the FOS and that a charge would be added. I was then asked if I would like to make some kind of payment at which point I said absolutely not. I intend to send them a letter in the next couple of days about this matter.

PS I think the idea of a public demonstration against Barclays near Downing street would be a good idea, also I think that all of us need to contact our respective MP to highlight the matter.:-x

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks