• Tweets

• Well we can't predict what the judge will believe. PE will say that they responded in the deadline and you will say they don't. Nobody can tell what a random DJ will decide. However if you go for an OOC settlement you should still be able to get some money
    • What do you guys think the chances are for her?   She followed the law, they didnt, then they engage in deception, would the judge take kindly to being lied to by these clowns? If we have a case then we should proceed and not allow these blatant dishonest cheaters to succeed 
    • I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Please Please Help.........

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5286 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thanks to you both for your thoughts

My hubby has just spoke to the union rep they are again trying to tell him he is only allowed a shop steward he wont get a area organiser till it goes to appeal

the other thing he did say that was comforting is he does not understand why my hubby is being treated as a staff member for this mistake when at the time it happened he was a customer according to 1 of the statements they had said my hubby was in uniform which is not true the union guy felt that since my hubby has offered to pay for the items twice and both times they have said he can not that is not what they would do with a regular customer which is what my hubby was when this happened

hope that all makes sence

the other thing was the guy who did the investigatory meeting adjourned the meeting to go view the cctv but when he came back he said it was broken he was unable to view it but it had been viewed by 2 other line managers and still moved it to diciplinary would that have any impact on this?

thank you all so so much

Meg&Mog

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of points there in favour of your husband. When your husband goes to the meeting on Wednesday, till him to stick to his guns, it was a mistake because he was in a rush. They will try to convince him that it's theft. He needs to say that he will defend vigorously any attempts by the

management to say that it was theft.

What position does does the guy who held the investigatory meeting hold?

Edited by rebel11

Lots of points there in favour of your husband. When your husband goes to the meeting on Wednesday, till him to stick to his guns, it was a mistake because he was in a rush. They will try to convince him that it's theft. He needs to say that he will defend vigorously any attempts by the

management that it was theft.

What position does does the guy who held the investigatory meeting hold?

Hi Rebel11

Thanks again :)

The union rep said it may help for my hubby to write a statement to the store manager before the meeting to explain everything also they have not called it theft once yet they are referring to it as "non-payment of goods"

The guy who held the meeting is a trading manager (senior team)

Hi Guys

Had a shocking weekend of worry but at least now this meeting is only a couple of days away

My hubby was told by the union to write a statement to the store manager before the meeting this is partly because he has only been at this store for approx 3 weeks so his knowledge of my hubby is limited so we have wrote one wondered if one of you good people could look it over and tell me what you think thanks

Thanks for looking guys please tell me your thoughts we have never had to do anything like this before so all help needed

Edited by meg&mog
On DBC,s advice :0)

Hi Guys

My Hubby has been for his meeting it has been moved to a disiplinary with the store manager next wednesday

We are very worried now this is bad news isnt it?

Thanks all

Meg&Mog :(

Hi Meg&Mog,

Sorry to here of this situation, can you tell me when the situation was esculated, and therefore deemed as being "disciplinary" has your husband got a letter stating this fact?

If he is to attend a hearing such as this, then there are minimum procedures that should be followed:

"A letter should state that on (not less than 48 hrs hence) you are required to attend a hearing to give your explanantion of the following------------what he is accused of----.

You may bring with you as your representative a work colleague or friend as a witness who may both address the hearing and confer with you. Any legal representation should be at the express permission of the Company.

You should be aware that as this hearing is of a disciplinary nature, that action could be taken against you that may lead to your dismissal from the company."

Now I know that the last paragraph is a bit scary but it is standard procedure under ACAS rules for any hearing of the type that your husband is facing.

Has the company stated at any time that this is a gross-misconuct or that they view it as such-----to my mind if they have suspended him then it is a gross-misconduct that they are looking at, which means they should have written a letter in some such wording as above.

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Hi Meg&Mog,

Sorry to here of this situation, can you tell me when the situation was esculated, and therefore deemed as being "disciplinary" has your husband got a letter stating this fact?

If he is to attend a hearing such as this, then there are minimum procedures that should be followed:

"A letter should state that on (not less than 48 hrs hence) you are required to attend a hearing to give your explanantion of the following------------what he is accused of----.

You may bring with you as your representative a work colleague or friend as a witness who may both address the hearing and confer with you. Any legal representation should be at the express permission of the Company.

You should be aware that as this hearing is of a disciplinary nature, that action could be taken against you that may lead to your dismissal from the company."

Now I know that the last paragraph is a bit scary but it is standard procedure under ACAS rules for any hearing of the type that your husband is facing.

Has the company stated at any time that this is a gross-misconuct or that they view it as such-----to my mind if they have suspended him then it is a gross-misconduct that they are looking at, which means they should have written a letter in some such wording as above.

Beau

Hi Beau

Thanks so much for your reply

Yes my hubby has had a letter like the one you state he was handed this at the end of the investigatory meeting last wednesday

They have not said they view it as anything to be quite honest although we felt from the suspension it was probably gross misconduct in the letter inviting him to the investigatory meeting it said to discuss his "non-payment of goods" it also says this on the diciplinary meeting letter

It would be a real shame if he was to be dismissed for this one mistake

Meg&Mog

Ok so with any luck it is being viewed as a "Mis Conduct" and not the gross version. A Gross misconduct could warrant dismissal without notice so as you say if thay have not stated this then I would take the view that it may lead to a warning of some sort. Any worse than that I would suggest that the punishment will not be fiitting the crime, and with mitigating circumstances as you have posted in the letter to the manager I suspect he will be ok.

He should go to the hearing with the mind set that this was a terrible mistake and plead his case, couple that with an apology.

He should take with him someone for moral support and who will also take notes of what is said.

If it does go horribly wrong he will also have the right of appeal.

I wish him good luck

Beau

Please note: I am not a lawyer and as such any advice I give is purely from a laymans point of view;-)

Ok so with any luck it is being viewed as a "Mis Conduct" and not the gross version. A Gross misconduct could warrant dismissal without notice so as you say if thay have not stated this then I would take the view that it may lead to a warning of some sort. Any worse than that I would suggest that the punishment will not be fiitting the crime, and with mitigating circumstances as you have posted in the letter to the manager I suspect he will be ok.

He should go to the hearing with the mind set that this was a terrible mistake and plead his case, couple that with an apology.

He should take with him someone for moral support and who will also take notes of what is said.

If it does go horribly wrong he will also have the right of appeal.

I wish him good luck

Beau

Thank you so much beau we appriciate your kind words :)

Meg&Mog :)

Hi Meg,

I would personally remove the word 'terrible mistake' and leave it as 'mistake'. Other then that It's fine. It's shows regret, explains what happened and demonstrates what a good employee he is.

Thanks so much rebel will do that :)

Just to add my hubby has just gone over the witness statements again and it states there was a problem with this till a couple of weeks ago but they do not know if it was card or cash is that relevant?

I hate to be the one to say this - but I think that the letters copied and pasted onto the forums are how these threads are found by management and head office staff (see my thread). They type out a paragraph and put it in google, and it leads them to this thread. I think you're fine with this as it gives no clues whatsoever to who the company is (unlike my thread) but just be careful :)

Best of luck with your case :)

If I have been helpful in any way, please tip my scales :lol:

Hi All

Thanks for all the comments so far....

As you know the meeting is tomorrow my hubby had to meet with his union rep today she was very helpful by all accounts but she did say a few worrying things

She said that they may well make a example of my hubby so that anyone with thoughts of taking anything have second thoughts

she said worse case he could be dismissed best he could get a warning but that he could get a warning AND demoted

What do you think guys

Thank You :-|

Edited by meg&mog

Hi Meg,

If they use your husband as an example, thats very opportunist and not justice. Poor personnel manager, thats another reason to appeal. Thats a very stupid thing for the personnel manager to say. Good Luck.

Let us know what happens.

If it's possible to prove he wiped his loyalty card then it should be obvious to all & sundry his failure to pay was an oversight cos since when did a genuine thief swipe a loyalty card before running off with their ill gotten gains:rolleyes:

If at the worst they decide to sack him & even though no criminal conviction will result you will almost certainly come into the clutches of a firm called Retail Loss Prevention who act for THAT supermarket in cases such as this.

Even though not convicted of anything they will have no hesitation in describing your hubby as dishonest and placing him on their 'dishonest persons' data base for all their mainly retail clients to access thereby jepordising his future employment

If this happens please contact me again

Hey Guys

Hubby just rang he got a period of unpaid suspension

other than that he has still got his job :D

Thank you all so so much for your help special thanks to rebel11 and joncris

God bless you all :D

My thoughts exactly, but I think it's a sort of compromise, one of those 'Retail Sector' things. It might be worth appealing. But if your not losing out to much, then this is a great result.

We are completely happy witht the result hubby is smiling again not got to worry about xmas we are not losing too much its a small price considering he could have been sacked you guys kept me sane thanks again :)

Thank goodness! Sorry I didn't have any advice to offer but I'd been keeping a watch to see how your hubby got on and delighted he's still being kept on! You must be so relieved!

I hope my hubby gets the same kind of good news this week - currently awaiting the outcome of his disciplinary hearing.