Studying while claiming JSA

Stressed150
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, could someone please advise me on what my position is with regards to studying while claiming JSA. My jobcentre seem to be extremely confused..... one person tells me that my study hours must be less then 16 hours per week, which they are, another tells me that my course must not be classified as full time regardless of hours of study, however, if it is classed as part time it must be less then 16 hours. My course is however, calssed as full time, although I only go in 3 days a week, and it is 15 hours...... can someone please advise further?

It's unlikely that you will be eligible for JSA as the course is classed as full time. Remember, it's not just time spent in class that is counted it is also the amount of hours needed for studying, research, completing essays and other assignments, etc. A degree is full time but most students will spend only a fraction of their week in lectures and seminars the rest of the time they are supposed to be carrying out the work mentioned before.

Thank you for your response Aviva, I understand what you are saying, however, what difference would it make if my course was part time and I was studying for 15 hours? I'd still be doing the same amount of research and studying outside of classroom time.

The course should be worked out on how many hours in total a week that you would be expected to do by whoever is running the course not the amount of hours you do.

So you should look at the amount of class time you have and the amount of study time they expect you to do. If you feel that this does not add up to a full time course ask them why it's been put down as such.

I work and am doing a course at the moment but I only have 3 hours of class time a week and am expected to do about 8 hours of personal study a week. So as they work out the amount of time needed is 11 hours a week it's classed as part time. I could study more or less hours than this but the course would still be classed as part time by the College.

I have just been to sign on and was told as i go to college ONE day a week they may not pay me??? At the very least i was told i could lose that days JSA..........

For goodness sake i am going to college to try and better myself and retrain as i have been out of the workplace for many years caring for my ill husband.........

So if the want to penalise me for one day i am guessing full time you will have to claim another benefit??

Looks like i will have to give up my course as i cannot afford to lose a days money :(

Good luck with your problem

I have just been to sign on and was told as i go to college ONE day a week they may not pay me??? At the very least i was told i could lose that days JSA..........

For goodness sake i am going to college to try and better myself and retrain as i have been out of the workplace for many years caring for my ill husband.........

So if the want to penalise me for one day i am guessing full time you will have to claim another benefit??

Looks like i will have to give up my course as i cannot afford to lose a days money :(

Good luck with your problem

Surely the 16 hours rule would apply to you, dont just take the word of an individual at the job centre, they are often clueless and are unaware of the rules and regs. Check it further.

Andy

I am investigating further.........good old Google.......

Seems unreasonable to not allow you to try and make finding a job easier by retraining.:???:

Eerr..this is the Job Centre we are talking about they operate purely on a 'computer says no' system.

I would be willing to do some sort of advanced IT training to help me with my career but of course I'd prob fall foul of their rules....I'd still obviously be looking for work but the Job Centre just can't understand that..dimwits !

Andy

Oe day should not make a diff at all!!!! Definitely do not take one persons advice, especially as the DWP have just undergone a massive recruitment campaign and have many new memebers of staff, the old lot don't know what they are talking about let alone the new ones....!!!

Never mind the Jobcentre. Get in touch with the processing centre, as these are the people who make the decisions on your benefit and administer it, not the jobcentre.

I'd advise writing to them with this enquiry (specifiying that it is just an enquiry to equip you with the knowledge to plan what is best for you) and asking for a response in writing rather than over the telephone. That way, you have it on paper for future reference if there is any discepancy at a later date in regard to your own personal sitaution.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

• 2 years later...

A course is considered to be full-time if you would get 120 credits or more in a year. The number of hours is not the deciding factor for determining the eligibility of the course. However if you also want to work part-time not only does it need to be less than 16 hours, the rate of pay will also have an impact on other benefits such as Housing Benefit.

It would be best to contact the provider of your course directly about how many credits the course you are doing is worth, if for example you will only complete 2 units in a year and they are 40 credits each (towards a full qualification) then you should be able to claim JSA.

Hope that helps

When I was signing on I did a course that the Job Center recommended, I always assumed that it didnt affect my eligibilty for JSA...I worked prob many hours each woerk but mostly at home although did have to attend the actual college twice a week.

Andy

Years ago i was told that 4 hours a week would mean I was not entitled to sign on !! (evening class) and I was only wanting to sign on to show to my insurance company that I was not working for 6 weeks (between jobs) so that I could claim my mortgage repayments from them certainly didnt want any money so how mad was that.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and let me know, thank you.

Closing this thread as it is years old!

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4444 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks