• Tweets

• Yes. I'd be very interested to know how the defendant fared in putting forward the defence that the calaimant had been contributorily negligent by not keeping their cat under control. I'm aware that some people might find that fatuous, distracting or confusing, but the reality is that I'm not aware of any law that imposes a duty upon cat owners to keep their pets under control.  Whereas I believe the law does hold dog owners responsible for their dogs in public places. I'm not certain it was at all beneficial to the OP to suggest that blaming the claimant was a credible defence...
    • Okay, perfect. they did say BS is invoked as soon as i fill in their application form, ill get a pin. i had to press them more on this as they didnt want to discuss BS much. so i should fill in the form and get the pin, then i can initiate BS. What will follow and what should i do after? Thanks again for all the help and patience.
    • Good evening, so not a good weekend reviewing paperwork -- I have lost some proofs of postage.. also, although not provided at CCA, they have now supplied a DN in their WS, please see scan of claimants WS (without statements) Document with tick boxes as signatures doesn't look like an agreement and is split across pages. Documents have been stapled and copied multiple times looking at the top left of them. Aside from that, having read other threads, I suspect they have everything? appreciate your input please Sorry for heavy redactions, I noticed the paperwork was see-through LinkHalifaxCC1.compressed.pdf
    • Received a final demand today Final demand.pdf
    • Here is my final draft: I, XXXXXX, being the Defendant in this case will state as follows; I make this Witness Statement in support of my defence in the claim and further to my set aside application dated 1 November 2022. The claimants witness statement confirms that it mostly relies on hearsay evidence as confirmed by the drafts in person in the opening paragraph. It is my understanding they must serve notice to any hearsay evidence pursuant to CPR 33.2(1)(B) (notice of intention to rely on hearsay evidence) and Section 2 (1) (A) of the Civil Evidence Act.   1.        The claimant failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis on the 2 February 2024 'The Claim shall be automatically struck out at 4pm on 3 April 2024 unless the Claimant delivers to the Court and to the Defendant the following documents.' None of these documents were received by the court nor the defendant by that date.   2.        I understand that the claimant is an Assignee, a buyer of defunct or bad debts, which are bought on mass portfolios at a much reduced cost to the amount claimed and which the original creditors have already wrote off as a capital loss and claimed against taxable income as confirmed in the claimants witness statement exhibit by way of the Deed of Assignment.   As an assignee or creditor as defined in section 189 of the CCA this applies to this new requirement on assignment of rights.  This means that when an assignee purchases debts (or otherwise acquires rights under a credit agreement) it also acquires certain obligations to the borrower including the duty to comply with CCA requirements (such as the rules on statements and notices and other post-contractual information).  The assignee becomes the creditor under the agreement. This ensures that essential consumer protections under the CCA cannot be circumvented by assigning the debt to a third party.   3.        The alleged letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address.  I have attached a copy of my tenancy agreement which is marked ‘Appendix 1’ and shows I was residing at a difference address as of 11 December 2018 and was therefore not at the service address at the time the proceedings were served.  I have also attached an email from my solicitors to the Claimants solicitors dated 14 July 2022 which was sent to them requesting that they disclose the trace of evidence they utilised prior to issuing the proceedings against me.  This is marked ‘Appendix 2’.  The claimants solicitors did not provide me with these documents.   4.        Under The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims 2017 a Debt Buyer must undertake all reasonable enquiries to ensure the correct address of a debtor, this can be as simple as a credit file search. The Claimant failed to carry out such basic checks. Subsequently all letters prior to and including ,The Pre action Protocol letter of claim dated 7 January 2020 and the claim form dated 14th February 2020 were all served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018.   5.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020.   6.        Upon the discovery of the Judgement debt, I made immediate contact with the Court and the Claimant Solicitors, putting them on notice that I was making investigations in relation to the Judgement debt as it was not familiar to me.  I asked them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.   The correspondence to the Claimant Solicotors is attached and marked ‘Appendix 3’   7.        I then sent a Data Subject Access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided. Details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 4’and the copies of correspondence between myself and Barclays are attached and marked ‘Appendix 5’.   8.        The claimant relies upon and exhibits a reconstituted version of the alleged agreement.   It is again denied that I have ever entered into an agreement with Barclaycard on or around 2000.  It is admitted that I did hold other credit agreements with other creditors and as such should this be a debt that was assigned to Barclaycard from another brand therefore the reconstituted agreement disclosed is invalid being pre April 2007 and not legally enforceable pursuant to HH Judge Waksman in Carey v HSBC 2009 EWHC3417.  Details of this are attached and marked ‘Appendix 6’.   The original credit agreement must be provided along with any reconstituted version on a modified credit agreement and must contain the names and address of debtor and creditor, agreement number and cancelation clause.   9.        Therefore the claimant is put to strict proof to disclose a true executed legible agreement on which its claim relies upon and not try to mislead the court.   10.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. Until such time the claimant can comply and disclose a true executed copy of the original assigned agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim they are not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth. Signed                 ………………………………………………….. Name                  XXXX Date                     30 April 2024
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Forthcoming holiday - since booking learnt substantial building works at hotel

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This is a pre holiday query rather than the more common post event!

We have a holiday booked on 1 November to Tunisia for a week. At the time of booking, there were no "information" messages regarding the hotel or anything on our booking confirmation, Trip Advisor reviews were good, etc.

Having checked Trip Advisor this week every complaint is a bad one and they are bad ones in relation to building work that is apparently taking place over 12 hours a day [6 til 6]. Having looked on the tour operators website yesterday, there is now an "information" warning when you go to book the hotel for these dates [it says "building works are ongoing, please contact XXX before booking for more information"].

We've contacted the tour operator who've said there is a new spa and gym being built and room refurbs being done. They'll put a note on the booking to request a room as far away from the noise as possible but from everything we've read, the noise can be heard everywhere within the hotel resort - poolside, beach, etc.

Obviously we need to move quickly on this, I think our main concern is we get there and find it's really noisy, do we have a leg to stand on ie requesting another resort? Of course we could be worrying about nothing but having now read lots of travel review sites, it doesn't look good....

If you wern't pre-warned of this when you booked, you can ask the tour operator to move you to another hotel. Remember; your contract is with the tour operator so make sure you get it sorted BEFORE you go. You will want written confirmation with the new hotel's details on. DO NOT rely on the tour operator saying they will find you a room as far away as possible in the same hotel because once you are there, you may find you are stuffed.

Yep and we were just told they'd make a request for us to be as far away as poss from the noise which I guess is the easiest solution for them.

Thanks for both the replies, we just didn't know what grounds we have, and obv do want to sort before we go!!

The tour operator knows about the problems at the hotel. You really need to ask to be moved to another hotel before you go. I will refraize that INSIST on another hotel.

Has the op got a branch / high street agency you are Dealing with. My point being is that you need to put your requests in writing or email. If you are dealing in a branch put your requests in writing and get them to stamp or sign it to say they have recieved a copy.

Nobody books to spend their holiday on a building site. Best get it changed now as it will be difficult to claim compensation for a bad holiday after you go knowing of the problems.

Yep and we were just told they'd make a request for us to be as far away as poss from the noise which I guess is the easiest solution for them.

Thanks for both the replies, we just didn't know what grounds we have, and obv do want to sort before we go!!

Not good enough, ring the tour operator (the people you paid the money to) and insist they move you to another hotel/resort otherwise you will be seeking a total refund.

Hi,

Firstly, you need to check who your contract is with. Who did you book through? If you used an agent, which Operator/ Supplier have they booked the hotel with. Is it a "package" holiday? OR are the flts/hotel/ transfers booked seperately?

Not wanting to bore you too much with the detail, but if its not a package, the supplier who booked the hotel may not be "Principal" which means that the contract may well be with the hotel, not the supplier or operator.

Easiest thing to do (If you have not already sorted this out) is list the complanies you have recvd any documentation from, by email or otherwise.... I'll try to tell you if its package or not, and if not, if the hotel supplier acts as prinipal or not. Sounds confusing but it is quite important, as if the contract is with the hotel, you may have problems trying to be moved!

Just to give you some background of who I am, I'm a Travel Agent of 10 yrs, and though I do not have any formal training in consumer law, I do understand certain aspects of it and will always try and give the best advice possible, from an experience point of view:razz:

Regards

Heidi

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Please tip the scales if you feel I have helped you!! :D

The Tour Operator (principal) will monitor building works but only has a duty to notify you prior to departure about works that will have a major impact on your enjoyment of the holiday. Problem is, they inernally audit and score on a grading scale of 1-5, 5 being the worst effected, so basically self regulated, but they do have to comply with ABTA guidelines in this respect. If this is the case they must offer you a cancellation and refund free of charge (ie no admin fee) or an alternative holiday and refund any difference if the alternative is cheaper. If the alternative is more expensive, you will have to pay the difference. There is no entitlement to compensation.

If you get there and fnd a poroblem take plenty of photos for evidence. Complain in resort and fill in a customer complaint form while you are there. Insist on this even if the reo tries to fob you off. Keep a diary of how you are affected. If you dont comlain in resort you must complain within 28 days of returning. Dont just rant.. set out all of the issues and provide photogrpahs. The first few responses will always be a knock back, but keep on.

Abta offer an arbitration service which is a hearing dealt with on paper. It costs you £80. You fill in your form, Tour operator replies by Defence. You can comment on the Defence further and then the matter is referred to an independant arbitrator for a decision. The key to this is it will cost the Tour Operator just short of £400 minimum costs just to be able defend (more if your claim is worth a lot more) so usually they will pay up without a fight if your claim is worth about £800 or less. Even if they do defend this is a good alternative to Court proceedings.

Hope this is of help to anybody reading.

I am ex tour operator legal department. I have probably dealt with some of the claims on this site and probably been moaned at about too!

Dont Just book it!!!!!!!

Bluefairy,

Is it still the case that ABTA will only offer arbitration after 3 dissatisfactory responses from the operator? Just interested as this used to be the case. :confused:

Thanks in advance:p

I am not a legal expert, any advice I give is based purley on experience or opinion.

Hi Heidi

No, you can issue arbitration anytime, but obviously the TO should be given opportunity to respond ton your complaint

Sailor Sam, know what you mean matey but its nort part of your contract to be stress free - thats "mere puff" - and yes that really is a legal term!

Love Blue x

Hi Blue, thanks for cleating that one up for me :)

Agreed bout Sailor Sams post too. I know it sounds harsh but at the end of the day, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

H

Hi all, thanks for the posts and sorry for such a slow reply - I thought I got email notifications for replies but obviously don't!!

We phoned the operator as already stated, they just said they'd do best to minimise noise etc. We wrote and emailed them as well and heard nothing for over a week just a standard automated "we've received your email" reply. On Tuesday [27th] we had a letter dated 14th October advising us of building work going on, guess this was lost in the post or something.

Anyway, to cut a long story short we finally find another number to call the tour operator on. They said all they could do was move us to another hotel and we would have to pay for the transfer but they'd knock off admin fees and £100 "as a gesture of good will." We've argued, tried everything, but in the end have paid the extra £130 to move. It's frustrating, not only the ££ when we were never told about it in the first place, but stupid things like we've now got to rebook our seats on the flights etc.

If anyone has any advice thanks, but if not thanks for everything so far and fingers crossed we have a good week and good weather!

Just back! Can you post here or PM info / process please??

Bit frustrated to say the least to have moved and paid extra, and then have building work in "new" hotel - they were replacing the bar windows, which was by the pool, so not so relaxing sunbathing as they "smashed out" the old windows to replace them, amongst other bits and pieces they were doing....

Hi

You need to do a letter to the tour op about the complaint, the pre departure issues and the issues while you were there, as you do have to give them the opportunity to respond before proceeding with further action. You will get an acknowledgement telling you they have 28 days to investigate as per ABTA guidelines. That is true, they do have 28 days from the date of their acknowldgement letter. Just respond saying you require their offer of compensation on or before the expiry of 28 days failing which you will issue ABTA arbitration proceeindgs against them without further recourse to them. In the meantime contact ABTA in London and ask them to send you the forms, so you will have them ready. One of the forms will be a pre arbitration notice. Stick by your guns. If you dont have your compensation offer after 28 days, you can send the TO the pre arb notice detailing the claim and they then know you mean business. Otherwise just issue your claim with ABTA by sending the forms and any supporting docs to them with your payment (£74.30 I think). TO then has 28 days to file a defence. You will get sent their defence by ABTA for your further comments. The TO wont have any other opportunity to comment after their defence has been filed unless you bring up entireley new issues. All the papers are then sent to an independant arbitrator for a decision, and if you are successful, a compensation award.

Dont forget to leave CAG a donation if you are successful please!