EasyJet cancelled flight (part of the recent NATS debacle) **RESOLVED**

2xp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 211 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey everyone, hope you are all well!

I'll try and keep this brief - we were supposed to fly back from Rhodes on 28 August 2023 our flight was canceled last minute. Here's a quick timeline of the events:

1 - easyjet is not offering any replacement - the first available date they had was 9 September which is obviously impossible. We can't get through to support so we stay for another night at a hotel next to the airport on our expense. 

2 - we book the next available flight for the 29th to Brussels instead with the intention of taking the Eurostar from there to London after exhausting every other option

3 - we book a cheaper hotel in Brussels for two nights until the first available Eurostar train to London and book the train for 31 August. 

4 - EasyJet inform us the on evening of the 31st that there are a limited number of seats for a flight on the 31st if we log in immediately and book

5 - I log a compensation claim on 5th September on the EasyJet website attaching the receipts for the Rhodes hotel, flight to Brussels, hotel in Brussels, and Eurostar to London. 

They have since unlocked an option in their app where you can accept a refund for the original flight but haven't done that intentionally as we would like our alternative arrangement going back to be covered as well or at least instead. 

Have I done the right thing and what are my options going forward? I understand they'd say it's NATS' fault, not theirs but also they should cover the alternative arrangements when they can't offer any, right?

So as we're talking about the NATS issue on the 28th there is no EC261 compensation due.

The airline did have a duty of care to take you back to the UK, but by going your own way you made things a lot more difficult for yourself.

Accepting the refund will not close your other avenues for a claim so I would accept that now if I were you, you can still make a followup claim for duty of care minus what they already refunded you.

What you should have done, hindsight being 20/20 is either:

A) Stay in Rhodes indefinitely in a hotel at Easy Jet's cost, until they find you a flight home or

B) If you REALLY can't afford not coming back to the UK, find an available flight back home yourself, which is pretty much what you did, so far so good. Then instead of booking it yourself, tell EasyJet to book you on it. And only when they refuse, document the refusal, tell them that you will book the flight yourself anyway, and do just that. This would have made your position much stronger, as you would have reminded them of their failure to fulfil their duty.

Now that you kind of went your own way and did your thing , take the refund first, then make an adjusted claim for your plane + eurostar back minus what they refunded you. Remind them that you saved them money by not demanding they put you up in a hotel in Rhodes for 3 nights. Make sure you explain why you needed to be back in the UK immediately, and try and prove that this was really your fastest way back. You might get lucky but more probably you won't.

2 nights in Brussels is a very unusual route back and I'm sure they'll question why you even did something like that, especially when they offered you a flight on the 31st which if I understand would have gotten you back on the same day.

Once they reject your claim, you can perhaps try and make another claim with reduced costs. Just the flights + eurostar minues the hotel for example. Remind them again that you saved them money by not demanding they put you up in a hotel in Rhodes for 3 nights, and they should be happy you made your own arrangements.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Edited by Kyosanto

Ahh one thing I forgot,

I see you did spend one night in Rhodes at your expense on the 28th. They MUST pay you that as well as meals+ transport that day, I do not see a way for them to weasel their way out of this one.

It's the nights in brussels that will be a bit more difficult to argue.

• dx100uk changed the title to EasyJet cancelled flight (part of the recent NATS debacle)

Thank you very much for the prompt reply @Kyosanto! I actually already have an update on this - EJ have accepted to pay for all of the above - food and hotel in Rhodes, flight to Brussels and Eurostar and 2 nights hotel in Brussels. Credits where credits are due, I’m satisfied with their response so far. 

There’s just one more thing - the initial refund that they offered for the return flight is now not available through the app/website. There’s some sort of a breakdown where they deduct all the accepted compensation but no option for refunding the original flight. 

Should I push to have that refunded as well since they have accepted the claim for the rest or?

Oh that's lovely. That went a lot smoother than I expected. Well done. :cheer2:

You shouldn't ask for the refund on top, since you paid them to get you from Rhodes to home and that's what they did in the end, kinda. 😅

Hope you managed to enjoy your stay in Brussels!

• Like 2

• dx100uk changed the title to EasyJet cancelled flight (part of the recent NATS debacle) **RESOLVED**