Discrimination due to a criminal conviction

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5318 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a driving disqualification in April this year. I have now received my license back and its clean (i.e there are no points on it) but I am having major difficulties in obtaining a job on moving to a new area.

I have a Degree in Psychology as well as an HND in Business Management and have been applying for various roles within the NHS, CPS, Prison Service and the Council. However, I am not even getting interviewed for any positions and feel this could be due to the fact that I am disclosing on the application forms that I have a criminal conviciton.

Would a driving disqualification be classed as a criminal conviction and if so, do prospective employers have the right to decline me even an interview due to this?

I hope someone can help as I've now been out of work for over 2 months.

Legally, discrimination can only be on certain specific grounds: age, sex, race, disability, religion or belief and sexual orientation.

Therefore, you can not be discriminated against because of the reason you mention.

Thanks.

I received a 6month driving disqualification in relation to a driving offense. I feel it may prevent me getting employment within my chosen career as it is now classed as me having a criminal record.

It was two speeding offences within the first 2 yrs of passing my test but due to various issues with the DVLA they offered me a ban and to receive my clean license back after the 6 months or to revoke it and for me to take the 6 points n do my test again. Not quite sure how I could take the points when I'd have a new license tho??? I opted for the first option, although I regret it now with me having so many difficulties obtaining insurance now.

I have just read some information posted by someone else saying that because the disqualification has now passed that the conviction will be classed as spent which means I do not have to disclose it on applications, unless obviously the form asks for spent and unspent convictions which most of them do which is something i guess.

It may or it may not... In this current economic climate, employers have so much choice, they can afford to pass up people they would have happily taken on a couple of years back. But it is their right and privilege to do so, as long as they are not discriminating within the above given criteria.

Hi there.

The absolute best place to contact is www.unlock.org.uk. They are a fantastic charitable organisation who help people turn their lives around after a criminal conviction.

They will give you advice and support and, if they don't know the answer to any question, they will find it out for you.

Join the forum or telephone them in the morning.

I hope it helps.

just to add.......Unlock often posts job advertisments on it's forum.....Organisations will contact them as some employers are keen to employ people with first hand experience ie Criminal Justice, Prison Service etc. Worth a try.

Edited by Button1
to add further info

I have just read some information posted by someone else saying that because the disqualification has now passed that the conviction will be classed as spent which means I do not have to disclose it on applications, unless obviously the form asks for spent and unspent convictions which most of them do which is something i guess.

Whether you have to disclose spent convictions depends on whether the occupation is one which is exempt, not whether they ask. Exempt occupations are mostly ones involving working with children or vulnerable groups.

Post by me are intended as a discussion of the issues involved, as these are of general interest to me and others on the forum. Although it is hoped such discussion will be of use to readers, before exposing yourself to risk of loss you should not rely on any principles discussed without confirming the situation with a qualified person.

???

I'd just put, if anything, i got banned for 2 speeding tickets??

What this has to do with any job, except where your driving, is beyond me!

There are hundreds of thousands of people who have more than 6 points on their license.

Really gobsmacked on this one!

The vast majority of driving offences are dealt with the Magistrates' Court. If you are banned under the totting up procedure, or receive an instant ban for say, speeding, you will not receive a criminal record as these are not arrestable offences. However, the more serious offences, such as death by dangerous driving etc will result in a criminal record.

Lived through bankruptcy to tell the tale! Worked in various industries and studied law at university. All advice is given in good faith only :)

You have been declaring that you have a criminal conviction. That is untrue and as such you may have been declined interview on the basis you lied about having a criminal conviction.

In a nutshell, you do NOT have a criminal conviction. You were banned from driving which is not a criminal conviction. You have no criminal record and thus there would have been a discrepancy when they checked and you would have been rejected on the basis of providing false information - albeit honestly!

I would either recontact the said jobs and point out your perfectly honest mistake or just move on and start applying again but do NOT say you have a criminal conviction.

Hi simbatim,

JimmySpangle is correct in what he says.........I apologise, I didn't read your post correctly. Had it been for something like death by dangerous driving, that would have resulted in a criminal conviction but no, your's isn't.

I'm sorry I didn't read your post properly in the first place before I advised you to contact unlock.