• Tweets

• I have looked at the car park and it is quite clearly marked that it is  pay to park  and advising that there are cameras installed so kind of difficult to dispute that. On the other hand it doesn't appear to state at the entrance what the charge is for breaching their rules. However they do have a load of writing in the two notices under the entrance sign which it would help if you could photograph legible copies of them. Also legible photos of the signs inside the car park as well as legible photos of the payment signs. I say legible because the wording of their signs is very important as to whether they have formed a contract with motorists. For example the entrance sign itself doe not offer a contract because it states the T&Cs are inside the car park. But the the two signs below may change that situation which is why we would like to see them. I have looked at their Notice to Keeper which is pretty close to what it should say apart from one item. Under the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 Section 9 [2]a] the PCN should specify the period of parking. It doesn't. It does show the ANPR times but that includes driving from the entrance to the parking spot and then from the parking place to the exit. I know that this is a small car park but the Act is quite clear that the parking period must be specified. That failure means that the keeper is no longer responsible for the charge, only the driver is now liable to pay. Should this ever go to Court , Judges do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person so ECP will have their work cut out deciding who was driving. As long as they do not know, it will be difficult for them to win in Court which is one reason why we advise not to appeal since the appeal can lead to them finding out at times that the driver  and the keeper were the same person. You will get loads of threats from ECP and their sixth rate debt collectors and solicitors. They will also keep quoting ever higher amounts owed. Do not worry, the maximum. they can charge is the amount on the sign. Anything over that is unlawful. You can safely ignore the drivel from the Drips but come back to us should you receive a Letter of Claim. That will be the Snotty letter time.
    • please stop using @username - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread inc you gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.  
    • he Fraser group own Robin park in Wigan. The CEO's email  is  [email protected]
    • Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
    • Developing computer games can be wildly expensive so some hope that AI can cut the cost.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Marston bailiff 1 hr away, urgent help please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5330 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some finance companies will let the vehicles go as long as they get their money at the end of the day. As for the form 4 I would hold back on that as of yet as you really need to complain to the council and the bailiff company before you can do this. Its a very long winded process and can be very upsetting and frustrating

I would second that, i read somewhere that you must give the bailiff chance to respond to a complaint before you do a FORM 4

Marstons have a complains procedure which has 3 stages, they should be contacting you with details of that shortly, if you dont hear anything by post within 7 days of sending your letter, write to them again. I would also send today, if you havent already, a subject access request asking for a breakdown of fees, send a cheque for ten pounds to cover thier costs for giving you this information, by law they must give you the information within 40 days.

You can complain to the council and I would do this, send them copys of all the letters you have sent to Marstons. The council are resposiable for the actions of the bailiffs they appoint.

Remember to send everything by recorded delivery, its a bit of a pain but you will have proof of postage then.

Ah problem is that the debt he is trying to collect, is a CCJ obtained from non-payment of a business debt (business debts are payable forthwith unless you apply to vary the order and pay a fee, which is why it was never done) so this bailiff does not need to be certified and isnt. Form 4 seems to be directed at certified bailiffs. Does it still work in the same way as collecting for the council, ie it gets handed back after a certain amount of visits. Husband is being made bankrupt anyway in Nov by another creditor, should he tell them that or will that just make them be more desperate to get hold of anything while they still can

Thanks Dawn

I think I got it from the ministry of justice website, there is a link somewhere on here to check if a bailiff is certified, as he's a high court bailiff possibly thats the difference as he's already been checked before becoming a high court bailiff, if you know what I mean. I may be wrong its not uncommon.

Well I dont know I would have thought anyone knocking on your door acting as an enforcement officer would have to have a certificate.

Try posting that question in a seperate thread?

Im sure someone on here will know more about this

Maddie, is your husband on benifits now and he has stopped trading?

You might want to use this letter template, i dont know if it is relevent to your hubbys situation but you never know.

TO LOCAL AUTHORITY TO REQUEST WRITING OFF BUSINESS RATES.

To: Finance Department.

ABC Council

Anytown

Anywhere

Date:

Dear Sirs,

Re: BILLING REFERENCE No: (enter reference number)

I am writing to you with regards to the arrears of my Business Rates. I am informed that under Section 49 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988, you have the discretion to remit/write off, all or part of my uniform Business Rates, depending on my individual circumstances.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with the necessary forms for completion, so that I can apply under the above act, as I am unable to afford to pay this bill due to (enter brief description of the circumstances:….. for instance:

• I am no longer trading following the closure of my business….

• I am now dependant upon benefits….

• Not working due to ill health…

• The business is important to the local community because, (there is provision for certain businesses to get help in rural areas)

While my application is being considered, could you please ensure that any enforcement action is withheld.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your assistance in this matter, and if you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours faithfully.

Note: Please ensure that you keep a copy of your letter.

Im still none the wiser on the question about the bailiff not needing a certificate but i will keep looking on the net.

Maddie ive just found this

(6A)No distress under this regulation may be made other than by a person who is authorised to act as a bailiff by a general certificate granted under section 7 of the Law of Distress Amendment Act 1888.

That was taken from NON-DOMESTIC RATING (COLLECTION AND ENFORCEMENT) (LOCAL LISTS ...

I do think hes got to have a certificate but i might be wrong

Started a new thread and I'm told, a high court officer (bailiff with a posher title) does not need to be certified as he 'works' for the high court enforcement office via Marston or such like who do the dirty work of the enforcement office. I see it as a bit like a banks in house solicitors who are in actual fact debt collectors.

Enforcement officer = Bailiff with jazzy name hiding behind enforcement office

Banks solicitors = debt collector with jazzy name hiding behind a bank.

I think thats the gist anyway, thanks to all who have shown an interest.

Yes I saw that, its unbelivable isnt it! Also ive been getting mixed up with rates and debts! Sorry I think maybe your Husband should see a soloicitor or seek help via CAB? Keep posting though because Im sure someone who knows all about this kind of thing will see your thread soon.

At least you can rest easy knowing they cant touch you and that your stuff is safe. Keep us posted on any developments

How do I complain about a High Court Enforcement Officer?

You should seek advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau, an Independent Advice Centre, a solicitor, or a law centre before starting a complaint.

For information about grounds for a complaint, please read the leaflet EX345 About Bailiffs and Enforcement Officers. You can obtain this leaflet from your local county court or download a copy from the website of Her Majesty’s Courts Service. Use this address to access the website version of the form:

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex345.pdf

You can complain about a High Court Enforcement Officer by telephoning or writing to:

• the firm the High Court Enforcement Officer works for, or

• the High Court Enforcement Officers Association, which is responsible for promoting higher standards within the profession.

Information on the High Court Enforcement Officers Association’s complaints procedure can be obtained by writing to:

High Court Enforcement Officers Association

PO Box 180

Winsford

Cheshire

CW7 2WP

Tel: 0845 076 7785

Fax: 01606 860 260

Email: [email protected]

Hi Maddie - has your hubby sent the letter about the cars being on HP and demanding the Levy fees be removed yet.

You can also complain to the OFT about Marstons behaviour as the hold a consumer credit licence - complain that despite being informed that your hubby no longer resides at your property they have continued to harrass a vulnerable party who is not the debtor and you believe sending a bailiff to your address in an attempt to force your husband to give them money they are not entitled to (i.e. the illegal levy fees)

I would also send a copy to Marstons for their records - registered post of course - so if they claim they weren't aware this time (yeah right) they will definatley be aware in the future and therefore might think twice

They did know as they were sent a vunlerable person letter by fax on the 24th but attended today the 28th, although he didn't knock because I assume, I had left the vunlerable persons letter on the door to be on the safe side. I will contact the OFT as we have established that a form 4 is not relevant in this case, its interesting though, how Marstons told, soon to be ex hubby, bailiff or should I say enforcement officer was 1 hour away last thursday and could not be stopped, but he didn't arrive until today Monday.

If I get husband to send the agreements to Marstons they may get finance company to agree to a sale in which case husband would have no vehicle to continue his work.

Finance company have never taken legal action because the agreement I requested can be in no way whatsoever be legal, I have 3 copies all different!! so hubby pays that, as and when he can and they seem to accept it, the last thing he wants is for Marstons to give them the easy route and take it and sell it for them without us having a chance to say hang on Judge thats a dodgy agreement. Sorry to be so confussing Andie.

Maddiemay - you must NOT go ahead with giving any agreements to Marstons, they have NO LEGAL RIGHT to the documents.

If you do not listen to the more experienced people on this site the situation is going to get worse, rather than better. I am reporting this post to the moderators as you need more help than some of the posters have been giving.

No I will NOT give Marstons anything and I thank you for the warning, will have to learn to be less impatient, I always want everything all tied up so I can move on to the next one and believe me there are loads, when in actual fact I spread myself so thinly I dont ever acheive an outcome to anything, must slow down and take everything in, before I do anything.

Thanks for pointing it out

You sound very much like me at the moment, I've got lots of odd bits that don't seem to want to be tied up neatly which are really annoying me...

I still think a Form 4 is in order as he has clearly made an invalid levy and that alone is grounds for a formal complaint.

I did complete and print a form 4 but then was advised to complain to Marston first, I supose it wont do any harm really to write to them, they may remove the fee's. Worth a try, at least I will feel as if something concrete is happening.

Maddie here is some info from consumerwiki by tomtubby about what you should do before you complete a FORM 4 complaint.

BEFORE COMPLETING THE FORM:

If possible, you will need to ensure that you have first written to the bailiff company to request a complete breakdown of the fees and charges. You will find a Subject Access Request letter here: Bailiffs: Subject Access Request where you will see that we have provided a letter that can be sent to the bailiff company. By law, they must comply with this. Their response to your request is very important in order to establish whether they have overcharged you. In addition, in our How to Complain section on the front page, you will see details of the different offences, ie: illegal distress, irregular distress, or excessive distress etc that can be used as the basis of your Form 4 Complaint.

So i will stand by what I said before send subject access request and let them deal with it through thier complaint procedure.If at the end of that you are not satisfied then issue a FORM 4.

As you know Maddie im not very experienced in these matters but ive read a hell of alot over the last week or two and i knew i had read it somewhere lol.....So there you go, Tomtubby is regarded as the expert in bailiff matters and that is what she says.

Bailiffs: Complaint about Certified Bailiff - Consumer Wiki

That is the link to the full artical by tomtubby about FORM 4 complaints. I hope it helps and remember.....CHILL!!:D

How do I complain about a High Court Enforcement Officer?

You should seek advice from a Citizens Advice Bureau, an Independent Advice Centre, a solicitor, or a law centre before starting a complaint.

For information about grounds for a complaint, please read the leaflet

EX345 About Bailiffs and Enforcement Officers. You can obtain this leaflet from your local county court or download a copy from the website of Her Majesty’s Courts Service. Use this address to access the website version of the form:

www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/ex345.pdf

You can complain about a High Court Enforcement Officer by telephoning or writing to:

• the firm the High Court Enforcement Officer works for, or

• the High Court Enforcement Officers Association, which is responsible for promoting higher standards within the profession.

Information on the High Court Enforcement Officers Association’s complaints procedure can be obtained by writing to:

High Court Enforcement Officers Association

PO Box 180

Winsford

Cheshire

CW7 2WP

Tel: 0845 076 7785

Fax: 01606 860 260

Email: [email protected]

Hi Maddie

AS you now know it is a whole different ball game dealing with an HCEO, they play with a different set of rules and bend/ignore them at will, the charges are also vastly different and very expensive.

I see hallowitch has responded above but IMHO the problem is that they are self regulating and to date I do not know of anyone who has successfully complained. Although I don't know much about Marston's, I do about another one.

Have you had a list of charges they have added to your account if so put them on here and we'll have a look. If you're not comfortable about that send me a PM and I'll let you know what I think. It may also be a good idea to contact "lets fight bailiffs" as he is active with HCEO's at present and is gathering information for submission to the MOJ.

Good Luck

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ok thats great advice and I will read through everything, the only paperwork husb has is the walking possesion paperwork (which he didnt sign) so a list of fee's in a must. Im off out today to start my condition management course arranged by DWP so I wont be around until later. I cant tell you how grateful I'am to everyone, the feeling of not being judged and people actually care is better than any condition management the DWP can offer.

Maddie:D