• Tweets

• It's a GR Yaris - Finance is with Alphera, who are part of BMW I believe. I'm sure the unit is very expensive to repair, I have even told them I would be happy with a refurbished/reconditioned unit, in trying to be reasonable as well.
    • Without seeing this envelope, document and sticker it is impossible to advise properly. However, just going on what you have told us, there are two ways you can deal with this: !. The easy way. This has the lowest risk but the guarantee of a penalty for speeding.  You can respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box you can explain that you responded to the request for driver’s details but it was recently returned to you, seemingly not actioned. However, you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. You could also ask the court to consider sentencing you at the fixed penalty level (£100 and 3 points) as this prosecution seems to be the result of an administrative problem outside your control. 2. The not so easy way with higher risk. This could see you convicted of the FtP charge but has the possibility that you escape with no penalty whatsoever. You can do the same – plead not guilty to both charges. If you go down this route the speeding charge cannot succeed as they have no evidence you were driving. This comes from your response to the request for driver’s details which the police say they have not got. You can mention in the “Reasons” box that you returned the request for driver’s details as required. You will then face a trial for the FtP charge and you can produced your response together with the envelope and sticker showing it had been returned to you. The risk with this is that if your defence fails you will be fined a week and a half’s net income, pay a “Victim Surcharge” of 40% of the fine, pay prosecution costs of around £650 and have six points together with an endorsement code (MS90) which will see your insurance premiums rocket.
    • Probably very expensive to replace what car and model who is your finance with ?   Andy
    • Topic moved to Financial legal Issues forum in view of the claim form. Topic title updated Please continue to post here, Andy   .
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Eon's invasive questioning

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Ok, I have phoned them today (grudgingly and I wish I hadn't) and it appears the account still has the same conditions attached to it.

The agent I spoke to (I raised it to a team leader/supervisor) admitted that it sound bizarre but she wasn't able to authorize anything...I asked that she raise the complaint to management and to put it in writing to me the reasons as to why I cannot still faciliate my account.

I also offered them the meter reading...which they took down but would offer/add no more...she did say that given the reading they may/would need to make a site visit but she wasn't sure at which point I said that if they wanted to make a site visit they should seek authorisation from their other party (see below paragraph)

I asked that they phone the number on my account (which was the third parties) which she went off and did and met with response expected...as in a dead number...when asked how she could then get 'authorisation' she said they'd have to write .....yeah right.

In any case, I've spoken to my solicitor just now, he will be writing to them explaining the situation and suggest they write/contact him for further information. What I won't do is send EON copies of the deeds or land registry entries, if they want to be so bloody minded they can do it themselves.

I'm also going to contact EON's legal team myself if I can locate the number....

So I've given them the reading....I've spoke to them, I've made 'first contact' and still nothing has been resolved..and until they adjust my account so that I as the named account holder have authority to do as I want as in gt a final reading/change account details...then access to my property unless by court order is not going to happen.

In some ways a court order would be a good thing, it would allow me to go to court, show the relevant documentation and gain control of my own destiny re this bloomin account..

What I will do as sure as I type here is change providers at the earliest possible time and if it costs more to do so then so be it.

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

... if they want to be so bloody minded they can do it themselves.

With respect Deb you too are being bloody minded, Eon will not do this for you, why should they?

You have a route to resolving this and will not take it.

Similarly after two years it is not unreasonable for Eon to want access to your meter for an actual read, in fact I believe by law they are required to do this and you will end up with both warrant fees and inconvenience by continuing to digg your heels in.

Eon would seek a warrant to access the meter, the purpose of this is not to establish whose meter it is, if you attended the court and still refused access for whatever reason the warrant would be granted.

Do you want to give Eon £300 and potentially get a load of hassle, your locks changed, perhaps a trip to the police station to pick up the new keys etc. Or would you rather admit a meter reader?

However a *signed* solicitors letter should resolve this but to be blunt you are not helping yourself.

Edited by zazen.warrior

I have called them...I have given them a meter reading..I have asked that they update my account...there is no outstanding amount on the account (not has there ever been) the account is in my name, the bills come to the address and are paid.

I want them to take my name off the bill and put it into a different name...I want a final meter reading....I would like once they've done this for them to send the money I think they owe...but that is a secondary issue.

These are simple, elementary requests made by me the so called account holder and yet EON will not authorise unless they receive it from the now non existent 3rd party....

I've been as compliant as I possibly can today, I gave them the info they required but unless I am able to change details on my account as any account holder should be able to then I will not co-operate with them.

That isn't being difficult , the suprvisor at the other end admitted it was bizarre, admitted that they had tried the number on file and it was dead, admitted that they had no easy way of contacting this 'ghost' third party and stated that as I was the account holder and I am the person responsible for the supply then I and I alone should have authority (other than eon of course) but the computer says no.

added as I was typing...

I've managed since my last post to speak to EON legal department who have taken the details and are calling back this afternoon, but interesting he did say that as the account holder and the one named on the bill by eon then I should have the ability to request a final reading and for the account to be changed into anothers name with their permission and the relevant procedure in place. ....we'll see what they say later

Edited by Deb T
forgot to add something

Ok...legal department called back....asked me a couple of questions re original situation/deal and to confirm varying bills in the interim of which I have them all luckily.

The end result is this, they're sending out somebody to verify the meter reading tomorrow at 2pm, the meter is within it's shelf life and doesn't require a change. They gave me an idea as to how much would be paid back if the meter reading was correct and it's a considerable sum of money and they confirmed that it will be paid to me direct.

I can't request a final meter reading until they've read it this time round, the account authorisation by the third party from way back has been rescinded...it should never have been placed on it but a reason for it not being easy to remove is that it was locked down to a particular dept within eon that deal with these kinds of issue but that dept has since merged with another and thus the reason why the computer kept saying no....

They confirmed that there are no warrants for entry having ever been issued although there was action scheduled again for September. It also appears that there are some costs that have been added to the account over the course of time but which have now squashed and will show on the next bill...

All of this they're sending in a letter first class today, I won't believe it until I have sight of it and I'll be sorely irritated if the meter is read and then no letter arrives...

They did apologise and he sounded genuine enough.

Who is the owner of the property and who is named on the tenancy agreement. Sending a copy of the names of the tenancy agreement would resolve this issue once and for all.

The person that left first of all, if they were the landlord, they may have requested that EON check with them prior to changing the names on the account, which is perhaps understandable.

With regards to the estimated reading, the longer you leave this the worse it will get, the meter may look as if it has gone round the clock, in which case you may lose any overpayment as no readings in a number of years will mean theres nothing to support the fact that your usage is lower

oK, to update..the letter from e-on arrived today, quite clearly sets out what the problem was and how it has been resolved and it is to my satisfaction except for one detail and that is the meter was supposed to have been read at 2pm on Tuesday but they haven't turned up but we'll see how it goes over the next few days. Pending the reading be made I can then ask for a final and for it to transfer into another name.

Thanks for the input/advice here...

i'm glad it seems sorted now. I've just read this thread from the start and from a similar instance i can totally understand what you were saying.

Shame i wasn't here earlier to offer a bit of support.

Well done though

IF YOU FEEL I HAVE HELPED YOU AT ALL PLEASE FEEL FREE TO TIP MY SCALES.

NATWEST PPI SUCCESS £490 25/08/09

NATWEST PPI 2nd CLAIM WON £1135 02/10/09

A & L PPI £395 WON

CREATION CLAIM PARTIAL REFUND £1825 01/04/10 NOW OFF TO FOS FOR THE REST

BARCLAYCARD STILL PENDING

LITTLEWOODS DCA . DEBT WIPED OUT AND CREDIT FILE UPDATED 23/09/09

It's quite refreshing to hear that there is a similar situation, it all sounds quite bizarre thats for sure.

Silly thing is I've made a request for a reading, nobody has turned up and now it's two appts they've missed. I've done my bit, I won't be extending my courtesy much further mind.

• 1 month later...

After many years of being off the radar with these people (see other thread) I gave them a call and eventually got the meter read. Haven't been particulary happy on how they've worked the bill out and have called them a couple of times to speak to them re the matter.

But on both calls I have had them ask several what I consider to be invasive questioning. After giving them the account number they then go on to ask me for the first line of my address and the post code...no problem with this....and then come a series of questions....which are....

D.o.b

Home owner or Tenant

Mobile telephone number

Home telephone number

Parents addresss

I haven't of course answered ahy of these but the first two questions were asked by the one representative and the last 3 by the second representative.

When I queried why they were asking such questions it was 'oh, well we are making sure that people can't gain access to your account....When I mentioned that none of the above requested details were or ever have been on the account their response was 'well it's to help us identify you' when I mentioned why not simply set up a password and my mothers maiden name or similar the answer was....'how we can help you today'

I suspect the real issue is that they were attempting to gain information that may assist them in the event of the account not being paid....but if eon think they'll have any of this information from me they can think again. Totally underhanded tactics as far as I'm concerned.

I have had a problem with EON (POWERGEN) fro a disputed debt from about four years ago. I have since moved out of the house i was in and they have now passed the debt on to Scotcall (dca) who are now constantly writing to my parents house. I haven't lived their for ten years!!

Don't give them any information, as you say they are trying to get as much info as they can should you decide the debt is in dispute and you move out.

Andy...

I agree with you Deb, I refuse to ask these questions as quite simply, I don't see how they are relevant.

I can appreciate DOB as people can forget phone numbers etc, and residential status is asked to ensure tenants don't buy central heating care, but the rest of it is not necessary for the purpose of the business.

The official response we're supposed to make is that it is to help us understand our customer needs better and to tailor future products and services to meet the customer base or something along those lines, but I don't see how knowing all of this will help - people are buying gas and electric - an essential item!

Andy there's a possibility that things are going to your parents address from a tracing enquiry made by ScotCall?

If the debt is in dispute why would you not want to give your forwarding address? It would make resolving the issue a lot more difficult

There is no debt, they actually owe me money but I think they owe me more money than what they are saying they do...

But yep, those questions are almost certainly tailored to gain as much information as they can for future days of unrest if an account goes tits up.

Will not give my forwarding address to anyone who can't find it. They will have done a trace but as i am not on the electoral register their any more (haven't been for over ten years) then they shouldn't be sending letters their full stop.

As you will have read in my last post the disputed debt is over four years old now and i will just wait until is statute barred before they get anything from me ie letter with true address.

I have spoken to Scotcall about sending letters to my parents house (pretended i was my brother) and told them i would be complaining to the OFT and TS about their conduct. They don't even put my name on the letter. It just has a surname on it. Totally against OFT guidelines.

Andy...

If you read the thread properly Mattlamb you would see i am no longer their.

I would prefer it if you would not post about this subject anymore as it is not my thread and i don't want to be intrusive of the OP's thread.

Please read threads properly before you comment as it is happening quite reguarly lately, people who comment who haven't bothered to read through the posts properly!!!!

Andy...

• 11 months later...

I guess they're not breaking any guidelines but I'm becoming increasingly concerned at the question / invasive manner that their call centre operatives are asking/adopting.

EON have the last twice I've called them asked

'Is the property owned by yourself'

and

d.o.b

British Gas have on three separate occasions in the last twelve months asked

'Is it your property'

and

'd.o.b'

and

'Are you married'

They have no right to this information, i am on the MPS and don't require marketing information but even then

d.o.b is not a question they should be asking....

I guess they ask for the purposes of billing and should an account fall into arrears etc etc but given I gave both companies a mobile number as a way of contacting me (I leave it in ansafone mode permanently) and if a bill is late they call 2 or 3 times a day then there is absolutely no way I would trust a call centre operative with my details.

I'd like to think they have a case to answer, they're a utility company not a money lender/bank etc.

Part of the reason for asking for date of birth is to ensure that any vulnerabilities are picked up - this becomes relevant when a customer is over 60 as Ofgem consider 60 as the point when someone is vulnerable, so to ensure supplies are not disconnected for elderly people DOB is relevant.

Also this information can be used for data protection to ensure the security of your account.

With regards to property ownership, this is asked usually for credit management reasons by profiling customers - their age, residential and employment status can help categorize someone and their pay propensity, which then enables a more personal approach should a payment problem occur.

If you don't want to give the information, then that's fine as you are not obligated, however they will continue to ask

Finding out if somebody is over 60 can be asked by 'Could you tell me how old you'll be on your next birthday' not d.o.b as for vulnerability, that is a joke, my aunt is 79, she's been on an economy 7 meter since whenever, she uses on average less than 1 unit a night, when we decided to look into her account because her charges seemed high and we asked her supplier how much she would have saved over a year on a different tariff of theirs the amount was £135 How is that looking after the 'vulnerable'?

Supplies disconnected would take some amount of process to get to at which point any 'vulnerability would most likely be identified.

As for data protection. rubbish, I can access my account via an automated system, it simply asks me my account number and my postcode, once it's been authenticated I can pay. speak to billing or whatever, no further checks are asked of me.

If security was an issue they'd ask for a passcode or something, they do not need d.o.b

As for property ownership. it has nothing to do with credit management, at least not in he way you describe, it isn't about fostering good relations it's more that if the proverbial hits the fan they want to know they can take you to court and have as much information on you as possible.

Utility companies are obliged to work with people should the bill become a problem, they do not need your d.o.b or if you own property or where you work, you can give them your circumstances if need be when phoning.

Essentially they're collecting data or trying to where they really have no right to it, there are enough companies/people/groups/bodies out there that have all of our details without the utility companies getting on the band wagon.

Many companies do use DOB to confirm identity in addition to your account number.

I believe one reason they ask if you are a homeowner or not is that the higher majority of unpaid accounts are from rented properties. Also a mobile telephone doesn't mean anything, you could be anyone living anywhere.

I agree that too many companies want to know way too much and I am very careful as to what information I give people/companies, but imho, giving a dob and phone number is no big deal when you are effectively asking a company to extend you credit in advance, all be it gas and electric or internet instead of money.