• Tweets

• I have recently found myself in financial difficulties and with the help of forum members in another thread regarding this, I think I can get myself sorted. My query here is how to deal with a Cifas marker that has been logged against me by one of my creditors for "evasion of payment". Admittedly yes I did get a £5000 loan with them and have not paid any payment but at the start of the year, which is when the loan landed, I realised I was going to be struggling to repay that and other debts and I contacted MCB to ask if there was any way I could extend the loan from 24 months to 36 months. I explained my situation and that I was going with a DMP and asked them if they could help me with this. They did not reply. I then emailed them again a month later explaining that my DMP was going ahead and could they confirm that the direct debit was indeed cancelled. Again, they did not reply. The DMP fell apart and so did everything else thereafter. My bank withdrew my overdraft and said I could not stay with them (I thought initially that it was because of the DMP) so I opened another account (Starling) and set up all my direct debits etc with the new bank. A month into being with the new bank, they contacted me and said they were closing my account in three months. So I started applying for other basic accounts and every single one of them either refused or revoked.  Through the help in the other thread, I requested a SAR from Cifas and discovered that I have this marker against my name for "evasion of payment". I have logged a complaint with MCB on the advice of other forum members, but my query really is do you think the marker is fair given that I did ask them for help and I did explain that I was going to be struggling financially to repay the loan over the original two years, and is there any way that I can get it removed? I fully admit that I have yet to make a payment to them and I suppose in my naivety and panic I thought if I emailed them early on they could extend the loan and help me out, but they didn't even reply  I did manage to open an account with Monzo before the marker was in place, but I am very concerned that if Monzo do what Starling did, I will have no bank account to pay my bills or get my wages paid into.  Realistically based on the information I have given here, what do you think my chances are of getting this marker removed? Any help/advice on this would be greatly appreciated x
    • Thank you dx, that is what I intend to do now. I have gone through all the SAR documents, a lot of which I am seeing for the first time! As per my previous post #116 letters and statements alleged to have been sent to me, as recorded on their system notes I have not received. Letters I have sent requesting information and account statements have not been recorded as being received by them, all were sent either by Recorded or Special Delivery. I have all the proof you menrtioned from my files for payments and from their SAR info for fees added. Thanks t
    • In my experience (not with car payments) but with many other things, my partner has been ill and signed off in the past and we have been unable to meet various commitments.  Naturally if you ring the call centre they are going to fob you off and tell you you must pay, that's why that never ever works. I would obtain a note from her GP listing all her health issues plus medications plus side effects, then write to the finance company with a copy of it, explaining the situation, as you have here, asking for a payment holiday. Perhaps mention that the car is very much needed for hospital appointments etc. It's likely the finance company would rather you pay till term end than, chase you for money they will never see, and sell the car at auction for a loss,  You can search some of my threads going back years, advising people to do this for Council Tax, Tax Credits, HMRC, Even a solicitors company and it always works, because contrary to popular belief people are reasonable.
    • Sorry, I haven't ever seen one of these agreements. Read it all and look out for anything that says when she can withdraw and when she is committed to go ahead. If it isn't clear she may need to call the housing provider and simply say what you posted here, she doesn't want to go ahead and how does she withdraw her swap application?
    • Thank you! Your head is like a power bank of knowledge.  Her health issues are short term, due to a relationship breakdown she took it pretty hard and has been signed off work on medication for 3 months. She only started her job in February 24 so does not qualify for any occupational sick benefits, which is where the ssp only comes in. (You will see me posting a few things over the coming days, whilst I try and sort some things for her)  I sat with her last night relaying all this back and she does want to work out a plan, she was ready to propose £100 for the next 3 months and then an additional £70 per month onto of her contractual to "catch up" but Money247 rejecting the payment holiday and demanding £200 thew her, which is why I came on here.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Signed Walking Possession.. Help!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5370 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think you are missing the point, the bailiff has not specified any fees charged on the walking possession agreement he has put a total amount outstanding and simply put "inclusive" against the fees, this is not legal. Schedule 5 details the costs the bailiff can charge, but he hasn’t done this.

Edited by UK27

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am desperately searching for something in your favour bawler.

UK27. I know what all these things say, but we 'need' to know if any of them actually invalidate the levy.

Uk are you typing in word and then pasting on here as the formatting your also pasting is distracting.

ive begged my mother to help me out, and she's had to BORROW £250 for me to use. i really cannot pay any more than that, i dont have anywhere else to turn. are they obliged to take that money and make arrangements at a later date? or can they refuse it a demand full payment?

me being new to all of this i STUPIDLY gave him my phone number!

they've been ringin me all night! do i answer??

OK in simple terms the bailiff must specify the costs otherwise the levy is irregular and therefore invalid, he has not done this, legally the levy is void. I have posted a link to the regulations have a look at 45 and then look at the walking possession agreement the bailiff has left, it is laziness on the part of the bailiff but nevertheless will invalidate the levy

I have some concerns about Conniff's motive on here as most of what is said seems to support the bailiff so would not be surprised if it was the bailiff. The term irregular relates to the state of the levy, this means that whilst the levy is not illegal because there is a liability order in force the actions of the bailiff constitute an irregularity and therefore an invalid levy.

**edit** Uk27, I think my 4,500 post against your 12 has some meaning.

Are you a lawyer - can you say catagorically and with definate certainty that an irregularity makes something invalid.

It's no good once the bailiff has taken the goods to say "well it was only my opinion".

Edited by Conniff
Please be ciivil - I take exception to being called a bailiff by a newbie.

In a nutshell because the bailiff has not specified the fees associated with the levy then it is invalid - he cannot effect entry to enforce the levy. Speak to them and tell them that you need more time to pay.

UK27- i've read through Regulation 45 but i cant see the part where it says the bailiff must detail or break down their charges in writing. could you point it out or post it for me please?

In a nutshell because the bailiff has not specified the fees associated with the levy then it is invalid - he cannot effect entry to enforce the levy.

You Keep Saying That, Where Is The Black And White Copy To Prove It????

5) The person levying distress on behalf of an authority shall carry with him the written authorisation of the authority, which he shall show to the debtor if so requested; and he shall hand to the debtor or leave at the premises where the distress is levied a copy of this regulation and Schedule 5 and a memorandum setting out the appropriate amount, and shall hand to the debtor a copy of any close or walking possession agreement entered into.

The memorandum setting out the appropriate amount relates to the chages in schedule 5

CONNIFF and UK27. i dont want you to fall out over this, i'm just trying to seek clarity on this matter as i dont think i have much time and im really worried, not been through this before. i just want to be confident in what i tell the bailiff first thing tomorrow.

the bailiff is collecting 3 liability orders he has put all accounts into 1 lump sum put all account numbers on this so he has 3 liability orders on 1 walking possession agreement if anything makes this levy invalid its this

the bailiff has not given a breakdown of charges (possibly invalidates the levy )

exempt goods on it does this make the levy invalid (possibly not as the they could remove the other goods )

(possibly invalidates the levy )

Unless you know for certain, the above hallowitch post is the way it 'should' be posted.

You mustn't give anyone false hope unless you 'know' that is how it is and not just your interpretation.

ive begged my mother to help me out, and she's had to BORROW £250 for me to use. i really cannot pay any more than that, i dont have anywhere else to turn. are they obliged to take that money and make arrangements at a later date? or can they refuse it a demand full payment?

me being new to all of this i STUPIDLY gave him my phone number!

they've been ringin me all night! do i answer??

i dont mean to be rude to anyone, but i just want to do the right thing, i dont want to make it easy for the bailiff, thats the reason why im seeking clarity.

the quote above is the only thing i can think of if i cant get clarity. do you think its something i should consider? or should i still not panic?! ( now..im panicky!!)

i dont mean to be rude to anyone, but i just want to do the right thing, i dont want to make it easy for the bailiff, thats the reason why im seeking clarity.

the quote above is the only thing i can think of if i cant get clarity. do you think its something i should consider? or should i still not panic?! ( now..im panicky!!)

And that is the reason I am asking for clarity from UK27, opinions are not good enough.

If you say to the bailiff 'someone told me', they will just laugh.

I have said all that I can, I do not believe that you have to worry, of course you will have to pay the debt but how you deal with the bailiffs is up to you. The fact that the bailiffs have been calling you all night is a bit strange, I wonder if they are following this thread, in any case they cannot remove your goods over the phone so the best thing to do is speak to them. They really do not want your goods as they are unlikely to cover the debt and costs, speak to them as avoidance gives them no option but to call and enforce. Failing that take the advice of Conniff, 4,500 posts must mean something.

Okay so at the moment, the strongest way of trying to invalidate the WP is to highlight the fact that the paperwork was not filled correctly? In terms of not having the full breakdown for the fees? Is there a way I can get this in writng to stop them to stop coming to take my things?

Also, what about the upper and lower casing of my name? the WP clearly states that it should be filled in BLOCK CAPITALS.

It is my understanding that when written capitals..they are dealing with a different persons..does this make the contract void? As it would be when you send off a passport and fill it in lower case, it is sent back. If the document went before a judge, would it be accepepted?

I would say the best way is to offer the money you have as a downpayment. They don't have to agree to the payment though, but at least if they do, that will give you time to work something out.

HI conniff, I have a question if you can help?

do you know which regulation/legislation this is taken from?

it may help me tomorrow.

thanks!

2) The following articles belonging to a debtor shall be exempt from distress if they are at the time of the distress in a dwellinghouse and are reasonably required for the use in the dwellinghouse of the person residing there or a member of the household-

a) beds or bedding;

b) household linen;

c) chairs or settees;

d) tables;

e) food;

f) lights or light fittings;

g) heating appliances;

h) curtains;

i) floor coverings;

j) furniture, equipment or utensils used for cooking storing or eating food;

k) refrigerators;

l) articles used for cleaning, mending, or pressing clothes;

m) articles used for cleaning the dwellinghouse;

n) furniture used for storing-

(i) clothing, bedding or household linen;

(ii) articles used for cleaning the dwellinghouse; or

(iii) utensils used for cooking or eating food;

o) articles used for safety in the dwellinghouse or of household articles.

I'm sorry bawler, I can't find any list on official government sites, there are a lot on debt counceling sites. All I can find is the following.

There are some things that the bailiffs are not allowed to take at all, such as goods that are rented or hired. The regulations also say that the following items are exempt and cannot be taken:

• "such tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment as are necessary for use personally in employment, business or vocation";
  • "such clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as are necessary for satisfying basic domestic needs of the person and family".

This list is not very specific so you may find that bailiffs have a different idea of what items are necessary for you to keep and what can be taken. You can complain about what the bailiffs take if you feel the items should have been exempt.

The Walking possession agreement is an agreement signed by the debtor which allows the goods to remain with the debtor as long as they keep to a payment arrangement. However, if the debtor defaults on a payment arrangement the bailiff can return, force entry and seize the goods.

The bailiff can only seize goods which belong to the debtor. The bailiff can seize goods which are jointly owned even if the other joint owner is not the debtor.

The debtor can apply on form N245 to suspend the warrant to seize goods and to make an offer of payment that the debtor can afford. The form lists details of their income, expenditure, debts, and should include an offer of payment. The bailiff will not take any further action once the debtor has applied on the form N245 and sent it to the court. There is a fee of £35.00. The debtor can apply on form EX160 for exemption from the fee if they are on Income Support, IBJSA, or pension credit. Others on a low income may get remission if their income is sufficiently low enough. As the Balliffs are coming tomorrow this will not be of help straight away.

It may be possible to get the bailiff withdrawn if there are Special Circumstances, severe financial difficulties will be included in the list of Special Circumstances.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

thanks for all that ukaviator, everyone’s been so helpful. looking at form n245 now. been trying to make sense of the tribunals, courts and enforcement act 2007. i was thinking of trying this before you replied Joint Committee On Human Rights - Fifth Report maybe ‘exempt goods; 2.23 thru 2.25'. is it an option if form n245 doesn't work out for me?