N/Power Threatening Enforcement Officer To Home!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had duel fuel with N/power for 18 months now, paying £65.00 pm by standing order. In January this year my monthly standing order payment was sent back. I contacted them asking why, to be told they do not accept standing orders! I explained that they had for 18 months and was told i needed to set up a direct debit. I refused because i had seen on watchdog that they over estimate bills. So they sent me a payment card saying i had to pay £125pm! I am in a 3 bedroom semi, with my 2 daughters, all light bulbs are energy saving ones and we turn all electrics off when not in use. I have also turned off radiators in rooms that are not used, to save on energy bills.Next thing i know, i recieve a bill for £600 for energy used going back to October 2008 till April 2009. I contacted them again, as cannot understand if i have been paying monthly, how i owe for 2008. I was told they estimate the bills. I asked why, when i give them meter readings, they said they didnt recieve them.How can this be so, when i have spoken to them.I then recieved a letter and payment card saying i was on a monthly plan of £99pm. Its getting beyond belief, and is really stressing me out. I have managed to make 3 payments since the bill came, reducing it to £420, but cannot find the rest just like that. I explained to them i am on tax credits and 2 months behind with my mortgage.They have now sent a letter saying they are sending someone to my property on 31st May to disconnect gas and electric supply.I again called them stating that this was uncalled for, as i have made payments to them, and had not refused to pay the bill, i just needed more time.They said i needed to set up payment plan of £135 pm.How has it gone from 125 to 99 and then to 135? Is there anything i can do? I have been told now that they will not disconnect but someone will visit me on sunday 31st May.What do they want from me,i am trying my best to pay, but at the moment its down to food or bills.. I was told that if i was on income support i would just be charged for usage, what does this mean? If i am paying for more than my usage, i want to know why. Is it fair to charge me for more than i use?Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Don't stop your mortgage, that is your number one priority.

I assume you are getting bills from Npower, check them to see if they say 'estimate', also check to see if those bills are for more than you have paid in the past. Do a few sums and see if they have got it right.

Hi Conniff, thank you for your reply. I havn't stopped paying my mortgage, just problem finding the money, as my business collapsed due to the credit crunch. The bills are varied some say estimate and some from readings, although they should all be from readings as i call them, letting them know. At all times i have been in contact with N/power, and cant understand if i was in credit by £250 one minute, and paying monthly amount for usage, as calculated by them, i now owe them £600.I was told my usage had droped, due to my turning off several radiators, but i am now paying more!Anyway i have registered with a cheaper utilities provider now, so will try and get this paid and get rid of them.

Don't pay if until and if you know the amount is correct. Your financial situation sounds bad enough enough paying off something that you don;t really owe!

Is the latest bill based upon a proper reading, or an estimate. If it was an estimate, I think you should call them up and give them the proper reading, for them to amemnd the bill.

Also, if you are giving NPower the readings and they are sometimes still using estimates, it is possible they have got the wrong information about your meter. Does the meter serial number on the meter match that on the bill? How long have you had the meter - siince you moved in, or more recently?

As an aside, is it just me or does it seem that a huge number of problems on this forum are experienced by NPower customers?

Standing Orders are not an issue for the utility - all they see is money coming in, and you could have paid it in cash over the counter at your local bank for all they knew. However, an SO isn't variable, so it probably won;t marry up with what you owe, and for a regular payment budget scheme, THEY want the power to modify the amounts they take, which is why they insist on a DD or they won't allow it to switch to the scheme.

I think you will find that this is Npower just being bloody minded. I have an agreement to pay them every two weeks as and when I get my incapacity benefit. They gave me the account details to pay into and I use online banking without any problems from them.

dpick

They can accept standing orders, you just need sort code account now and your account reference no it is no different to a payment made through online banking for example.

It does seem as though the billing must've been estimated, however this does not explain why your readings were not used. Sometimes if a reading is a long way out in comparison to the last reading on the account it is rejected ie not billed, but there should still be some record of it.

I think you should get some money advice from CAB or National Debtline. Don't mention you business as I know CAB are not really supposed to deal with business debt, just say you lost ur job.

You NEED to do everything possible to pay your essential expenses, mortgage, council & utilities, but as above you need to satisfy yourself that the bill is legitimate. Also speak to thier energy efficiency team as they made be able to help you cut your usage.

Finally when comparing suppliers best to use a eyars consumption, but as you don't have this best you can doe it check the price per unit. Sometimes a comparison will show a saving that is not genuine.

If you are a high elec user Sign Online 15 usually saves money.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Also if someone comes round they can't do anything without the matter going to court so they will simply discuss payment options. It sounds worse than it is but nontheless I understand it would be most unwelcome.

The views I express here are mere speculation based on my experience. I am not qualified nor insured to give legal advice and any action you take will be at your own risk.

Thank you all for your comments, its greatly appreciated. I have spoken with N/power and have set up a monthly payment plan with them, as it was the only way to keep them happy. This has all been down to them returning my January standing order payment, they were happy recieving it for 18 months! Anyway am working away at my finances and will try and get this paid asap. I did an energy comparison on the Martin Lewis site, through energywatch, and have got a much better deal. My bills should be lower now, as my consumption has gone own by nearly 300kw since last year! I am very careful and all bulbs are enrgy saving ones.

Also if someone comes round they can't do anything without the matter going to court so they will simply discuss payment options. It sounds worse than it is but nontheless I understand it would be most unwelcome.

They sent me a letter saying they were coming to disconnect my gas and electric even though I was no longer a customer of theirs, flippin nits! :lol:

Magna res est vocis et silentii temperamentum

The great thing is to know when to speak and when to keep quiet.

(Seneca the Younger (attributed), Proverbs, 74)

Speech is given to many; intelligence to few - but if its well said, I said it!

:p

Its a standard letter, like most companies the majority of the work is automated hence the constant nonsense. All of the utilities are the same I'm afraid.