72 hour notice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5508 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Having a bit of difficulty with a debt collection agency, pretty sure I'm on top of it. Seems that someone used my name for a bill 2 years after I moved out of that house.

I have ample evidence in the form of tenancy agreements & bills from my current place to show where I was living while the bill was run up. I have been in touch with the company with whom the debt was run up & their agents, but until I received this I ignored the company that has been sending the letters. On receiving this I sent off one of the CAG letters to tell them to go forth & procreate.

Anyway, here is one of the letters I was sent. I thought it might amuse you:

72 HOUR NOTICE

Your file is being reviewed to decide the best course of action to take, which may be either court action or a personal visit by one of my field officers.

In addition, I am obliged to inform you that you are now on 72 hour notice, and therefore you have only yourself to blame if you fail to deal with this matter prior to the expiry of this time.

The way you have treated this account is totally unacceptable and non-compliance after legal proceedings have commenced may require you to attend court to answer questions about your lifestyle. [:grin:;-) -Ed]

Without any doubt whatsoever we can prove to the court that we have made every effort to resolve this unpaid debt and I strongly suggest you contact me without further delay.

Please note that in absence of payment or any valid dispute we will pursue this matter - with or without your cooperation.

yours sincerely

etc.

I had this problem. Someone got an catalogue in my name after I moved.

You may or may not want to do this bit but I called the DCA and got as many details as I could.

Date account was opened.

Date account was defaulted.

The account details ... The date of birth was wrong.. I refused to give them my real one even though they said I should... Why should I, its not my account.

Call your local police station (non emergency number) and report the crime giving all the details you have got from the DCA. The police will log it but theres not a lot they will do. The point here is to get the ref number.

Get a crime refrence number and write to whomever is sending you letters (Pheonix??).

I wrote and requested a copy of the CCA (see templates). I also mentioned that anything they send would be invalid because I never signed such an agreement as this is fraud. I gave them the crime ref number.

They have not bothered me since.

Keep copys of the letters and file them.

• Haha 1

I had this problem. Someone got an catalogue in my name after I moved.

You may or may not want to do this bit but I called the DCA and got as many details as I could.

Date account was opened.

The account details ... The date of birth was wrong.. I refused to give them my real one even though they said I should... Why should I, its not my account.

Call your local police station (non emergency number) and report the crime giving all the details you have got from the DCA. The police will log it but theres not a lot they will do. The point here is to get the ref number.

Get a crime refrence number and write to whomever is sending you letters (Pheonix??).

I wrote and requested a copy of the CCA (see templates). I also mentioned that anything they send would be invalid because I never signed such an agreement as this is fraud. I gave them the crime ref number.

They have not bothered me since.

Keep copys of the letters and file them.

It's a company called Roxburghe & it's a water bill. Would there be a CCA?

Will probably follow this up with a report to the police, just in case anybody else creeps out the woodwork. If it's happened with one bill, it may have happened with others.

I need to fire off a letter today to the water company's agents (not Roxburghe) with a statement from my most recent landlord. I've just moved in with my girlfriend, so I got my landlord to sign a statement to say when I moved out.

Having a bit of difficulty with a debt collection agency, pretty sure I'm on top of it. Seems that someone used my name for a bill 2 years after I moved out of that house.

I have ample evidence in the form of tenancy agreements & bills from my current place to show where I was living while the bill was run up. I have been in touch with the company with whom the debt was run up & their agents, but until I received this I ignored the company that has been sending the letters. On receiving this I sent off one of the CAG letters to tell them to go forth & procreate.

Anyway, here is one of the letters I was sent. I thought it might amuse you:

Ha.....Who thinks up this stuff ?!

So would a Judge be interested in hearing about your 'lifestyle' ?. Anything juicy ?

No I dont think a CCA would work in your case but I would write to the water company mentioning that you have contacted the police over this matter and provide your evidence that you have moved and the crime ref number hopefully they will see sense and drop it.

Send to the water company and ignor the DCA, they are only intrested in money.

Send it rec delivery to be sure they get it.

Without any doubt whatsoever we can prove to the court that we have made every effort to resolve this unpaid debt and I strongly suggest you contact me without further delay

Dear Cretins

If you have no doubts then I suggest you take me to Court where I will be only to delighted to prove to a judge that this is not my debt and request that costs be awarded against you.

yours etc

Dear Morons

Thank you for your letter dated (date), the rather silly content of which is noted. My position has already been made clear to you and your client, and is unchanged.

Whilst any proceedings issued will be vexatious, I look forward to setting the facts before a Court, and will be claiming my costs in the matter.

No further correspondence will be entered into.

If you do not understand this letter, you should seek professional advice.

Dear Sir

I would like written clafication on a few issues

would the 72 hours started from when

a. the letter was written

b. the letter was delivered

c. the letter was posted

could I also please ask what time zone you were in when the above 72 hour period stated as this might affect how I respond when I recieve my doorstep visit.

Also could you please ask your collection agent to wear red and carry a bag as too look like a postman as I wouldnt want the neighbours to think I had and more male callers after the bondage party last week

PS does your collection agent have a moustache ?.

Case Statistics 13 Wins - 0 Losses

Cases In Progress 2

Ha.....Who thinks up this stuff ?!

So would a Judge be interested in hearing about your 'lifestyle' ?. Anything juicy ?

I enjoy the outdoors - hiking, surfing & that sort of thing, &, of course, M'lud, you'll remember me from the local S&M club.:lol:

Date account was opened.

Bearing in mind there's probably not a CCA, are there any other details I should request?

Bearing in mind there's probably not a CCA, are there any other details I should request?

Well I dont know, I have never had an account with a utility company before so I dont know what they ask but basicly I was just trying to get as many facts as I could to give to the police.

By the way, without trying to cause you worry..... getting utility bills in false names is the eaisest way of getting yourself a new identy. You might want to do a quick check on your credit report to make sure theres no mysterious accounts.

Once you have utility bills you can open all sorts of accounts.

And you might also like to add (courtesy of ScarletPimpernel)..

If you are in any doubt as to my position in this matter please refer to Arkell vs Pressdram

see here - http://www.nasw.org/users/nbauman/arkell.htm

Sorry to move off the point slightly, but I have to ask.......... is what I read in that link true?? If it is...... then it is absolutely hillarious!!!! :D

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

Well I dont know, I have never had an account with a utility company before so I dont know what they ask but basicly I was just trying to get as many facts as I could to give to the police.

By the way, without trying to cause you worry..... getting utility bills in false names is the eaisest way of getting yourself a new identy. You might want to do a quick check on your credit report to make sure theres no mysterious accounts.

Once you have utility bills you can open all sorts of accounts.

Once this is finalised I will definitely be getting a credit check, I did get one about 18 months ago, but it might have been longer. It's made me quite nervous.

I will also be asking what evidence was used to confirm the identity of the account holder.

Once this is finalised I will definitely be getting a credit check, I did get one about 18 months ago, but it might have been longer. It's made me quite nervous.

You can get a totally free basic one, independent from the 'big three' from;

https://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/account/create.htm

They don't sell your details on to anyone either, unlike the others.

You can get a totally free basic one, independent from the 'big three' from;

https://www.annualcreditreport.co.uk/account/create.htm

They don't sell your details on to anyone either, unlike the others.

Ta, registered with them, need to wait for the code since my credit cards are still registered at my folks' address (I'm 32 :eek:)

• 2 weeks later...

Kicking this back up:

So after a snarky letter from me to NW saying I want all the information they have about the account since as I have been the victim of fraud I will be collecting as much evidence as I can prior to informing the rozzers.

I get a call this evening from NW, so they ask me for my date of birth & like a braindead moron I give it to them instead of insisting they give me the DoB they have for the account. I've been kicking myself for not insisting that they give me the DoB on their records before I gave my DoB, but nothing I can do about it now.

Assuming they are not telling porky pies or being downright criminal the person who set up the account gave my correct DoB.

(I still have evidence of when I moved out, insofar as I have phone bills that change from one address to another; telephone & broadband connection bill for the place I moved into. A signed statement from my LL to say when I moved out along with final bills from electricity and phone.)

Now I've been working on the principle that it was grubby students who found some junk mail & set up an account in my name, but having my correct DoB is a whole new scary side of things. I've been trying to work out where it could have come from - is it included on electoral records - those ones sent out by the council every so often for people to update who lives in a place.

The other thing is the account was set up in spring 07, the house was sold in summer 07, but the account continued to late summer 08.

Annoyingly I've forgotten my old landlady's name & two email upgrades down the line, I doubt I can find anything with it on. I have, by the power of t'interweb (& £3), found the current owner (a property development company registered at a residential address - another £3 will probably net me the name of the owner or £5 from companies house).

Should I consider getting in touch with the company to find out who lived there at the time &, if possible, ask them for details of the individuals, or if they would prefer only to deal with the correct authorities check they possess the names of the tenants so I can pass that on to the rozzers. When I make my complaint.

Will keep trying to track down my old LL, with a view to getting the information about the tenancy out of her. Since we had some sort of relationship - we met once, but she took a money from me - she might be willing to shed some light on it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

tia

GM