• Tweets

• I've read loads of old messages about what to do but feel my case is different, it's a bit of a back story so ill break it down. - Had a letter from an Italian province in July of 2020 for a speeding offence in 2019 for 575 euros, was in a hire car I used for work, no longer work for them and heard nothing from either. - Thought blimey, but went to pay it anyway, it had doubled to over 1100 euros, yeah I can't afford paying that, filled out the attached information sheet to say it was me driving but I have no money or job due to COVID (true story) and sent it back (durrrr) - Heard nothing until December of 2023, a letter from an appointed solicitor from Florence saying if I don't pay, we will chase you through the legal system with costs beared to you. - May of this year, I get a letter from CLI (Credit Limits International) basically saying they have been appointed to carry out the collection, £1475. - Stupidly, I started the 'three letter process' asking for proof etc, and they replied a few days ago with a copy of the fines I had received from Italy, they stated the debt has no terms and conditions as it relates to a fine in Italy and the debt is not subject to the Consumer Credit agreement. I translate that to "at the moment we don't own the debt and have been given authority from Italy to pursue the debt". That is where I am currently at, I would begrudge giving in and paying an obscene amount. As seen from similar threads, I know a threat of a visit is coming, followed by a threat of court action, but annoyingly it hasn't been mentioned how these cases were concluded and the threads are now locked. I've read to ignore them, but can't help but feel that because it's such a substantial amount that they will feel it's worthy of pursuing this no matter the hoops they have to jump through. Along with admitting it was me driving and opening the can of worms by contacting the DCA, it wouldn't look good for me should it ever get to a courtroom.  Has anyone with previous experience managed to 'get away with it'? Anyone know what they're capable of other than nagging me? I'm not after any moral judgment.
    • take the SD card out and put on a pc/laptop then run recuva on it in  select videos only option select specific location hit browse then select drive letter of the SD card. then next  then deep scan then go have a cup of tea..  when done dont recover the all files back to the card select a new folder on your pc/laptop        
    • hi all, i will list my curmcumstance first then list the details of the penalty charge - we are 2 diabled people being affected by the cost of living crisis and are skint etc. i am disabled with mobility issues(arthritis in knees and ankles and gout) and cant operate car pedals anymore so i let a friend up the road use my car in exchange for her driving me about. its a good arrangement as i get a 'chauffer' and she gets the use of car. the car is parked in her drive which is better as i was refused a disabled space (even on appeal) and too much congestion to park the car outside my house. my friend is vulnerable as she has suffered depression and suicidal thoughts since the loss of her mother a few years back, she is dyslexic, she is a carer for one of her sons that is disabled due to mental illness and mobility. she lives in a council house and cannot work. we went to iceland ..attracted by the 10items for £10 offer - we've never been there before. a large artic lorry was parked accross the car park blocking the view of one of the parking signs and blocking the disabled bays where the pay&display machine is. by the time she helped me out of the car and then went to see if it was pay&display then came back to me at the car she said she thinks it was pay even for disabled, so we looked for change in the car which we didnt have (she normally goes asda which dont need to pay for parking)so then we said we'd either go get change or go to asda...so then by the time it took her to help me back in and get out the car park took 15 minutes...5 minutes overstay past the 10minutes grace. the letter from excel parking came through and i sent it back giving her name as driver (before i saw on here that you shouldnt name the driver) then i appealed explaining what happened (lorry blocking etc) and even said we were being descriminated (advised by citizen advice)as we are disabled and 15minutes is not long enough for a crippled disabled man and a woman with dyslexia to read and understandd the sign and get out, then back in the car and look for change then get out the car park in 15minutes. i even explained she was a vulnerable person on anti-depressants and even sent a photo of medication and said if you need a doctors note then let me know....the appeal was rejected. i've emailed iceland over 50 times and they just wont tell excel to cancel this charge - they are ignorant and ive even asked them why they have a webpage saying 'iceland combatting the cost of living crisis' pretending to help their customers and they wont comment...they'd rather put more stress and anxiety on an already suicidal vulnerable person just to get money out of them..so their 'help' during this crisis is a lie as it wont even extend to disabled customers. she has now received 2 letters from DCBL saying she owes £170 for 5minutes of overstay. the last one is a final demand. as she cant read or write very well ive sent a recorded letter to DCBL (as advised by citizen advice) asking not to attend the property due to a vulnerable woman inside the property as it will only exasperate the situation, they have ignored it and basically said we dont care, you still owe. could anyone please advise - we are not very good with letters or these situations and are slow on the uptake.   1 The date of infringement? 28th dec 2023   2 Have you yet appealed to the parking company yet? [Y/N?] yes   If you have then please post up whatever you sent and how you sent it and the date you sent it, suitably redacted. [as a PDF- follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   Has there been a response? yes   Please AS A PDF FILE  ONLY ..post it up as well, suitably redacted. - follow the upload guide]cant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   If you haven't appealed yet - .........DONT ! seek advice on your topic first.   Have you received a Notice To Keeper? (NTK) [must be received by you between 29-56 days] yes   What date is on it? 15th january 2024   Did the NTK provide photographic evidence? yes   [scan up BOTHSIDES to ONE PDF of the PCN and your NTK - follow the upload guide] please LEAVE IN LOCATION AND ALL DATES/TIMES/£'scant do that - will have to get my son to do it when he visits   3 Did the NTK mention Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (PoFA) [Y/N?] not on the front - maybe on the back but cannot find the letter now   4 If you appealed after receiving the NTK, did the parking company give you any information regarding the further appeals process? [it is well known that parking companies will reject any appeal whatever the circumstances] yes   5 Who is the parking company? excel   6. Where exactly [Carpark name and town] did you park? gravesend in iceland    
    • Hi Dave, I had no updates on this PCN since my last post in July 2019.  I received no further communications from the parking company.  I changed my address in May 2022. Thanks, I will send a letter to Excel parking to inform about the change in the address. 
    • I have a BMW Advanced Car Eye 3 Pro - I think it's 50/50  In any case, none of the documents / photos sent in the SAR showed a ticket on the car. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Invalid Default Notices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Haggis

This happened to me, in that MBNA sold my Account to CL Finance 4 days before the remedy date.

The Notice of asignment was dated 4 days before the remedy day, also the Court papers that was submitted stated the date that the account was taken over.

So all in all they made a big B........up in asigning the account.

Gaz

Have you got a thread for this Gaz? Would be great to have a read

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the account was sold in it's entirety as an absolute assignment then I believe this would represent an unlawful rescission as they sold all rights to the third party, thus effectually demanding the full balance before you had exhausted the time to remedy the law says you must have.

On the other hand, if the assignment was just equitable and the DCA was merely being 'prepped' in the background for the expectation of you not providing remedy I suspect it would be overlooked as technically the creditor still has control over the account and hasn't demanded the full balance.

However, with the above scenario if you had actually received a letter demanding the full balance from a DCA before the time had expired on the default sent by the original creditor then I believe that would be an unlawful rescission as again, you have not been given the full time the law says you must have.

There is a difference between an unlawful repudiation and an unlawful rescission as well, something I am also getting my head round.

In order to be able to accept the creditors unlawful rescission/repudiation you either need to have an invalid default notice which they subsequently terminate on with a letter demanding the full balance or..

A correct/invalid default notice that they then don't allow you to act on by prematurely demanding the full balance before the remedy date on the default notice, either themselves, or via a DCA.

Think that's about the jist of it all. What's critical primarily is the validity of the default notice and secondary the termination letter sent on the back of that default notice.

If a creditor therefore merely sends an invalid default notice it is of little value in itself unless the termination follows. The creditor can merely re-issue the default, this time corrected.

The termination and how/when it's done is the actual 'icing on the cake'.

The letter says that the debt has been sold to Lowell and all enquiries should be made to them.

Im unsure if this is an equitable or absolute assignment. How would I find out?

I have no legal qualifications whatsoever, so please check any input I have for accuracy. And please correct me if you disagree!

Lowell would have no right to the debt without having received a Notice of Assignment from the original creditor. I'm not sure if there's any requirement to send a copy to the debtor but presumably it would show up with a SAR.

The letter says that the debt has been sold to Lowell and all enquiries should be made to them.

Im unsure if this is an equitable or absolute assignment. How would I find out?

If the debt truly has been sold to them it's an absolute assignment.

An equitable assignment relates to the original creditor asking a third party (DCA) to collect the debt. The DCA merely has a right to get involved and can't for example issue litigation in their own name. Any litigation they start would have to name both the original creditor and the DCA as co-claimants to the action.

This is something many DCA's/creditors forget when they start litigation and gives you the opportunity to question the right of the DCA to actually start action in their own name if they merely have the right to collect.

In such eventuality I suspect this would be a complete defence in itself under their 'right to action'.

question.

when a default notice is issued and the 14 days has ran out to rectify the breach, is there a time limit before they can terminate the agreement due to the breach. i have seen somewhere??? that when a default is not fulfilled by the 14th day they have to give it 1 clear month or x amount of days before they can terminate.:confused:

cab

dont think so- they can do it when they like

although if the DN says we WILL terminate on or after 14 days then you can take them at their word and assume that after 14 days the agreement is terminated

there is also argument that even the word MAy terminate in the DN is sufficient although i wouldnt like to push that one myself

If the account was sold in it's entirety as an absolute assignment then I believe this would represent an unlawful rescission as they sold all rights to the third party, thus effectually demanding the full balance before you had exhausted the time to remedy the law says you must have.

On the other hand, if the assignment was just equitable and the DCA was merely being 'prepped' in the background for the expectation of you not providing remedy I suspect it would be overlooked as technically the creditor still has control over the account and hasn't demanded the full balance.

However, with the above scenario if you had actually received a letter demanding the full balance from a DCA before the time had expired on the default sent by the original creditor then I believe that would be an unlawful rescission as again, you have not been given the full time the law says you must have.

There is a difference between an unlawful repudiation and an unlawful rescission as well, something I am also getting my head round.

In order to be able to accept the creditors unlawful rescission/repudiation you either need to have an invalid default notice which they subsequently terminate on with a letter demanding the full balance or..

A correct/invalid default notice that they then don't allow you to act on by prematurely demanding the full balance before the remedy date on the default notice, either themselves, or via a DCA.

Think that's about the jist of it all. What's critical primarily is the validity of the default notice and secondary the termination letter sent on the back of that default notice.

If a creditor therefore merely sends an invalid default notice it is of little value in itself unless the termination follows. The creditor can merely re-issue the default, this time corrected.

The termination and how/when it's done is the actual 'icing on the cake'.

as a layman you can use the word unlawful termination or rescission or repudiation you are not expected to be sufficiently knowledgeable to know the finest distinctions

so long as the essence of your response is that you have accepted their unlwaful act it is fine

assignments are not my strong point - i havn't had any yet so not bothered to gen up on them so cant give you an answer on that one

you need to look around the threads

search on "assignments"

I know the feeling - thats why I didn't learn anything about defaults until now. Its such boring reading it doesnt sink in unless i really need to know it.

There are two types of assignment, equitable and absolute. Equitable assignment is where the creditor confers the duties but not the rights of the agreement to a third party ie collection. Absolute assignment confers both the rights and duties to a third party ie sale. So absolute assignment is termination.

There are two types of assignment, equitable and absolute. Equitable assignment is where the creditor confers the duties but not the rights of the agreement to a third party ie collection. Absolute assignment confers both the rights and duties to a third party ie sale. So absolute assignment is termination.

got that bit

but why if the whole debt is sold lock stock and barrel does the agreement terminate?

surely the new owner of the debt takes on all its rights and responsibilities?

debt "books" are bought and sold almost on a daily basis

I had a mortgage that got sold from the OC to another bank- it did not terminate the mortgage?

got that bit

but why if the whole debt is sold lock stock and barrel does the agreement terminate?

I had a mortgage that got sold from the OC to another bank- it did not terminate the mortgage?

I assume that is due to the fact that they carried on with your agreement, making monthly payments and accepting the terms of the Mortgage.

got that bit

Think its due to the DCA's not holding consumer credit licences and therefore unable to perform the same duties as the original lender...

So if a bank sells it card business to another bank it can continue to function as a credit card under the new bank ala MSDW - Goldfish - Barclays...

whereas if MSDW sells to a DCA all they can do is recover the money, they cant provide you with credit to buy anything and hence the agreement has been terminated...

Thats my simple view on it anyway :-)

S.

Notice of Assignment

To create the notice required when a contract has been assigned. You must give notice to the other contracting party of the assignment. Without this notice, they are under no obligation to pay you (the person to whom the contract is assigned) and could continue to pay the person whom they first signed the contract with. You would not be able to claim any of the money Assignment. Transfer of ownership of a property, or of benefits, interests, liabilities, rights under a contract (such as an insurance policy), by one party (the assignor) to another (the assignee)

Deed of assignment

1. Agreement under which some or all assets of an insolvent debtor are assigned to a trustee, for selling them and distributing the sale proceeds equitably among the creditors.

2. assigment of a part of the proceeds of a letter of credit by its beneficiary (usually an exporter or seller) to the manufacturer or producer (of the goods being exported or sold) as a guarantee of payment for those goods. Also called Letter Of Assignment.

Absolute assignment

assignment in which all (and not merely a portion of) benefits, liabilities, and/or rights are transferred by one party to another, without any pre-condition.

Collateral assignment

asset assignment in which ownership rights are transferred only as an additional security for a loan, and revert to the assignor when the loan is repaid.

Equitable assignment

assignment which does not fulfill the statutory criteria for a legal assignment An equitable assignment may be made in one of two ways:

1. The assignor can inform the assignee that he transfers a right or rights to him.

2. The assignor can instruct the other party or parties to the agreement to discharge their obligation to the assignee instead of the assignor.

Only the benefit of an agreement may be assigned.There is no requirement for written notice to be given or received. The only significant difference between a legal assignment and an equitable assignment is that an equitable assignee often cannot bring an action in its own name against the third party contractor, but must fall back on the rules governing equitable assignments and join the assignor as party to the action.

cab

• Haha 1

Great stuff here.

So what would constitute a notice of assignement?

For example MBNA have written a simple letter stating that the account has been sold to Lowell and any enquiries should now be directed to them. Does this suffice?

Do Lowell also have to provide a notice of assignment before commencing collection action?

The Notice of Assignment comes from the the creditor. It is supposed to be delivered by Recorded delivery but it never is. All the DCA has to send you is a letter telling you they have bee assigned the debt.

Or, as in one of my accounts, the Notice of Assignment is sent together with the Notice of Acquiring (whatever it's called!) by the new DCA. Written on the OC's letterhead, not even signed off, and both the letters in the same envelope from the DCA :-o

Think its due to the DCA's not holding consumer credit licences and therefore unable to perform the same duties as the original lender...

So if a bank sells it card business to another bank it can continue to function as a credit card under the new bank ala MSDW - Goldfish - Barclays...

whereas if MSDW sells to a DCA all they can do is recover the money, they cant provide you with credit to buy anything and hence the agreement has been terminated...

Thats my simple view on it anyway :-)

S.

thanks yes, i remember that part- and that is understood- that would be a clear unlawful termination on the part of the OC

but is it not the case that many assignees do hold a CCl and can service the agreement,

got that bit

listening to that arguement it seems HFO CAPITAL want both they purport to have absolute when they send you that fake document supposed to be from the bank then when that fails they then go back to court if they get chance asking for equitable ,,but they are a company registered abroad and i am argueing with the CRA'S but they will not remove the default from HFO ggrr mind you i aint acted on it apart from sending experian a letter warning them i shall hold them jointly liable for entering a default that is not altogether legal as it stands it is now costing me an extra 102.00 per month because i got refused a further advance from my bank because of it i did not know hfo had registered it ...i gotta start making plans of attack...sorry to but in guys..

The Notice of Assignment comes from the the creditor. It is supposed to be delivered by Recorded delivery but it never is. All the DCA has to send you is a letter telling you they have bee assigned the debt.

Thanks Pinky, is this a credible defence or just another issue the courts choose to overlook?

On the off-chance does anyone know if this information can be found in the Consumer Credit Act under assignments or similar? Would have a look myself but can't get round to that until later on :rolleyes:.

Thanks Pinky, is this a credible defence or just another issue the courts choose to overlook?

On the off-chance does anyone know if this information can be found in the Consumer Credit Act under assignments or similar? Would have a look myself but can't get round to that until later on :rolleyes:.

Assignments are dealt with under section 136 of the Law of Property Act 1925 (I know, sounds crazy)

S.

Would I be right in thinking that if an agreement is still "alive" the borrower needs to agree to the assignment?

If that is the case, then could it be extrapolated from that, that if the borrower is not "invited" to agree to the assignment, then the agreement is terminated?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4949 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks