• Tweets

• should have come here first really. What you requested was a load of irrelevant twaddle. What was the original debt? Have you moved since taking it out? If TM Legal are chasing, that should means that Perch own it now? Did you get the letter of claim by email or post? You should kill the emails immediately.   
    • sorry I have been confused by Statute Barred meaning. I thought with Statute Barred the debt cannot be chased 6 years after you have stopped paying.  Originally I set up a payment arrangement with all the companies around 2008 when things went horribly wrong. At that time the payment arrangement was with the original creditors.  I still have one of the original creditors who I pay each month (Cap1). I thought that if you make a payment arrangement you have to stick to that situation throughout. Also, MDR (Moorcroft) have been taking a monthly payment on behalf of M & S Bank for about 5 years. When I sent MDR a CCA request I got a copy of the original agreement sent to me directly by M & S Bank about 5 weeks after my CCA request. Sorry for my ignorance but would you suggest I stop paying all including Cap1 who are the original creditor? TIA
    • London1971 without divulging too much into his mental health he has issues regarding anything to do with government and so is it ok to fill the forms provided and what do I put on there  thanks  
    • Dear all, I am hoping for some advice/guidance on this matter. I received a LoC dated 12/04/24 and replied to this on the 2/05/24 disputing claim with the following reasons: 1: [Inadequate Affordability Assessment]: I contend that your institution failed to conduct a thorough assessment of my financial circumstances prior to approving the loan. As a result, the loan amount and repayment terms were not suitable for my income and financial situation. 2: [Unsustainable Repayments]: The repayment schedule imposed by the loan agreement placed an undue burden on my finances, making it impossible for me to meet my other financial obligations without experiencing significant hardship. 3: [Lack of Transparency]: Your institution did not adequately disclose the risks associated with the loan, including any potential increases in interest rates or fees over the loan term. I also added the following: Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations, lenders have a legal obligation to conduct thorough affordability assessments and ensure that loan agreements are suitable for borrowers' circumstances. I hereby request that your institution: 1: Conduct a full investigation into my claim of irresponsible lending. 2: Provide me with copies of all documentation related to the loan application and approval process, including affordability assessments, credit checks, and correspondence. 3: Cease all collection activities related to the loan until this matter is resolved. Yesterday i received the attached reply via email and it included: 1: The Original Loan agreement 2: An account statement 3: A copy of a default notice letter. The email included a link for a direct debit set up page where you enter their reference and your bank account details (looks like a standard D/D set up page) but there is nothing to indicate the amount of the D/D that I might be agreeing to. I also think two days response time is not long enough to appropriately reply. Any thoughts appreciated   Email-compressed.pdf
    • Easy to set one up on Gov.uk , search on Google.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

HFC/restons claimform - £22k secured loan CO?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5358 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you for your letter dated ---2009 in connection with my subject Access Request.

Your letter requests "For security reasons we require you to provide a form of positive identification (an example of acceptable identification would be a copy of a driving licence or passport which includes your signature), before you comply.

To the present date you have easily sent statements and correspondence containing my sensitive and private statements and personal financial information to my address. I am asking myself now why all the concern regarding security regarding my information, and why you are doubting that I am not the right person? I request the reasoning behind the length of time for you suddenly to be worried about this.

I am confident an organisation the size of MBNA are aware, disclosing data without adequate checks of identity is contrary to the 7th principal of data protection, listed in schedule 1 of the Data protection Act 1998:

7. Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data.

I would like to advise that clarification with Government bodies assured me that this is purely MBNA's own internal proceedures, and not really required.

I am concerned that I do not hold either a passport or drivers licence, and even if I did, in today's society about taking care of our personal information, I am not happy in sending in the post anyway.

I am sure that an alternative compromise can be sought, either you accept I am who I am, or you can offer me alternatives that I will find acceptable. If this cannot be resolved I will contact the Information Commissioners Office.

I look forward to hearing from you in writing within the next 7 days.

Yours faithfully

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Yourturntopay

Saw on my thread that your crediter giving you problems with SAR request and asking for documetation ,Their usual ruse for delaying things!i sent the above to MBNA and was invited to phone their compliance dept and go over security details with them over phone to confirm my identity!:)

Im happy to help with support and my own opinions but as i have no legal qualifications If I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action,

Thank you very very much indeed.

I am rather hoping that restons have gone away with their tail between their legs - but I think they are just stringing it out to the last minute and will hit me with a response to my defence -so i want to try and be prepared for this.

I want to avoid a CO at all costs - a CCJ won't make any difference to me - my credit record is shot to pieces now anyhow, so i might as well get all the defaults/CCJ's in asap, they quicker i get them - the sooner they go off my record!!

I am a bit concerned that they might be able to charge interest after judgement (if they get one) and that I might get hit with costs for defending - how do i avoid this?

Hi yourturntopay!

A court summons is a new thing for me too so would be interested in answer to that question!Good luck wioth your case,I hope you give these plonkers grief!At least we are lucky we found CAG! :)

Absolutely, am really grateful for the advice given, so nice not to be on your own battling. Reading other people's stories really helps, as it helps understand the process and what happens and why.

I would like nothing more then giving Reston's a hiding. i'm really annoyed as they didn't even send me an LBA or anything - just issued court proceedings.

I'm hoping that if it gets as far as court then the judge will look favourably on us as we have made consistent payments since entering the DMP and can prove this. I'm just concerned about any additional interest being added or costs.

Thank you very very much indeed.

I am rather hoping that restons have gone away with their tail between their legs - but I think they are just stringing it out to the last minute and will hit me with a response to my defence -so i want to try and be prepared for this.

I want to avoid a CO at all costs - a CCJ won't make any difference to me - my credit record is shot to pieces now anyhow, so i might as well get all the defaults/CCJ's in asap, they quicker i get them - the sooner they go off my record!!

I am a bit concerned that they might be able to charge interest after judgement (if they get one) and that I might get hit with costs for defending - how do i avoid this?

You might find the answer to some of your questions re charging orders on the following thread. If not, then ask your question on there, I am sure some one will be able to answer it for you.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/201631-why-does-law-allow.html

HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The deadline is now up and according to the court they haven't received anything as yet....

However they are 2/3 weeks in arrears with processign, so she said i would have to wait another 2/3 weeks to know if they have responded.

The case will be automatically stayed, but if they have responded within the 33 days then the stay will be lifted.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I think this is good news!! I have contacted the court and they confirmed that the case was stayed on the 11th June 2009.

The backlog that the courts had is now from the 15th June onwards, so it is confirmed that Restons did not respond within the courts time scale.

If they want the case reactived then they will have to submit an application.

What should I do now? Is it worth sticking in an application to strike out - or let sleeping dogs lie? I don't want to risk Restons reactiving the claim, so i suppose the long it remains stayed the more likely an application for the stay to be lifted with be refused

It's weird that they spent near on £400 taking it to court and then not follow through.....

Another thought (god it hurts!!) How do i go about claiming back charges (if I ever get my SAR info from HFC to figure this out!!) if the case is stayed in court?

• 3 weeks later...

Well restons are now arguing that they did respond within the time and that they have evidence to prove this, so it looks like the stay will be lifted and the case will be transferred to my local court. I haven't heard anythign offical from the court as yet, but i think it's a matter of if not when.....

Please could i have some help with the next step. HFC have STILL not replied to my SAR (I sent the request on the 23rd April - they have cashed the cheque), I hadn't chased this as the case was stayed and i didn't want to rattle any cages.

Restosn want a Charging Order and have stated that they intend to go for one as soon as the CCJ is granted.

The amount they have claimed does not include any payments paid to the account since the default was issued (even tho the default was issued in Feb and they issued the court claim in April, so there are several payments not deducted from the balance) and they have stuck a £3550 colelction charge on top.

I have been making reqular payments ever since Feb (although they are about 40% of the orginal payment required)

Any ideas on what i do next please?

HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

YTTP,

Unless I’m horribly mistaken, this case of yours has not resulted in a judgment against you. You simply entered a defence and albeit after a delay, Restons have said their client wants the case to proceed. So the case gets transferred to your local court and will be managed from there. There’s no prospect of a charging order at this point in time. If Restons are posturing and puffing their chest out, saying they are going for a charging order, personally I regard that as unprofessional if not immature and ridiculous.

What you do in the meantime is research around and polish up your Defence. What is the Defence by the way?

x20

I don't think i have a defence tbh - but then all they have sent me is the agreement and defualt notice and a payment history. The default and agreement are all ok. I have been disputing the collection charge and the balance they claim is owed as i know that is wrong because the payments have not be creditted as they should have been.

I'm certain that charges have been applied, but it's very difficult to know if they have been added or not as it is not clear on the payment history - it mentions charges but they are not taken off the running balance - so i'm not sure if they have been deducted or not.....

YTTP,

In which case the proper thing to do is seek a full and detailed historical statement of account and admit only to that which is properly due, taking issue with anything else which smacks of penalties. That way what goes forward to be decided remains something on which you will have reasonable prospects of success. If the whole claim goes forward for trial in circumstances where the claimant is likely to get judgment for a substantial aspect of the claim though not all of it, I fear you would end up being ordered to pay a substantial portion of the claimant’s costs on top. On the other hand, if the penalty sums were the only sums in issue it might be the case that the value of that issue was below £5,000.00 with consequential costs savings to you because the issue would be decided on the small claims track.

As for the sum you admitted, you would be at liberty to ask the court to direct the admitted sum be paid by instalments assessed by the court after reference to your means.

x20

I think i follwoed that - but i'm really not sure

They are claiming for £25,5000.

I think the balance (Minus charges, collection fees and payments made) is around £18,000

I have requested full broken down statements, but they haven't come as yet.....

What do you suggest i do - I'm tryign at all costs to avoid a CO, but I don't want to end up with lord knows how much costs on top either.....

I have received a letter from Restons and a AQ for my local court.

Restons have written to me (without prejudice) and agreed to drop the collection charge. They have given a balance of Just over £21,000, but I know there are charges in that amount but without statements i can't prove any of them or calculate the cost.

Restons have said that they will look at a repayent plan. What should i do?

• 1 month later...

I have a creditor taking me to court but has agreed to stop proceedings and accept my repayment proposal if i agree to a voluntary Charging Order. They have also agreed not to add on any further costs/charges/interest to the debt if i agree. They said a consent order woudl be filed with the court and if i default on payments then they would apply for judgement.

The debt is a large debt and will take me over 12 years to clear, so if the court proceedings go ahead they will go for a CO to secure the debt anyhow.

Should i agree??

Yes. I think that you should.

The CO would probably be granted against you anyway and there would very definitely be the risk of costs etc. Unless you think that you have agood defence, you should agree but get it all in writing and in the form of a Tomlin order signed off by the court.

Once you have done this then you are safe as long as you keep up the payments.

After that you can examin the possiblity of challenging the enforceability of the debt if you think that is appropriate or claiming back any charges which have beenlevied against you