• Tweets

• Hi T911 and welcome to CAG. As you say, an interesting screw up. So much for quality control! Anyway, our regular advice is to ignore all of their increasingly threatening missives... UNLESS you get a letter of claim, then come back here and we'll help you write a "snotty letter" to help them decide whether to take it any further with their stoopid pics. If you get mail you're unsure of, just upload it for the team to have a look.
    • Thanks @lolerzthat's an extremely helpful post. There is no mention of a permit scheme in the lease and likewise, no variation was made to bring this system in. I recall seeing something like a quiet enjoyment clause, but will need to re-read it and confirm. VERY interesting point on the 1987 Act. There hasn't been an AGM in years and I've tried to get one to start to no avail. However, I'll aim to find out more about how the PPC was brought in and revert. Can I test with you and others on the logic of not parking for a few months? I'm ready to fight OPS, so if they go nuclear on me then surely it doesn't matter? I assume that I will keep getting PCNs as long as I live here, so it doesn't make sense for me to change the way that I park?  Unless... You are suggesting that having 5 or so outstanding PCNs, will negatively affect any court case e.g. through bad optics? Or are we trying to force their hand to go to court with only 2 outstanding PCNs?
    • That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Marlin/Mortimer CCJ HFC Marbles Card - Set Aside Help **WON plus Costs**

Spamalot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nothing to report I'm afraid.. :(

No letter from MC in response to mine of last week, and I know they received it last tuesday as I sent it recorded delivery and I have the Sig for receipt..:cool:

I know they like to play close to the deadlines and there have been postal strikes but this is too close so I guess I need to prepare for my second set aside..:rolleyes:

Perhaps the A team could step in and advise how I go about this..

Thanks,

Spam.:)

Hi Spam

N244 set a side NoD as you a re prob aware, however in your interests alone have you tried speaking to the Sols before you make this move and and ask what their intentions are to your proposals.One phonecall could make all the difference and save further costs.IMHO

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Andy,

I did consider emailing them as there's the postal issues, but when I've done that in the past they've never replied.. Also From past experience with phone calls to them , that is like pulling teeth... you just get told to ring back, person you wants not in the office, we'll call you back ,they never did..... You know the scenario :rolleyes:

I don't particularly want to drag this out for much longer, but I don't trust them as far as I could throw them... it's a dilemma and I don't want them mucking me about so I run out of time!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

I agree with andy re. an attempt at contact spam if only because of the present postal strike & it may impress on the court your reasonableness etc. when it comes to awarding costs when you win the case.

All it takes is an email copying them in your corresp, pointing out they received it on xxx & that to date you haven't received their response so in view of the postal stirke you'd like to invite them to do so by email by 5.00pm on xxx (give them 24 hours). Failure to submit their response by that time will be taken as a refusal of your proposals for settlement & you will pursue a legal course of redress forthwith & without further discussion with them.

The set aside application has to be an N244 along the lines of:

xxx County Court

Case No: xxxx

Phoenix Rec. etc. v Spamalot

I, spam, make application to the xxx County Court to set aside the Notice of Discontinuance issued on xxxx by Phoenix Rec. (copy attached)

The claimant discontinued this case under CPR 38.2(1) before the defendant had been afforded the opportunity to submit a defence in accordance with the court's directions given on xxxx (copy attached)

This application is therefore made in accordance with CPR38.4

The applicant believes she has a valid defence to the claim made against her & she wishes to exercise her right to a fair trial in this matter.

Don't think you need to add a statement of truth to this one (check with court), just sign & date but you def. have to serve a copy of the application on MC so send Rec. Del.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Thanks FG, Andy.

I will await the post tomorrow, if still nothing I will email as suggested and see what happens..

You advice as always is much appreciated. :D

Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well,

There was nothing in the post from MC yesterday so I emailed as suggested with the above, attached a copy of the letter and gave them 'til 5pm today to respond . Surprise surprise, they did not respond and there was still nothing in the post.

Once again my correspondence has been ignored by this shower so it's time to take the gloves off. They didn't even have the common decency to acknowledge the letter or email and say thanks but no thanks..

Guess it's time to roll out the n244 .... again:rolleyes:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

WOW Spamalot

im in awe of your determination, i hope i dont falter when it starts getting tough for me, so i will keep coming back to this thread for encouragment

keep on going, and best of luck

have a fun eve laters angel x

Im happy to help with support and my own thoughts, but if I offer any thoughts to your problems please take it as from my life experience only and not of any legal standing. Always take further advice from the legal experts in your final action.:)

my new motto is,,,",Taking back control of your life and home - such peace is priceless"

This is all due to truecall device , have a serious peek at this you will be thankful like I am x laters angel :D

I would fully agree now you have given opportunity to the Claimant to respond.Retain proof of your communication Spam.

Regards

Andy

Edited by Andyorch

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

they re makin spam angry.......and they wont like spam when shes angry...:p

N244 time then me thinks Spammy:D

Andy

Once again my correspondence has been ignored by this shower so it's time to take the gloves off. They didn't even have the common decency to acknowledge the letter or email and say thanks but no thanks..

Be generous in victory spam - it will make you look wonderful in court & will give them no grounds to contest costs ;)

N244 here you go again...:(

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Ok, I'm looking at an n244.... does the set aside of the discontinuance have to to be dealt at or without a hearing?

Also, do I have to pay for this application as I've only just recently flung my cheque book back at Lloyds :oops::rolleyes:

And... what information will I be relying on in support of my application?

Is that the copy of discontinuance and my corres with MC or do I have to state something else there?

Thanks again guys... sorry to be a pain. Gonna be a long time before the fat lady sings at this rate.8-)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello Guest.. :D

OMG, they're not working this late surely? Do MC pay such small peanuts they have to burn the midnight oil??

Ok, I'm looking at an n244.... does the set aside of the discontinuance have to to be dealt at or without a hearing?

Don't think you need to apply for a hearing but check with the court. It's your right & you are not putting forward any arguments as you were in the set aside.

Also, do I have to pay for this application as I've only just recently flung my cheque book back at Lloyds :oops::rolleyes:

Sorry, think you do :( but you will get the cost back when you win :) Check with the court on the fees. I think it will be £75.00 again so you may have to go to the hole in the wall & pay cash in person at the court unless you have a pal with a cheque handy.

And... what information will I be relying on in support of my application?

Is that the copy of discontinuance and my corres with MC or do I have to state something else there?

You are applying under CPR 38.4. Other than that just attach copy NoD & the court directions stating that you had until 16? Sept to submit defence & that you were prevented in so doing by the NoD. See my earlier post above.

Thanks again guys... sorry to be a pain. Gonna be a long time before the fat lady sings at this rate.8-)

Unfortunately the pain is all yours, spam, at the moment but no gain without pain eh? It would seem from the deafening silence of MC that we are prob. correct in the assumption that they intend to sell this debt on or they would have taken the opportunity to settle. I suspect that they think you will back out of the set aside & they will continue with their devious plans. :mad:

If you swallow the above assumptions, IMO your best bet is to pursue this while the iron is hot or you will get burnt at a later date. So pain in the proverbial but at least you will get it settled this year.

FG

Hi Spam

No hearing and the fee is £35.00

Andy

My newt update...

Curiouser and curiouser, defaults by HFC and Marlin on my credit report have been removed....infact the whole 'alleged debt has been removed.. it's just not there anymore...

I did write to credit expert a while ago with regards to the 'account' being reported on there twice and they were going to write to HFC and investigate it..:cool:

Strange..

Anyhoo, shall set about my set aside today and am considering instructing a Barrister just so I can hike up the costs for MC/Marlin/Phoenix...:D

Maybe if I hit them where it hurts, they may take more care with how they treat their 'customers' and stop needlessly dragging people through the court system for nothing...I'm not being in the least bit vindictive I'm doing this to help others..:rolleyes::D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just a quickie if anyone's around..:)

Re n244... I have prepared my application and have a copy to send to MC..Q9 says.. 'who should be served with this application'

Do I need to put anything in there??

Thanks,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyhoo, shall set about my set aside today and am considering instructing a Barrister just so I can hike up the costs for MC/Marlin/Phoenix...:D

Be aware that if you employ a barrister, the court may not necessarily award the full costs of his fee. Also be sure that whoever you employ is extremely well versed in CCA legislation - there have been reports on this forum where the legal advice obtained may have contributed to the defendant actually losing a valid case. :eek:

Hi all,

Be aware that if you employ a barrister, the court may not necessarily award the full costs of his fee. Also be sure that whoever you employ is extremely well versed in CCA legislation - there have been reports on this forum where the legal advice obtained may have contributed to the defendant actually losing a valid case. :eek:

Thanks FG, I'll PM you about that..;-)

Well, I've just had the most ridiculous ding dong with my court with regards to setting aside the discontinuance....

Spam.. I wish to make an application to set aside the discontinuance of a claim.

Court... you can't do that.

Spam... Yes I can, it's in CPR 38.4 that I can do that within 28 days of discontinuance.

Court.. But the claimant doesn't wish to continue.

Spam... I know, but I do. I want to claim my costs and get the agreement judged unenforceable.

Court.. You need to make a seperate claim for that..

Spam... No, I don't , it is my right to continue with this one..

Court officer trots off to see court manager...

Court ... The court manager says that the judgement has been set aside and the claimant no longer wishes to claim so you can't set aside the discontinuance..

Spam... It is in civil procedure rules 38.4 that states I can if i wish set aside the discontinuation as long as it's done within 28 days... Do you have a copy of CPR? I will show it to you...

Court.. No we don't..:rolleyes:

Scuttles off back to Court manager.... I'm beginning to doubt myself now..

Court... Court manager says we'll accept your application... but it will have to go in front of the judge...

Spam... ok thank you here's the £35

Court ...£75 It's an application for a set aside and it will have to go for a hearing...because the other side need to be there

Spam... Excuse me....I'm not asking for a judgement to be set aside I'm asking for a set aside of a discontinuance and I've asked for without a hearing so why do the other side have to be there... there was no hearing for them to discontinue... this is my response to there discontinuance...

Court... Blank stare... I'm not legally trained... it's £75

Spam....(hands over £75..:( and copy of application...) do I have to send a copy to MC or will you do it...

Court... We'll do it... oh do you have a spare copy then cause otherwise we'll have to copy the application to send to them.

Spam...( Puts copy back in envelope and in hanbag) Smiles (thinks... you want £75 and then expect me to provide photocopies!!! :eek:) Thank you for being so helpful...

It went on a bit longer than that but I won't bore you... that's the gist..

Just Unbelievable....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all,

Thanks FG, I'll PM you about that..;-)

Well, I've just had the most ridiculous ding dong with my court with regards to setting aside the discontinuance....

Spam.. I wish to make an application to set aside the discontinuance of a claim.

Court... you can't do that.

Spam... Yes I can, it's in CPR 38.4 that I can do that within 28 days of discontinuance.

Court.. But the claimant doesn't wish to continue.

Spam... I know, but I do. I want to claim my costs and get the agreement judged unenforceable.

Court.. You need to make a seperate claim for that..

Spam... No, I don't , it is my right to continue with this one..

Court officer trots off to see court manager...

Court ... The court manager says that the judgement has been set aside and the claimant no longer wishes to claim so you can't set aside the discontinuance..

Spam... It is in civil procedure rules 38.4 that states I can if i wish set aside the discontinuation as long as it's done within 28 days... Do you have a copy of CPR? I will show it to you...

Court.. No we don't..:rolleyes:

Scuttles off back to Court manager.... I'm beginning to doubt myself now..

Court... Court manager says we'll accept your application... but it will have to go in front of the judge...

Spam... ok thank you here's the £35

Court ...£75 It's an application for a set aside and it will have to go for a hearing...because the other side need to be there

Spam... Excuse me....I'm not asking for a judgement to be set aside I'm asking for a set aside of a discontinuance and I've asked for without a hearing so why do the other side have to be there... there was no hearing for them to discontinue... this is my response to there discontinuance...

Court... Blank stare... I'm not legally trained... it's £75

Spam....(hands over £75..:( and copy of application...) do I have to send a copy to MC or will you do it...

Court... We'll do it... oh do you have a spare copy then cause otherwise we'll have to copy the application to send to them.

Spam...( Puts copy back in envelope and in hanbag) Smiles (thinks... you want £75 and then expect me to provide photocopies!!! :eek:) Thank you for being so helpful...

It went on a bit longer than that but I won't bore you... that's the gist..

Just Unbelievable....

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Best laugh of the day Spam

Andy

I'm gob smacked spam!

I know the court staff are hard pressed, underpaid & harassed but really, is this any excuse for a court manager not to understand the rules?! Let alone not have a copy of the CPR in the office. :eek:

Maybe when other defendants catch on to dodgy claimant's intentions as to discontinuing & then selling on the debt to other DCAs & the right to put a stop to it, the courts will catch on to the procedure too. You can only live in hope that the DJ is better educated...

I'm gob smacked spam!

I know the court staff are hard pressed, underpaid & harassed but really, is this any excuse for a court manager not to understand the rules?! Let alone not have a copy of the CPR in the office. :eek: That's what I thought..I saw the computers in the office and I said... just google CPR rules and have a look but she wasn't having any of it.

Maybe when other defendants catch on to dodgy claimant's intentions as to discontinuing & then selling on the debt to other DCAs & the right to put a stop to it, the courts will catch on to the procedure too. You can only live in hope that the DJ is better educated...THAT is what's worrying me.... what if they do sling it out!! How long have I got left to do a wasted costs order????:rolleyes:

I know on the outside the whole ludicrous incident is amusing, but it really was like banging my head against a brick wall, the woman behind me in the waiting room kept looking at me in disbelief ... I had to basically INSIST that they accept my application..

Sheesh... what a day..

:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

THAT is what's worrying me.... what if they do sling it out!! How long have I got left to do a wasted costs order????

They can't sling it out - that would be totally in contravention of CPR & you have actually mentioned the rule in your application. Don't despair just 'cos some court staff don't know the procedures.

There is no time limit on wasted costs, it just has to be reasonable.