Marlin/Mortimer CCJ HFC Marbles Card - Set Aside Help **WON plus Costs**

Spamalot
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:D Well I'm Back :D

Judgement set aside. :D

Very nice lady judge, who read MC letter and said ' The claimant is consenting to the set aside but doesn't say why.. and raised her eyebrows... then she smiled.. That was it!

Then she gave the directions that,

Judgement be set aside

File and serve a Defence by 4pm 16th September,

Allocation Questionnaires be completed

and then she spoke about costs!!:-o

She said she wasn't going to award costs for today unless I had any comments to make... so I said I would like to be reimbursed costs for the applications... didn't want to push my luck..... and she agreed that If I am to win the case the costs of the Disclosure and Admission applications would be awarded... but if I lost I would have to 'swallow' them..

I was more than happy with that. :D

This is probably a daft question but...... can I stop paying MC the judgement installments now as one is due at the end of the week? :oops:

So... there it is...One chuffed spam :):)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So Spam, MC Hammered

:D Well I'm Back :D

Judgement set aside. :D

Very nice lady judge, who read MC letter and said ' The claimant is consenting to the set aside but doesn't say why.. and raised her eyebrows... then she smiled.. That was it! I guess it doesn't get any better or easier than that! :-D

Then she gave the directions that,

Judgement be set aside

File and serve a Defence by 4pm 16th September,

Allocation Questionnaires be completed

and then she spoke about costs!!:-o

She said she wasn't going to award costs for today unless I had any comments to make... so I said I would like to be reimbursed costs for the applications... didn't want to push my luck..... and she agreed that If I am to win the case the costs of the Disclosure and Admission applications would be awarded... but if I lost I would have to 'swallow' them.. So you'll be getting them eventually then! :rolleyes::D

I was more than happy with that. :D

This is probably a daft question but...... can I stop paying MC the judgement installments now as one is due at the end of the week? :oops: I would say definitely, 'YES' you can stop paying as there is no longer a judgement!

So... there it is...One chuffed spam :):)

Congratulations, you can now give them a hiding with your defence, and then pocket the costs when it's all over! :D:D

Cheers

Rob

Congratulations spam, I have just read through your thread and really pleased for you. Having to go to court for any reason can be daunting as I have just been last week myself for something completely different.

So keep the fight on, you got plenty of support on here including me.

Real chuffed for you, its good to see people happy and have things go their way every once in a while:D

This is probably a daft question but...... can I stop paying MC the judgement installments now as one is due at the end of the week? :oops: I would say definitely, 'YES' you can stop paying as there is no longer a judgement!

PS

If it were me, I wouldn't continue paying anything at all!

Cheers

Rob

So Spam, MC Hammered

:lol: They did it to themselves.. :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you can now give them a hiding with your defence, and then pocket the costs when it's all over! :D:D

Lets hope so..:)

Cheers

Rob

Congratulations spam, I have just read through your thread and really pleased for you. Having to go to court for any reason can be daunting as I have just been last week myself for something completely different. It does give you the collywobbles doesn't it! :eek:

So keep the fight on, you got plenty of support on here including me.

Thank you.. It's very much appreciated..:)

Real chuffed for you, its good to see people happy and have things go their way every once in a while:D

I really can't thank people enough for their support... I genuinely couldn't have got this far without you all.

If I'm honest I hope Marlin discontinue... I know I have everything in place to 'whoop their Ass' but I'm not sure I have the confidence to get it accross.. although obviously I would give it my best shot. ;) It was nerve racking enough today even knowing I'd 'won' before I stepped into the courtroom...How weird is that.. I had visions of the Judge saying 'I don't think you've got enough of a defence so I'm going to ignore MC's letter and not grant a set aside... go away Spam!!:oops:

Anyhoo, I'm certainly glad todays big event is over and I'll await the next twist and turn in the world of Phoenix/Marlin/MC

Spam.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

really pleased for u spam, cant see them asking for another ass whipping given the circumstances and the ending:)

did u mention anything about the amounts u have paid under the court order (or did that come in with the costs?) as i think u r due those back, the judgment now being taken back to the start?

Well Done Spam

I am delighted for you, you put a lot of effort and researched your case well.

Regards

Andy

• Haha 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

really pleased for u spam, cant see them asking for another ass whipping given the circumstances and the ending:)

did u mention anything about the amounts u have paid under the court order (or did that come in with the costs?) as i think u r due those back, the judgment now being taken back to the start?

Hi R&B,

I did ask actually.. I said that obviously I had been paying the judgement with regular instalments and as the judgement was now set aside would I get the money back as they weren't entitled to the money...

The Judge said I would have to take advice on that, but assuming I win the case there should be ways of claiming back the money that was paid to them as by law they shouldn't claim money they weren't entitled to..:rolleyes:

I guess I'm gonna have to wait and see what happens and counterclaim with my defernce for all the monies I've paid to them so far and go from there...:-?

Failing that, if they discontinue I may have to put a claim in myself... I'm really not too clear on the situation... I feel more research coming on!!!

Spam. :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

guess I'm gonna have to wait and see what happens and counterclaim with my defernce for all the monies I've paid to them so far and go from there...:confused:;) thats the way plus damages.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

guess I'm gonna have to wait and see what happens and counterclaim with my defernce for all the monies I've paid to them so far and go from there...:confused:;) thats the way plus damages.

Andy

Thank you Andy... Thats the way to go then...:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hooray!! Excellent news spam!!

You deserve it - you've put in all the work & it's paid off.

Don't worry about your defence or costs. We'll all pitch in on the first & on the second, as long as you make sure you serve a comprehensive costs summary to the claimant & the court at least 48 hours before the hearing, you should get everything you've paid under the judgment order plus all your expenses.

BTW you don't need to pay Marlin any more but just to cover yourself, drop them a letter stating that the CCJ was set aside & that pending the hearing you are suspending payments.

Shout when you need help...

• Haha 1

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Well done Spam. It gives me more confidence in my own fight against these idiots. I have given in on 2 cases, but the fight goes on with 2 others

Hi Crafty :)

You really must try not to 'give into these idiots' if you stand your ground they will more likely give in to you... they like to see how far they can push you so just keep pushing back and they'll move onto the next poor soul ...

They've thrown in the towel on at least 3 CAG claims this week so have faith in your own.

Spam:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hooray!! Excellent news spam!!

You deserve it - you've put in all the work & it's paid off.

Don't worry about your defence or costs. We'll all pitch in on the first & on the second, as long as you make sure you serve a comprehensive costs summary to the claimant & the court at least 48 hours before the hearing, you should get everything you've paid under the judgment order plus all your expenses.

BTW you don't need to pay Marlin any more but just to cover yourself, drop them a letter stating that the CCJ was set aside & that pending the hearing you are suspending payments.

Shout when you need help...

Thanks FG...

I will be asking for loads of help... Allocation questionnaires... defence... counterclaims....costs..:eek::eek:

Will need spoon feeding all the way...:oops:

And I'll get that letter off to Marlin suspending payments in the morning..:D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Could you also post a resume of how far you got with your draft defence spam? This thread is so long now, it would be useful to have all the info collated.

1. Original POC details

2. CCA (or anything issued as such!)

3. DN - details of issue dates etc - defective?

4. NOA if any

5. Requests for info under CPRs - when, what was requested, what was supplied

6. Any wrongful charges, incorrectly applied interest etc. Also calculate how much you have paid under the CCJ.

Any knowledge I possess or advice I proffer is based solely on my experiences in the University of Life. Please make your own assessment of legality, risks & costs before taking any action.

Could you also post a resume of how far you got with your draft defence spam? This thread is so long now, it would be useful to have all the info collated.

1. Original POC details

2. CCA (or anything issued as such!)

3. DN - details of issue dates etc - defective?

4. NOA if any

5. Requests for info under CPRs - when, what was requested, what was supplied

6. Any wrongful charges, incorrectly applied interest etc. Also calculate how much you have paid under the CCJ.

Good Idea FG,

I will do... I'll collate it all and get it altogether in one place... do you think it would be worth starting a fresh thread and linking the new one on here

to save all the wading ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No, just bring it all up to date in one post then the other posts can be referred to if necessary.

Hi Fedup.... Thanks. :D

It's not over yet though... but the first and I believe worst hurdle has been achieved... getting the judgement set aside was my biggest worry as it was by no way a certainty... just as well they threw in the towel..as I could have got a 'difficult judge'.

Lets just see what they come up with now that we're back to square one and I've had my eyes opened.. :)

Spam. :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minute update..

Sent letter to Mortimer Clarke today informing them that due to the set aside I would be ceasing to pay them any monies until such times as a County Court Judge ordered me to do otherwise.

Gosh that felt good..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Righty oh... Tidy Up time in preperation of Defence.

POC...

By a credit agreement in writing between HFC Bank Plc and the defendent dated 15.11.1999 (the agreement)

Agreement

HFC agreed to issue the defendent with a credit card upon the terms and cons. set out therein. In breach of the agreement, the defendent has failed to make the minimum payment shown on the monthly statement. The agreement was assigned to the claimant on 18.7.08.

NOA NOA 2

The claimant served a Default notice on the defendent stating the amount due and requiring to pay the same

Default 1 Default 2 No default received from Phoenix.

. The defendent failed to pay and the agreement was terminated.

THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS:

!. £8299.65

2.interest at the rate persuant to the agreement namely 14.56 and continuing until judgement or sooner payment at the daily rate of 1.82 or in the the alternative interest pursuant to secton 69 of the county courts acts 1984. Also interest at the rate pursuantto the Agreement from the judgement date until payment.

More to follow... Spam.:)

Edited by Spamalot
my rate was a rat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Spam

I thought this was going to be a 'Second' update after your 'Minute' update in post #296 :). Ok, I'll get my coat ...

NOA NOA 2

Sorry, I can't remember without going right back through your thread to check, but Marlin claim to have been assigned the debt the day before HFC state that they assigned it to Carval. (I think you're probably already aware of that though).

I wonder why HFC only saw fit to tell you a year later though? (19 May 2009)

I know you 'acknowledged' receipt of one or other of the NoA by later referring to it in your letters to Marlin/MC, but there may be some mileage in challenging the assignment and therefore the right of MC/Marlin to act as Claimant in this matter.

I've replied this morning to this post which seems to mirror my own experience with the shortcomings of MC/Marlin/Phoenix regarding their failure to be substituted as Claimant because of the court dismissing their applications for the same;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/216203-setting-aside-charging-order.html

Your circumstances are probably different but it might be worth looking into (ISTR this has been discussed in the thread), as it definitely seems at least some Judges are not happy with their paperwork.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Me again..:)

For some reason the pop up window to attach files is blocked on my laptop so I will have to post my defences in full.

This is the one I had intended to use for my Set Aside...

COUNTY COURT CLAIM NO: xxxxxxxx

On Transfer from the

NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

Phoenix Recoveries (UK) Ltd

Sarl-Potomac Recoveries

CLAIMANT

And

xxxxxxxxx

DEFENDANT

Respectfully, I wish to apply for a set-aside of the Judgment given in this case to the Claimant at the Northampton County Court Bulk Centre on 25th February 2009.

The defendant denies that she is liable as alleged in the Particulars of claim, or at all.

In respect of the alleged agreement, a request was made under sec 77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 on 1.4.09, The Data Protection Act 1998 on 6.4.09, and CPR 31.14 on 30.4.09, 11.05.09 and 19.05.09 for a copy of the agreement. All requests were sent registered post and signed for. A satisfactory copy of an agreement was not produced. It is denied that any such agreement was entered into by Spam and HFC Bank Plc and the claimant is put to strict proof that such an agreement exists.

Should it be proved that such an agreement exists, it is denied that the claimant has the legal right to enforce that agreement and therefore is put to strict proof of their rights of ownership by way of a Legal Assignment.

A request for the copy of Assignment was made under Data Protection Act 1998 on 6.04.09 and CPR 31.14 on 30.04.09 11.05.09, all requests were sent registered post and signed for, but it was not produced by the Claimant.

I would therefore respectfully seek the Courts permission to request sight of the Deed of Assignment of the alleged debt.

In addition, the defendant requires proof of service of the Notice of Assignment in accordance with s196 of the Law of Property Act 1925 which is required to give the claimant a legitimate right of action in their own name since it appears this is an assigned debt. the reason the defendant requests this information is inter alia to clarify the dates are correctly stated on all documents , the defendant notes that if there are errors in the assignment it may be rendered in effectual in

law per W F Harrison & Co Ltd v Burke and another - [1956] 2 All ER 169.

The defendant denies that a valid default notice was received from the claimant. The Consumer Credit Act 1974 s. 87 (1) states

(1) Service of a notice on the debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a “default notice ”) is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the debtor or hirer of a regulated agreement (a) to terminate the agreement.

A request was made for copies of default notice(s) under the Data Protection Act 1998 on 6.04.09 and CPR 31.14 on 30.04.09, 11.05.09 and 19.05.09 by registered post which were signed for, but none were produced, therefore the claimant is put to strict proof that a valid default notice was issued by the claimant and of the proof of service.

The defendant also denies that a notice of Termination of the alleged agreement was received. A request for copies of a notice of Termination was requested under Data Protection Act 1998 on 6.04.09 and CPR 31.14 on 30.04.09, 11.05.09 and 19.05.09. All requests were sent registered post and signed for. No Notice of Termination was produced by the Claimant.

To Date the claimant has failed to comply with my request under the CPR and Data Protection Act and I have not received any such documentation requested. As a result it has proven difficult to compose this defence without disclosure of the information requested, especially given that I am Litigant in Person.

In respect of the alleged agreement, to which penalty charges have been levied, it is denied that any monies are owed to the Claimant.

The Claimant also seeks to claim interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984.Statutory interest on a regulated agreement is prohibited in accordance with the county courts (interest on judgment debts) order 1991.

The Claimant, possessing no legal right to claim monies allegedly owed, has acted unlawfully in obtaining a CCJ and registering said Notice with Credit Reference Agencies. Such conduct is a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 and amounts to defamation. Under The Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.

The Claimants have not established any legal right to issue a claim or proven that any debt exists. The claimant also claims £154.00 in charges. I refute these are payable. These are default charges levied on the account for alleged late payments. The court will be aware that these charge types and the recoverability thereof have been judicially declared to be susceptible to assessments of fairness under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 [The Office of Fair Trading v Abbey National PLC and others (2009). I will contend at trial that such charges are unfair in their entirety.

In the circumstances the court is invited to conclude that there are reasonable grounds to suppose that I will be able to successfully defend the Claimant’s claim at trial.

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

I am the Defendant

Signed

And this is the defence I was going to play around with which was shamelessly stolen from IGNM. :oops:

COUNTY COURT CLAIM NO:

On Transfer from the

NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT

BETWEEN

Phoenix Recoveries U.K. Sarl

CLAIMANT

And

Spam

DEFENDANT

DEFENCE pursuant to Order dated

] The Defendant admits that she signed a document provided by HFC Bank Limited.It is Not admitted that the Defendant signed an agreement with HFC Bank Limited. The Precise terms and date of any such alleged agreement are not admitted. The Claimant is put to strict proof as to the date and terms of such agreement.

2. It is averred that if any agreement existed that the aforesaid agreement was a regulated agreement within the terms of the Consumer Credit Act1974. It is denied that the Agreement is enforceable within the terms of the Actin that the Defendant avers that the aforesaid alleged agreement does not contain the Statutory Particulars as to payment, rate of interest and calculation of credit limit. It is further averred that the alleged agreement is defective in that it is not executed by or upon behalf of HFC Bank Limited.

3. It is not admitted that the aforesaid alleged agreement was lawfully assigned to the Claimant. The Claimant is put to strict proof that such a Lawful Assignment took place.

4. If, which is not admitted, a lawful assignment to the Claimant did occur it is denied that the notice required by the Law of Property Act was served upon the Defendant. It is averred that the notice upon which the Claimant relies was defective in that the date referred to by the said notice is inaccurate thereby rendering the whole notice invalid.

5. Further and in the alternativeif, which is not admitted, an enforceableagreement is in existence it is not admitted that any or all of the monies claimed are lawfully owing. The Claimant is put to strict proof as to how the sums claimed have been calculated and as to how those sums are lawfully owing.

6. The Defendant is not in possession of a valid Default Notice. It is not admitted that the Defendant was served with a Default Notice pursuant to the Consumer Credit Act 1974. The Claimant is put to strict proof as to the service and content of any Default Notice

7. Further it is denied that both the alleged contractual interest and the alleged contractual account charges which have been claimed are lawfully owing in that it is averred that not only is there no contractual basis for the sums claimed but also that the sums claimed are in any event unfair and in breach of the general law.

8. In view of the foregoing it is deniedthat the Defendant is indebted to the Claimant as alleged or at all.

Counterclaim

9. The Defendant seeks a declaration from the Court that the aforesaid agreement is unenforceable in that it does not contain the statutory particulars and is not properly executed.

Statement of Truth

I believe that the facts stated in this defence are true.

I am the Defendant.

Signed

Asyou can see it is a work in progress but it's a start!!!.

All input and advice is sincerely welcomed.

Edited by Spamalot

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Spam

I thought this was going to be a 'Second' update after your 'Minute' update in post #296 :). Ok, I'll get my coat ...:rolleyes: Perhaps I should have said My-newt :D

I know you 'acknowledged' receipt of one or other of the NoA by later referring to it in your letters to Marlin/MC, but there may be some mileage in challenging the assignment and therefore the right of MC/Marlin to act as Claimant in this matter. This is actually where the fun begins... Marlins NOA states assigned 20.5.08 Poc States assigned 18.07.08 HFC say assigned to Carval on 21st May 08...:-?:p The notification from HFC (19.5.09) with regards to the assignment was as a reply to my SAR.

I've replied this morning to this post which seems to mirror my own experience with the shortcomings of MC/Marlin/Phoenix regarding their failure to be substituted as Claimant because of the court dismissing their applications for the same;

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/216203-setting-aside-charging-order.html

Your circumstances are probably different but it might be worth looking into (ISTR this has been discussed in the thread), as it definitely seems at least some Judges are not happy with their paperwork.

I'll have a look at that too

Cheers

Rob

Thanks again for looking in..Spam.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]