TV faulty after eleven weeks!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5478 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I went to my friend's place and she does not have another aerial but I tried the aerial she has got in my portable tv and it worked ok.

I connected her faulty tv to her video and I could play a video but none of the controls on the tv respond at all ...... i.e. I could not lower the sound or change channel etc etc. And I could still not get any channels to work.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

As you can play video back, there may not be a problem with the TV but it may need to be set up again. Read through the instruction manual and see if you cna do a "factory re-set". If you can, then start from the beginning again by unplugging all connectgions and then plugging them in again as per the instructions in the book. Do you have the brand and model name of the TV as that may help diagnose the problem?

Hello,

I was thinking along these lines myself ..... I could find no mention of factory reset anywhere in the instructions ...... infact I did ask my friend to mention this to the tech guy on the phone but tech support were more interested in sending a new remote than resetting the tv!!

All I have with me at present is Samsung 32" (LE32A456)

Thanks

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

I had a problem with my six month old Tv (read my thread) Now solved after sending them the consumer rights + getting my solicitor involved a full refund was given back :D(it took some time )and Now I have a new Tv from the Argos which is of a better specifications and five years warrenty (Argos is the best) . Hope you the best in your claim.It's worth fighting for.Don't be put down on your rights M8.

might sound silly unplug it hold the power button for around 20 seconds, released and repeat a couple of times

sounds silly but ive had it sort problems from a non-functioning touchscreen on a mobile to a dvd player only giving out a very dim image

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 4 weeks later...

Ok with the sales of good act, you have to be very careful as Curry's don't have to give you a refund as there is no law saying it! however under the sales of goods act they must either repair or replace in an adequate time space.

You need to go back to curry's and say you know it isnt the remote its the tv, Have you done internet search on this TV? as you never know if there are known faults with it, and others might be able to help you if they have gone through the same.

Returns policy SHOULD only comply to: if the item isn't needed or if it is damaged, before a month it is generally replaced, however after a month for most companies it will get sent back to the manufacturer as its in the manufacturs warrenty period, if you take out an extra warrenty it is meant to be easier as they can bypass the manufacturer warrenty and give you replacement or repair but generally only if you took an extended warrenty as this is the purpose for it.

Good luck

Hello All,

Update ......

Owing to other more pressing important personal issues my friend has not had time (or the state of mind) to tackle Currys in the last few weeks.

This means she has now waited FOUR weeks for delivery of the remote control unit which has not shown up. So that is a total of FIVE weeks in all from the initial conversation in the local Currys that the TV had gone wrong.

She contacted me on Friday and wants me to accompany her to Currys in the next week. Trading Standards have advised that we go in there with a view to having a replacement as they have now had five weeks to put the matter right and still nothing has been done. (I still think this is grossly unfair and she should have a refund but Heyho!).

Should we take the TV with us to Currys ..... any views??

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Hello All,

:D:D Good Result :D:D

I went to Currys ...... Manager started talking about their company T&C's regarding faulty goods ...... I replied quoting statutory rights and Sale of Goods Act plus disgusting to still be waiting after six weeks (yes six weeks now) for a new remote to be sent (which will not fix the problem anyway).

In fairness to the Manager he put his hands up at that point and agreed to cash refund ..... but he did add that Currys were out of order regarding the six weeks waiting for repair after initial contact with tech support as their T&C's state 28 days max after contacting tech support the fault must be fixed.

Thanks everyone and thanks Trading Standards.

Refund been given and my friend NEVER intends to go in a Currys shop again ... or any shops in the Currys group.

Thankyou all.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup :D

Good to see you got a result.

Also, the only two major widespread household electrical shops in the UK are currys and comet, please go take a look at comet's track record of "it's the manufactorers problem" posts and see if you still feel the same way. Obviously you could go shop online instead.. if you'd care to endure RMA procedures, restocking fees, and re-delivery costs when something goes wrong.

All I'm saying is, the grass is far from greener on the other side, and customers shouldn't let one negative event tar the whole company.

Hello,

I appreciate what you are saying .... but she is going to do what I have done for many, many, many years ......... I purchase all my electrical goods from the large supermarkets ..... on the very rare occasions where I have had a problem I have just returned the item to the customer services counter and straight away without any disagreement I have been offered a refund or replacement.

Infact she has already chosen a tv in our local Sainsburys.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Hello,

I appreciate what you are saying .... but she is going to do what I have done for many, many, many years ......... I purchase all my electrical goods from the large supermarkets ..... on the very rare occasions where I have had a problem I have just returned the item to the customer services counter and straight away without any disagreement I have been offered a refund or replacement.

Infact she has already chosen a tv in our local Sainsburys.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Thats because most supermarket staff have no idea what 1080p is, never mind how to test a TV. I sound like I'm sticking up for currys here, but seriously, when your buying this TV at sainsburys, ask a member of staff a few questions about it.

I bet he can't answer.

Hello,

No need to ask questions in the supermarkets ..... I pick an item I like the look of and of course I like the price it is in the supermarket ... and then do all the research on it via the Internet and in other electrical stores in my town and then if it seems ok I go back to supermarket and purchase .... knowing that if there are any problems they will refund or replace straightaway.

The TV my friend has purchased from Sainsburys is a top make and at a very good price.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Good to see you got a result.

Also, the only two major widespread household electrical shops in the UK are currys and comet, please go take a look at comet's track record of "it's the manufactorers problem" posts and see if you still feel the same way. Obviously you could go shop online instead.. if you'd care to endure RMA procedures, restocking fees, and re-delivery costs when something goes wrong.

All I'm saying is, the grass is far from greener on the other side, and customers shouldn't let one negative event tar the whole company.

Alas one bad experience can tar the whole company.

Another alternative is Richer Sounds. No pressure sales, honest advice, really helpful staff and a refundable warranty if not used. They know how to look after customers and it's a shame that noone else adopts their model. And no, I don't work for RS or have any shares or othe interest!

After two bad experiences we now go into a Currys or Comet shop and ask all the necessary questions, view the TV etc and then do the purchase online or at a supermarket. I wouldn't do this with a normal local business as I don't feel it is fair!

After two bad experiences we now go into a Currys or Comet shop and ask all the necessary questions, view the TV etc and then do the purchase online or at a supermarket. I wouldn't do this with a normal local business as I don't feel it is fair!

I'm going to start sounding like I'm just countering your argument for the hell of it now. But.

Most supermarkets don't stock anywhere near the same models currys or comet do. They tend to stock older models, making any advice you gain from the staff pointless.

Hello,

Speaking from my own experience over the years .... all the electrical items I have purchased from supermarkets were current models which were also on sale in local Currys and Comet at the same time.

I admire your stand for Currys but even DSG International (The Currys and PC World owner) reported last year that they plan to tackle poor customer service with nearly all of their 20,000 UK staff undergoing training. (Currys owner sticking with revival plans - Press & Journal=)

I also read last week that Trading Standards have taken Currys to task nationally over their poor after sales service and wish to see an improvement. (Can not find the link at present).

I am afraid you are fighting an uphill battle trying to show Currys in a good light to me. From my own experiences and those of close friends I will never buy from their stores again.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup

Trading Standards got involved and had an agreement with DSG that, where a customer complains to a manager and refuses, TS will contact said manager and tell them what they need to do, and the manager must follow that "advice". Alas, it seems that lessons are not being learned and I am not too sure that the scheme is working as intended. Personally, I think the time is ripe for undertakings to be imposed.

If insurers handled their business in the way DSG does, the FOS would be inundated with complaints and I don't think it would be tolerated.

We should be moving towards what TS want - a general licence to trade for each and every business.

I'm going to start sounding like I'm just countering your argument for the hell of it now. But.

Most supermarkets don't stock anywhere near the same models currys or comet do. They tend to stock older models, making any advice you gain from the staff pointless.

I really thought I said supermarket or Online! :)

Hello gyzmo,

Thank you for the Trading Standards info. I have to say that the lady I spoke to there was very good and advised me very well. Even to the point that if I did not get satisfaction she told me to call back and they would help more.

Onwards and Upwards

Chalkitup