• Tweets

• Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX 2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all.   Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
    • well post it here as a text in a the msg reply half of it is blanked out. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Several different collection companies for each debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3346 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

:-|Hi there. Apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place but I was looking for a bit of advice regarding the CCA1974 and the fact that some agreements may be unenforceable.

I have a personal loan taken out in March 2007 and 4 credit cards pre 2006.

I have always kept up my repayments allbeit some of them the minimum payment due, but for a payment of £84 I get charged approximately £60 in interest so its becoming apparent that I am going to be paying forevermore!

The annoying thing is that, according to my credit expert report online I supposedly have an "excellent" credit score of 940 out of 1000 yet when I recently tried to reconstitute my loan to consolidate my cards and car loan I got refused! Also I got refused 6 months interest free credit for an item of jewelery at xmas which only amounted to £33 a month payment!

I am now beginning to think what is the point of being 'squeaky clean' and struggling with all the payments when they treat me the same as if I had not?? Especially now when I learn that they may not be enfoceable by the courts.

Is it in your opinion morally wrong to default on these agreements which were, at the time made in good faith?

Also would they only be unenforceable if a DCA takes them on after I default (would the banks use the fact that I am still paying as me accepting the T&C's???

Would I be better off defaulting and allowing a CCJ to be made in which case would the interest be frozen???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi can someone tell me - if several different letters have come from several different 'recovery agents' does this mean they are basically selling the debt on after unsuccessful attempts to make contact and does it mean that if there is no agreement each of them is committing an offence under the DPA for passing personal information around?

Also the fact that ALL of the letters are 'FINAL WARNINGS' mean it is unlikely that they have an original CCA as they have threatened court action several times and never taken any? or offers for a 'limited time' of partial discounts.

If I havent heard anything recently should I still send SAR or whatever you call iy requesting information from the most recent or the original creditor????

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

this is how the game is normally played out, the unsuccseful dca sells the account on to the next unsuccsful dca... they can process your data? difficult one that, they do and will, the problem is if the debt does actually exist and only they cannot legally enforce due to non cca then getting them to stop processing is difficult. they all send these final warnings, its a game to worry you and try to force payment just cca them or write and say I dont understand why you have debt its already in default with so and so dca

may i ask how old is the debt

Of course you may

There are several credit cards dating between 2005 to 2006 and a loan dated 01-2006

Redletter

this is how the game is normally played out, the unsuccseful dca sells the account on to the next unsuccsful dca... they can process your data? difficult one that, they do and will, the problem is if the debt does actually exist and only they cannot legally enforce due to non cca then getting them to stop processing is difficult. they all send these final warnings, its a game to worry you and try to force payment just cca them or write and say I dont understand why you have debt its already in default with so and so dca

Thanks for reply.

According to some case notes I read on here something about Wilson v ? there was a high court judge who said that without a true copy of the agreement they cannot pass your information on as it is the alleged agreement that gives permission to do so?

Do you think it unlikely that they have the agreement as its been passed around so many times?

Redletter

If a loan agreement contains the payment details but the signatures are on the next page is it enforceable???

Redletter

Bit tricky for you as your loanfalls after 2006. They closed a lot of the loopholes and also the law changed regarding the enforceability of agreements. For your cards, there's no harm in a CCA request. You may get lucky.

Even though your credit rating seems to be good, they now add up all your credit, and offset it against your income, so maybe that's why you're finding it hard to get credit now. Banks and lenders are now being very cautious who they lend money to. Some will say it's like them closing the door after the horses hav escaped, but that's banks for you.

If you're struggling, then an IVA may be a option. If you have no valuable assets, then go bankrupt. Not hard to do, and it takes the pressure off, and let's you make a start on rebuilding your life.

Recessions don't last forever, but not as long as a pile of huge debts hanging around your neck for the next 5 years or more.

As for the morals behind it, show the banks and lenders the same morals they've shown you and most others on this forum. ;-)

• Haha 1

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

Thanks for reply.

According to some case notes I read on here something about Wilson v ? there was a high court judge who said that without a true copy of the agreement they cannot pass your information on as it is the alleged agreement that gives permission to do so?

Do you think it unlikely that they have the agreement as its been passed around so many times?

They are chancers. They gamble on being able to get you to pay. :evil:

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Even though your credit rating seems to be good, they now add up all your credit, and offset it against your income, so maybe that's why you're finding it hard to get credit now.
They always did do this, it's just now they are willing to lend far less.

How much roughly are you in debt?

Who are the credit card accounts with? What are the interest rates you are currently paying?

Have you asked them to freeze interest?

Are you managing to make all the minimum repayments?

Are you a homeowner? I would never recommend an IVA for a homeowner.

Would I be better off defaulting and allowing a CCJ to be made in which case would the interest be frozen???
Ideally you don't want to default as it can be a bit of a hassle dealing with DCA's etc but you may have to default depending on your circumstances. If a CCJ was awarded against you then yes interest would be frozen upon judgement as these are consumer debts.

Have you sat down and done a statement of affairs to see where all your money is going and realistically how much disposable income you have to throw at these debts?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

G/friend got letter from Cabot for alleged debt

claiming to have been assigned the debt from the original lender

with what they claim is a copy of the letter of assignment.

She made a verbal agreement to pay the alleged debt without 1st speaking to me.

They frightened her into paying a small payment by debit card and agreeing on the phone to pay a nominal amount each month.

Upon checking the previous correspodence there have been several 'collection agents' involved

-each one threatening legal action which was never forthcoming.

The last she heard from the CC company was that C.A.R.S had been assigned the debt!

However, Cabot claim to have been assigned the debt by the original creditor.

The company logo on the alleged letter of assignment is not even the same size as the one on the actual creditor's own letters.

So what happened to the other 3 DCA's?

What next do we ask for a copy of the agreement under section 77/78 of CCA

or do we just send preliminary letter to request the letter of assignment from original creditor????

Please advise.

I have also seen a thread which says not to quote CCA1974 but rather to request the original agreement

under some other rules and to specifically state the request is NOT under the CCA1974????

Apparently this is to prevent them sending a 'true copy' which may be a mish mash of several copies of different T&C's cut and pasted???

What are the 1st steps to take?

Do we cancel the DD, reject the claim on what grounds???

Thanks in advance:confused:

Redletter

They always did do this, it's just now they are willing to lend far less.

How much roughly are you in debt?

Who are the credit card accounts with? What are the interest rates you are currently paying?

Have you asked them to freeze interest?

Are you managing to make all the minimum repayments?

Are you a homeowner? I would never recommend an IVA for a homeowner.

Ideally you don't want to default as it can be a bit of a hassle dealing with DCA's etc but you may have to default depending on your circumstances. If a CCJ was awarded against you then yes interest would be frozen upon judgement as these are consumer debts.

Have you sat down and done a statement of affairs to see where all your money is going and realistically how much disposable income you have to throw at these debts?

Thanks for reply.

Not a homeowner.

If I ask them to freeze the interest do I get a default against me?

I guess I can battle on and pay them I just feel like its never ending!

One is Cahoot interest rate not so bad about 16%APR balance £1800

1 with virgin taking the Michael 31% per month not sure but it means out of approx £70 paid about £40 odd is interest. Balance £2700

1 with Argos who keep reducing the limit balance £1800

1 with Barclaycard balance below £500:-o

Redletter

G/friend got letter from Cabot for alleged debt claiming to have been assigned the debt from the original lender with what they claim is a copy of the letter of assignment.

She made a verbal agreement to pay the alleged debt without 1st speaking to me. They frightened her into paying a small payment by debit card and agreeing on the phone to pay a nominal amount each month.

Upon checking the previous correspodence there have been several 'collection agents' involved-each one threatening legal action which was never forthcoming. The last she heard from the CC company was that C.A.R.S had been assigned the debt!

However, Cabot claim to have been assigned the debt by the original creditor. The company logo on the alleged letter of assignment is not even the same size as the one on the actual creditor's own letters. So what happened to the other 3 DCA's?

What next do we ask for a copy of the agreement under section 77/78 of CCA or do we just send preliminary letter to request the letter of assignment from original creditor????

Please advise.

I have also seen a thread which says not to quote CCA1974 but rather to request the original agreement under some other rules and to specifically state the request is NOT under the CCA1974????

Apparently this is to prevent them sending a 'true copy' which may be a mish mash of several copies of different T&C's cut and pasted???

Redletter

Have you had a notice of assignment from any of the DCA,s

PF

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

G/friend got letter from Cabot for alleged debt claiming to have been assigned the debt from the original lender with what they claim is a copy of the letter of assignment.

She made a verbal agreement to pay the alleged debt without 1st speaking to me. They frightened her into paying a small payment by debit card and agreeing on the phone to pay a nominal amount each month.

Upon checking the previous correspodence there have been several 'collection agents' involved-each one threatening legal action which was never forthcoming. The last she heard from the CC company was that C.A.R.S had been assigned the debt!

However, Cabot claim to have been assigned the debt by the original creditor. The company logo on the alleged letter of assignment is not even the same size as the one on the actual creditor's own letters. So what happened to the other 3 DCA's?

What next do we ask for a copy of the agreement under section 77/78 of CCA or do we just send preliminary letter to request the letter of assignment from original creditor????

Please advise.

I have also seen a thread which says not to quote CCA1974 but rather to request the original agreement under some other rules and to specifically state the request is NOT under the CCA1974????

If you do have to pay them, don't do it by direct debit. If you have to, set up a standing order. That way, you've got control of things.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

PF[

/quote]

Thanks for reply PF

Allegedley yes, but it looks dodgy.

The CC Co logo looks as if its scanned the outline is bigger than the one on other correspondence from the OC and the background of it looks grainy as if its been enlarged.

How does it work with regards to assignment?

If a DCA bought the debt then was unsuccessful does it go to the next DCA or back to the OC???

Redletter

By the way what is the purpose of the SAR?

Is that to obtain ALL data held? Would I get to find out how much the DCA bought the debt for and maybe offer a 'token payment to cover admin costs of removing the default details from the CRA files? Is this a possibility?

Redletter

Its possible that Cabot were assigned the debt,and then used another DCA as their agent to collect.

In any event,there is a requirement to inform of this,and there should not be more than one chasing any debts.

Assignment requires the assignee to inform the debtor.

Have credit files been checked ? defaults should be re-registered under the assignee.Data processing should be arranged between the OC and assignee,but it should be made clear.

Will move your thread to the DCA forum.

I think at this stage it would also be an idea to re-title the thread until more becomes clear.

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

PF

Interestingley....the supposed notice of assignment allegedley from the original OC and 'signed' by the original OC suspiciously carries the exact same date as their 'welcome' letter!!!

Surely had Cabot 'recently bought the account....' the date on the notice of assignment would be prior to that of their letter which, incidentally uses the exact same font!!!

Redletter

By the way what is the purpose of the SAR?

Is that to obtain ALL data held? Would I get to find out how much the DCA bought the debt for and maybe offer a 'token payment to cover admin costs of removing the default details from the CRA files? Is this a possibility?

Redletter, with regards to a SAR, You are the subject. The purpose is to get hold of all of the data they hold on you, including statements, transcripts of 'phone calls, copies of letters (most important) etc. Don't let them fob you off with sending you copies of statements as the other stuff could be very important indeed - especially if it includes copies of default notices etc. It is highly unlikely that you will find out how much a DCA bought the debt for.

Regards.

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

Its possible that Cabot were assigned the debt,and then used another DCA as their agent to collect.

In any event,there is a requirement to inform of this,and there should not be more than one chasing any debts.

Assignment requires the assignee to inform the debtor.

Have credit files been checked ? defaults should be re-registered under the assignee.Data processing should be arranged between the OC and assignee,but it should be made clear.

Will move your thread to the DCA forum.

I think at this stage it would also be an idea to re-title the thread until more becomes clear.

I have just noticed that their supposed notice of assignment carrying the original OC logo and signature of OC staff says that the assignment is effective 10 Dec but is dated 30 Dec same as the 'welcome' letter????

Do I need to send SAR to the credit ref agencies (all 3?) before anything else and do I have to pay? Or do I SAR the OC to determine where the defaults may show?

Btw sorry I am having difficulty navigating with all these threads and not sure where i am!

Redletter

Thanks Fred I really appreciate your help I am new to all this. I am basically trying to deal with a number of alleged debts on behalf of the g/f!

They have all been as far as the DCA stage but thus far been ignored. The ones that lay dorment-should I let sleeping dogs lie or SAR them ALL?

Redletter

What does this actually mean?

Is it true that the 6 year rule only applies to a debt for which payment has not been requested or is it 6 years fixed from the time the default was logged-and is that from the time the original OC logged the default or when the latest DCA logged it again????

PLEASE ADVISE:confused:

Redletter

These debts get bounced around, sometimes an original creditor will employ a DCA to collect and when collection doesn’t happen the debt is passed back to the OC, sometimes the debt is sold to a DCA and then when collection doesn’t happen it is sold back to the OC who, then sells it on again to some organisation further down the food chain and so on it goes.

There ought to be a notice of assignment every time the debt is assigned and a letter telling you the debt has been returned every time it is returned to the OC, however, It’s not unusual to find that the DCAs send out notice of assignment using the OCs letterhead.

There has been a fair amount of noise on the forum lately about this because it is not strictly within the spirit of the act and although I think it’s wrong it might be sometime before any one takes one of the DCA to task over this.

You need the documents because you need to check the original agreement, the terms and conditions, default notice, notices of assignment, PPI and charges and I would think that sending a Data Subject Access Request to the OC would be, in the long run, the quickest way of getting all of what you need.

In the intervening period try and get the account into dispute by first making a CCA request to the DCA. Keep up the payments until the account is in dispute.

I do very little but I do it very, very well :cool:

If I've helped give my scales a click

:smile:

I have no legal experience and all advice given is based on the knowledge I've gained from this site.