Debt collection officer offering advice

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sofi, does the letter you have mention legal proceedings? Have you called them up and spoke to them about it?

That's about the point where I stopped thinking that we perhaps had a good 'un coming in to help - as soon as the 'advice' was to call, the alarm bells rang.

Why do we tell people not to phone, or accept phone calls? Because the people on the other end of the phone will scream and shout abuse, tell downright lies, refuse to accept reasonable repayment offers, and the worst part is, they don't write up the real conversation, but the one they think they had - you know, the one where the person offered to pay a fiver by debit card, they take that debit, and 10 minutes after hanging up, take £50 more!

Because we've all been lied to, or had abuse hurled at us, we're less likely to want to call again. In fact, it is far safer not to, and insist that everything is put into writing. That way we all know what has been said, and when, as it's printed on a bit of paper.

We take time to write to these DCA's and spell out that we do not want them to telephone,. and we will only correspond in writing, for the reasons given - but may of them still call, daily, several times - that is harassment, and there are laws against such abuse.

The threats DCA's make are designed to worry people who don't know how the 'system' works, that the DCA has no legal right to send in bailiffs, put a charge on property, insist the amount is paid in full within 7 days, or any of that claptrap.

How has it got to this state? Why do DCA's take that approach from the start? All it has done is get people to fight back, and CAG is about the best there is for advice on how to tackle the naughty DCA's.

Whilst I'm not going to suggest the OP crawls back under their stone, as a few have done, I do find it hard to understand why they came on here if it wasn't to bait people like myself and the other regular posters. What can they tell us that we don't already know?

It will be interesting to see if they do come back...

Be good to those who give you advice that helps - click the star to give them your thanks by way of a reputation credit.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed all the fun! Would have loved to ask the OP, when he 'fell into his job' exactly what training did he get, and for how long, before being put on the phones to make decisions affecting peoples finances and lives?

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Only just looked at this thread and it's quite obvious the OP had one intention, to soften us up with our attitude towards DCAs. At no point did he offer advice though he did confirm advice given on here. He would have got more support for his cause if he had come up with something that we weren't aware of. Suggest thread gets closed, it's completely pointless.