• Tweets

• Thank you for your responses. As requested, some more detail. Please forgive, I'm writing this on my phone which always makes for less than perfect grammar. My Dad tries but English not his 1st language, i'm born and bred in England, a qualified accountant and i often help him with his admin. On this occasion I helped my dad put in his renewal driving licence application  around 6 weeks before expiry and with it the disclosure of his sleep apnea. Once the licence expired I told him to get in touch with his GP, because the DVLA were offering only radio silence at that time (excuses of backlogs When I called to chase up). The GP charged £30 for an opinion letter on his ability to drive based on his medical history- at the time I didn't take a copy of the letter, but I am hoping this will be key evidence that we can rely on as to why s88 applies because in the GP opinion they saw no reason he couldnt drive- but i need to see the letter again as im going only on memory- we forwarded the letter in a chase up / complaint to the DVLA.  In December, everything went quiet RE the sleep apnea (i presume his GP had given assurance) but the DVLA noticed there had been a 2nd medical issue in the past, when my father suffered a one off mini stroke 3 years prior. That condition had long been resolved via an operation (on his brain of all places, it was a scary time, but he came through unscathed) and he's never had an issue since. We were able to respond to that query very promptly (within the 14 days) and the next communication was the licence being granted 2 months later. DVLA have been very slow in responding every step of the way.  I realise by not disclosing the mini stroke at the time, and again on renewal (had I known I'd have encouraged it) he was potentially comitting an offence, however that is not relevant to the current charge being levied, which is that he was unable to rely on s88 because of a current medical issue (not one that had been resolved). I could be wrong, I'm not a legal expert! The letter is a summons I believe because its a speeding offence (59 in a temp roadworks 50 limit on the A1, ironically whist driving up to visit me). We pleaded guilty to the speeding but not guilty to the s87.  DVLA always confirmed to me on the phone that the licence had not been revoked and that he "May" be able to continue to drive. They also confirmed in writing, but the letter explains the DVLA offer no opinion on the matter and that its up to the driver to seek legal advice. I'll take the advice to contact DVLA medical group. I'm going to contact the GP to make sure they received the SAR request for data, and make it clear we need to see a copy of the opinion letter. In terms of whether to continue to fight this, or to continue with the defence, do we have any idea of the potential consequences of either option? Thanks all    
    • stopping payments until a DN arrives does not equal automatic sale to a DCA...if you resume payments after the DN.  
    • S.88 only applies for the UK, incidentally. If your licence has expired and you meet the conditions for S.88 you can drive in the U.K., but not outside the U.K. 
    • Sleep apnoea: used to require the condition  to be “completely” controlled Sometime before June 2013 DVLA changed it to "adequately" controlled. I have to disagree with MitM regarding the effect of informing DVLA and S.88 A diagnosis of sleep apnoea doesn't mean a licence wont be granted, and, indeed, here it was. If the father sought medical advice (did he?) : this is precisely where S.88 applies https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/64edcf3a13ae1500116e2f5d/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla.pdf   p.4 for “new medical condition” It is shakier ground if the opinion of a healthcare professional wasn’t sought. in that case it is on the driver to state they believed they met the medical standard to drive. However, the fact the licence was then later granted can be used to be persuasive that the driver’s belief they met the standard was correct.   What was the other condition? And, just to confirm, at no point did DVLA say the licence was revoked / application refused? I’d be asking DVLA Drivers’ Medical Group why they believe S.88 doesn’t apply.
    • So you think not pay until DN then pay something to the oc to delay selling to dcas?    then go from there? 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Crapbot/Morgan Stanley card claim - lost!

cups
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4744 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi DD

Already done the CPR thing and they are saying the app form is an agreement! They do not have any of the other Goldfish stuff that I have.

Barclays, who are now Goldfish/MSDW, have written saying that they have nothing? Will write again, I have already told them that they have supplied docs to other parties but Barclays say that if you have no Barclaycard ref then they cannot find it!

Alre4ady written to Crapbot some weeks ago asking them to bring the original to court, they have niot said anything about that, they just ignore it?

I would not have the nerve to do what they do day in and day out!

Cups

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Just been to court for a Prelim Hearing,,their 'agent' turned up. V stroppy and not at all happy to be there! Heard them telling another legal type that 'it pays the bills'. We had a conversation that went:

ME Can I look at the original agreement please?

OS I haven't got it, as you're not entitled to it.

ME I think I am entitled to have sight of it.

OS No, you're not entitled to it at all.

ME Well I don't believe the law's changed.

OS No, you're not entitled to it at all.

They had her white notes with them which they kept getting out to read.

Went in to court and basically they spouted off about having given me everything that I wanted, and then said that my defence was quite clearly a 'cut and paste from the internet' that does not really say anything and relies on technicalities.

The DJ raised her eyebrows and then said that maybe it was because the POC were not laid out sufficiently and correctly that there was not a more specific defence. Quite clearly I had never applied for a credit card with Cabot!

I kept my cool and had written down everything I wanted to bring out.

I explained about the illegible agreement, that bits were missing (I had a big blown up copy of the app form for the DJ to see) I also pointed out that the first copy they sent did have a sticker on it saying app form!

I also pointed out that they had sent three seperate T and C, none of which were current for the date on the form. I also said that they had sent me two different notice of assignments, which had different dates on, one is even for someone else!

Then the trump card,,"and isn't it correct in order to go down this road they have to have sent a valid DN and TN?2 DJ said that they do! Well I have been asking for this for some time.

I also threw in that I may have a witness, I held up the App Form and said that the blanked out bits contained the words App Form under them and that the Prescribed terms were not part of the same form, the were an addition, which the DJ seemed to take on board.

The only that concerned me was the DJ said that a lot of recent stated cases, such as Carey, meant that a lot of avenues had been closed to challenge these technicalities. Surely they still need to provide a legible and complete agreement,,and have the original for enforcement?

I am now going to get on my reading specs and go for it.

I didn't get the chance to say anything to their agent,,but if you are reading this Cabot when I find out that you have tried to defraud me then I will go to the police and I will ensure that someone in your office gets invited down the local nick,,for a spot of PACE time..

Onwards and Upwards..

Cups ;)

Hi

Just reading things on here, how do I get the original agreement,,seem to think that I am going to be told that I cannot see it,,

Is this right?

Cups

Hi you can use a N244 form but there is a fee, i think its 75.00 to apply for directions from the court for them to produce the original document.

what Carey has done has for the debtor is to state that s61 of the CCA must be complied with as it clearly stays away from it in its judgment

Hadituptohere

I'm far from an expert, but learning all the time!!!!!

If i've been at all helpful please click my star.

Hadituptohere OH V Capital One, **WON**

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

Hi

Thanks for that but what is Sec 61, I have read some of carey but my head can't get round it?

Do I have to make an application for the original or can I just ask for it?

Thanks

Cups

I think you did fantastically well today. :D

I've got some stuff on Carey/original agreements which I copied off the site yesterday which I'll put up later. For some reason my computer is playing up and won't let me copy and paste. :confused:

Ask for it, and tell them if they don't send it to you then you will make an application to the court to order its disclosure. I doubt if they have anything other than the application form. When I did an N244 it was £40, but why waste that if they will produce what they have on the threat of it. Give them seven days.

DD

Finally, I am aware of recent test cases and rulings on the definition of enforcement. However, to prevent further confusion on your part, a Credit agreement without the prescribed terms is still unenforceable in a court. Furthermore, the methods you are using to attempt to enforce this agreement are a major transgression of OFT debt collection guidelines, which despite court rulings WILL call into question your right to hold a Consumer Credit Licence.

I suggest that you adhere to the guidelines in future, and am preparing a full report of your activities for Trading Standards and the OFT.

-They are the Claimant

2-They are providing an agreement but as I pointed to in an earlier post there were many problems with the *content* of that agreement.

3-Carey v HSBC-the Claimants were Carey et al.*They* requested a s78 copy of an agreement.

4-HHJ Waksman said that a s78 copy satisfies a request for information purposes ONLY.It does *NOT PROVE EXECUTION OF THE ORIGINAL AGREEMENT*.

5-A Copy of what they do have is in fact admitted to as being illegible 6.They do not have a copy of the default notice BECAUSE THERE IS NO PROOF OF EXECUTION OF THE ORIGINAL.they can say what they like 7-The Consumer Credit Regs 1983/1553 have not been complied with.

8-They do not seem to be disclosing what you require.And what they have seems insufficient.

9-*A* *Rule,Order or Practice Direction* has *_NOT BEEN COMPLIED WITH_* CPR 31:16.

Originally Posted by pt2537

_Courtesy Of PT2537_*

THIS APPLIES PRIMARILY FOR CASES WHERE THE AGREEMENT WAS ENTERED INTO PRIOR TO THE 6TH APRIL 2007.

THAT SAID, THE RULES OF DISCLOSURE APPLY TO ALL LITIGATION

ITs become clear that simply placing a creditor to strict proof on a holding defence will not work. The Civil Procedure Rules are there to allow you to obtain information from the Claimant and to allow inspection of documents etc which the Claimant is going to rely upon, these provisions are there so that you are in possession of the documents before you have to file a defence.

this thread will provide assistance where you need to request the documents using CPR 31.14 Getting Them To Reveal Their Vitals. Using CPR 31.14 to Your Advantage

CPR 31.14 allows you the right to request documents mentioned in a statement of case. Most of us are aware of this, but CPR 31.15 provides that upon receipt of a written request, the Claimant must allow inspection within 7 days

Quote:

Where a party has a right to inspect a document –

(a) that party must give the party who disclosed the document written notice of his wish to inspect it;

(b) the party who disclosed the document must permit inspection not more than 7 days after the date on which he received the notice; and

© that party may request a copy of the document and, if he also undertakes to pay reasonable copying costs, the party who disclosed the document must supply him with a copy not more than 7 days after the date on which he received the request.

So, if the lender doesnt give you the docs after being served with a written letter requesting the documents upon which they rely and which are pleaded, then you should raise this matter with the court, not by writing to the court but by making a formal application for an order compelling disclosure.

This will most likely bring an order for costs against the claimant too, so will make them realise that you mean business too.

The other point to note is CPR 15.5 allows you to agree an extension of time for filing the defence. So you can get 28 days ontop of your 28 days to file.It is always advisable to file an acknowledgment of service this gives you the full 28 days, you can state an intention to defend for now, you can always change the view once disclosure takes place. you need an agreement from the Claimant to do this and you need to write to the court to advise that you have indeed agreed with the claimant to a 28 days extension, this is an obligation of the Defendant to notify the court so YOU MUST do it if you reach an agreement with the Claimant, do not rely on them doing it cos you will end up with a Default Judgment.

If the Claimant cannot disclose then you cannot plead and this is where an application to strike out the case should be used in my opinion, there is no point filing a verbose defence which deals with everything and the kitchen sink where you dont even have the agreement they are reliant upon.

The CPR is there to help you, to help the court effectively manage the case and to set out what is expected from a claimant. it is unlikely that the court will refuse to order the Claimant to disclose to you the docs upon which the claim is based and the court will also take into account the fact that you will need more time to file your defence too,providing you ask for it!!

By securing the documents, you are ensuring that you dont file a verbose and meaningless defence when based upon the documents you dont have a defence, as this simply adds to the legal bill that you will have to pay. If you dont have a defence then you need to accept it, dont waste time defending the indefendable. I know it sounds harsh but you are the person who foots the bill if the case is lost, now its better to admit defeat early than taking it all to trial and then losing. a solicitor will struggle to justify more than a few hundred pounds within 14 days of issue, but believe me, its easy to run up 10 -25k of costs going to trial.

thankfully HHJ Wakeman QC handed down his judgment.

IF the agreement is illegible then it is foul of the Cancelation notices regs and then the court cannot enforce it, so , you would plead that the documents are illegible and you cannot plead as to the enforceability of the agreement at this stage

• 1 month later...

Hi

Thanks for that DD. I have been away but need to get ammended defence in by next week so will crack on today.

They have sent me an enexecuted agreement. I mhave been trying to get it increased in size and it is impossible to read.

Quite clearly they have also added what they say are the 'prescribed terms' and it is very noticeable,,as it is not straight!!!

Also I have noticed something else,,where it states my empolyment place,,it is wrong,,on the date of the app form I did not work where it says I do? I stopped working there the year before,,I would not have put down the wrong place, it doesn't make sense to do that?

Also I now have an even older DN from 2003 which is from MSDW and it is faulty with time limits and they cannot prove the amount either? So I have two default noticews that are both wrong.

Funnily enough CRAPBOT are not mentioning DNs at all in their POCs, they are just ignoring the issue? They are claiming the full amount not the arrears. They have said nothing about the arrears in the case? Can they turn up at court and claim just arreers. The latest DN says that I do not have any arrears?

Any advice?

Cups:-|

Is the document that has been supplied similar to that of chris v MS?

Have C'Bot supplied you with the inception T&C's; the terms that were applicable at the point of opening the account.

Note, MSDW application forms scan perfectly well.

Except the ones that CrapBot have unearthed from some tomb!

I also note that incorrect 'Financial Related Particulars' have been added on to the bottom of the chris v MS document; terms that were never there.

Furthermore, the APR had been doctored.

Naughty, naughty Crapbot; misleading the consumer again, are we?

Edited by angry cat
spelling

Well done for doing so well in the prelim. Below is a link to CCA 1974. Section 61 relates to the signing of the agreement. Section 60 is form and content of agreements and of course the very important Section 127 (3).

http://www.passprotect.studio400.me.uk/Consumer_Credit_Act_1974.PDF

Angry cat has come up with some good info and I'll return shortly with another link to a quote from Susan Edwards of the OFT which I hope will be of further assistance.

Well, let us take a look at section 7 of the Consumer Credit Cancellation Notices and Copies of Documents Regulations 1983.

In respect of regulation 7 which states:

7(1) Where an agreement has been varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act, EVERY COPY OF THE EXECUTED AGREEMENT given to a debtor, hirer or surety under any provision of the Act other than section 85(1)

SHALL INCLUDE either-

a) an easily legible copy of the latest variation given in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act relating to each discrete term of the agreement which has been varied;

or

b) and easily legible statement of the terms of the agreement as varied in accordance with section 82(1) of the Act.

Regulation 7 is quite clear in that it refers to a COPY OF THE EXECUTED AGREEMENT and that sub sections a) or b) are in addition to this and not any alternative to sending the ACTUAL EXECUTED AGREEMENT.

Hi

Thank you so much for that.

Between you and me, I have had it looked at by a document expert through work,,he says that you cannot scan sometyhing so badly and get the written text so clear and not the print.

The prescribed terms at the bottom are definitely added in, you cannot read them at all,,so cannot tell?

Furthermore the terms and conditions that they have sent are from 01/2004, they haven't even got them from 2000!!!

I am going to get on with my defence today.

Cups

• 1 month later...

Hi

I did my defence and have been away again. I am just about to put my WS in, the court have already given me a date (3 weeks time).

Am l right in thinking that if Cabot are trying to claim the whole amount then they must have served a DN and TN. There is nothing in their POC that says anything about claiming arrears only? Do they turn up at court and claim the arrears only and hope that the DJ will wear it ?

Swinging between worried and confident..

Cups

Further to the above, having examined the document with the help of someone else you can now tall that the 'bottom part of the app form that they say are the prescribed terms are taken as a direct left from the old terms and conditions that they have already sent me!! You can see it is a blatant cut and paste,,

I am going to make my own copy to show the court how it has been done!

Cabot/morgans normally produce the line 'where only claiming the arrears in their witness statements, there is a request you can send them asking them to validate the documents as true copies, im sure this has to be done prior to your witness statement (please correct me if im wrong), will have a dig about for the CPR request for you.

Hadituptohere

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (providian/Monument/Barclaycard cc) - ** claim struck out ** due to non complaince of CPR, Wasted Costs applied for, Default Cost Certificate issued by Court, Warrant of excecution and CC Baliffs instructed...lol 😎

Hadituptohere V Cabot, (morgan stanley dean witter/barclays cc) - account in dispute, LBA sent to barclays, awaiting responce, no responce.

Hadituptohere V RBS, default removal x 2, case dismissed, judge used Balance of Probabilities against hard Evidence.

Hadituptohere OH v Santander, Santander issue claim in court, settled out of court via Tomlin, less solicitors fees and interest.

'think it may be wiser to hit them with a notice NOW under CPR32.19 that you wish the claimant to prove the authenticity of the docs in court i.e. use the Civil Evidence Act & the BSI on document management. Legal Admissibility, Document Management, Document Imaging, Document Scanning | Archival

I think the form is N268 & it's free but check with the court. The forms are here:

PRACTICE DIRECTION – FORMS - Ministry of Justice'

This was some advise given to me in my thread, hope it helps

Hadituptohere

Thanks I will do that now. They don't think they have to bring anything, I have previously requested this from them but they ignored it. Will send it off on Tuesday.

Thanks

If they dont comply at least its something to put in your Witness Statement, that they have failed to comply with CPR (after two requests) yet again...

Hadituptohere

I sent the CPR requests months ago and they have only supplied the 'application form'. Never even mention DNs or anything on POC. If I use the new CPR that you have sent me, will they then have to supply it.

I am going to do an Experian check just to see what is there?

Thanks again

Cups

Hi

Just read 32.19 fully and there is no way that thye can avoid it. I am going to send it on Monday as guaranteed next day delivery, that is the day before my WS is due.

Stuff Cabot and their avoidance tactics.