• Tweets

• That is so very tempting.   They are doing my annual review as we speak and I'm waiting for their response once I have it I will consider my next steps.    The debt camel website mentioned above is amzing and helping to. Education me alot    
    • Sending you a big hug. I’m sorry your going through this. The letters they send sound aweful, and the waiting game for them to stop. But these guys seem so knowledgable and these letters should stop. Hang in there, and keep in touch. Don’t feel alone 
    • In my time I've never seen a payout/commission from a PPC to a landlord/MA. Normally the installation of all the cameras/payment of warden patrols etc is free but PPCs keep 100% of the ticket revenue. Not saying it doesn't happen mind. I've done some more digging on this: Remember, what your lease doesn't say is just as important as what it does say. If your lease doesn't mention a parking scheme/employment of a PPC/Paying PCNs etc you're under no legal obligation to play along to the PPC's or the MA's "Terms and conditions". I highly doubt your lease had a variation in place to bring in this permit system. Your lease will likely have a "quiet enjoyment" clause for your demised space and the common areas and having to fight a PPC/MA just to park would breach that. Your lease has supremacy of contract, but I do agree it's worth keeping cool and not parking there (and hence getting PCNs) for a couple months just so that the PPC doesn't get blinded by greed and go nuclear on you if you have 4 or 5 PCNs outstanding. At your next AGM, bring it up that the parking controls need to be removed and mention the legal reasons why. One reason is that under S37(5b) Landlord and Tenant Act 1987,  more than 75% of leaseholders and/or the landlord would have needed to agree, and less than 10% opposed, for the variation to take place. I highly doubt a ballot even happened before the PPC was bought in so OPS even being there is unlawful, breaching the terms of your lease. In this legal sense,  the communal vote of the "directors" of the freehold company would have counted for ONE vote of however many flats there are (leases/tenants) + 1 (landlord). It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  
    • @Whyisitthisthank you very much for asking. I am still feeling anxious, especially when someone rings the doorbell, or when I receive a letter I feel a it paranoid. I stopped going to the shops unless I really have to. I shop online now. When I see security I feel paralised. 
    • My expectation was their WS would include the best paperwork, like at least true copies of originals, but these just look wrong somehow, perhaps the font and size of font... Not sending me the DN in CCA request but producing it for evidence I would argue could be a tactic used by them... - Page 11 with ticks - there is no reference to IP addresses - Home addresses are correct for dates in documents   Just looking up example Defendant WS's while awaiting your thoughts on this
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Collections staff suffer abuse - 11/02/2009

PGH7447
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Credit Today online

Debt collection staff are subject to increased levels of abuse from debtors during routine collection calls, according to research carried out by the Credit Services Association (CSA).

The CSA said the majority of its members now experience unacceptable levels of abuse on a regular basis. Between them they handle more than 20m debt cases a year, representing £15bn in value. Over 25,000 people are employed in the UK by CSA members in either a full or part-time capacity, more than half of whom are female.

-------------

Hm can we contact the CSA and put our side of the arguament

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh the poor sensitive people

nothing like a taste of your own medicine.....slap it right up them

"No-one wants a call from a debt collector, we understand that," said Gillian Forrest-Elliot, head of training at the CSA. "We know that no-one likes debt collectors in the same way that no-one likes traffic wardens, but they are in fact normal people doing an extremely important job, and nobody deserves to be routinely subjected to abuse in the workplace. It should not be seen as ‘part and parcel’ of the job."

sorry-traffic wardens are above the DCA pondlife by quite a few orders of magnitude

what an insult to traffic wardens!!

Edited by lickthewallfatboy
  • Haha 1

How to Deal with Harassing Debtors-

London 11th March 2009.

There are an increasing number of instances where debtors are being abusive towards their collection staff; and further research carried out by the Association found that this is an increasing problem affecting a majority of members.

Dealing with these situations, while keeping up your company’s image, can be extremely difficult for collections staff, particularly those under the age of 18.

This training course is designed to coach your staff how to deal with these difficult situations.

What are DCA's doing employing people under the age of 18 - they really have life skills NOT/

Maybe they should get a new job then.

If you are generally unpleasant, phone people multiple times a day and harass people what do you expect.

If you are a kind, caring, helpful, understanding DCA you are in the minority

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

but they are in fact normal people doing an extremely important job,

:D

I've never heard DCA's being described as being a very important job before.

Now to describe them as low lifes with no social skills and no regard for the feelings and mental state of the people they are calling, would be a far better description.

To all the DCA staff reading this, take note of the following....

When it comes to a crap job in a DCA call centre, there's no point in complaining about it, nobody cares about you. After all, nobody forced you into filling in the application form and then dragged you along to the interview in handcuffs.

If you can't take the abuse you deserve for working for a DCA, then leave and get a proper job. It's really that simple.

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I wonder what they consider abuse? People refusing to talk to them, refusing to answer 'security' questions, refuting the debt or their victims being irate at their threatening and condescending attitude.

Besides, grown-ups would rather speak to grown-ups not spotty faced little scrotes who's only worry is whether they are going to get their leg over some other spotty minger at the next desk.:rolleyes:

I had to deal with Blair Oliver Scott who were harassing a family member.

Unsurprisingly once I contacted them in writing and mentioned they're behaviour was harassment (calls upto 6 times a day), and that I would be contacting trading standards and complaining to the OFT they took notice and stopped calling.

Regardless of their response we sent the complaint off to Trading Standards and the OFT.

Advice offered by ENRON is without prejudice and is for your judgement as to whether to take it. You should seek the assistance or hire of a solicitor or other paid professional if in doubt.

Another quote from Credit Today.

The CSA has launched a training course on dealing with abusive calls in response to the growing problem. It will be held on Wednesday 11 March in London and will coach staff to deal with difficult situations while maintaining a professional demeanour.

I think that means, "Carry on shouting at them and demand payment in full, or we'll send the boys round."

I think they should invite a few CAG members along to give them some real world experience. I'm sure we could do some role play situations so they would realise that no amount of training courses and scrips can prepare them for someone who knows what an enforceable credit agreement is.

With all the bad press the DCA's are getting at the moment, I think their cosy little world of preying on people who aren't aware of their legal rights, and getting away with flouting the law and guidelines is about to come to an abrupt end. And the sooner that day comes, the better. :p

Statute Barred after only 3 years? Bring it on. The sooner that one gets passed, the better. Then we can all have a good laugh as one by one the DCA's go out of business. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I think she shoots herself in the foot by admitting the average age of collections staff is low. How on earth can some untrained, probably not particularly well educated teenager, even begin to have empathy with people in debt.

All this is for is to push their one day CSA training session for collections staff. As we all know a few hours of "workshops", a bit of role play and a free handout will resolve matters a million fold.

Well they've kind of made a rod for their own backs. If they went about their jobs in the same way others do - ie consideratly - they would get the same treatment back from most people I am sure. But because of the pig-ignoranant, underhand, bullish behaviour they show when doing their job, they can't complain when they get that attitude back.

''......doing an important job..........'' My arse

The only people that a DCA's job is important to is the Greedy moneygrabbing people who employ them so that they can live in luxury living off other people's misfortune. They are of NO benefit to the economy or life in general. They are in fact a waste of space.

No doubt these gullible teenagers are employed on minimum wage with the promise of huge bonuses based on collection rates, thus encouraging their 'professionalism' :rolleyes:

I can imagine the morning 'staff huddles' when their supervisors/mananagers recite the office mantras, indoctrinating them with whatever pseudo american jingoism they dreamt up in the wine bar the night before.

As always, the CSA seeks to blame others for its own inadequacies - classic bully behaviour, of course.

The notion that employing young, not very clever people, paying them in a way that encourages bad behaviour, training them to contact people in a confrontational way, and then wondering why people fight back shows either breathtaking naivety or a stunning level of arrogance.

It's absolutely right that any employer should protect their staff from genuine risk, but I doubt that the CSA would accept that compliant behaviour on their part is the key to reducing levels of 'abuse' from those they deal with.

Note to Gillian Forrest-Elliot - if you genuinely think that DCA call centre staff do an 'extremely important job', have a look at Help for Heroes. It may help you to put things into perspective, and to understand why people don't take your organisation seriously.

Yer, right:eek: Abuse to them is someone replying no I cannot make a payment politely and that is compared to 20 odd calls a day going dead or we will report you to social services as you are not able to provide for your kids as you are obviously a bad parent:cool:With now can we have you payment card thrown in.....

No sympathy for them as they give none to us.:D

Note to Gillian Forrest-Elliot - if you genuinely think that DCA call centre staff do an 'extremely important job', have a look at Help for Heroes. It may help you to put things into perspective, and to understand why people don't take your organisation seriously.

Well said SP. I really wish the likes of Gillian Forrest- Elliot would take a look on the CAG. I think she would quickly realise who the real transgressors are and why DCA employees have the abuse they do!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post as usual SP. Our Troops, our nurses and many others ARE doing a very important job for about half the money the average DCA threat monkey makes. The abuse our troops have to take does not consist of people agruing their rights down a telephone but day and daily they face abuse from Kalashnikovs and Roadside Bombs. Our nurses here in the UK regularly have do deal with violent and drunken louts. They get on with the job and dont get an industry propoganda news sheet to whinge about how badly they are treated. Unlike the Threat Monkeys who regualrly abuse people, threaten them and do anything so as they can earn their monthly alcopop bonus. Dont make me laugh. No-one has any sympathy for a DCA employee whatsoever.

Another quote from Credit Today.

The CSA has launched a training course on dealing with abusive calls in response to the growing problem. It will be held on Wednesday 11 March in London and will coach staff to deal with difficult situations while maintaining a professional demeanour.

I think that means, "Carry on shouting at them and demand payment in full, or we'll send the boys round."

I think they should invite a few CAG members along to give them some real world experience. I'm sure we could do some role play situations so they would realise that no amount of training courses and scrips can prepare them for someone who knows what an enforceable credit agreement is.

With all the bad press the DCA's are getting at the moment, I think their cosy little world of preying on people who aren't aware of their legal rights, and getting away with flouting the law and guidelines is about to come to an abrupt end. And the sooner that day comes, the better. :p

Statute Barred after only 3 years? Bring it on. The sooner that one gets passed, the better. Then we can all have a good laugh as one by one the DCA's go out of business. :D

I agree...CAG member should turn up :D;)

The fact that abuse is increasing against DCA staff shows that people are a lot less scared of DCA's than they used to be, and are no longer afraid to tell them where to go.

Another indication that things are turning around in our favour.

Edited by Alex_DeLarge

Call me a cynic, but I suspect that this story has as much to do with the CSA spinning a tale to try and counter the bad press the debt industry is currently enjoying as it does with genuine harassment of DCA staff.

A responsible employer would bring proceedings against the perpetrator of genuine harassment of an employee, or if it's bad enough, report the matter to the police. They'd have to be able to justify their own actions, not least as the instigators of confrontation.

Given that DCAs regularly tell us that constant telephone calls, threats of legal action, lies and misdirection don't amount to harassment, I'd imagine that the CSA must be talking about their staff being subjected to some pretty heavy stuff - death threats, viable VBIEDs, that sort of thing - but something tells me that it will really amount to 'the nasty man shouted back at me'.

Welcome to our guest, incidentally...

• Haha 1

on a side note......isn't it now time for the likes of these forums to be viewable by members only,and not guests?

Then,according to the conditions of the site,the DCA's couldn't sign up without stating who they were,and then go on to use info gleaned here about specific cases?

it's worth serious consideration IMHO