• Tweets

• should have come here first really. What you requested was a load of irrelevant twaddle. What was the original debt? Have you moved since taking it out? If TM Legal are chasing, that should means that Perch own it now? Did you get the letter of claim by email or post? You should kill the emails immediately.   
    • sorry I have been confused by Statute Barred meaning. I thought with Statute Barred the debt cannot be chased 6 years after you have stopped paying.  Originally I set up a payment arrangement with all the companies around 2008 when things went horribly wrong. At that time the payment arrangement was with the original creditors.  I still have one of the original creditors who I pay each month (Cap1). I thought that if you make a payment arrangement you have to stick to that situation throughout. Also, MDR (Moorcroft) have been taking a monthly payment on behalf of M & S Bank for about 5 years. When I sent MDR a CCA request I got a copy of the original agreement sent to me directly by M & S Bank about 5 weeks after my CCA request. Sorry for my ignorance but would you suggest I stop paying all including Cap1 who are the original creditor? TIA
    • London1971 without divulging too much into his mental health he has issues regarding anything to do with government and so is it ok to fill the forms provided and what do I put on there  thanks  
    • Dear all, I am hoping for some advice/guidance on this matter. I received a LoC dated 12/04/24 and replied to this on the 2/05/24 disputing claim with the following reasons: 1: [Inadequate Affordability Assessment]: I contend that your institution failed to conduct a thorough assessment of my financial circumstances prior to approving the loan. As a result, the loan amount and repayment terms were not suitable for my income and financial situation. 2: [Unsustainable Repayments]: The repayment schedule imposed by the loan agreement placed an undue burden on my finances, making it impossible for me to meet my other financial obligations without experiencing significant hardship. 3: [Lack of Transparency]: Your institution did not adequately disclose the risks associated with the loan, including any potential increases in interest rates or fees over the loan term. I also added the following: Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 and the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) regulations, lenders have a legal obligation to conduct thorough affordability assessments and ensure that loan agreements are suitable for borrowers' circumstances. I hereby request that your institution: 1: Conduct a full investigation into my claim of irresponsible lending. 2: Provide me with copies of all documentation related to the loan application and approval process, including affordability assessments, credit checks, and correspondence. 3: Cease all collection activities related to the loan until this matter is resolved. Yesterday i received the attached reply via email and it included: 1: The Original Loan agreement 2: An account statement 3: A copy of a default notice letter. The email included a link for a direct debit set up page where you enter their reference and your bank account details (looks like a standard D/D set up page) but there is nothing to indicate the amount of the D/D that I might be agreeing to. I also think two days response time is not long enough to appropriately reply. Any thoughts appreciated   Email-compressed.pdf
    • Easy to set one up on Gov.uk , search on Google.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5465 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I think it's up to them to prove you owe the money. You haven't entered into a contract with them, received any goods or services, have had no bills, so I can't see how you can possibly owe money.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

send them a prove it letter they are trying to charge you for 2 visits £24.50 for first £18 for second they cannot charge you for letters only visits

send them a letter asking for dates and times of these so called visits and the name of the bailiff that allegedly visited you

I've had bailiffs involved with debts on a number of occasions, pretty much every time I paid the original creditor directly and not a single penny to the bailiff. I don't remember any of them chasing me for payment, even though some of them did make visits.

I'm not sure what the law says, but I'd have thought that as you never entered in to any agreement with them you can't possibly owe them money for anything.

Thanks for the replies yesterday

I've had another bloody letter from them today. They certainly aint giving up without a fight are they :rolleyes:

It says:

Removal Notice

Dear Emma Royd,

Despite our previous applications for payment you have failed to pay the outstanding Council Tax due to South Derbyshire District Council.

Therefore, we have arranged for our bailiffs and their removal teams to call at your home this coming week when they will remove your goods to the local Auction House. These goods will be held for a period of five working days prior to being sold.

We would prefer that you were in attendance when your goods are removed and should another day be more suitable we urge you to contact our office immediately.

We trust the content of this notice will be given your utmost attention.

Yours sincerely

Bailiff Manager ( no signature, have they been reading this site :D )

The removal bit isn't so threatening this time...the last lot have been in red and nowhere on this one do they mention an amount.

What winds me up is that every letter they send make it obvious that it's from the bailiffs as the Certified Bailiffs bit shows through the window everytime :evil::evil::evil:

Emma Royd

xx

What winds me up is that every letter they send make it obvious that it's from the bailiffs as the Certified Bailiffs bit shows through the window everytime :evil::evil::evil:

Emma Royd

xx

Certifiable bailiffs more like, if they think they can get away with this.

HHmm,

We have spent all day waiting in for Equitas - that is me and the dog!

When they turn up I will ask for compensation for remaining in in order to MAKE them understand that I do not owe them anything.

I am a 17 stone bearded biker with an attitude and my name is not SHARON!

They also claim to have knocked yesterday - what with a feather as my dog didn't here them.

GK

I suggest you write back and send copies of evidence proving you've paid the debt.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi all...

I've just had a pelethoral of very similar equita problems over a parking ticket, in the Bath area. Finally I have put a form four complaint in against the bailiff, for a multitude of sins including giving of false information, intimidation, bullying, over charging of fees, no paperwork detailing them, etc etc etc..I'm waiting to hear about the court date, and I know from the humble phone call i received from the bailiff, reducing my fees from £470 to £150 just like that, that he has been requested to make a report to the court. Sadly for him, I am classed as vulnerable as I'm under a doctor for depression and also a single parent (don't these parasites just love us?! we're so easy to bully!) The bailiff was practically telling me his life story, and that people 'liked him' on his rounds and 'called him by his first name', in a bid to win my sympathy. He finished by saying that now I had paid the £150, the matter was all resolved, and it was 'up to me if I went ahead with the complaint or if I would withdraw it', I asked him if he was asking me to withdraw it on the basis that he had reduced my fees, kind of like a bribe, to which he said no, no not that at all, it's just that I can see you're a 'genuine case', not just trying to blag me into not paying...What?!! what kind of joke is that??!!

Anyway, it goes on, and on, local press have reported on it, local council director written me semi grovelling letter saying they would wash their hands of Equita/bailiff if proven guilty (funny, I thought s**t stuck together?!:-) So....it's occured to me, that considering I have read page, after page of stories, cases and complaints about Equita on the net, and every one just as bad as the last, maybe some of us should considering collectively taking them to the high court in London, and finally get rid of this immoral, illegitimate outfit? What do people think?

By the way my empathies are with you Emma, truly..I hope the hassle has ended now..

Guest Happy Contrails
maybe some of us should considering collectively taking them to the high court in London, and finally get rid of this immoral, illegitimate outfit? What do people think?

The idea of setting up a bailiff fee recovery service using no-win no-fee terms has been punted around for a while, it was akin to these bank charge outfits that spawned in 2007 and TV personal injury firms. Somebody did have the plauisible idea of a subscription based phone/email consultancy where they can assist in recovery of unlawful bailiff fees and claiming compensation both via court and by negotiaiton with the authorities. I was happy to volunteer some free time for it but as always, it came to nothing. I couldn't see myself on the end of a 090 premium rate number.

• 1 month later...

Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Please bare with me if I sound all confuddled. Half an hour ago there was a knock on the door. Opened the door and a bloke stood there. Me thinking it was a DCA (had a visit last week) and was all prepeared to send him away.

It was a bailiff regarding my council tax. I told him it was paid months ago...i rang the council recovery debt while he was there to get them to say it was paid. She was no flipping help...again it's my own fault for paying them and not Equita. I'm shaking....I feel sick....hes given me a letter saying I have to pay £227 in 24 hours. I've told him I owe Equita nothing as i've paid the council direct and that Equita aren't allowed to charge for letters and i've had no visits. He said 'this is a visit'.

I tried to stay calm and told him that I know my rights but inside i'm a quivering mess :mad::-x:-(:|

What do I do now?

xx

PS he's wrote the time as 10.20am when infact it was more 9.20am and he's also got the registration of my car. I told him it wasn't my car :eek:

Please help i'm scared he'll come and take my car away now

thank for speedy replies hallowitch

No form just a letter that says 'DELIVERED BY HAND'. I saw my car registration on his clipboard.

just found out my MPs' number but i've got to nip out in a mo will ring it when I get back.

Am I right to say I owe them no money?

Paid council tax bill in full direct to SDDC

countless letters from Equita say that I owe them £42.50

NO VISITS EVER

and now this happened today

They aren't allowed to charge me for letters right?

thanks

xx

correct no visits before you paid the council no money honey for the bailiffs

if the bailiff thought he could legally Levey your car he would have done it this morning ( your reg on the clip board where you could see it was there to scare you in my opinion ) i wonder where the extra £184.50 came from because there would have to be levy to charge that no form 7 no levy

just to let you know that i've just spoken to someone in my MPs' local office. I've tried to tell him calmly whats happening and hes going to have a word with MP and get back to me as soon as. I've told him it's urgent as they've given me 24 hours to pay this £227

thanks again xx

Thanks hallowitch. Just had a call from MPs office asking for Equitas details :D. I can't believe how long this saga has been going on :confused:. Will keep you posted. I've just told the bloke that rang that it's urgent cos they've only given me 24 hours so hopefully it will get sorted today x

MP has just rang me. He's been on the phone to Equita but cant get through their security system. I've now given him my pin number to see if he can bypass with that. If not he says he's going to write to them and ask them to explain charges. I'm struggling to make him see that I don't owe them any money. He's saying that they will want their fees.

Back to locking doors and windows and hiding my car again :x

Hi all...

I've just had a pelethoral of very similar equita problems over a parking ticket, in the Bath area. Finally I have put a form four complaint in against the bailiff, for a multitude of sins including giving of false information, intimidation, bullying, over charging of fees, no paperwork detailing them, etc etc etc..I'm waiting to hear about the court date, and I know from the humble phone call i received from the bailiff, reducing my fees from £470 to £150 just like that, that he has been requested to make a report to the court. Sadly for him, I am classed as vulnerable as I'm under a doctor for depression and also a single parent (don't these parasites just love us?! we're so easy to bully!) The bailiff was practically telling me his life story, and that people 'liked him' on his rounds and 'called him by his first name', in a bid to win my sympathy. He finished by saying that now I had paid the £150, the matter was all resolved, and it was 'up to me if I went ahead with the complaint or if I would withdraw it', I asked him if he was asking me to withdraw it on the basis that he had reduced my fees, kind of like a bribe, to which he said no, no not that at all, it's just that I can see you're a 'genuine case', not just trying to blag me into not paying...What?!! what kind of joke is that??!!

Anyway, it goes on, and on, local press have reported on it, local council director written me semi grovelling letter saying they would wash their hands of Equita/bailiff if proven guilty (funny, I thought s**t stuck together?!:-) So....it's occured to me, that considering I have read page, after page of stories, cases and complaints about Equita on the net, and every one just as bad as the last, maybe some of us should considering collectively taking them to the high court in London, and finally get rid of this immoral, illegitimate outfit? What do people think?

By the way my empathies are with you Emma, truly..I hope the hassle has ended now..

Sorry for butting in here, but, just a short agreement and the addition; it's not only Equita, but Marstons and a whole bucket full of others. You are absolutely right, something has to be done and that soonest.

GR

How about going to the council offices first thing and asking for a written statement of your account, with the letter making it clear whether there are any outstanding arrears or not?

If the bailiff is saying its council tax they are collecting, a letter from the council saying you don't owe anything might do the trick.

Hang on in there and don't let them get to you.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Couldn't get on the net earlier and now....well now I just can't sleep. I've not felt like this since before finding CAG. I feel proper sick and my stomach is churning.

I never heard back from my MP so presuming he couldnt get through Equita security I rang them myself. Answering machine message telling me I have to ring the bailiff or press 1 to speak to someone. I pressed 1 and got through to some young lad and I asked him if anyone had been trying to access my account today.

He gave me the name of the lady from the council so she must have rang after i'd spoken to them this morning. I asked if anyone else had tried to access my account. I then told him my MP had tried to ring them about the charges that had been placed on my account. The lad confirmed i'd paid my council tax but owed them their fees. I told them they are not allowed to charge me for letters and that i've never had a visit EVER until today. He said that I had. Now I know that this is NOT true and all letters have been sent through the post and NONE hand delivered until this morning.

I then asked him if I sent them a SARs that it would show the times of these visits and he said yes.

blueboy987 wrote:

How about going to the council offices first thing and asking for a written statement of your account, with the letter making it clear whether there are any outstanding arrears or not?

I already tried that blueboy987. On the 1st of April I got the council to ring Equita and confirm the council tax had been paid in full. After a couple of hours I rang Equita and asked if the council had been in touch and could they confirm council tax paid. I was told yes it was on the computer that the lady from the council had rang.

I have no clue what to do now. The bailiff gave me 24 hours so I have until 20 past 9 or 10 in the morning? Even the time on the letter was wrong :confused:. I have parked my car at my sisters and walked home. I've locked all windows, doors and the back gate. Do I ring the bailiff first thing?...Do I ring Equita?....Do I ring my MPs' office?...Do I ring the council?

The only thing i'm sure of is i'll be having no sleep tonight :-(

Thanks caro

have read it through. Don't know if it's me being thick or if it's cos i'm tired but I cant quite take it in tonight :confused:. I'll have another read in the morning. I'm going to try and get some sleep now.

thanks again everyone x

Just note this bit for now and get some sleep.;)

8.2 The basic rule for Bailiffs is that entry should be without force, thus they have the

right to peaceful entry only. There is no legal requirement by a debtor to let a bailiff

into their home.

• Haha 1