Generic ink for printers prevented by manufacturers micro-chip

WAVE_131
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5634 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may sound petty but it really annoys me.

I bought an EPSON DX4400 printer. I decided to buy some generic ink cartridges for it, about half the price of EPSON cartridges.

They worked ok. But now I come to change them the new ones do not work. The computer does not recognise them!

At the risk of being paranoid is it possible that an on-line update has been downloaded to my EPSON drivers or printer to disable these generic cartridges? Is this legal (monopoly etc).

Suggestions welcomed!!

I don't know if they work in the same manner as Canon cartridges, but by cutting off the chip and sticking it on the "other" brand, the printer will recognise the cartridge - but will not be able to give information about content - i.e. will not let you know when they are running out.

People sell used cartridges on eBay because of this :eek:

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

I have used Epson printers for years and currently have an R285 and a DX3800, and have never had this problem with generic inks, unless the cartridge itself was faulty.

Have you tried disabling the automatic monitoring and then installing cartridges?

To disable monitoring:

Printer - Properties - Printing Preferences - Maintenance - Speed and Progress - Disable EPSON status Monitor, tick that box.

See if that helps. :-)

You need to reset the chip on the new cartridge.

Get a re-setter from

http://www.jrinkjet.co.uk/refilling-accessories-c-5.htm

Go to universal chip re-setter.Plenty of other advice on this site.

I have actually seen these on sale in larger Morrison's.

When you first start your printer with non-Epson cartridges, you should then get a message saying they are not the genuine article.Just click yes to continue and they will work as normal.

If none of this works you need to try another brand of compatible as some will work and others won't.

Incidentally I have seen DX4400 compatibles for as low as £1 each at computer fairs and on line.

I have a HP printer. Bloody fabulous it is, but the price of the cartridges is ridiculous. Have tried recycled ones as well as refilling my own and, well, the quality is crap.

Sorry to hijack thread, but if anyone can come up with a solutionfor HP (Deskjet) taht would be fab!

Garbage_Bin_.JPG

? ? ?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

At the risk of having my thread edited for advertising I get all my cartridges from stinkyink and they all work fine.

Printer Ink Cartridges - HP Canon & Epson Ink, Lexmark, Brother Toner cartridge

(and no I dont work for them - nor do I have any affilitation other than being a customer and I dont have a special link for you to try which credits my account - it is a personal opinion that is all)

i have an epson stylus photo R200 printer, and aside form the free "tester" cartridges that came with it, i have never used "official" cartridges.

a full set of carts for this printer costs between £25 -£35 "officially, but "unofficially" they cost £10-£15 for a full set, depending where i buy them from.

I tend to buy a new printer when the ink runs out. It's usually cheaper.

Just bought a colour laser (HP CP1217). Great printer at £97, but to replace the 4 toner cartridges can cost as much as £200 :eek: :eek: Methinks I will be buying bottles of toner powder come the time!