Rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

before this thread is closed down i would like to make a quick point

has any one posting worked in the catering trade

rats/mice are a big problem, they are survivors

restaurants employ pest control but they can be never beaten, what ever measures are in place

ime not going ito the nasties they carry, but think about it

poisend bait and air rifle are used, but only contain the problem, not eradicate

they are classed as vermin and desearve all they get, but that is why pest control measures are in place, to act with in the law on culling.

what needs to be addressed is why the rats are on the increase.

my number 1 reason is bin collections every two weeks to save money.

go back to weekly and let nature take its course as the food suply will be limited

i agree that something has to be done and no doubt that will involve killing them the only point i was trying to make was it should be done with as little suffering as poss somehow it all got lost somewhere along the debate

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

IF I`VE BEEN OF HELP PLEASE TICKLE MY SCALES :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when i left the forces i became qualified as a chef

i worked in clarkenwell ec1,

thats by the smithfield meat market and is a very old part of london. ime talking about the sewer system.

we had every measure in place to deter them, but every morning there were signs.

pest control were in every week.

even the enviromental health agrees with the problem

he said when we are all gone the only thing remaining would be rats and cock roaches.

the problem in that case has not increased as trade waste is collected every day.

since bin collections every two weeks, in local towns , has exploaded.

how many people have seen rats in broad daylight, they are no longer afraid as ample food suply.

why are the councils allowed to put peoples health at risk through cost cutting. and why is the goverment keeping quiet.

ill tell you why

keeping council tax bill low

sorry people i`ve got to go i`m late already council tax is gonna be a long one personally i`d tax the rich more be it council tax or whatever i dont care i`m not rich and if i was i`d be a bit more generous than people who are lucky enough to have no financial worries

S.C

Do you have a website? Add the following code to add a link to The Consumer Action Group:

<a href="http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk"><b><font color="#FF0000" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">The Consumer Action Group</font></b></a> - <font color="#FF9900" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Reclaim the Right as a consumer and reclaim your unfair bank charges! Free site with letter templates and helpful forum.</font>

Blooming do-gooders. Just because others have a different opinion, ie rats should be exterminated on sight, we have to listen to how we should treat rats as if they were an endangered species.

They are filth, did you know rats are incontinent and leave a trail of disease in their wee wherever they scurry too?

I wouldn't want to go to your house!

Blooming do-gooders. Just because others have a different opinion, ie rats should be exterminated on sight, we have to listen to how we should treat rats as if they were an endangered species.

They are filth, did you know rats are incontinent and leave a trail of disease in their wee wherever they scurry too?

I read of one case where someone contracted Limes disease which is spread in rat's urine.

I certainly would not want to hug one but some people do/will - each to their own................after all who and I to judge?

Bit of an exaggeration there. Yes, rats are not the most pleasant of creatures and yes, they spread disease and must be controlled. So do many other wild animals. The whole point of this thread was to discuss the method of dealing with them.

A rat can be killed quickly with a pellet gun or spring trap. There is no justification to deliberately cause any animal unnecessary pain. In fact, it is against the law to do so. (See my earlier post) I am of the opinion that anyone who takes pleasure in extending the suffering of an animal has some kind of psychological problem!

• Haha 1

Something wrong with doing good is there ? I wrote the original post i most certainly didn`t invite you in on it to question my moral opinion and you seem to have a problem comprehending the english language,my point was and still is it should be done with compassion,i dont want them as mates i dont have them living in my house or any other of the bizzar scenarios you seem to be making up and i dont live in a house anyway i live under a mountain and occasionally come out to play my flute so i can get all my rat buddies to follow me back to my mountain where they will most certainly be more welcome than youself.i`m going to unsubscibe from this thread now,it just seems to be decaying into petty bickering and i`ve found out what i needed to know.what was happening is against the law.

next time you come across a thread that you cannot help with just carry on to the next one and maybe you can do someone some good dont hang around to force your unwanted opinion down someone`s throat

S.C

Monty is right to suggest that we all live within 10ft of rats because some selfish humans discard their unwanted take aways on the streets! With regards to the diseases caused by them, I am still 41 years later looking to find a human that has been infected by them!

Gilberts comment "no ifs no buts" frightens me-but hey I believe in what goes around comes around- I picture a 8ft mega rat chasing Gilbert down his highstreet...:D

Something wrong with doing good is there ? I wrote the original post i most certainly didn`t invite you in on it to question my moral opinion and you seem to have a problem comprehending the english language,my point was and still is it should be done with compassion,i dont want them as mates i dont have them living in my house or any other of the bizzar scenarios you seem to be making up and i dont live in a house anyway i live under a mountain and occasionally come out to play my flute so i can get all my rat buddies to follow me back to my mountain where they will most certainly be more welcome than youself.i`m going to unsubscibe from this thread now,it just seems to be decaying into petty bickering and i`ve found out what i needed to know.what was happening is against the law.

next time you come across a thread that you cannot help with just carry on to the next one and maybe you can do someone some good dont hang around to force your unwanted opinion down someone`s throat

S.C

I thought that I was doing some good, although I am through with the rat debate. I think that you have concluded:

1. Rats should NOT be allowed in food factories:- as pointed out above they are capable of spreading diseases (some live in sewers and they have the bubonic plague/black death as witness to their potential devastation).

2. They should be culled in a humaine way:- there was some differences of opinion here but that's democracy for you!

3. They can become good companions:- this relates to the domestic rat since a sewer rat would take you finger off (they don't know any better).

The bit abouts AIDS, gays and other (non rat) stuff was off topic and I won't be commenting.

Good rattings to you all!

Monty is right to suggest that we all live within 10ft of rats because some selfish humans discard their unwanted take aways on the streets! With regards to the diseases caused by them, I am still 41 years later looking to find a human that has been infected by them!

Gilberts comment "no ifs no buts" frightens me-but hey I believe in what goes around comes around- I picture a 8ft mega rat chasing Gilbert down his highstreet...:D

Rat's carry a host of ticks and fleas, mainly due to the fact that they live in sewers etc, the domestic ones are popular pets and they do clean themselves (unlike DCA's - lol). I found this site which certainly has it in for them:

Diseases Caused By Rats

I thought that I was doing some good, although I am through with the rat debate. I think that you have concluded:

1. Rats should NOT be allowed in food factories:- as pointed out above they are capable of spreading diseases (some live in sewers and they have the bubonic plague/black death as witness to their potential devastation).

2. They should be culled in a humaine way:- there was some differences of opinion here but that's democracy for you!

3. They can become good companions:- this relates to the domestic rat since a sewer rat would take you finger off (they don't know any better).

The bit abouts AIDS, gays and other (non rat) stuff was off topic and I won't be commenting.

Good rattings to you all!

the doing good remark was not aimed at you it was aimed at the blooming do gooders remark by mr o sullivan,i found your input helpful and your summary was correct tho i really dont want them as conpanions,dogs do me fine :D

S.C

Monty2007 your points are very valid. It should be noted that after this debate- we all agree that rats if when caught should either be re-settled or be disposed of humanely. Not via being boiled to death!

Monty2007 your points are very valid. It should be noted that after this debate- we all agree that rats if when caught should either be re-settled or be disposed of humanely. Not via being boiled to death!

Cheers - I feel I have contributed.........

is?ZuiET98CYqYJF8_0yrKmS7IQnU0ZRgINO5YxHpvxTBg

As I said in my first post I splatter rats with a shovel if my cat brings one home to play with. It's a quick death as all the rat will know is his arse going through his head.

If somebody poured boiling water over one to kill it and it agonised to death I wouldn't have a problem with it, although I would take no joy either.

Rat pellets are an agonising death but that's legal.

We all should kill rats instead of inviting them home for tea and crumpets like schrodingler cat.

As I said in my first post I splatter rats with a shovel if my cat brings one home to play with. It's a quick death as all the rat will know is his arse going through his head.
Which is valid as the rat will be unlikely to suffer (though I fail to see the humour in killing an animal)

If somebody poured boiling water over one to kill it and it agonised to death I wouldn't have a problem with it, although I would take no joy either.
To kill an animal in such a manner would indicate to me a flaw in that persons character. And its illegal!

Rat pellets are an agonising death but that's legal.

True, but the person killing the rat is not likely to be taking sadistic pleasure from it. And in many cases, especially where there is a large infestation, poison is the only viable control.

We all should kill rats instead of inviting them home for tea and crumpets like schrodingler cat.
Now you are just being antagonistic!
  • Haha 1

Thank goodness there were some sensible discussion posts on this subjec t ! I find Gilbo's comments antagonistic and ridiculous - he'd probably jump a mile if he really saw a rat and as for his cat catching one - you'd be lucky ! How is it he doesn't mind his cat picking up the awful nasty germs from one ? Rats are part of nature - bluebottles are not particularly attractive - nor would I want one as a pet but we'd all be knee deep in s..t without them - everything has a part to play and the less humans interfere the better - nature does it better every time ! The reason we have so many rats is because we are so filthy and wasteful ourselves creating a perfect environment for them to thrive ! I'm for humane - which actually means acting with humanity not attributing humanity to an animal - that would be anthropomorphism !

• Haha 1

Thank goodness there were some sensible discussion posts on this subjec t ! I find Gilbo's comments antagonistic and ridiculous - he'd probably jump a mile if he really saw a rat and as for his cat catching one - you'd be lucky ! How is it he doesn't mind his cat picking up the awful nasty germs from one ? Rats are part of nature - bluebottles are not particularly attractive - nor would I want one as a pet but we'd all be knee deep in s..t without them - everything has a part to play and the less humans interfere the better - nature does it better every time ! The reason we have so many rats is because we are so filthy and wasteful ourselves creating a perfect environment for them to thrive ! I'm for humane - which actually means acting with humanity not attributing humanity to an animal - that would be anthropomorphism !

My cat is an excellent hunter. Not only that but she actually eats rodents despite being well fed, it is the taste of blood. She brings one back dead or alive on a daily basis almost.

And I deflea my cat each month and my vet has advised me to worm her every 6 weeks, rather than every 12, as she is a hunter cat.

This works a treat to keep her disease free.

I live in the country so my cat brings back all sorts of rodents such as fieldmice, shrews etc and I will pick one up by the tail and throw it over a hedge.

I know what a rat looks like and they will squeal when my cat is playing with them which alerts me.

I can tell you know that I have no hesitation cornering a rat and then splattering it with a shovel.

If you ever live in the country for some time then small rodents are more of everyday life than living in a city.

I fear their disease, not their being.

And you lot are just on a wind up mission to defend a disease bag like a rat.

My cat is an excellent hunter.

I think you will find the best rat catcher/hunter - and effective killer - more humane or canine :D is a good old patterdale terrier ! If you are a country person you would know this ! Cats are for softies ! Maybe you should go get it some catnip toys instead of allowing it to pester innocent critters - shrews and fieldmice are tiny AND endangered !

• Haha 1

i am against killing anything

i know they are rats and most people hate them but if they have to be killed they deserve a quick death/quote]

In my opinion you need to get a coupla good Patterdales down at your workplace pronto ! That would get shut of your rat problem in a quick and effective way :lol: Mind you your workmates would probs get off on that too !

I think you will find the best rat catcher/hunter - and effective killer - more humane or canine :D is a good old patterdale terrier ! If you are a country person you would know this ! Cats are for softies ! Maybe you should go get it some catnip toys instead of allowing it to pester innocent critters - shrews and fieldmice are tiny AND endangered !

I said I throw shrews over the hedge, alive or dead. There is no offence caused if a cat hunts down these creatures-maybe you should brush up to know what you are talking about.

And a canine would be quite useless to scour an outbuilding's attic-a cat can climb.

And a cat is easier to look after when I spend long periods away, they look after themselves.

My hasn`t the debate progressed since i left

I think some people here are getting confused as to what a rat is

Looks like a mouse,no hair on its tail and usually about a third of the size of your average cat sometimes more and would undoubtedly cause damage to any cat that cornered it tho i doubt any cat would be that stupid thats unless you`ve got a very big cat of course :eek:

still butting in on the post with your unwanted opinions i see mr o sullivan,just cant keep away from ripping into us do gooders can you ?

here`s a few definitions of a rat to contemplate,i`d watch out for the third one

rat (n) any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse

rat (n) someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike

rat (n) a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible

the general concensus seems to be against causing as much pain as possible when dealing with the rat infestation

Edited by Mr lex
Please leave out the insults

There is no offence caused if a cat hunts down these creatures-maybe you should brush up to know what you are talking about.

And a canine would be quite useless to scour an outbuilding's attic-a cat can climb.

Maybe it is you sir who should brush up on your knowledge because the question that was originally posted was not "does a cat cause offence when catching vermin" but "what is the most effective humane way of killing vermin" - I put it to you that the most effective way to do this would be to get a bone fide rat catching terrier such as my patterdale into the rat infested place mentioned!

A case in point was billy the terrier a most prolific rat catcher in his day! i would like to see your statistics for how many rats your cat can catch in such a short time!!!

Image:Billy_Rat_Killing_Dog.jpg Billy's career was crowned on April 22, 1823, when a world record was set with a hundred rats killed in five-and-a-half minutes.

As for dogs climbing i think the likelehood of rats in your attic are minimal as they like to be underground or at least on ground level, also you could always carrier the terrier up, cats cannot be controlled they have a mind of there own!

• Haha 1

My cat will on average kill a rodent a day, sometimes more than one if she has found a nest in the countryside.

Also she roams freely on my estate so she controls and deters any rodent type critter who may be stupid enough to nest on or near my property.

An alsation dog lost an eye to her when it was foolish enough to attack her.

She's nails.

And a rat will much prefer an attic or cavity wall of an outbuilding to nest rather than ground level for safety and warmth-you need to learn a bit more!

And a cat owner cannot be prosecuted for their cat doing a poo or killing protected rodents-unlike a dog owner.

You should get your facts right.

My hasn`t the debate progressed since i left

I think some people here are getting confused as to what a rat is

Looks like a mouse,no hair on its tail and usually about a third of the size of your average cat sometimes more and would undoubtedly cause damage to any cat that cornered it tho i doubt any cat would be that stupid thats unless you`ve got a very big cat of course :eek:

still butting in on the post with your unwanted opinions i see mr o sullivan,just cant keep away from ripping into us do gooders can you ?

here`s a few definitions of a rat to contemplate,i`d watch out for the third one

rat (n) any of various long-tailed rodents similar to but larger than a mouse

rat (n) someone who works (or provides workers) during a strike

rat (n) a person who is deemed to be despicable or contemptible

the general concensus seems to be against causing as much pain as possible when dealing with the rat infestation

Rats serve no useful purpose whatsoever and just spread disease.

If every rat on earth was killed I wouldn't even flinch.

Edited by Mr lex
Please leave out the insults

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5641 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks