Heating system perils - HELP

Turvesathome
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5712 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

HELP!

Last Wednesday we turned on our heating system to test it for winter. It didn't work. I have British Gas Homecare 400, and called them out. They came on Friday and said a valve wasn't working. They came to replace the valve today, and have done so, but the system is working fully, only about half the radiators are working.

I spoke with the BG engineer on the phone, and he has said that when the heating system was installed the system wasn't flushed through, and subsequently there is a build up of 'sludge' that he would expect to see in a house 20 years old. Our house was a new build and we have been in there for 3 years! he says the boiler is struggling to push the water though. When he tapped pipes around the boiler there was a 'whoosh' and the water started flowing, but not all radiators are working. He reckons the whole system may need replacing, about £5k!!!, or a ' flush through' may fix it, but cost £1k!

I am waiting to hear back from the builder, I don't think this is covered by the Homecare400, NHBC don't cover from years 3 - 10, and my it isn't something I can claim on with my insurance. I have 3 kids, the youngest just 1 year old, and don't have £5k to play with.

Can anyone give me any advice? My insurance company suggests Faulty Workmanship, which I will push the builders about, but is this covered by anything, anywhere, or am I going to have to fork out and go to court about?

Edited by Turvesathome

Hi TV

Welcome to the forum & sorry to hear of your problems.

A little more info may help -

1) How old is the property? - 3 years I'm presuming. I thought NHBC covered for 10 years or are they saying "yes, but not the heating system"?

2) Was it built by a "big" company

3) Do you have any legal cover on your insurance policy?

Regards

Tc

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court

Hi TV

Welcome to the forum & sorry to hear of your problems.

A little more info may help -

1) How old is the property? - 3 years I'm presuming. I thought NHBC covered for 10 years or are they saying "yes, but not the heating system"?

2) Was it built by a "big" company

3) Do you have any legal cover on your insurance policy?

Regards

Tc

1) Yes, coming to the end of the third year, and NHBC say the heating system is not covered from year 3 onwards

2) Lodge Park, I don't think they are classed ab 'big'

3) I have tried my insurance company. I have buildings, contents etc but this isn't covered as there hasn't been 'an accident' as such. They suggested going to my solicitor regarding faulty workmanship.