Ask to pay for a special delivery item

Allwood
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5749 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Today when I got home I found a card put thought my letter box which said that a special delivery letter needed a signature as well as a fee for £9.25 as the sender did not pay full postage.

This item is a package the post office had put the wrong date on the card they put yesterday date.

I am not expecting a special delivery item from anyone I know of the only people that I would expect something from would be the ICO but I would have thought that they would have sent this to me in the normal post not special delivery.

Also I was under the assumption that all special delivery items had to be paid for up front by the sender not the person at the other end.

I could be wrong but I expect it could be a DCA's or the bank. :evil:

Thanks twofoot for your reply and I concur with you - only a **** of a DCA would pull one like that. They will have sent back to them within a week as that is as long as the post will keep it for. There no end to their nastiness :p

go to the office and tell them you have a parcel waiting, but ask to SEE it BEFORE you sign for it. If you don't want it then, just refuse it.

They send SD mail back after a week if it hasn't been collected.

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

hi allwood

go to the sorting office, give your card and ask who sent it, the return address will be on the reverse

quick tip

once you have the info of who sent it, appologise that you dont have id and will return

if they ask for id first, again appologise that you dont have any, and as there is a fee, request on who sent it.

if you go to the sorting office with id and you dont want it, it will be endorsed as refused, tipping off who sent it.

if it is from a dca, just dont go back and it will be endorsed not collected.

part of my job is returning specials and recorded delievery

it looks like its underpaid

companies who have there mail collected quite often miss read the weight, so incur a charge

£9.25 is quite high for a charge

looks like a 9 oclock special

royal mail normally put a £1 handling fee plus the shortfall in postage

Edited by postggj

No not expecting anything from abroad, the PO card say it needs a signature also. It give an number and at the end of the reference it 7GB now can I look that up on the RM website rather than going to the collecting place to see it who it is from. The box is not tick where there is a customs charge, IO am curious to know who it is from now. :rolleyes:

The reference ending in 7GB is the tracking reference. You can check the RM web site (don't use the PO version) which shows when the item was delivered (or if it hasn't been). It doesn't show who sent it.

The '7' is a check digit on the numeric part of the reference. 'GB' means it originated in ... GB. Looking it up on the web will simply show it hasn't been delivered, but I think you are clever enough to work that out anyway! :)

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

what happens though if the PO hands over the package WITHOUT asking for ID!

My local sorting office used to do this, must admit last time I had to collect something delivered to me by Amazon, they did ask though, so maybe they're getting hotter on this now. HOWEVER, they asked to see ID BEFORE they went to collect the parcel, not once they had it!

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

just play dumb

say you forgot id and ask where its from

many people ask me that first before paying a charge

its only specials/recorded that id is asked

i allways let the customer inspect before paying

main reason for this is i object to the charges

what we used to do was wait a day, so you got a second class delievery service

its all about profit now, sod the consumer mentality

allwood

what letters does the serial number show

just the first two letters

also

phone the delievery office

say you have a card, ref a special

as it has a charge can you tell me who sent it

there should be no prob with that

just say you will pick it up later

postggj thank you for your useful post, the last 3 digits were the one that I posted above. The first 2 digit are SG. with 8 more digits in between.

Rather than going down to the collection place I will give them a ring and do you suggested.

Many thanks again.;)

Tried to ring the post office regarding SD but unfortunately, they were very busy and could not get through, so I went to the collection place and there was hardly anyone around postggj are they cutting back on employing staff. Anyway, when a member of staff was available, I produced my card and he went and got the package which was a jiffy package the size of A4 paper. It looked like it had lots of paper inside it. I did as postggi suggested and asked to see who it was from but on looking it did not have an address on the back of it. All it had was the post office label with with it barcode. It had an address across it in black felt pen and also on the PO label. To me it looked like lots of A4 paper inside it.

Unfortunately, I did not have any ID with me or enough of money to pay for the SD charges - the person at the post said because there was nothing on the package to say who sent it that was why they were charging so much. I advise that I would be back later with money and ID to pick it up.:mad:

Postggj - yes I have done SAR to no avail. I am awaiting a response from ICO regarding a complaint that I have made because Equifax allowed 2 DCA's on to my credit report without my authority..

What struck me today when I saw the brown A4 jiffy bag it had my name typed on the part of the PO with a bar code therefore it would seem that this was not done at any post office it must have been a company that has lots of recorded pr SD mail to send out. And it must have been put through a letter box to be posted otherwise I am sure the post would have insisted on a return address.

If the package is not picked will the post office have to look inside it for a return address and what if there is not return address to send it back to sender. :-o

>>Postggj - yes I have done S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) to no avail. I am awaiting a response from Information Commissioners Office regarding a complaint that I have made because Equifax allowed 2 DCA's on to my credit report without my authority..

Is that right, DCA's are prohibited from looking at your credit file unless they have authority from you ?

No DAC's got authority from me to look at my file and put trace on it. When I phoned Equifax they said their clients DAC's are paid up members and they would have assured them that they have the necessary authority to see my file that is why it is with the ICO.:evil:

No not expecting anything from abroad, the PO card say it needs a signature also. It give an number and at the end of the reference it 7GB now can I look that up on the RM website rather than going to the collecting place to see it who it is from. The box is not tick where there is a customs charge, IO am curious to know who it is from now. :rolleyes:

Remember what killed the cat LOL:eek:

I would leave it where it is.If they dont have a return address then it goes to a special RM depot (Belfast I think) where it is opened & then returned to sender if there is an address inside.They can then pay for it & send it properly.

Unless you are in a hurry for it of course & I would then ask for my SAR tenner back from the supplier.

I have SAR them and got it back but the OC did not have any thing by way of an agreement and it was not included in Equifax bundle when I SAR them however both the OC and Equifax were both outside the time limit with my SAR.

I am only waiting now to hear from ICO regarding my complaint to them and I am sure they would not send out a packet like that for me to pay such a charge for it. :Cry:

it might be that the ico has ordered the creditor/dca to send you the sar

because of personel details, the company has to abide by the data protection act in safe guarding the data.

in all my years with royal mail, i have never known a dca use special delievery to confirm a person

they are to greedy to pay and normally send gruby post cards asking for the ocupier to contact them.

westcot comes to mind.

it is the normal thing to send an sar by special delievery.

you can claim the charge back, just ask for a receipt and send a copy to the company who sent it.

it seems ok to collect it

but the choice is yours