• Tweets

• yes they mostly would be enforceable, but that wasnt the point. even if they get a CCJ the very worst they could have done is get a restriction k which is useless to them. doesnt hurt anything. the CCJ would remain on file for 6yrs yes, but then gone same as a DN. the rest k charge does not show at all. and even so, the idea was to get your debts issued a default notice ASAP, them RESUME payments.. the advise is NOT conflicting, just you don't read things properly or understand.  oh well. dx
    • This is the dilemma I had then and still have it. The bit that stopped me was the post 2015 comments about them being enforceable now in most instances which I feel hasn’t been answered unless I am missing something. the bonus I guess is not all credit agreements now will be chasing me so less people chasing me down so to speak. this is the problem as there is conflicting messaging out there it is hard to plan a strategic way forward 
    • In 2017 my wife was given PIP and I finally, officially, became her carer. In 2019 she was reviewed and we were told it would be done by phone to make it easier for her as she has mobility issues and anxiety. The review was very simple, Has anything changed? No, ok, we'll stay as you are then. In 2022 a second review, this time by phone again but with an awkward given at the end for 5 years. Today, we got a new review letter (I know wait lists are bad, but I dont think the wait will take til 2027 for a decision). We're a bit confused because it's a letter, not a phone call as before. The form is just questions that ask "has anything changed" Now, since 2017, nothing has changed except we had our home adapted via disability grant. This was noted in the phone calls. So we should really write that nothing has changed in the last 2 years. The adaptations have been mentioned in both previous phone reviews, but not in writing so I guess we should bring it up. But we feel that they want us to explain everything as if it were a new claim again... And are worried if we miss something in the original claim or the phone calls she will risk losing part of the award (a 2 point swing could be really bad) It does just say "has anything changed?" But in dealing with ESA prior to getting PIP, answering the question asked "has your condition worsened or improved" at a review process with a simple "no, I'm still the same" somehow led to ESA ending and needing appeal. So just want a bit of guidance. How much detail is needed? Is minimal ok? Or should we be blunt with the fact nothing has changed, and bullet point the things she struggles with in each section?   I know the obvious thing is to just explain it all,but over 10 years the sheer amount of times the poor woman has had ESA or PIP stopped/refused just because something was missed out in their report, or they felt it meant a new claim should be made, or that they judged her healthy because we missed a tiny thing in our forms. During COVID it finally seemed like it was all just going to be smooth, especially with the phone reviews and the 5 year reward, but here we are. We just want to make sure we have the least chance to trip ourselves up, but making sure we have what is expected if you get me? I wish I still had a copy of the forms from 2017, because I could just verbatim copy them and add in about the adaptation, but (ironically) we lost our photocopies we kept of them when the house was being adapted
    • might of been better to have got them all defaulted 2yrs ago as we carefully explained before then you'd already be 1/3rd there and your current issue would not be one.    
    • No doubt the hotel will have security cameras on the floor you were staying to confirm or deny the allegation??   The only compensation you will probably get, which will be discretionary as a goodwill gesture, will be a credit voucher for the entire hotel group. Very much doubt anything more than that as you have not substantiated, the hotel committed the transgression 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

debate over disabled parking

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5763 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You are quite correct .. @ Robin9342

the post I was referring to has now been removed .

• Haha 1

When you want to fool the world, tell the truth. :D

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, the logic escapes me. It seems to me you are implying that disabled people either should, or do, have more rights that able-bodied people. I thought this was about equality....

Whilst I fully support that disabled people should be given every assistance possible to enable them to access the same facilities as everyone else, I totally disagree that it is any less inconvenient for an able-bodied person to arrive at a car park and find no spaces!

seftonview has answered this better than I could. I do however want to say to Robin & Zamzara. Your responses show complete misunderstanding of what physically disabled people have to cope with.

I however cannot blame you. I was the same way and got punished with several difficulties, so much so that I am going to intensive physiotherapy now in order to be able to walk slowly. I am literally learning how to walk from scratch - something that is taken for granted when you can walk no problem.

Even when I can walk without crutches, i.e. have the ability to straighten my right leg, I will still be disabled due to other physical disabilities and that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever be able to walk without any difficulties - just like an able-bodied person - again.

A disabled person reaches a parking lot and finds no parking spaces, he/she has no choice but to either park completely illegally or drive away, due to the difficulties in reaching the destination. An able-bodied person can park another half a mile away without any difficulty, hence the reason disabled people are entitled to special parking places.

This is in no way discriminating against able-bodied people, trust me I would much rather be able to return my blue badge and go with friends [i don't have a driving licence or car] and be able to have them park a mile away or travel by public transport.

Edited by Rooster-UK
Reference to "normal" people

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

:-) If you feel my post has been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

A disabled person reaches a parking lot and finds no parking spaces, he/she has no choice but to either park completely illegally or drive away, due to the difficulties in reaching the destination.

And if those same parking spaces are all taken up by blue badge holders, then what?

I think the OP has continually pointed out his reasons .. how many times does he need to explain them to you ? would it help if I went back over the threads and get each of the post numbers for you ? or are you able to reread them yourself .

He is correct in saying that you are just trying to bait seen as the OP has gone out of his way to answer all your questions regardless of some of the nasty comments aimed .

I know the reason, what has not been explained is why they think they will win in court. These bays are not enforceable to disabled only so why does he think he is entitled to compensation because they were full?

Then it's probably a fair kop. Again, assuming there are sufficient spaces.

How would you work out what constitutes sufficient space? is there something proscribed?

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

Your responses show complete misunderstanding of what physically disabled people have to cope with.
Not true. Although I am able bodied, I was a carer for a disabled relative (with a blue badge) until she passed away, involving weekly shopping trips by car to a large supermarket. So, I do understand. However, I, like others on this thread are simply trying to point out that whilst the OP has every right to go to court and claim that the supermarket has infringed their rights under the DDA, the outcome is far from certain.

Put simply, I am sure we all support facilities to allow disabled people equal access, in the end it is likely to come down to what the court considers reasonable. My opinion is that, rightly or wrongly, the court will decide the the supermarket has done all that it reasonably can. Of course, the OP's opinion is the opposite, hence has taken legal action.

I know the reason, what has not been explained is why they think they will win in court. These bays are not enforceable to disabled only so why does he think he is entitled to compensation because they were full?

1. I bet that most of the people who receive these tickets don't know that they're not enforceable so it acts as a deterrent. I am guessing that a good proportion pay up and don't contest them, so it is also financially viable for them to do this - even in the current way.

2. Parking attendants can be there and move people along. It happens in some stores, so it's obviously possible, and that does also act as a deterrent.

There are routes for them to ensure that the parking spaces - for the most part - are not used by people without a valid blue-badge with the disabled passenger in the car.

Also my understanding is that the way they issue the tickets is not enforceable, but that they could issue them in a way that was. I'm not going to get into a discussion on this bit, because with my other responses it's irrelevant and I'm not 100% sure on the exact way this would be done, but have heard that it is possible.

The OP is entitled to compensation because they have not done their utmost to prevent abuse of these spaces. If they had an armed robbery and the thieves took up those spaces - then I could accept why they didn't have any spaces for disabled people, but otherwise there is no excuse for having spaces being taken up by people without a valid blue-badge used with the disabled person either as a driver or passenger in the vehicle.

In response to Lula:

How would you work out what constitutes sufficient space? is there something proscribed?

I doubt there is a specific amount prescribed, but the retailer would have to have a policy in place for each store, which explains how the amount of spaces and locations are decided. Without a policy they are most likely in breach of the DDA.

A policy would logically have to be based on the average amount of people that come into the store, how many by public transport - on average, how many vehicles - again on average, size of store, parking spaces, local population, approximate local disabled population [is possible to obtain from local councils by a Freedom of Information Act request on how many blue badges have been issued] and so on and so forth. I'm sure that a retailer the size of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and the others can afford to do such a calculation.

If they can show such a policy and calculation, together with evidence of enforcement and deterrent attendants, then they'd be complying with their obligations, otherwise they wouldn't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:!: All the information I impart is my advice based on my experience. It does not constitute professional advice. If in doubt, always consult with a professional. :!:

Not true. Although I am able bodied, I was a carer for a disabled relative (with a blue badge) until she passed away, involving weekly shopping trips by car to a large supermarket. So, I do understand. However, I, like others on this thread are simply trying to point out that whilst the OP has every right to go to court and claim that the supermarket has infringed their rights under the DDA, the outcome is far from certain.

Put simply, I am sure we all support facilities to allow disabled people equal access, in the end it is likely to come down to what the court considers reasonable. My opinion is that, rightly or wrongly, the court will decide the the supermarket has done all that it reasonably can. Of course, the OP's opinion is the opposite, hence has taken legal action.

Read my post! I never said that you don't understand what disabled people have to go through, I said that your posts show a complete misunderstanding. There's a big difference, I don't know you personally so can't comment on the former.

I would think the supermarkets have checked census databases and calculated the percentage of disabled people and allowed for equivalent disabled bays. Although not an exact figure, I have to say I have only ever once seen a supermarket car park where every disabled bay is occupied by a blue badge holder.

Interestingly, I have seen an argument going on in a supermarket car park between a blue badge holder parked in a parent and child bay and a mother who arrived seconds later and was unable to park. The point is, both types of bay are equally un-enforceable.

This reminds me of the council "courtesy" disabled bays: The type where a disabled person can ask the council to paint a bay outside their house, but anyone (including non-badge holders and other disabled people) can park there without penalty. Do you consider that the council is acting outside the DDA?

Can we please keep the discussion on an impersonal basis.If the personal snipes continue, then I will have no alternative but to close the thread.You have already been asked on more than one occasion.Rooster-UK.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Read my post! I never said that you don't understand what disabled people have to go through, I said that your posts show a complete misunderstanding. There's a big difference, I don't know you personally so can't comment on the former.

Please explain the difference between "you don't understand" and "you completely misunderstand" :confused::confused::confused:

Please explain the difference between "you don't understand" and "you completely misunderstand" :confused::confused::confused:

I never wrote "you completely misunderstand" which would be the same as "you don't understand", but I wrote "your posts show a complete misunderstanding". Big difference.

I am not taking a personal snipe at anyone and mean no insult to anyone, but do feel that some posts in this thread take a snipe at physically disabled people, and hence at me.

BS8300:2001 provides that for shopping, retail and leisure car parks with >200 spaces the minimum allocation of disabled parking spaces is four bays plus 4% of the total car park capacity.

However this has to be considered in line with the provisions of the DDA as well, so if this is the quantity provided but the spaces are over-subscribed further allocation would be considered a reasonable adjustment unless there was justification not to.

If I've been helpful, please add to my rep. :)

One of my post was considered as personal by a poster, when all I was attempting to show was that the op had said they don't care if a person is disabled, all they care about is if they have a blue badge or not.

That, to me, is selfish

BS8300:2001 provides that for shopping, retail and leisure car parks with >200 spaces the minimum allocation of disabled parking spaces is four bays plus 4% of the total car park capacity.

However this has to be considered in line with the provisions of the DDA as well, so if this is the quantity provided but the spaces are over-subscribed further allocation would be considered a reasonable adjustment unless there was justification not to.

Interesting. Thank you for that seftonview.

I am sure however that there must be some form of calculation, that this is based on an average amount of blue-badge's awarded in the locality? For example if a Tesco is in an area with a larger amount of disabled people than average - that is clearly visible - wouldn't they from the start have to provision for more spaces?

Of course the effectiveness depends on the size of the lot. You can make the whole lot disabled spaces, but disabled people won't be able to walk from the other end to the store without assistance, so it will be a waste.

Is there a specific calculation based on the width & length of the parking lot [and height, in some cases] and proportion of disabled population?

It would be interesting to know.

Um, sorry I'm still confused. Surely if I write something that shows a complete misunderstanding, then by definition, I must have completely misunderstood something. Which is the same as "I don't understand".....

Anyhow, I hope that none of my posts are construed as sniping, because all along I have simply been trying to convey an alternative point of view.

Going back on topic

don't you think the outcome to this will be very interesting .. if you agree with the claim or not .:)

I am very very interested in the outcome

Advice & opinions of Janet-M are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any

doubts.

Going back on topic

don't you think the outcome to this will be very interesting .. if you agree with the claim or not .:)

So am I. If seftonview succeeds I may try it myself!

Um, sorry I'm still confused. Surely if I write something that shows a complete misunderstanding, then by definition, I must have completely misunderstood something. Which is the same as "I don't understand".....

Anyhow, I hope that none of my posts are construed as sniping, because all along I have simply been trying to convey an alternative point of view.

This is off-topic, so this is my last response on the subject.

I disagree. One may have a sudden thought that does not reflect their true colours or may have not read the posts or considered the scenario at time of such a posting.

Continuing posts like that would demonstrate that the person had a complete misunderstanding, but I have not seen continuous posts of yours to be able to make this generalization.

Just like anybody who makes a negative statement about a Moslem will be considered by other Moslem's to be insulting all Moslem's, I consider the same is true here. If one makes a statement that I consider insults physically disabled people or misunderstands us as a group, I will be personally offended.

If that's a problem for you, then so be it, because that ain't going to change by me anytime soon.

Now we've both voiced our opinions, can we please get back on topic???

So am I. If seftonview succeeds I may try it myself!

If he succeeds , and I truly hope he does and others start claiming it may get them to do something and get all the lazy B******S who abuse facilities for disabled stopped.

Sometimes I have to leave my disabled son in the car as hes not up to a trek around the supermarket .If I can park in the disabled bays then I can shop and also watch him .If the spaces are taken by lazy g*ts using cash machine , running in for lottery ticket etc then I am unable to shop .I then have to return again with him later .

doubts.

Going back on topic

Without a doubt it will be interesting. If the OP wins, would it set a legal precedent that other stores must follow, or would disabled people have to take their chances in court each time?

a legal precedent can't be set in small claims court . so yes each time it will be down to the individual until the stores see sense .

doubts.