style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5823 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello can anyone advise please, this years council tax was due to be paid by me monthly from the 1ST april 10 months @ 150 pounds , paid 300 on the 8 may 2008, received a court summons dated th 15th may for the whole amount outstanding, I cant afford 1200 pounds at one hit and i feel it is a bit unfair, i spoke to the council and they say its out of their hands now. what can i expect if i turn up to court , would it be an attatchment of earnings ? ccj ? im happy to pay in instalments any pointers

Hey KTF, if you are in Scotland - check out the link below. You should now be able to arrange a time to pay, this great site will help and explain all. If not then sorry, unsure! I agree they are being very unreasonable - are they not supposed to accept reasonable offers? Make sure you put your offer in writing, and get their reply/refusal in writing. That way you can show the court they are being unreasonable and wasting everyones time.

Hope someone can advise further. Good luck

Time to pay for council tax debt free help from Govan Law Centre, Glasgow, UK

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

thanks for the quick reply , but iam in the uk , i just feel that it is pretty harsh + they have slapped on 80 quid summons fee,

They are obliged to send you a reminder.

The court hearing is only to establish your liability to the tax and the judge can do noting except make a liability order against you so it is not worth attending.

They say it is out of their hands to gleen the extra fees from you. As soon as the liabilty order is received, ring them and make you offer of the payments again, they will accept.

I think a liability order cost £50 so they are making £30 and that is why they are so quick to issue the summons.

Have a look at my posting:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/local-authority-council-tax/145135-disgusting-two-faced-councils.html

Edited by Conniff

thankyou for the replies , just rang the council , it will go to court and they will add £80 summons costs and £5 liability order so £85 total onto my already extortionate council tax bill , then i still have to pay in instalments , so another one bits the dust, i will be sending an letter to the council ,as i didn't recieve the reminder, a warning to anyone who didn't set up a direct debit from 1st april .

That is disgusting. Who thought it was a good idea to give the councils so many powers and then make them answerable to....no-one?

Dipply75

I am in no way a legal advisor and only speak from my own experiences and the helpful advice of those in the same boat! :p

Who thought it was a good idea to give the councils so many powers and then make them answerable to....no-one?

This countries worse government finance department ever and the illustrious leader and ex chancellor Gordon Brown. He love to see people squirm and hits the poor as he knows they cannot afford to hit back and don't have any friends in high places.

So, all that just for you to pay what you offered anyhoo. Right (sighs and shakes head). Is there no-one KTF can complain to - outwith the council?

Am I being silly lol

Dipply75

no i dont think so , its not even that im in arrears, £1500 bill per year and paid £300, next payment would be due 1/06/08 , this country has gone to pot ,it makes you wonder where it will end , maybe soon all c/tax due in one payment on the 1st april ???