HFO claimform - old Morgan Stanley Card Debt **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4422 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Excellent IGNM! This is what the Cabot people came up against because the assignment instruments were copies contained in a book debt transfer. Although obiter it could be cited at disclosure and in a Part 18 request - don't you think?

Best - Richard.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does a book debt transfer amount to a valid assignment - depends on what the documernts say.

Court of Appeal obiter actually carries a lot of weight in the County Court so it should be cited.

I personally wouldn't use Part 18 to try and get a copy of the actual assignment - use CPR 31.14 - it specifically requires disclosure of any document mentioned in any claim form. witness statements etc

As an example if you just wanted them to answer a question - say asking the date of assignment that is what I would generally use Part 18 for IF HOWEVER you wanted the document I'd generally use 31.14

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

Back from my hearing.

Application for permission to appeal granted.

Well done BA. Now we can all help with the appeal itself if you like.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

The Judge recomended the appeal be heared by a chancery Judge who would have more knowledge of credit law.

I made him aware of s127, which he looked up and I quoted Wilson v FCT.

In general the judge was understanding and listened to my points unlike the previous hearing.

He still raised the moral argument though.

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

Excellent...that is seriously well done...and of course we'll all help out - did he give any directions - presumably you've got to serve the other side.

Just out of interest which court is it in?

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

Excellent result Broken Arrow. Sounds like this was a fairer judge than the last. I do wonder if the events of the past six months (bankers, banks, greed and devastation) has given these DJs a different insight. One can but hope.

Re the moral argument though - courts only deal in points of law. Don't they?

Whooo hoooo! Made my day :D

Quite right Rhia - courts deal in law, not morals. As if HFO had any morals...whose morals are in question, I wonder?

Well done BA. Makes the first judge look like a bit of a monkey. Incidentally, a deputy district judge was sacked the other day - the first one in 30 years! Talk about a safe job!

Excellent...that is seriously well done...and of course we'll all help out - did he give any directions - presumably you've got to serve the other side.

Just out of interest which court is it in?

Leeds

US President Barack Obama referred to Ugland House as the biggest building in the world or the biggest tax SCA* in the world.

Leeds

I'm in Sheffield - who was the Judge who did the permission to appeal.

If you post the date of the appeal, assuming I'm free, I'll come over and provide a bit of moral support

Well, we need to get all the CAG big guns onto this to make sure it's watertight and that any 'moral' issues get blown out of the water. Look forward to another battle in the war against the vermin!

(Sorry, IGNM, didn't mean your 'moral' support!)

Whooo hoooo! Made my day :D

Well done BA. Makes the first judge look like a bit of a monkey. Incidentally, a deputy district judge was sacked the other day - the first one in 30 years! Talk about a safe job!

That's unusual - although they do actually get rid of Deputy DJ's - a Deputy is only on a fixed term contract - its' not unknown for contracts not to be renewed but to sack one - do you know why? If so do tell

The Judge recomended the appeal be heared by a chancery Judge who would have more knowledge of credit law.

I made him aware of s127, which he looked up and I quoted Wilson v FCT.

In general the judge was understanding and listened to my points unlike the previous hearing.

He still raised the moral argument though.

Well done BA. Don't worry about the 'moral' argument. This is a court of law - and Lord Hoffman's speech on 'unfair enrichment' will deal with the moral point.

Arrow Global/MBNA - Discontinued and paid costs

HFO/Morgan Stanley (Barclays) - Discontinued and paid costs

HSBC - Discontinued and paid costs

Nationwide - Ran for cover of stay pending OFT case 3 yrs ago

RBS/Mint - Nothing for 4 yrs after S78 request

Quotes from the Daily Hansard Parliamentary Debate regarding Debt Collection and the Consumer Credit Act on 22 April 2009 beginning at column 338.

At column 341 Mr Andrew Mackinlay (Thurrock) (Lab) states:

The industry is rotten to the core, whether it is in-house recovery and collection, or where agents are used, or where the debt has been sold.” [my emphasis added]

At column 342 The Minister for Trade, Development and Consumer Affairs (Mr. Gareth Thomas) states:

“The OFT would expect the debt collection agency concerned to have checked the accuracy of the client data details that it received from the creditor or agency, and, where possible, to have obtained a copy of the original consumer credit agreement.” [my emphasis added]

See the original Hansard publication on the link below:

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 22 Apr 2009 (pt 0019)

HTH

Regards – Richard.

I don't know what I'm doing then...I'll check when I get home...if I'm free I'll come over to Leeds - what time are you up

Edited by I've got no money

Have you been orderes to file a skeleton - even if you haven't as an LIP you'd get away with filing one - likewise doing an amended defence...

We need to come up with something good - and we will