• Tweets

• Thanks dx for your kind words. I plan to renew my season ticket and write a new begging letter as following, can I ask for any suggestion about it?   Dear Investigator/Prosecutor,   Thank you for your reply. I deeply regret my actions and the inconvenience they have caused.   I’m extremely remorseful for my crime. and regret it everyday. I often ask myself ‘’how can I do that thing just because I felt it is interesting. There are a lot of crimes in the world, but feeling it’s interesting is certainly not a reason to crime. I should not crime with any reason.’’ I think about these things every day, and I understand that I can’t blame anyone but myself.   I thanks to the staff who stopped me, as this is a valuable lesson in my life. I told myself that I should never ever repeat such a thing again, and never ever do anything which is possible to be in breach of any law. As a result, I carefully tap my oyster card every time before I enter the station now. I remind myself that I did a wrong thing before, and I should never let it happen again.   Although my monthly travel expenses do not warrant a season ticket, but I just renew my season ticket (please see the attachment). I understand that a crime cannot be truly compensated for, but purchasing a season ticket offers me a small measure of comfort, knowing that my actions caused a loss to the public interest.   I received an email which ask me to negotiate being class teacher in this summer (please see the attachment). I hope that I could teach the lovely students again, which may not be allowed with a criminal record. I would please ask that you would please provide me a single opportunity to settle all outstanding sums owed outside of court without the need for legal proceedings which would have a determinantal impact on my teaching career.   I sincerely apologise again for my crime. If you need anything further from me to help you please let me know.    Yours sincerely,
    • You did what??? You asked them to send you the documents that without them you had  a 100% ironclad win in Court. Why on earth would you do that? As it happens in this case, there is still enough mistakes in their PCNs and the NTH to have your case cancelled. Amd it may be that not sending those documents in the first place along with the ICO complaint and the letters from Alliance themselves which would confirm by the dates on the letters may be enough to cancel it anyway. I hope you have kept their letters as evidence? The chances are that Alliance will not actually take you to Court because of their errors but you never know.  You have made so much extra work for yourself in your WS if they decide to push their luck.though. Can you please post up their letter where they give the reason why I wasn't sent with the NTH.
    • I'm not sure that I fully agree with my site team colleague above.  My understanding is that there is nothing to stop you recording but it is strictly for your own personal use.   
    • I live in a student house, with 5 tenants, unihomes is our utilities provider, who we each have a direct debit set up with and have paid each bill every month. Two letters were sent in my name by BWLegal saying I had two outstanding payments due adding up to over £3500, I have tried to contact british gas (as that is apparently our houses provider) as well as Unihomes. Nothing has helped and BWlegal are pursuing legal action if these debts are not resolved by the 1st May. What do I do? I've called Bwlegal when i bring up that the debt isnt for me and for unihomes they hang up on me. so I am stressed and do not know what to do
    • cant do either if its not in a public place or on your land. dx  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

For those who insist low-carb diets are useless...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5372 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

BBC NEWS | Health | Diet treatment call for epilepsy

I told someone a while back that time was on my side, as more and more studies were showing that most, if not all, of the myths about how bad LC is for your health, were just that: myths.

It's a shame that to avoid being seen a complete u-turn on previous thinking, the medical body is still going on about the "not without its side-effects", without specifying what those side effects might be, or that said side-effects might not be bad ones. Still, it's a start. ;-)

I don't think any of the 'experts' really know what's good and what's not.

How many times have you heard that coffee is good for you only to hear some other 'expert' say it's not. Same with chocolate, wine, potatoes and goodness knows what else I've heard (and ignored) over the years. Milk is another one.

I believe plenty of protein is beneficial in a diet as well. But I don't know if you can combine the two without compromising either. In other words, can you have a low carb. diet and still have plenty of protein in it?

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

Absolutely, yes, foods high in protein often are the ones also low in carbohydrates, so a low-carb diet is usually high in protein, high in fat, high in green veg, mainly cutting out the sugar and the starches.

But I would have thought a high fat content would be the last thing you would want in a diet.

HALIFAX: 13/01/07 Sent S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) letter (marked as rec'd 16/01)

Paid in full in March 07

The classic low-carb diet was the Atkins diet. Invented by Dr Robert Atkins in 1998.

Rumour is that Dr Atkins died from CONGESTIVE HEART-FAILURE. One of the main symptoms is that the body fills with water. If not treated vigorously with diuretics, eventually the body drowns in its own juices.

Rumour is also that when he died he was clinically obese.

Effective diet? I think not!

The principle of the diet is that by starving the body of carbohydrates, the body is forced to break down the stored fats to produce the sugar that the body needs. A side effect of this process is the production of KETONES which are the cause of the smell of pear-drops that you find when a diabetic deperately needs insulin. The ketones, if not treated will usually result in keto-acidosis, which can be fatal.

The best diet that I've come across (and I've seen a few) is the one I was given by the heart-failure clinic. Low fats, moderate proteins and plenty of carbohydrates. (and don't forget your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day).

The cardiac diet, not only looks after my heart, it suits my diabetes, perfectly. It is, basically, just a very healthy diet.

What more do I need?

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

If you're on a 5 a day fruit AND vegdiet you NEED carbs to counter the 'natural sugar' in fruit... carbs help calm your nerves and help you to sleep, not enough carbs for your body type means no sleep.... (ask me how I know that one!). Also too much fruit and veg and not enough carbs and fibre play havoc with arthritis...

I was a trained medical secretary and whilst I didn't do diet stuff I worked with people who did and they totally disagreed with the governments views on 5 a day... and this was a major London teaching hospital.

IMO thereis no one diet that suits everybody. What works for one person might not work for another. Then if your on medication then that's different again. My partner is on medication for mental problems and is currently about 26 stone. Her GP but her on slimming tablets but they are having no effect at all. I did try her with Herbalife products but she was only using them five days a week. That meant that any benefit was lost at the weekend. In that month she did lose a bit of weight but didn't have the willpower to stick at it. I might look into this pink patch thing but I suspect it may not suit very heavy people

Paid in full in March 07

The classic low-carb diet was the Atkins diet. Invented by Dr Robert Atkins in 1998.

Rumour is that Dr Atkins died from CONGESTIVE HEART-FAILURE. One of the main symptoms is that the body fills with water. If not treated vigorously with diuretics, eventually the body drowns in its own juices.

Rumour is also that when he died he was clinically obese.

Effective diet? I think not!

The principle of the diet is that by starving the body of carbohydrates, the body is forced to break down the stored fats to produce the sugar that the body needs. A side effect of this process is the production of KETONES which are the cause of the smell of pear-drops that you find when a diabetic deperately needs insulin. The ketones, if not treated will usually result in keto-acidosis, which can be fatal.

The best diet that I've come across (and I've seen a few) is the one I was given by the heart-failure clinic. Low fats, moderate proteins and plenty of carbohydrates. (and don't forget your 5 portions of fruit and veg per day).

The cardiac diet, not only looks after my heart, it suits my diabetes, perfectly. It is, basically, just a very healthy diet.

What more do I need?

What more do you need? To get your facts right would be a good start.

1 - Dr Atkins did not invent the low-carb diet, the first recorded instance of it goes back to the 19th century.

2 - Dr Atkins, a CARDIOLOGIST, by the way, did not die of CHF, he died after slipping on the ice outside his NY home, and cracked his skull, and died after 2-3 weeks in a coma.

3 - Dr Atkins was NOT clinically obese when he was admitted in the hospital, but his weight did balloon whilst fed intravenously during his coma, not an unusual event.

4 - A proper LC diet does not mean "starving" the body of carbohydrates, it means reducing the amount of carbs (sugar and starches), and increasing the amount of green vegetables and natural fat and protein instead.

5 - You are confusing keto-acidosis with ketosis, which is one of the body's normal processes for the metabolism of body fat. 2 very different things, and 2 very different processes by the body.

6 - The American Diabetic Association is now recommending low-carb diets as the natural way to get type II diabetes under control.

7 - The 5-a-day is a government-set initiative. There have been NO studies to show that having 5 a day is significantly better or worse than having 2 or 10, or for that matter having any positive effect as such.

If you're happy with your low-fat (urgh! :-|) high carbs diet, good for you, personally, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, but at least, please try not to roll out the PETA/Daily Mail alarmist version and do try to find out the actual facts for yourself. I did, I realised it all made much more sense, and I never looked back.

Incidentally, the above study confirms what low-carbers already knew, as did the turnaround by the ABA. I reckon that in a few years time, low-fat will be completely discredited as more and more long-term studies show that the way forward is the way we are genetically pre-disposed: fat and protein first, carbohydrates in very small quantities (such as provided by berries).

PS: I found Low-Carb through my GP, so not all doctors buy into the low-fat cliche, thank goodness. ;-)

Here we go again...the one thing I always say when people tell me they are going on a diet, or contemplating going on a diet, is this: eat what you normally eat, but just eat less of it (subject to medical conditions)

The rationale is straightforward: your body and your brain have become acclimatised, over the years, to the items you put inside...you eat five bars of chocolate a day, your body and your brain are expecting chocolate...and if they don't get chocolate they will rebel, and cause you pain...

If you cut down from five bars to four for a week, your subconscious cravings are satisfied, so you can cut down to three bars...

The same is true for anything and everything you eat and drink...withdrawal leads to withdrawal symptoms, but cutting down demonstrates your will-power...

And finally, whatever the diet, whatever the reasons...ask yourself this: you have eaten/drunk this thing for years, you clearly enjoy it, do you really want to deny yourself this pleasure?

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Here we go again...the one thing I always say when people tell me they are going on a diet, or contemplating going on a diet, is this: eat what you normally eat, but just eat less of it (subject to medical conditions)

The rationale is straightforward: your body and your brain have become acclimatised, over the years, to the items you put inside...you eat five bars of chocolate a day, your body and your brain are expecting chocolate...and if they don't get chocolate they will rebel, and cause you pain...

If you cut down from five bars to four for a week, your subconscious cravings are satisfied, so you can cut down to three bars...

The same is true for anything and everything you eat and drink...withdrawal leads to withdrawal symptoms, but cutting down demonstrates your will-power...

And finally, whatever the diet, whatever the reasons...ask yourself this: you have eaten/drunk this thing for years, you clearly enjoy it, do you really want to deny yourself this pleasure?

Here here. I've tried practically every diet on the planet and none of them have worked properly. Then over the past twelve months I've just tried to watch what I eat, eating less, cutting out 'junk' - but still enjoying some treats, and most importantly not following a diet as such. I've lost a great deal of weight so far and feel a lot better for it.

Low-carb to me seems unhealthy and dangerous on paper - but each to their own, if it works for you then go for it. Bookie raves about it but I personally wouldn't touch it.

At the end of the day you just need to do what feels right and works for you.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

That's because you're not supposed to eat the paper, silly! :rolleyes:
I'm insulted - you deign to make a witty riposte to his post, yet completely ignore mine...is this meant to imply that you actually agree with what I say?

If so, then it will be a first...

Alecto, Magaera et Tisiphone: Nemesis on Earth is come.

All advice and opinions given by Spiceskull are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Dear Lord, no. :razz:

Apply the same reasoning to heroin and see the whole thing fall to pieces. Yes, I know we are talking about food here, but you use the word "withdrawal" higher up, and this is where you hit it on the nail: Certain foods are addictive, and there is plenty of evidence to show that sugar is one of the most addictive substances, some studies comparing its effects (and dependance) to those of heroin.

I'm not saying your argument is wrong, I'm saying it doesn't work the same for all: It's like stopping to smoke, for some, cold turkey is the only way to go (that worked for me), for some the gradual weaning off is best.

HEALTH QUESTION & ANSWER SESSION

Q: I've heard that cardiovascular exercise can prolong life; is this true?

A: Your heart is only good for so many beats, and that's it

...Don't waste them on exercise .

Everything wears out eventually.

Speeding up your heart will not make you live longer

...That's like saying you can extend the life of your car by driving it faster. Want to live longer?

...Take a nap.

Q: Should I cut down on meat and eat more fruits and vegetables?

A: You must grasp logistical efficiencies.

What does a cow eat?

...Hay + corn.

And what are these?

...Vegetables.

So a steak is nothing more than an efficient mechanism of delivering vegetables to your system.

Need grain?

...Eat chicken.

Beef is also a good source of field grass (green leafy vegetable).

And a pork chop can give you 100% of your recommended daily allowance of vegetable products

Q: Should I reduce my alcohol intake?

A: No, not at all.

Wine is made from fruit.

Brandy is distilled wine, that means they take the water out of the fruity bit so you get even more of the goodness that way.

Beer is also made out of grain.

Bottoms up!

Q: How can I calculate my body/fat ratio?

A: Well, if you have a body and you have fat, your ratio is one to one.

If you have two bodies, your ratio is two to one, etc.

Q: What are some of the advantages of participating in a regular exercise program?

A: Can't think of a single one, sorry.

My philosophy is: No Pain...Good!

Q: Aren't fried foods bad for you?

A: You're not listening....

Foods are fried these days in vegetable oil.

In fact, they're permeated in it.

How could getting more vegetables be bad for you?

Q: Will sit-ups help prevent me from getting a little soft around the middle?

A: Definitely not!

When you exercise a muscle, it gets bigger.

You should only be doing sit-ups if you want a bigger stomach.

Q: Is chocolate bad for me?

A: Are you crazy?

HELLO Cocoa beans!

...Another vegetable.

It's the best feel-good food around! !

Q: Is swimming good for your figure?

A: If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me.

Q: Is getting in-shape important for my lifestyle?

A: Hey! 'Round' is a shape! !

Well, I hope this has cleared up any misconceptions you may have had about food and diets.

Finally try to remember:

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

...:D

Quite agree, Milky Bar Kid:

"You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred" Woody Allen

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

• 1 year later...

Wow am I late for this discussion - but I just joined the forum so let me in!

Just wanted to say that, if a low-carb diet is bad for us then how did mankind survive for millenia without wheat (i.e. bread, pasta), sugar, rice etc -- ie the things that you give up on the Dr Atkins diet?

Hmmmm for me the Atkins was not the answer as was every diet that is out there, and believe me I have tried them all....I have worn a piggy mask in every church hall and leisure centre within a twenty mile radius, had green days and red days, counted calories, weighed my food, traded points......all of it trying to alter what my genes have known all along that I am meant to be a fatty.

My rationalle now is that I try to excercise for at least half an hour three times a week and eat when I am hungry (really hungry)...it also helps that I have found a special man who loves me the way I am. (I know' sick making but none the less true) I havent lost loads of weight but I havent put any on either .... which according to most medical doctors is better for you than yo yo dieting.

I spent too many years of my life worrying about weight and dieting because all it did was focus my mind on food and how much I missed certain things which had the complete opposite effect as I would binge on things because I was going to have to do without them again come Monday!

Hope you all find the diets that work for you but they didnt work for me.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

Hey, an old thread come back to life!!! :lol:

In a timely fashion too, as after my recent health scares, it has become more than obvious that my body is sending distress signals!

So, climbing back on the LC wagon with difficulty (cos of the weight, you understand)...

Monx, part of the problem for me is that my special man loves me the way I am too, the more the better as far as he is concerned, which is NOT helping, because it's a constant battle between my body (which is not meant to be a fatty one and can't carry the extra weight at all) and my genes which are saying: "c'me oooon, what harm can it do?" when I see a baguette. :-|

I feel rather dismayed that Monx missed my point completely.

I wasn't advocating the Atkins diet for anyone.

I am pointing out that giving up products made of wheat and sugar cannot possibly be bad for us, because these are man-made products which did not exist for millenia.

Prior to that we lived on meat, fish, eggs, vegetables, berries and nuts.

Any diet that cuts out wheat and sugar is going to be fine for us, whether you call it paleolithic, atkins, caveman, etc

Another thing about the Atkins (note I'm talking aboput Atkins, not all low carb diets) is that he designed it for people who have to eat out a lot for work, meetings etc. It was designed so that they could still eat out frequently and eat the rich foods that you tend to find in restaurants without putting loads of excess weight on. He didn't design it for everyday, every meal eating.

Mungy Pup

I want to live in a world where chickens are free to cross the road without their intentions being questioned. :razz:

SussexLady, I didnt miss your point. I was merely pointing out on a personal note that dieting in any shape or form doesnt work for me.

I dont disagree that european early man lived on a diet of mostly protein but I believe that man is an opportunistic mammal and will adapt to most climates, living conditions and diets. I believe that as organised farming and static living took over from nomadic and hunter gatherer lifestyles our bodies adapted/evolved to accept carbohydrates. I also believe that very early in man's evolution most aboriginal tribes in Australia and the pacific rim have used carbohydrates in thier diets because protein was not always available. They dug up roots and root vegetables, starch, starch sugar and carbohydrate to keep them going until they could find protein.

I dont argue that for some people giving up wheat and sugar can be beneficial but dependant on your genetic make up. If it works for you and you get the results you want then that is really great.

All the Atkins did for me was make me windy, bloated and I suffered quite severe stomach cramps! Yes I did lose some weight but doubled it when due to the discomfort I stopped the diet.

Advice given is my opinion only, I am not a legal or financial expert (far from it).

The best 'diet' I ever went on... was the Tom Venuto Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle one... it meant I could eat 6 regular meals a day, I was never hungry and I lost loads of weight.

That coupled with having a nice long walk every day did it for me... but then we're all different. :)

Spam :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They say money talks......mine just keeps saying "Goodbye"