• Tweets

• for the sake of history, i've merged your old sadly failed charges reclaim court claim. have they ever sent you a default notice regarding this mortgage? dx  
    • I am financially at  point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel regarding my debts. I have one remaining and I am interested to see what my options could be. I have be in contact with the Citizen’s Advice Bureau and the National Debt Helpline, but their advice has been a little more generic (but still helpful). This debt is 12 years old and is now owing around £3k. It was a bank loan and has been passed to several creditors over the years. A payment plan has always been in place and is up to date. I get statements every 6 months. There has never been a CCJ. I have been sent the letters advising of change of ownership. Following my own review of my finances, I decided to contact the current creditor to see if they have a copy of the credit agreement. I regarded this as due diligence as the debt has been sold on several times. The creditor updated me several times saying they had requested the document from the original lender. After 12 months of this they wrote to me saying they had not received it but were still waiting and would send it once received. The last letter was over 6 months ago. I then submitted a freedom of information request to the current and original creditor. The original creditor supplied one, but the current one did not include one in the pack they sent me. I went back to them to ask specifically about this as it was what I requested in my request. They replied saying the debt was sold to them as one without the credit agreement and they did not have it. They have requested it above, so I believe that means they cannot obtain it either for the FOI request. I contacted the original creditor and exercised my ‘right to be forgotten’, under the Data Protection Act, which they have complied with. I also got my up to date credit file and this debt is not showing on it with the current creditor or any others. I contacted the creditor and made them an early settlement offer. They do have an early settlement offer in place on their portal, but I was advised to try to get a reduction via negotiation. I have not heard back from them yet, but I understand through a separate upheld compliant it has or will be refused. Due to this complaint and the creditor putting the account on hold I had stopped payments, and advised them of this. To date, they have not contacted me about resuming payments since the complaint is resolved, but it has only been a few weeks. I am annoyed that they were not honest with me about not having the credit agreement, because that is not being transparent and I understood they should tell you if they do not have it.   I have two questions (but am open to anything else anyone would like to add): 1) Based on the above, does anyone think this account enforceable? I do not think it is? 2) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? I could resume payments and then settle early. If the above had not happened, I may have just done that. Thank you for any help or input anyone can provide. It is appreciated.
    • The main thing is to stop shoplifting because it could be worse next time. If you think you have mental health issues that led you to do this, please go and have a chat with your GP. They won't judge you and should be able to get you help if you need it. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tilly V mortgage express repo

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5695 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Hun:)

Thanks thai, you want to start that bee buzzing, :D let me know if you need post code,either way im going to have a shortfall, so i may as well drop the price and

do my best to to sell it myself.Times ticking.

I went to your party remember :wink::D Can't miss that car in the drive.

I'll have a good look round later and see how your offer compares. I hope you gave the estate agent a rollocking for advertising your property as detached!

20th Jun 2008

• Subtitle changed: from '3 bedroom detached' to '3 bedroom terraced'

I went to your party remember :wink::D Can't miss that car in the drive.

:D

I'll have a good look round later and see how your offer compares. I hope you gave the estate agent a rollocking for advertising your property as detached!

yes i did don,t tell me they still havn't changed it :mad:

20th Jun 2008

• Subtitle changed: from '3 bedroom detached' to '3 bedroom terraced'

Cheers hun mwahhh xx

The shortfall is going to get bigger the more i drop the price

and this is now worrying the hell out me how i am going to pay it,

sheeesh what a mess :(

No point worrying about it - wait and see how much it is and then consider your options then.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

how do they go about "clawing" back any shortfall, as obviously it couldnt be paid all in one go :confused:

would an order be made to pay back a certain amount on a monthly basis :confused:

keep your chin up tills xxx;)

honey x

how do they go about "clawing" back any shortfall, as obviously it couldnt be paid all in one go :confused:

would an order be made to pay back a certain amount on a monthly basis :confused:

keep your chin up tills xxx;)

honey x

It's just another unsecured debt honey - and should be treated as such. There are options, bankruptcy being one of them, and if the amount is high, probably the most likely in Tilly's case. But at the moment the amount is not known and probably won't be for some months.

• Haha 1

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

The point I was trying to make is that, at present, liability for any decrease lies with Tills. Once possession is taken by ME, any depreciation will be their responsibility. You should make a note of the value (possibly get a valuation immediately prior to possession), and use this information to defend any claim for a shortfall. If they repossess and then fail to sell for 12 months, and the property halves in value, the depreciation within those 12 months must be their loss, surely, as they had possession whist it depreciated.

eg.

Property value at possession £160,000

Property value at sale £80,000

Loss AFTER repo £80,000

Where TITLE has been transferred, surely any depreciation/appreciation is the responsibility of the asset owner. Also, look out for a monetary judgement, they will have to return to Court to obtain this AFTER the sale. I suspect they will be very sneaky about obtaining your new address too.

Make sure ALL charges applied to the account are justified fully.

May need to check the T&C's on this

Edited by TideTurner
Clarification

The difference between what he asset raises and what Tilly owes is her responsibility, the only way to challenge the amount would be if ME sold the property way below market value with no reasonable explanation.

Just because ME take possesion of the property the debt doesnt stop at that day. Interest, legal fees etc will still be the responsibility of the borrower. This is about debt, not title to the property.

To simplify, if you sent your credit card back to the credit company you would still owe the amount borrowed and interest accruing, until you paid it off, even though you no longer have the card.

I understand this is a joint mortgage and in theory both parties could be chased for the next 12 years, but if it is appropriate for Tilly to go bankrupt, then she will be clear of the debt, and her husband will either have to do the same or make arrrangements to pay it off.

As I have said until the house is sold, by either Tilly or ME we do not now what the shortfall will be and it is pointless speculating or worrying until the final figures are known.

Thats made it clearer thanks giz and tide

One question, or maybe 2 , like you said Giz it is a joint mortgage, now if the other xpart of the joint mortgage :rolleyes: cant say it sticks in my throat :mad: is not working or likely too :mad: he will not be able to pay toward shortfall.i know he wont go bankrupt

so is that likely to leave me with total shortfall,

They will chase whoever looks likely to be able to pay, either one or both.

At some point he will have to face up to the reality, he can't ignore it, and as said before if it makes sense for you to bankrupt at the time, then he will be the only one they can chase. It will then be up to him to assess his options. With no assets, and little income, he would foolish not to consider BR. But that's all the future not now, and we don't know what that will bring.

The difference between what he asset raises and what Tilly owes is her responsibility, the only way to challenge the amount would be if ME sold the property way below market value with no reasonable explanation.

Just because ME take possesion of the property the debt doesnt stop at that day. Interest, legal fees etc will still be the responsibility of the borrower. This is about debt, not title to the property.

To simplify, if you sent your credit card back to the credit company you would still owe the amount borrowed and interest accruing, until you paid it off, even though you no longer have the card.

I understand this is a joint mortgage and in theory both parties could be chased for the next 12 years, but if it is appropriate for Tilly to go bankrupt, then she will be clear of the debt, and her husband will either have to do the same or make arrrangements to pay it off.

As I have said until the house is sold, by either Tilly or ME we do not now what the shortfall will be and it is pointless speculating or worrying until the final figures are known.

Gizmo, I am not disputing the shortfall, interest or legal charges. Unless there is a specific clause in the contract which covers shortfall following repossession, they will be responsible for any depreciation. Else, they could simply keep hold of the property for 12 months at Tillys expense.

However, if they do so, they will run the risk of not having the debt paid, and Tills going bankrupt.

They will be fully aware that there is a downturn in the market. They also have a duty to obtain the best possible price for the property. If they repossess now and the property remains empty, they are contributing to the depreciation without Tills receiving any benefit from the property.

The only way they can fulfil their duty in a depreciating market is to have a ready buyer, which is becoming more and more difficult.

By repossessing now they would deliberately cause damage, as they could not achieve the best price possible.

Times this by 1000 (they are only underwriters) and they have a serious problem.

No doubt the vultures will be circling waiting for the opportunity to increase their portfolio.

Agreed, the shortfall debt will not disappear, however, the interest will cease following any monetary judgement.

Tide

The house down the road from us was repossessed about three months ago and it is still for sale. So maybe they are hedging their bets - in which case if you can make some sort of payments you might buy a bit more time.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Methinks it is a responsibility equally shared between the OP + her husband gizmo111...:wink:

Agreed.

But the 12yrs in which the Mortgagae Lender has to recover any debt begins from when the OP last makes ANY acknowledgement of the debt...i.e. A £1 token payment, NOT from when the Possession Order was granted.

Given that each + EVERY payment to the Mortgage Lender re-starts the 12yr period + that a bankrupcy pettion is seeming more likey every day the OP's house (...which is now owned by the Mortgage Lender btw) remains unsold, ANY further payment by the OP would appear to be 'Dead Money'??...:confused:

Would it be MORE advantagous to the OP, if NO further payments on the Mortgage were made + the monies kept to go towards future Bond/Deposit/Rent payments on private rental property??...:confused:

If the answer to the above is YES, the longer the OP remains in the current property, until an Eviction Notice is served, the longer the OP is able to enjoy RENT FREE accomodation, IF bankrupcy is sought + obtained??...:confused:

Methinks an over simplification gizmo111.

A Credit Card is just a token + remains the property of the Credit Card Company even though it has been issued to the Card Holder.

A house becomes the property of the Mortgage Lender ONLY when a Possession Order is obtained.

Methinks that it IS important for the OP, that ALL options are explored for ALL scenarios + for EACH stage.

To clarify...

A Joint Mortgage is held by the OP + her husband.

The Mortgage is of a normal Repayment type.

Arrears have accrued on the Mortgage.

(...3months arrears allows the Mortgage Lender to instigate Court proceedings to recover possession btw)

The OP's husband has suffered a disabilitaing accident + is unlikely to be able to regain the level of income that he previously enjoyed through employment.

The OP alone can NOT afford to service the current Mortgage, let alone be in a position to make arrangements to enter into an agreement to 'catch up' with the arrears.

The above would signify the OP would either have to Re-mortgage or consider 'downsizing'.

The OP has stated that the level of her current Mortgage means that there is NO equity.

Therefore selling the house is the ONLY feasible option.

The Mortgage Lender has ALREADY obtained an intially undefended Possession Order.

IMHO, to try to have the Possession Order suspended serves NO purpose to the OP...

The OP would just be delaying the enevitable given her expected income levels.

The general housing market is in freefall + has yet to reach its bottom.

It would appear prudent, for the OP, to discharge her obligation to the debt asap.

It has been acknowledged that there going to be a shortfall regardless of who sells the OP's house.

If the Mortgage Lender does it, the shortfall would be expected to be ££zillions.

If the OP retains the right to be able to sell her house the shortfall COULD be limited.

If the shortfall is limited to such a minimal extent, the OP's financial position could be recovered, over a period of time, without the need to enter into bankrupcy.

Methinks the OP would be best advised by realistic options about what her 'cut-off' point should be.

If the OP were to enter into bankrupcy, ££zillions as opposed to ££thousands is neither here nor there IMHO.

The following questions also NEED to be addressed...

1/ The level of the OP's other debts + what type of debt they are.

2/ What level of repayment the OP realistically feels that she could comfortably afford to repay to recover her financial position if bankruptcy was NOT to be considered.

(...This enables the 'cut-off' point to be fixed)

3/ How bankrupcy could be successfully achieved.

4/ What being a bankrupt person would actually mean for the OP, during the period of bankruptcy.

5/ How + when the bankruptcy period could be ended.

6/ What the long term ramification of having been bankrupt would there be for the OP.

7/ Although NOT specifically mentioned by the OP, methinks that it is also important to consider the OP's husband's position...e.g. Would a JOINT bankruptcy application be a possible option?

...Or would a complete severance of financial ties asap be better for BOTH the OP + her husband + seperate applications made?

...:)

• Haha 1

I agree with MTM post to a certain extent but as for paying no money towards the arrears or shortfall it should be considered that if BR was not obtained then interest on the debt and interest on that interest would be accruing.That is why when they do eventually chase for the money the debt has increased so much.I do think this is unfair by the institutions and as a general rule they should be encouraging payments towards the shortfall asap if there is the income.

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Methinks it is a responsibility equally shared between the OP + her husband gizmo111...:wink:

He seems to have left and is not taking responsibility, forthe purposes of this now, we are just looking at Tillys options and future. His are discussed briefly above.

Agreed.

But the 12yrs in which the Mortgagae Lender has to recover any debt begins from when the OP last makes ANY acknowledgement of the debt...i.e. A £1 token payment, NOT from when the Possession Order was granted.

Any acknowledgement in writing also, but not really relevant as it is doubtful that they would leave it for 12 years to chase them for what looks is going to be a large sum.

Given that each + EVERY payment to the Mortgage Lender re-starts the 12yr period + that a bankrupcy pettion is seeming more likey every day the OP's house (...which is now owned by the Mortgage Lender btw) remains unsold, ANY further payment by the OP would appear to be 'Dead Money'??...:confused:

Would it be MORE advantagous to the OP, if NO further payments on the Mortgage were made + the monies kept to go towards future Bond/Deposit/Rent payments on private rental property??...:confused:

Yes - I thought that was what she had decided, a month or so ago.

If the answer to the above is YES, the longer the OP remains in the current property, until an Eviction Notice is served, the longer the OP is able to enjoy RENT FREE accomodation, IF bankrupcy is sought + obtained??...:confused:

Yes, also the bankruptcy fees need to be found and any savings until eviction can be used towards that.

Methinks an over simplification gizmo111.

A Credit Card is just a token + remains the property of the Credit Card Company even though it has been issued to the Card Holder.

A house becomes the property of the Mortgage Lender ONLY when a Possession Order is obtained.

It was meant to be very simple.

Methinks that it IS important for the OP, that ALL options are explored for ALL scenarios + for EACH stage.

To clarify...

A Joint Mortgage is held by the OP + her husband. Yes

The Mortgage is of a normal Repayment type. No - It is inerest only, with no investment vehicle to pay the capital at the end of the term.

Arrears have accrued on the Mortgage. Yes - quite high arrears now

(...3months arrears allows the Mortgage Lender to instigate Court proceedings to recover possession btw) Yes we know.

The OP's husband has suffered a disabilitaing accident + is unlikely to be able to regain the level of income that he previously enjoyed through employment.

They are seperated so - his income s irrelevant now.

The OP alone can NOT afford to service the current Mortgage, let alone be in a position to make arrangements to enter into an agreement to 'catch up' with the arrears.

The above would signify the OP would either have to Re-mortgage or consider 'downsizing'.

No equity - so a re-mortgage would not be possible, in the current climate sub prime lenders are going as low as 60% LTV. No equity to downsize and put a deposit on another property.

The OP has stated that the level of her current Mortgage means that there is NO equity.

Therefore selling the house is the ONLY feasible option.

The Mortgage Lender has ALREADY obtained an intially undefended Possession Order.

IMHO, to try to have the Possession Order suspended serves NO purpose to the OP...

The OP would just be delaying the enevitable given her expected income levels.

The general housing market is in freefall + has yet to reach its bottom.

It would appear prudent, for the OP, to discharge her obligation to the debt asap.

She cannot discharge her obligation to the debt, until she knows how much it is goig to be and then looks at her options.

It has been acknowledged that there going to be a shortfall regardless of who sells the OP's house.

If the Mortgage Lender does it, the shortfall would be expected to be ££zillions.

They still have to make best endeavours to accept a reasonable market price.

If the OP retains the right to be able to sell her house the shortfall COULD be limited.

If the shortfall is limited to such a minimal extent, the OP's financial position could be recovered, over a period of time, without the need to enter into bankrupcy.

At the moment if she is not paying then the arrears are accruing at a rate of around £1K per month. She then has to add on ME's costs, Estate Agent and other legal costs - at this point even she were to find a buyer today, it is likely she would be looking at somewhere in the region of £19k, calculated from dropping the price from the beginning of the thread where she said she had no equity.

Methinks the OP would be best advised by realistic options about what her 'cut-off' point should be.

If the OP were to enter into bankrupcy, ££zillions as opposed to ££thousands is neither here nor there IMHO.

The following questions also NEED to be addressed...

1/ The level of the OP's other debts + what type of debt they are.

2/ What level of repayment the OP realistically feels that she could comfortably afford to repay to recover her financial position if bankruptcy was NOT to be considered.

(...This enables the 'cut-off' point to be fixed)

3/ How bankrupcy could be successfully achieved.

You fill in forms, get a court date and attend the hearing, a relatively simple process. There are people here who could help her with the forms if she needed it.

4/ What being a bankrupt person would actually mean for the OP, during the period of bankruptcy.

5/ How + when the bankruptcy period could be ended.

Within a year she woul be discharged, depending on level of income a IPA may be in place for 3 years.

6/ What the long term ramification of having been bankrupt would there be for the OP.

She'll have problems getting a mortgage, and any form of credit it may impact when she wants to rent somewhere if the landlord/agent does a credit check. It will stay on CRA for 6 years (butthe repo would anyhow), she could not be a director of a company whilst bankrupt, and certain professions would bar her from working in their field - eg accountancy, solicitors.

But the plus side is it would be a fresh start and she will benefitfrom having her whole income (less any IPA) to budget.

7/ Although NOT specifically mentioned by the OP, methinks that it is also important to consider the OP's husband's position...e.g. Would a JOINT bankruptcy application be a possible option?

Joint bankruptcy is not something I have ever heard of, my understanding is it is an individual thing, but they could do it on the same day if he so wished.

...Or would a complete severance of financial ties asap be better for BOTH the OP + her husband + seperate applications made?

As above.

...:)

There is some more information here on bankruptcy.

12yrs in which the Mortgage Lender has to recover any debt begins from when the OP last makes ANY acknowledgement of the debt...i.e. A £1 token payment, NOT from when the Possession Order was granted.

Any acknowledgement in writing also, but not really relevant as it is doubtful that they would leave it for 12 years to chase them for what looks is going to be a large sum

???????????????????????????

U ARE kidding aren't U gizmo111??...:confused:

The WHOLE of the CAG website is riddled with Threads about peeps being chased by Original Creditors/DCA's etc, well into the period in which they are legally entitled to start Court Claim against....:eek::eek::-o

Indeed, janus even refers to this types of DELAY in her Post preceding yours...:rolleyes:

If a person has JUST been re-possessed, it will 99.99% of the time be cos of LACK of income.

It therefore makes MORE sense for the Creditor to wait as long as possible before attempting to regain the monies owed, surely?

A/ Interest etc could have accrued on the original outstanding balance, thus increasing the debt.

B/ The Debtor would hopefully have recovered from their financial setback + be back on their feet enough to repay the debt.

I myself am facing impending legal action on an 'alleged' Mortgage Shortfall from 11yrs ago.

From MY own personal experience, MY Mortgage Lender has had more than ample opportunity to take me to Court, but has chosen NOT to do so, so far...:cool:

• Haha 1