• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5028 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Being on benefits & having the bank nick most if not all of your money to pay their exorbitant charges Charges in many cases which have resulted in the debtor going overdrawn by ONLY a very few pence (66p in at least one case we know about)

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I am and if I paid all my charges then Id have no money to eat. And I wouldnt be able to pay half them off on the benefitsI am on.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

"No-one can make you feel inferior without your consent" - E. Roosevelt

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

All advice is offered without prejudice.

We are being sued for Libel. Please help us by donating

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gordan-brown/

To go back on topic

Please do ;)

are you guys aware that the FSA are proposing that hardship claims are being defined as £500 worth of charges during the year? I have read this across other forums. The topic is interrelated as the OFT test case was the cause of the FSA waiver in the first place.

If that's right, we all need to amend our claims to include contractual interest and compound contractual interest at that - once that's in there, the majority of them would be over £500, I would have thought?

Can anyone substantiate this view? Where does it come from and how do we use it?

Currently, mine is based on 8% interest, but I haven't bothered with it for almost a year now because of the stay situation.

with regards to hardship issue, can someone clarify if this is the right thread to continue on with this or should I start a new thread even though it is interrelated to The OFT test case?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I think maybe start a new thread. At some point, we'll need to wade through the 54 pages of this thread and split it between the stuff which is relevant to the case and which is not (I suspect that there's more mundane if not downright inane than germane in those 54 pages :-D) so that people who just want to know about the test case don't have to lose the will to live trying to work it all out, but maybe now would be a good time to start on that FSA stuff in a different thread, since I suspect it is going to stir up the debate. If you don't mind? :-)

;)loose the will to live.

can you post the link to the thread?

And do ya moderation things that you do.?

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein

Please support the pettition to remove Gordon Brown as he was not elected primeinister. He was elected Party Leader something completely different.

Josh, this is where I have put it, but will be subject to being moved http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/oft-test-case-updates/150075-fsa-hardship.html

....but I think this thread was talking about UTCCR 1999, there was an amendment in 2006 but it was a minor one about Water(cannot find the 2006 amendement to the regulation now that I want it).

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

will have a look for the amendment ive pulled something else off one of the forums thats interesting. I will post it in there to.

Thanks aequitas

Hello

Just a suggestion, but after wading through all the off topic stuff, it occurred to me that rather than splitting the thread, (or even if the thread is split) why don't we have stickys that only the moderators can change that provide up to date information.

An example is the list of dates that Bookworm provided earlier in the thread. Really, stuff like that should be stand alone, and not part of a complex thread like this.

Only a suggestion, so don't shoot me down.........please

RBS Account 1: Won

RBS Account 2: Won

Capital One: Won

Capital One (Wifes Card): Won

RBS Account 2, round 2: Won

RBS PPI: Won

In response to the 'hotel theory' that you have to pay for your room.

Quite right, however if the hotel charged everytime a person did not entered your room and prevented people entering your room and then charged you for the pleasure, you might get a bit poo'd off.

In response to the 'hotel theory' that you have to pay for your room.

Quite right, however if the hotel charged everytime a person did not entered your room and prevented people entering your room and then charged you for the pleasure, you might get a bit poo'd off.

They do part of that already. Plus they may charge for outsode phone use internet useage by the hour and maybe extra coffee or tea. Depending on what package you charge. (I used to own a travel agent) :rolleyes:anything that pays.

If you goto a B& B they may charge you for extra Fruite now lets get into that.;)

I might gain from your B&B experience, I only lose with my bank. They are clear cut winners what ever way you throw the dice.

I don't get Fruity loops, I get a bill.

I wouldn't mind if my oversights we're dealt with more understanding, however the present system favours the banks profit margin.

Check this - bank manager advises me not to take out an overdraft because it will cost £100 to set up, stupid me, listens, then works out I'm paying around £300 charges per year. Duhhh!! I was brought up to trust the bank, that's gone.

We all bestow upon banks and similar institutions they mantle of trust, much as we do to real official bodies, such as governments or councils.

After all, they handle all of our money, so they must be trustworthy ?

The fundamental flaw in this reasoning, is that they are not actually official bodies, nor accountable (to anyone but themselves) or reasonable (despite how they my represent themselves sometimes) and certainly not our friends.

They are not out to to help you, but instead they are just out to make profit.

They may appear to be helping you by offering you consolidation loans, or helping out with mortgages etc, but actually it is all just one big contrived plan to figure out and maximise all long term income from yourself.

Their trust is undeserved, diminished, and was actually unwarranted in the first place.

We all need to start looking at and questioning the small print, and asking whether we really want such megalomaniacal unelected corporations running our country and our lives.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

We all bestow upon banks and similar institutions they mantle of trust, much as we do to real official bodies, such as governments or councils.

After all, they handle all of our money, so they must be trustworthy ?

The fundamental flaw in this reasoning, is that they are not actually official bodies, nor accountable (to anyone but themselves) or reasonable (despite how they my represent themselves sometimes) and certainly not our friends.

They are not out to to help you, but instead they are just out to make profit.

They may appear to be helping you by offering you consolidation loans, or helping out with mortgages etc, but actually it is all just one big contrived plan to figure out and maximise all long term income from yourself.

Their trust is undeserved, diminished, and was actually unwarranted in the first place.

We all need to start looking at and questioning the small print, and asking whether we really want such megalomaniacal unelected corporations running our country and our lives.

Well said. :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

today or tomorrow apparently

Herewith latest news from the BBC :-

The High Court is hearing the latest stage of the case into the fairness of bank overdraft charges, by studying historic contracts.

Judge Mr Andrew Justice Smith will determine whether charges going back for years can be challenged.

The banks are set to appeal against his first ruling - that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) can assess whether fees are unfair - by the end of 2008.

The current hearing is expected to last for three days.

Significant case

The OFT has been seeking legal confirmation that it can rule if bank overdraft charges of up to £35 are fair or not.

Eight banks, which provide about 90% of the UK's current accounts, have been keen to oppose this to protect the estimated £3.5bn a year of income they generate from charging customers who go overdrawn without permission.

Under pressure from hundreds of thousands of customers suing them for the return of their overdraft charges in the county courts, banks agreed to a High Court test case in two stages.

The first was on the authority of the OFT under consumer contract regulations. The second will be on the fairness of the charges themselves, which the OFT has been investigating since April 2007.

Tens of thousands of claims for the refund of bank charges have been frozen in the county courts since the test case was agreed.

Looking back

The current High Court hearing relates to whether overdraft charges levied historically can be assessed for fairness by the OFT.

_44679103_highcourtbbc226.jpg The latest High Court hearing is expected to last for three days

The judge's initial decision - that the OFT did have the authority to consider fairness, which is being appealed against by the banks - only relates to current agreements between the banks and their customers.

The current hearing will consider fees from the banks' old terms and conditions for current accounts.

Meanwhile, the OFT is continuing its investigation into the fairness of overdraft fees and is expected to offer the banks its "preliminary views" by the end of July. The entire legal process is expected to last several more months.

Any other specific reports about what has happened today

I hear it was quite interesting?

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Jansus, I have heard that as well, but there are no press sources who have reported the case so far. PC have a report and I haven't checked MSE for their report on the days proceedings. No doubt there will be something on the news wires soon.

I can answer one out of two so far.

Mr Jonathan Crow (instructed by the Treasury Solicitor) for the Secretary of State as Intervenor

Wilson v. First county.

will get the other one now.