H.O.L Test case appeal. Judgement Declared. ***See Announcements***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barclays to cut penalty charges: BBC 29/05/08

BBC NEWS | Business | Barclays to cut penalty charges

Marc Gander, of the Consumer Action Group,

"It vindicates our stance that the charges have been wildly excessive," he said. "It shows that for years they have been milking their customers for nearly £30 more than they needed."

This suggests to me that certain banks are afraid that a competition investigation might be set off by the OFT's fairness assessment of the charges. after all, that has always been a possibility even if the charges are found lawful, the fact the banks have been pretty much charged identical amounts of money for a "service" with very substantial markups suggests that they may be breaching european competition law.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

Barclays to cut penalty charges: BBC 29/05/08

BBC NEWS | Business | Barclays to cut penalty charges

Marc Gander, of the Consumer Action Group,

"It vindicates our stance that the charges have been wildly excessive," he said. "It shows that for years they have been milking their customers for nearly £30 more than they needed."

I also like the quote by a Barclays spokeswoman:

"If customers continue to run their accounts as they are now, we will earn less money than before from overdraft charges," said a Barclays spokeswoman.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Wonder how long it will be before others follow suit:D

HTH (Hope This Helps) RDM2006

THE FORCE (OF CAG) IS WITH YOU

;)

We've Helped You To Claim - Now Help Us Remain

A live Site - Make a Donation

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

However, if you have found any advice you have been given helpful.

Why not show your gratitude And

Click the * on the post you found helpful.

lets all move to barclays and see how long it takes... move your slary into barclays and lets see...

Only direct action by the masses will work....

Look at all successes they have never come from negotiation!!!

on the old system you were charged at most 3 per day = £90.00 under the new system max is 5 per day which would be £40.00 is all i know (sounds easier to stay out of the red to me, but i will still wait and see)

;)

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Okay,

At the moment if an item is presented to Barclays that will take your account over its limit, and they allow the payment.

They charge a "Paid referral fee" of £30

Total cost = £30.

Under the new structure, you undertake an agreement that should an item be presented that would take you over your limit, then the bank would automatically give you a "buffer" facility of £250 for 5 days at a cost of £22. This facility (and thus charge) would I presume would be triggered by the presentation of said item. You would then also pay an £8 fee for the clearance of the item that triggered the buffer.

Total cost = £30

anyone spot the difference ?

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

...+ AFTER those 5 days have elapsed...what about the Charges then??...:confused:

Another £22.00 will be charged (But the buffer is optional) you could pay the £8.00 per unauth'd item but they will not be paid

;)

So in effect...ALL Barclays are offering is a two-tier micro-short term O/D facility...:o

Methinks that it is 'designed' confusion, similar to the Mobile Phone Tariffs + what, until recently, applied to Train Tickets also.

It deliberately dis-empowers those 'little peeps' who MAY not have the intellectual wherewithal to understand + serves to keep them within a financial 'bonded slavery' socio-economic system...:mad:

So in effect...ALL Barclays are offering is a two-tier micro-short term O/D facility...:o

Methinks that it is 'designed' confusion, similar to the Mobile Phone Tariffs + what, until recently, applied to Train Tickets also.

It deliberately dis-empowers those 'little peeps' who MAY not have the intellectual wherewithal to understand + serves to keep them within a financial 'bonded slavery' socio-economic system...:mad:

Sounds like an accurate description of my financial understanding MilkTrayMan :D:D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sounds like an accurate description of my financial understanding MilkTrayMan :D:D
U should have read some of my CIMA exemption modules coursework when I was at Uni...:cool:

...Typed after I'd been on a night out on the 'pop'...:lol:

...:D

U should have read some of my CIMA exemption modules coursework when I was at Uni...:cool:

...Typed after I'd been on a night out on the 'pop'...:lol:

...:D

Would I have understood them any better ? :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This suggests to me that certain banks are afraid that a competition investigation might be set off by the OFT's fairness assessment of the charges. after all, that has always been a possibility even if the charges are found lawful, the fact the banks have been pretty much charged identical amounts of money for a "service" with very substantial markups suggests that they may be breaching european competition law.

100% agree, Ive always thought that could happen and this could be an attempt to distance thereself from such an investiagtion, too late i feel.

6. How will I know what my Reserve Amount is?You will receive a letter informing you of your Reserve prior to it taking effect. Your Reserve Amount will appear on your monthly statement, and can be found by logging into Online Banking from 18 August 2008. We can also tell you what your Reserve amount is when you call us.

erum, bet mine is £22 to cover the Reserve Usage Fee!

Hi Guys,

As I understand it the 'buffer zone' Barclays is offering for 5 days at a cost of £22 is optional. You do not have to take it. You can instead just keep paying £8 for each bounced item (up to 5 a day), be it an unpaid direct debit/standing order or returned cheque etc. I have to say that is a stark improvement on £35 which is the current charge not £30. So depending on how many bounced items you have in a day, if it is just one bounced item your charge has been slashed from £35 to £8. The figure of £8 is still too high and we have a long way to go, but it does look like at long last one bank is beginning to move in the right direction. Let's not underestimate this hugley significant development.

TheyrCriminals

Edited by TheyrCriminals

The problem is though TheyrCriminals, that that £8 per day Charge is infinitum, whereas the £35 Charge was a one-off Charge.

For those peeps that can least afford to 'catch up' on their debt, this smaller, but more frequent amount, would VERY quickly snowball out of control + cause them to be in an even greater debt than what they would be under the majority of Banks current unlawful Penalty Charging systems...:(

Let us NOT forget those less fortunate than whatever financial position we may be in ourselves please.

...Cos no matter what, there are plenty of other peeps out there that we should be fighting for, whether they realise it or not.

...:)

MilkTrayMan,

You can not accrue an infinite amount of these charges in one day, 5 is the maximum, so what your saying is that if you do have 5 bounced items in one day you will be paying an extra £5 compared to the old system. The £35 was certainly not a one off charge either. Under Barclays old system you could have dozens of £35 unpaid item fees in any one month - I know I had them! Now I will only be charged £8 instead of £35 every time which is a dramatic reduction but I accept still not good enough. Besides how many of us have 5 bounced items per day every other day from our bank accounts?

In addition I am certainly not forgetting those who are in a less fortunate financial position than myself.

TheyrCriminals

Edited by TheyrCriminals

Unlike before there appears to be no restriction on how many times the SAME DD can be presented in 1 day meaning of course the consumer could be much worse off compared to before. Also we still have the arbitrarily enhanced interest charges

It's another case of smoke & mirrors methinks being used to confuse us peasants ......... & possibly even the OFT