• Tweets

• Let me start by saying I feel tremendous regret, shame and remorse. I have some debt and personal life has fallen apart over the last year which has caused me to be careless. Doesn’t make it okay I know. In a positive way, i will never take anything in life for granted ever again. I want to volunteer and go back to being a good person. I need some advice/reassurance on the below so I can move on better from this experience. A few days ago I was caught at sainsburys, I paid for part of the food (about £5) and didn’t pay for the other (about £8-10) at self checkout. when I got to the exit someone in plain clothes asked to see my receipt and bag and that they worked for mitie. I told him the receipt was in the store bin (true) and he said he followed me round and knows I didn’t pay for all of it. he very sternly but calmly said he just needs my name then I can leave with the shopping. I said i am in a bad day and can’t do this and was on the verge of breaking down. So I handed him the shopping and slowly walked out. No name given (I read elsewhere this is good and makes it unlikely to develop) and I have no way knowing if police contacted. I overthink a lot and I wonder if they can track me via debit card or nectar card on the transaction. I also wonder if they saw me do it last month and have been waiting for me. I know someone who works at their head office and terrified somehow it will get back. I’m also terrified of being recognised in the street.    I don’t know what’s going to happen. I see a lot in the news today about shoplifting 
    • Hi, I’ve just spotted an Arrangement to Pay marker (TransUnion) on my Barclays Mortgage account for 1 month in March 2022. I’ve spoken to Barclays Customer Service and Complaints about this and they’ve given me some background but have closed my complaint: Direct Debit for mortgage bounced in February and I didn’t notice this at the time. Realised there were arrears in March and called customer service straight away. Offered to pay half the arrears on the call with the other half of the arrears the following month. I prob suggested or accepted this as had done that many years previously when I was a poor student with no adverse consequences. Paid in accordance with this. Barclays call notes report they informed me credit reference agencies would be notified and I indicated I understood. However, complaints team couldn’t access the call because it was too old. They advised I could request a transcript through GDPR and complain via ombudsman if still unhappy - I’ll process the GDPR request this week. Whilst it may be factual that I entered into some kind of arrangement regarding the arrears, it wasn’t clear to me that they would be treating it and reporting it as a formal payment plan along with the potential consequences of this. At no point did I agree to or request to “reducing my contractual payments” - I paid my contractual amount for March and April with 50% more on top. I guess it’s likely they did say something vague about credit reference agencies and it’s also possible that I may have agreed without fully understanding it would be different to a late payment marker. I’m not 100% sure of the impact of the AP but I believe it did tighten up balance transfer and new card offers (Lloyds group in particular) even though the rest of my report is spotless and I have many years managing multiple high balance cards. Although it may have been less comfortable, I also believe I had the means to pay the balance in full if I’d realised the impact at the time. Finally, it feels like Ive been penalised for speaking to customer services directly rather than just upping my payments to cover the arrears. Historically, I was under the impression that Barclays mortgages weren’t even reporting arrears of less than 2-3 months as late payments - although this may have changed since the last time I was in arrears. I’ve had a browse through threads about AP markers and it seems like removal is unlikely if it’s deemed factual but it may be worthwhile escalating to FOS or ICO? Will update with transcript details once I’ve raised and received a response to my request. I suppose the upside of this is that I’ll be even more cautious about negative markers in the future. Thanks, J
    • Rwandans claim asylum in Oz. Rwandans arrive in Australia after perilous journey to claim asylum | Immigration and asylum | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Hunters reportedly find five Rwandan men in mangroves on Saibai Island, a known crocodile habitat  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can I get my money back? **SORTED**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5868 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son, is recovering from a brain haemorage 3 years ago.

He is getting better all the time, but is in reciept of DLA and living in secure accomodation, this does not mean he is locked up, but is free to come and go as he pleases, but the doors to the unit are kept locked and visitors must sign in and out. anyway to cut to the story, he obtained a passport to go on holiday with us shortly after coming out of hospital, then on our return, because of his "colourful " past he was approached for training by a charitable organisation to be trained as a "lecturer" to tour schools and youth clubs to tell his story with the view to encourage kids to keep clear of drugs and petty criminal activities, as one off the prerequisites to this training he was asked to provide proof\ of identity and took along his passport and birth certificate. because of his injuries, he has very little short term memory and forgets things almost as soon as he has done them. for this reason he reluctantly withdrew from the training as he was not able to recall the lectures or training given within a couple of days. to cut a long story short. when we next were going on holiday he was not able to find his passport. I enquired of the charity whether he had left his passport and birth certificate with them, after a couple of days they called back and said that they were not in possesion of them a nd that he must have lost them else where, the workers at his accomodation also made similar enquiries and recieved the sam answer, as we were going on hols again very soon after loss was discovered, we had to report the loss to the police, and attend a personal interview to obtain the replacement passport at a cost of £120 plus travel expenses.

Now almost a year down the road the charity have contacted my son to inform him that they are sending his passport and birth certificate to him by registered post, saying he left them with them when he attended the interview for selection for training. Now can I claim back the cost of the replacement passport from them, as they had obviously not taken sufficient care when they were asked , on several occasions to look for the documents. I realise that they are a charitable organisation, but the training they give is paid for by government grants and the salaries paid to the "volounteer lecturers" is on a par with school teachers.

My sons only income is DLA and he quite honestly does not have any prospects of ever finding a real job and £120 is a lot of money to him. all comments or advise will be more than welcome

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

Charity Group £200 compo for lost passport.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

All errors/typos etc are not my fault the blame lies with the spelling gremlins

<<<<<< If any of this has been helpful, PLEASE click my scales

This sounds like your battling your conscience because of their charitable status.

In this case the saying 'charity begins at home' comes to mind and your loss is as a direct result of an error by the charity.

Yes I think you should bill them, but how far you take it, only you can decide.

I don't think it would disadvantage them to repatriate a loss that they themselves caused.

Charity or not, they still need to take responsibility for their actions.

As it's financed directly by government grant, that will probably be withdrawn when the government realises that it is somewhere they can save a few pounds, just like they have a few thousand others.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after much soul searching and discusion with others involved with my son`s rehab I have decided to go for it. Here is the first draft of the letter that I have composed. as always comments, tips and suggestions are more than welcome.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to thank you for returning my son's ( Son of Stone 2) passport and other identity documents. Still missing is his birth certificate, which he kept in the same envelope with all his other documents. As you will know he suffered a serious brain injury and is recovering from this, but it has left him with many short term and long term memory problems, which is one of the reasons that he found that made it impossible to continue with the training course that you had enrolled him on.

Because of the “loss” of his passport myself and Son had considerable problems in obtaining a replacement one for our holidays in November last year. He had phoned you on several occasions to see if he had left his ID documents with you and had been told in each instance that “no we do not have them” and he was also told that he must then have lost them somewhere else. Because of this he had to report the passport lost to the Police, in order to get a “crime number” from them, and then obtain a replacement. Because of the rapidly approaching holiday I had to take a day off work to enable me to travel with him to the Liverpool Passport Office to attend a personal interview to obtain this, all this time he and my wife and I were were becoming more and more stressed with the prospect of him missing out on the holiday as he had no passport. We managed to get the replacement in time for the holiday ( three days to spare), but at some considerable cost to himself, he had to pay £97.00 for the passport, plus another £23.00 charge to ensure that he received the replacement in time for the holiday, It was delivered by special courier as I have stated earlier with just 3 days to spare.

Because of the extra expense of having to replace the passport our holiday was severely curtailed, as we had planned to go on several excursions, which he could now not afford as his savings were now over £170 short because of our trip to Liverpool, and as I only work part time and am also in receipt of pension credits was not able to help him with this financial loss.

Therefore I feel that in the very least, as a goodwill gesture, by yourselves he and I should be reimbursed the costs that were incurred by your failure to return his passport at the first time of asking. I have no wish to take this any further, but will lodge a claim at the small claims court for the reimbursement plus general damages for the stress and severe curtailment of our enjoyment of the holiday, which I am certain that the court would view favourably, and would reflect very badly on your status as a registered charity. As I say I have no wish to travel down this route, but will if he does not receive a satisfactory response to this request.

Yours Faithfully

Thanks for looking guys, stone

=======================================================================================================

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Halifax 2 N1 submitted 20/07/07 stayed 24/08/07 N244 Application filed 31/08/07 hearing set for 12/11/07 rescheduled for 29/01/2008. Application dismissed stay still in place.

HM revenue & Customs; demand for WTC overpayment £632.12. Disputed, their error. Did not have to repay.

All opinions expressed are my own and have no legal standing and no connection to CAG

Therefore I feel that in the very least, as a goodwill gesture, by yourselves he and I should be reimbursed the costs that were incurred by your failure to return his passport at the first time of asking. I have no wish to take this any further, but will ...
I don't think you should say "as a GOGW" in your letter. Whether they decide to use that as a reason for reimbursing you is up to them, but as far as you're concerned, they messed up, they should pay you back.

I would replace that part with something like: "Since the costs incurred were solely due to your failure to a) keep his documents safe b) return them compounded by c) denying that you had them when you in fact did, I would ask you for reimbursement of the costs incurred which are purely down to your negligence, in the sum of £ XXX and expect this amount to be reimbursed within 14 days. Failure to do so will result in us having to lodge..." and then segue into the last part about County court.

That's how what I would do anyway, don't let the charity status fool you, administrators and accountants (and lawyers) get paid there too and they also have to answer for their expenditure, so don't necessarily expect a cuddly answer. ;-)

• Haha 1

Hi Stone

Nice to catch up with you my friend!! You've had it tough.

I am sorry about your son, how is he. How are you and the family. My best thoughts are with you. When something happens to your child- well you know what I mean. He is the priority.

Follow Bookies advice.

Kind Regards, take care Kenny

TYVM Bookie, this is just the sort of help and advice I was looking for, I knew that at least one cagger would come up trumps for me, they always do. I was at first worried about the charitable status, but charity does begin at home! and the DID mess up and cause us a lot of grief, i dread to think how my son would have reacted if we had not been able to get him his replacement passport.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Thanks for the kind words Kenny, all family are well at present. son is 30 but due to injury, going on 16 or 16, he does not live with us, his choice, but we do see a lot of him

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

TYVM Bookie, this is just the sort of help and advice I was looking for, I knew that at least one cagger would come up trumps for me, they always do. I was at first worried about the charitable status, but charity does begin at home! and the DID mess up and cause us a lot of grief, i dread to think how my son would have reacted if we had not been able to get him his replacement passport.
You're very welcome.

My youngest child has Asperger's Syndrome, a form of autism, and I am far too aware of how stressful it is when things don't go the way he expects them to go.

Therefore I feel that since the costs were incurred solely due to your failure to,

a) to keep his documents safe,

b) return them promptly, compounded by, c) denying that you had them when in fact, you did.

I would ask you for reimbursement of the costs incurred which are purely down to your negligence, in the sum of £250.00 and expect this amount to be reimbursed within 14 days.

Failure to do so will leave us with no other choice but to lodge a claim at the small claims court for the reimbursement of the expenses incurred, plus general damages for the stress and severe curtailment of our enjoyment of the holiday, which I am certain that the court would view favourably to us, and would reflect badly on your status as a registered charity.

There is the offending paragraph re-worked. I think that should do is

a084.gif

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

• 3 weeks later...

Letter was sent off before I went of on short hol. According to Royal Mail website it was delivered on the 4 April, so if I hear nothing by the 18th, it`s off to court we go!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Hi Stone,

Just wonder if, after no reply to your 1st ltr, you should send an LBA saying "Here's a copy of my last unanswered ltr. If I do not receive a full refund within 14 days, I shall issue court proceedings without further notice."

Shows you're being reasonable and not rushing off to court prematurely.

Good luck with it. :)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Yeah thanks for that Slick, I will send LBA, pointing out the failure to respond to the original letter and give them a further 7 days to make some sort of reply.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Postman has just delivered a recorded delivery letter from charity. Nice apology for mislaid passport. last para reads

"I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the fact that your son did not have his passport at a time when he needed it as it appears to have been lost on our property. as a sign of goodwill I am able to offer a payment of £200 which I have enclosed"

My lad is more than happy to accept this, therefore a polite acceptance letter will be in the post tomorrow.

Another success down to CAG. Thanks again to all for the help and advice

• Haha 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Halifax Won £1180.00

NatWest Won £876.00

Excellent result, Stone.

Saves a lot of messin around, so well done to you and your son.:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)