Mackenzie hall and Meritforce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5971 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, first post so hi to everyone. My problem is i received a phone call from a firm called mackenzie hall in november 07, saying i owed a debt from northern rock for a bank loan in jan 2001 for 3,500. I did not acknowledge the debt as i have no idea where it came from and told them that, they said i would receive a letter with more details.

3 weeks passed then i received a letter just stating that a outstanding debt in my name for 3,500 was due payment, also i keep getting phone calls and messages left on my answer machine. After looking at some of the posts on this site i did not return any calls and binned the letters, the last one was for a direct debit agreement the cheek of them. I have now received a letter from a doorstep collections agency called meritforce advising me that i am getting a vist from them reguarding the above debt. I have read about this mackenzie hall and they sound a bit dogy should i just ignore them or is ther anything i can do to get them off my back. Also i checked my credit reference reports and found that mackenzie hall had searched my fles without my permission.

Any help would be appreciated.

If the debt was from 2001 and you haven't made any payments on it since then it is STATUTE BARRED and they should not be collecting on it. Write to the OFT and Trading Standards and state that Meritforce have done a credit search.

Meritforce's agents (usually via Scotcall) have as much right to ask for money from you as the pizza delivery person - ie unless they have the proper documentation and the debt isn't statute barred then you should pay, if the other tell them to go forth and not multiply.

Somebody else will be along with more advice soon as to what letter to send them telling them to vanish and not darken your doorstep with their false claims.

Hi Bluenose and welcome to CAG :)

If you have no knowledge of this alleged debt, then Mackenzie Hall may be purely on a “phishing” trip.

First of all, DO NOT speak to them on the ‘phone. Also, don’t “bin” any letters you receive from them as these can be used against them at a later date (for example, if you need to report them to Trading Standards).

I would suggest that you send them the following letter (from the library of Curlyben!):-

"You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply."

Edit to suit!

Keep us updated and post up any reply received so that we can help you further.

Good Luck!

I have asked for your thread to be moved to the Debt Collection Agency forum.

Bo :)

It is very unusual for either of these companies - who are of course very closely linked, they share the same directors - to respond to letters that don't have money in them.

Curly's letter is excellent and should be sent recorded delivery. You could add a line or two in it stating that as all discussion between you and them on this matter is to be in writing they should delete your telephone numbers from their systems. Ask for written confirmation within 7 days. Any further calls received after they sign for the letter can be regarded as harrassment and dealt with accordingly.

You could also ask them for details of their complaints procedure. I am not aware of them ever sending this out when requested so that gives you an added dimension when a complaint is made against them.