Genealogy Thread

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5993 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

As the old genealogy thread got "lost" I have been notified of a need to replace it.

So if you are an amateur genealogist and need some help getting through those brick walls, or if you have any tips, tricks or hints that you could share, or even just want to talk about stuff that is genealogy related, then this is the place to come to.

I don't think we have the same resources that Nick Barratt has, but we can give it a go.;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

I think he was a previous contributor, I forget his name now, mainly because I am senile ;)

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

damn right LOL I am getting it all together for them, I show my monkey pictures and tell him stories about the family, hopefully by the time I shove off the mortal coil, some of it will have stuck and he will continue, or perhaps even my daughter, but i am really enjoying it :D

I have decided that my great great grandfather isnt dead at all, he will be 163 years old now and his death isnt registered anywhere, so if anyone sees an extremely old man answering to the name of Tommy Ball in the Fleetwood/Blackpool area, can you give me a shout please lol

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

My mum has become somewhat of an expert on this sort of thing, so am more than willing to get her advice on any problems anyone is encountering - she's traced one side of the family back to pre-conquest Anglo Saxon royalty.

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

Blummin eck Tigs, how did she manage that? she must have had exceptional access to records and your family must have been very well connected in the first place :cool: should we be curtseying when we talk to you? :D

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Well, yes, actually Lula, you should.

Basically, her maiden name is very uncommon and is also a place name. By a lot of digging, she discovered that the name came from a Norman nobleman who came over in the conquest. for being so loyal etc. he got to marry one of the Anglo-Saxon royalty.

Interesting stuff, eh?

All help is merely my opinion only - please seek legal advice if you need to as I am only qualified in SEN law.

My father researched he family tree when he was able to. He found the easiest route was along what should be the hardest route, the maternal side all the way up. Even though my surname isn't common in Kent, he has had great difficulties going any further than the generation above the living relatives, even though we know they lived there

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Did he try going through the records of the church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (Mormons)?

Yes, it's a very good resource Tigs. I have found references to some of my ancestors in their records that I was unable to find anywhere else.

We have a Mormon church just 6 miles away from us, so i have been able to view their microfilm library as well as the online resource.

Els

Guest Macedonian
Great idea, Lula, count me in.

Actually, I had a PM from somebody who lectures in the subject and who might be persuaded to contribute ;)

Els

It was me that was in touch with Elsinore and I will be happy to help out if I can. I run short courses in Internet Genealogy for a University.

M

I'd love to talk to you about this. As me ma is tracing our family history

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

I think some of my work mates Gene Pools need Chlorinating. They are hard work today.

WARNING TO ALL

Please be aware of acting on advice given by PM .Anyone can make mistakes and if advice is given on the main forum people can see it to correct it ,if given privately then no one can see it to correct it. Please also be aware of giving your personal details to strangers

LOL I have heard of Tommy Balls shoe plae but not sure that he is connected although my gg grandfather was somewhat of an entrepreneur I am not sure that I stretched out as far as blackburn but you never know eh?

HC, if you need some help just give us a shout, start by writing down your parents names and place/date of birth and go back as far as you can then we can start some investigations.

Tigs - Ok Ma'am

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

*curtseys to tigs*

Any help and advice is offered in good faith, based solely on my own knowledge and on experience gathered from this site. I am not qualified to offer legal or financial advice, which you should seek from an expert before making any important decisions. My opinions are therefore offered without liability.

If I've been helpful, please click my scales. :-)

Guest Macedonian

Basically, her maiden name is very uncommon and is also a place name. By a lot of digging, she discovered that the name came from a Norman nobleman who came over in the conquest. for being so loyal etc. he got to marry one of the Anglo-Saxon royalty.

Interesting stuff, eh?

Tiglet

The claim of ancestors who came at the Conquest is actually a bit of an old chestnut, that usually has little validity.

The best current authority on family names is David Hey's book Family Names and Family History (London: Hambledon and London, 2000).

In this he points out how there are virtually no proven claims to links that far back. Normally, such claims are based upon a shared surname with an early Medieval family, though he explains clearly how many of the aristocratic male lines failed a long time ago, and where the names survive they generally relate to a later branch of a family, or even an unconnected one.

It is very common for people to assume a link with Medieval aristocrats based purely on a shared surname, but this is often just fancy (and popular with Americans). He also provides examples of 'aristocratic' surnames appearing in medieval returns, for people who clearly are not part of a great family. I have also discovered this in my own research.

This book is usually easy to get hold of and is well worth studying for the clarity it brings to this subject that is so often misunderstood.

Great idea, Lula, count me in.

Actually, I had a PM from somebody who lectures in the subject and who might be persuaded to contribute ;)

Els

i thought i felt my ears burning...............

there are or atleast were two ancestory.co.uk logins i gave over to the group some while back

i'll have a look to see if they are still active over the w/end

they both had full uk records access

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

great i've not even got the details to hand pls pm me with them.

it is poss 1 a/c is now defunct as the estab no longer exists, but i knew one was still going in sept.

if anyone has knowledge of the french eq of ancestory then please pm me, i have been stuck on one for 3yrs now, all i know is born 1834 in france. but the name is very unique [4 christain names].

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

if anyone has knowledge of the french eq of ancestory then please pm me, i have been stuck on one for 3yrs now, all i know is born 1834 in france. but the name is very unique [4 christain names].

Hi dx. I'm not sure there is an equivalent, so I would start here

If it ain't on there, then it probably doesn't exist.

Els