Interview under caution

kuwkuw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I was looking for some advice I was really stupid last year but hindsight is a great thing!

I was working as a carer on low income we moved into council accommodation didnt realise we would get help with housing benefit my housing officer told me to apply as we were on low income with three children

whilst awaiting claim that tookaround 2-3months to get sorted we built up rent arrears and were being threatened with eviction

to make things worse housing benefit said they weren't going to back date our claim the eviction letters and visits continued my partner was offered seasonal work for 6 months and stupidly I didnt tell housing benefit as I thought we could pay rent also to try andget arrears down and keep our hhouse

I knew I would have to pay overpayment back but didn't realise how serious the consequences needless to say im now terrified I have an interview under caution at the job centre as we were overpayed £2079.00

I have been repaying and now I have a better job I have uped payments to £100 per month I am so worried I will be prosecuted and get a criminal record for fraud! !

I just wanted to keep my house and to protect my children now I face a future in a dead end job with a criminal record what a great role model

im devastated as I said hindsight is a wonderful thing any advice or experience would be greatfully appreaciated

Edited by honeybee13
Paras.

Hi Kuwkuw

Welcome to CAG

I've started a new thread for you.

The guys will advise as soon as they are available. It is unlikely they will prosecute for £2000, they will want they money back with interest and penalties, but it does depend on quite a few things.

I would happily pay back double the money if it ment I didnt get a criminal record but I have read that it has to be under £2000 to be offered penalties and mine is £79.00 over that :(

Hi kuw

I would assume they would round it up. What your saying is they would prosecute even if it was £2000.01, it's not the case. It might be an idea to go through their calculations again, they do make errors.

I would happily pay back double the money if it ment I didnt get a criminal record but I have read that it has to be under £2000 to be offered penalties and mine is £79.00 over that :(

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Was the IUC conducted by DWP or council staff? If the overpayment is just HB /CTB then the councils policy for "sanctions" will be on their website. Some councils prosecute over £2,000 others have higher limits.

You could always ring the investigator dealing with your case and ask if a decision has been reached yet. At least you will then know what you are up against

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.