• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Barclaycard no CCA just t&c???

johno23
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5289 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have requested to Barclaycard that they supply me with a signed credit agreement.

All that they keep sending me is a copy of there current terms and conditions enclosed and also terms 7 conditions from July 2006.

Please can someone give me some advice on a letter that can be sent or what to do next.

Many Thanks for you advice!!

Edited by johno23
Removal of personal data

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Account Number:

Re; your recent reply to my request under section 77-79 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974

I note that you have replied to the above by sending your companies current Terms and conditions I must inform you that this is not sufficient to comply with the request and that your company is still in default under the act.

To clarify, just sending the Terms and Conditions is a breach of the Act and Regulations as, apart from the information that the Regulations provide that you may exclude, the copy must be a “true copy” of the agreement.

This breach of the agreement can be demonstrated as follows;

As you will know section 180(1) (b) authorises, “the omission from a copy of certain material from the original, or the inclusion of certain material in condensed form.” This refers to statutory instruments made under the heading Copies of document regulations and in this care in particular to SI 1983/1557.

Before leaving section 180 there are two other sections that should be remembered these are:

Section 2(2) (a) A duty imposed by any provision of this Act (except section 35) to supply a copy of any document is not satisfied unless the copy supplied is in the prescribed form and conforms to the prescribed requirements;

And more importantly

Section 2(b) A duty imposed by any provision of this Act (except section 35) to supply a copy of any document is not infringed by the omission of any material, or its inclusion in condensed form, if that is authorised by regulations.

You will see that this quite clearly states that whilst certain items may be left out of the copy document the rest of the document must be in the form and contain all items as prescribed by the regulations.

Turning to the regulations regarding what may be omitted from these copies these are contained with SI 1983/1557.

The regulations state:

(2) There may be omitted from any such copy-

(a) any information included in an executed agreement, security instrument or other document relating to the debtor, hirer or surety or included for the use of the creditor or owner only which is not required to be included therein by the Act or any Regulations thereunder as to the form and content of the document of which it is a copy;

(b) any signature box, signature or date of signature (other than, in the case of a copy of a cancelable executed agreement delivered to the debtor under section 63(1) of the Act, the date of signature by the debtor of an agreement to which section 68(b) of the Act applies);

It is quite clear what can be omitted from the copy document, this again asserts that all other details of the agreement should presented in form and content as required by the regulations.

The requirements of the Agreement regulations 1983/1553 are very explicit in describing the form and content of an agreement and this as I have demonstrated also applies to the copy of any such agreement with the above mentioned proviso.

Nowhere within these regulations does it state that part of the agreement can be presented on a separate document headed terms and conditions.

It does state that all terms and conditions should be within the agreement document and is explicit of the form in which it is presented.

I hope this explains why your reply was unacceptable I await a True copy of my agreement and would remind you again that whilst the request has not been complied with the dispute continues

Yours faithfully

Thanks for your quick reply.

i have printed off the letter and will send tomorrow recorded delivery.

Let's see what happens, will keep you posted.

Will just send T&C again.

Thanks

Johno

ok sent dispute letter recorded delivery on 24th March, had no response as yet.

Due to reading loads of posts on here regarding Barclaycard only sending terms & conditions, i am going to send off a SAR request tomorrow 31st recorded delivery.

If they do not produced a valid agreement after 40 days from this request they will be in serious default.

Will keep you all posted!

• 3 weeks later...

Key provisions of the Consumer Credit Act 2006 were brought into force on 6 April 2007. The following changes amend the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (the “Act”) and represent a significant reform to this regime.

New definition of “individual”. New lending to partnerships of more than 3 persons is excluded from regulation.

Abolition of automatic unenforceability. Courts will now have discretion to enforce all invalidly executed agreements; the restrictions on this discretion, which applied in respect of certain infringements have now been lifted.

Financial Ombudsman Service (“FOS”). A new consumer credit jurisdiction is added to FOS’ existing mandate. Customers will be entitled to refer complaints (relating to an event after 6 April 2007) to FOS after they have raised the matter with the licencee. Businesses must ensure they have an complaints handling policy and that it meets the minimum standards set out by the DISP Sourcebook, part of the Financial Service Authority’s Handbook. Businesses should also ensure that relevant changes are made to agreements/other documents to include a reference to FOS.

Unfair relationships. This test replaces the extortionate credit bargain provisions. These (significantly wider) provisions will apply to all new consumer lending (not just regulated agreements) except FSA regulated mortgage contracts. However, there will be a transitional period, until 6 April 2008, before application is extended to existing agreements.

Cheer cerb!

Still heard nothing 18 days in to my SAR request, apart from daily phone calls to home & work even though I have sent an harrassment letter.

WIll wait until 40 days up with a reminder letter and that they will not of adhered to my requests for a copy of the original credit agreement.

Also not happy that they are placing adverse history on my credit file.

If not sorted after 14 days from my request then again will be reporting them to the relevant authorities.

Gosh this site provides you will loads of confidence in dealing with the Creditors!!

Thanks!!

I contacted OFT and they said why do I want a CCA in the first place and I need to complain to the FOS not Trading Standards.

Is it as a do not acknowledge any debt to Barclaycard

Edited by johno23

It's a standard reply from some TS's, it is their responsibility to look into a complaint which is covered by the CCA 1974. As for them wanting to know why you want a copy of your CCA the answer is simple, it is your legal right to request a copy of a credit agreement at any time & if the TS's took the time to educate themselves they would know that. I'm afraid you'll just have to push them harder. :rolleyes:

ok I will have to send it by letter instead of contacting them by phone!

Will wait for the 40 days to be up so i can complain to them about non complaince and harrassment!

Are there any template letters for FOS & Trading standards.

Thanks

I have received my SAR request and have received no signed agreement or any terms & conditions what so ever.

I am going to write a final letter to inform them.

Do i put at the top of my letter I acknoledge no debt to your company.

Thanks

Johno....edit as required and send recorded...

Dear Sirs/Madam

Subject Access Request - Data Protection Act 1998

Dear Sir/Madam

1) You have failed to provide a complete list of transactions and charges.

2) You have provided no copy documents relating to any correspondence between myself and your company

3) You have provided no notes, or documents relating to instances of manual intervention.

4) You have provided no copies of default notices or agreements

I enclose a copy of the previous request that was made, which was signed on delivery to your company on (date)

Accordingly, I have to tell you that you have not yet complied with your obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998.

PLEASE NOTE that unless otherwise stated by yourselves and if the above documents are NOT provided, it will be CONFIRMED that you are unable to reproduce/provide in any way shape or form any copies of the above requested documents. You are reminded that you have a duty to inform me if you do not have the above documents. This is confirmed in High Court Law - Ezsias v Welsh Ministers - [2007] All ER (D) 65 (Dec)

You are reminded that you are obliged to supply all the above documents in line with the Information Commissioners Technial Guidance update (Dated August 2007)

You have until (date of the 40th day) to comply with this request.

Yours faithfully,

Ok

Just struggling with who to complain to and what for!

I know to complaing to OFT, Information Commisioner, FOS, Trading Standards but not sure what to complain to each.

Any advice!!

If they fail to provide the agreement within the 40 days allowed to supply the paperwork then you will need to submit a LETTER BEFORE ACTION giving them 7 days to comply or you will take them to court....

One example of a Subject Access Request Letter Before Action

Blackheath loans

One example of how to fill out the court forms when a company fail to produce your Subject Access Request.

Havinastella V Lloyds TSB

i spoke to Barclaycard tonight as i was sick of all the calls I was receiving even though i have sent off two harrassment letters.

I watched the video on the main page on this site where it showd someone speaking to a creditor and that gave me great confidence.

I started by asking there full name and stating that i was recoding the conversation and if they minded.

I informed her about all the letters that had been sent recorded delivery and that the account was in default and unerforceable until barclaycard could produce a valid agreement.

She asked me why i wanted the agreement and i informed her it was my legal right and she should no the procedures of the consumer credit act 1974.

She informed me that she would investigate and could not understand why i had not recieved it and all the letters i had written.

She appolgised and ensured no one would contact me again by phone and they would have a response to the investigation on the 10th May 09.

Get in there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok i have still received no signed credit agreement from a 77-79 request nor from a sar request.

Today i received a phonecall from Mercer's there collection agency.

They say they only need to provide terms & conditions under a 78 request.

Also why I wanted a signed credit agreement - as it was my legal right.

I asked why not produced it under SAR request and they replied they have a legal right not to produce a signed credit agreement.

They said whoever is informing me is giving me incorrect informtaion. Good coming from them eh!!

I said take me to court and put the phone down!!