glass's values anyone - ** SETTLED **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, my sons car was written off - several cars involved so proving liability will take a while i suspect. I expect admiral to make their offer middle of next week and would like to be prepared with what i should accept. Does anyone have access to the glass's guide that insurance companies use as the online guide seems to value too high.

He has a 2002 fiat punto active 1.2 8v 5 doors - pre accident it was in good condition. serviced the day it got wrote off!! 11 months m.o.t ,mileage is high at 110000. I would appreciate any help on this.

Edited by taylor72
adding info

If no one has a Glasses Guide use autotrader and search for the same vehicle. Print off three from anywhere in country (preferably highest price ones) as this is amount you would need to pay to replace vehicle on a like for like basis

do i need to take off a certain amount from what dealers are asking as they would have marked up a bit? Prices seem to range from 800 to 1200 and son paid 1000 a year ago. I was told on a rather abrupt forum yesterday i cannot ask for dealers price and would get 400-600 were pounds, they were quite visious so i thought i would ask a different forum.

do i need to take off a certain amount from what dealers are asking as they would have marked up a bit? Prices seem to range from 800 to 1200 and son paid 1000 a year ago. I was told on a rather abrupt forum yesterday i cannot ask for dealers price and would get 400-600 were pounds, they were quite visious so i thought i would ask a different forum.

Basically a dealer includes a profit margin to cover trading costs so there will be a mark up above a private sellers costs. However on cars in the 1K price bracket it shouldn't be that much.........

But look for private sellers first but if unable to find a exact match then dealers - you're entitled to a like for like replacement so if only at a dealer then a dealer it is

Don't accept any assessment of value until you check it out yourself.

Your insurer will try to get away with the minimum.

You are entitled to full replacement value of similar age and condition.

Do serious research on the internet and papers. Try to find a dozen or more cars which appear to fit the bill and take their average.

Then get ready for a battle with the insurers - but don't back down.

You will be within your rights.

I agree that for a car of that age and mileage, he won't get a dealers price. It will be up for negotiation, as to the amount the Insurers will settle for. I suspect they will offer £600 ish and if you then argue that the car was only bought a year ago for £1000, the Insurers increase to £800ish.

Don't forget that the Insurers will deduct the excess and if the full annual premium has not been paid, they may deduct the remaining premium. As you probably know Car Insurance is an annual contract and once a write off claim has been made, the Insurers may then cancel the policy, with the full remaining premium being due. Speak to Admiral about this, as many people don't realise how these things work and are disappointed.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

try parkers as well they do free valuations

http://www.parkers.co.uk

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Just let the insurer know that you're expect nothing more than glass's retail and get them to confirm that is what they have given you, ask them for a screen print of the guide ( there will be no dpa issues over this) to prove their point. You can research as much as you like but with car like that if you were to take it to the FOS you wouldn't get higher than retail. Insurers make their customers run around in circels with the whole examples issue, which in most cases can be resolved by giving the guide price.

• 3 weeks later...