style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4655 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm ashamed to say, I shoplifted, or attempted to shoplift from Boots today. It was an expensive electric razor, costing something like £250. I wanted to sell it to pay my rent. I got caught half way down the street, and I admitted to stealing almost instantly. They took me to a back office, and took my name and address, searched my bag and got me to sign a few documents. This is the first time something like this has happened to me. I didn't really read on what I was signing, but they said they weren't going to contact the police, but I have been banned from all Boots stores for a year, and will be contacted by the RLP by post. The security guard was very friendly and down to earth, getting my permission before searching my bag and wallet.

I have a few questions that I looked for the answers for in other threads, but could not find.

1. Are the RLP envelopes marked obviously? I would prefer it if my housemates did not find out about this. I am very embarrassed.

2. I am currently unemployed and looking for work. I cannot even afford my rent at the moment. I have read that it is possible to persuade the RLP to end their requests for money, if your financial position is already in bad shape. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

3. The security guard said that because it was a high value item, the charge would be quite high, something like 200/250 pounds. However, as they have retrieved the item, and it is still sealed and available to resell, should it be this high? I guess I should wait for the dreaded letter.

I really don't want to tell anyone about this, but how do I avoid going into Boots with my girlfriend/friends/family?

Hi tony

Welcome to CAG

The guys will be happy to advise as soon as they are available.

1. Are the RLPlink3.gif envelopes marked obviously? I would prefer it if my housemates did not find out about this. I am very embarrassed.

I'm not sure, but I very much doubt they have RLP on them, people would be reluctant to open them.

2. I am currently unemployed and looking for work. I cannot even afford my rent at the moment. I have read that it is possible to persuade the RLP to end their requests for money, if your financial position is already in bad shape. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

If you need money as a matter of urgency, why don't you apply for a Crisis Loan providing you qualify:-

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/On_a_low_income/DG_10018856

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017683

3. The security guard said that because it was a high value item, the charge would be quite high, something like 200/250 pounds. However, as they have retrieved the item, and it is still sealed and available to resell, should it be this high? I guess I should wait for the dreaded letter.

Well,they got the item back, so that shouldn't come into it. Have a read of the stickies, the CAB report, be aware that Boots are attempting to bring an action against someone to court.

The guys won't judge, just advise, it's happened don't punish yourself, keep positive.

From my recent experience (I'm a postie) the envelopes are franked at the top with the words "retail loss prevention" in small red writing.

Not something you'd spot unless you were looking for it, but it is there.

(whenever I see one I have to resist the urge to tell the recipient to use it as bog roll)

I cant imagine for a moment that this will stick. Rule of thumb, it doesnt make a blind bit of difference how high the value is. especially since the item was recovered untouched, and they can still sell it. They tend to try and tack on charges for time involved, evidence gathering etc. I would take the viewpoint of theyve got it back, deal with it.

The security guard shouldnt have said a word about the RLP, its got nowt to do with him. I think that boots are using AFC group for their security at the mo and they boots RLP procedures dont involve them other than at the most initial stage.

Second, personally, Id have told the security to go whistle when they asked to search you. Ive been in security for a V long time, and its always best to leave that sort of thing down to the police.

Your financial situation is something that can be looked at by the benefit centre, I would suggest you look into housing/council tax benefit etc to help with your rent, its a reasonably longwinded process, so best bet is to crack on with it as soon as you can.

I wouldnt worry too much about the RLP process, the odds of them making it stick are massively in your favour, in fact I cant think of a single case off hand that theyve won without scaring people into paying before court etc.

Take control of your situation proactively, I know its easy to say that typing on a keyboard, but every one on here will help you however we can, Ive learnt that from the things Ive needed help with and things can get better so much quicker once you really attack the things that need sorting.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.

I didn't really want them to search me, but also, didn't want for the police to get involved. I thought it would be better to just get out of there as soon as they'd let me. I think they were just trying to be helpful about RLP, they were surprisingly open about it all. I'll let everyone know when I've received the letter, and detail numbers etc.

I'd rather not ignore it though, I don't want any more letters than necessary. Perhaps calling them detailing my situation would help? Or not?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I got a letter from RLP and I was also worried about the envelope. It included RLP in the address watermark but it's tiny and kind of a faded light grey colour. You wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it.... my mum's boyfriend got the post this morning and didn't notice at all.

Hi everyone,

Again, thanks for the helpful replies. I received the letter on Saturday. I guess they change the watermarks regularly, as mine was stamped with not a large, but clearly visible red mark, which read Retail Loss Prevention. Luckily, I was the first to check the post.

Would it be helpful for me to type out the full letter? It wouldn't cause me much bother to do so.

In summary, the letter asks me to pay £187.50. I feel this is far too much for any loss I caused.

What is my next best step?

HiFrom personal experience I wouldignore it, I neve replied to any of their letters and certainly never sent any money. They will eventually go away after a few more threatening letters. Don't worry! I know it's easier said than done.

Hi, I've had 2 letters from them so far. The first one stating the amount they want me to pay (not gonna happen) and the second telling me I'm required to pay or respond, whether it's to defend my case or ask for more time etc. I replied via e-mail, asking for a full breakdown of the costs and how they justify these costs. No reply yet, but I'll let you know when I get one.

I certainly have no intention of paying them, although it can get worrying when you start getting threatening letters from them. From what I've heard, though, they are empty threats. I've been researching into it a LOT since I got my first letter, and all the threads I've read basically say to ignore them. But I haven't really found many people who have ignored them and said from personal experience how long it has taken them to stop sending letters, so I can't really help you out on that one. Although I can say that they themselves have no legal rights to make you pay and their clients are unlikely to take further action as they could get prosecuted for blackmail and harassment.