What is law regarding separation of co-habiting partners

Guest TractorGirl
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

She wants to do things fair, he gave her £15k depo to help her out and some type of contract was written up but he has taken her copy

Then she needs to get a lawyer to request a copy of the contract.

She could sell her place with no major comeback

Without a copy of the contract this is only an assumption.

he cannot sell their house without her agreement....So i think she must be in a stronger position

Again this is only an assumption, without the contract you don't know this. He put the majority of money into the purchase of this property (the one where they both lived). This will not be split 50/50 as they are not married.

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

She owns the flat outright & unless there was an agreement to pay interest then all he would be entitled to is his original 15K & no more

As for the jointly owned property as has been stated it depends on how it is owned whether jointly or as tenants in common.

If jointly he may be able to recover his intial investment & divide the rest 50/50 If tenants in common & in eother case it's not recorded as otherwise then it will be assumed they own 50% each

She owns the flat outright & unless there was an agreement to pay interest then all he would be entitled to is his original 15K & no more

As for the jointly owned property as has been stated it depends on how it is owned whether jointly or as tenants in common.

If jointly he may be able to recover his intial investment & divide the rest 50/50 If tenants in common & in either case it's not recorded as otherwise then it will be assumed they own 50% each

Just to add to my last post, a friend of mine split from his partner a couple of years ago. As he was the one who had put down a sizeable deposit on the property (several 10's of thousands) and had a higher income and contributed more to everything, she was legally entitled to nothing from the sale of the house as they were not married.

This is quite a complicated part of the law and I am not saying that this will be the case in this matter, but your friend does need to seek proper legal advice ASAP.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If jointly he may be able to recover his intial investment & divide the rest 50/50 If tenants in common & in eother case it's not recorded as otherwise then it will be assumed they own 50% each

That's what I thought as well JonCris....

I think in this case though, a lot might rest in what's in this contract that he's holding on to though. Can your friend remember what it was that she agreed to ?

Just to add to my last post, a friend of mine split from his partner a couple of years ago. As he was the one who had put down a sizeable deposit on the property (several 10's of thousands) and had a higher income and contributed more to everything, she was legally entitled to nothing from the sale of the house as they were not married.

Rory, to have come away with absolutely nothing.... she can't have been on the deeds. That's my understanding of it anyway.

:)

He had a very good lawyer. Female I might add.

If the OC's friend is registered at the LR & the mortgage is in joint names then she will be entited to 50%. She may even be entitled to 50% of the total sum which includes his deposit.

As for her SOLE property he is NOT entitled to a single penny over & above the 15K unless she claims the 15K was a gift then he's got a fight on his hands proving otherwise

• Haha 1

If the OC's friend is registered at the LR & the mortgage is in joint names then she will be entited to 50%. She may even be entitled to 50% of the total sum which includes his deposit.

As for her SOLE property he is NOT entitled to a single penny over & above the 15K unless she claims the 15K was a gift then he's got a fight on his hands proving otherwise

Relief !! Not that I'm in a similar situation or anything.... but you never know what life's going to throw back at you ! :rolleyes:

Depending on what was in this missing contract and what is registered.

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

Depending on what was in this missing contract and what is registered.

Exactly. Without a copy of the contract it is all speculation.

Depends on the circumstances and what agreements have been entered into. My partner is selling her house, her father paid the deposit - but is entitled to receive back a %age of the value of the house, not just the deposit which was paid at the time. If there is a similar agreement then he could be entitled to more than the £15k - e.g. £15k was put towards house valued at £50k, house now worth £100k he would be entitled to £30k back.

All this is assuming deeds are not in joint names - the details available from the OP are somewhat sketchy.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Depends on the circumstances and what agreements have been entered into. My partner is selling her house, her father paid the deposit - but is entitled to receive back a %age of the value of the house, not just the deposit which was paid at the time. If there is a similar agreement then he could be entitled to more than the £15k - e.g. £15k was put towards house valued at £50k, house now worth £100k he would be entitled to £30k back.

Your partner's father wouldn't be entitled to half though... which is what OP was asking.

All this is assuming deeds are not in joint names - the details available from the OP are somewhat sketchy.

The deeds were not joint on this one.... but they were joint on the one that's being sold. The partner already sold his place previously and put down a sizeable deposit on the joint property, whereas she put in nothing.... and now the joint property is being sold. She still has her own property seperate to this however, which is in her sole name only.

All this aside.... a lot hinges on this contract that he has. :cool:

:)

Your partner's father wouldn't be entitled to half though... which is what OP was asking.

No, she wasn't asking anything at all about my partner's father. It all depends on what agreement has been entered into - he may be entitled to £15k, he may be entitled to X%, he may be entitled to 50% - it really all depends on the agreement.

The deeds were not joint on this one

Really? You seem to know more than the OP.

somekind of contract is written up !! Not sure of the contents

We don't know what's been signed by whom, and whether this is linked to whose names are on the deeds.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

If both parties are on the mortgage then they must both be registered at the LR as owners & if they aren't then the mortgage would not have been granted to both of them.

But it doesn't mean that they have to be registered on th deeds 50/50

Consumer Health Forums - where you can discuss any health or relationship matters.

only if tenants in common -if beneficial then courts deem as a starting point that the intention is to give each party 50% interest regardless of who put larger deposit or paid higher mortgage.

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Agreed Josie & if the deed/contract entered into at the time of purchase by both parties is considerably prejudicial to one of those parties the court could set any such agreement aside.

This would most certainly apply if either one of those parties didn't seek legal advice before signing

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TractorGirl

Hi All

I would like to say thank-you to most people on this thread. This is an update on the situation

They have decided to go 50/50 on everything including the contents. He has already requested the TV - What a Loser !!!

The joint house is sold and she is moving into her place later in the year. She will come out with about £20k in her pocket

This is the best situation for all involved but at least my mate has her own property to move into, whereas he has to move back to Mummy's whilst he finds a place......I know this sounds bitchy, but he has made his bed and now he's gotta lie in it.

Oh and FYI, this contract still hasn't appeared

And hopefully she has now learned the lesson to get contracts written up always read them and bloody keep a copy

xx

• 2 months later...
Guest TractorGirl

The Joint house sale was complete last Tuesday and she has now moved into her place with £15k in her pocket but most of this is now being swallowed up by DIY jobbies.......But she is really happy

Thanks once again

xx