Orange Broadband/PC World Offer - PC World

bebetrois
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am hoping someone here can help me. I reserved a laptop at my PCWorld store which happened to be an exdisplay. When the sales assistant run it through the computer it came up at a considerately lower price. The Sales Assistant said they would honour that price when I collect.

My letter has arrived and I took it to the same PCWorld store to collect. To my horror, the Store Manager said he would not honour that price (whilst laughing in my face) as it was a Reconditioned price and not an Ex Display price. To make things worse, the original sales assistant completely denied saying I would get it for that price (probably so he wouldn't get into trouble).

Is this the kind of tactics that PCWorld use to get people through the door?

I didn't get him to write it down as I thought it was a done deal (I thought you could still trust some people), but they seemed to know I wanted it for that price before I even mentioned it.

I am so angry, does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on and who I need to speak to??

Kind Regards,

bebeboouk

Were there any witnesses to the conversation?

Without any proof you will have a struggle on your hands.

Your only chance is to write a strong letter of complaint to the PC world head office and hope for a gesture of good-will.

Regards, Rooster.

If this has been useful to you, please click on the scales at bottom left of post. Thanks.

Advice & opinions of Rooster-UK are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Please use your own judgment.

-------------------------------------------------------

LOOK! Free CAG Toolbar.

Follow link for more information.

------------------------------------------------------

Please donate,

Help us to help others.

LINKS....

Forum Rules.

FAQs....

Reconditioned models are for the purposes of products that were purchased online and have been returned under the long distance selling regulations within 14 days. These items will then be checked to ensure they are complete, returned to factory settings and then sold on again. Because returned items cannot be sold as new, they are placed under a special reconditioned price, however, as all these products will be collected and returned to the distribution warehouse these prices are only available for home delivery from the website and the reconditioned products will not find their way into store. Indeed, if the assistant was to check stock on the reconditioned code, he would find that his store had none and what a store doesn't have in stock, they cannot sell, for obvious reasons.

The product that was on display was not reconditioned and any discount is at the discretion of the store manager. Without any significant proof that the salesperson said he would sell a display item at such a discount, I would expect you're going to encounter problems.

But hey, you're getting at least £300 off the original price anyway. The deal can't be all that bad.

• 4 weeks later...

If you go to

[edited]they supply some re con machines....... at discounted prices.

In store they do not supply them so they dont have to honor prices because its not a stock item.

The sales staff use [edited] to get discount for the customers becuase alot of the time the website is cheaper than the store so its an easy way to match prices etc... They use the collect @ store system. sounds like the sales advisor has seen your machine cheaper and not read the (re-con) bit of the title, its any easy mistake to make, but im sure if it was a NON RE CON item they could of honored the price because they stock the item.

As to the manager laughing obviously he needs retraining in customer service or report him to the GENERAL STORE MANAGER

RIndeed, if the assistant was to check stock on the reconditioned code, he would find that his store had none and what a store doesn't have in stock, they cannot sell, for obvious reasons.

I realise that this is a PCWorld thread, but Curry's is all part of the same group and they will sell what they don't have in stock.

We went to buy a laptop for daughter going to uni. Not in stock, but took the money and issued a form for collection 2 days later.

• 2 months later...

The software they use in store is called Eclipse. What has happened here is, he has searched for the product, e.g. COMPAQ F560 or whatever else they had on the Orange deal at the time.

The reconditioned models do appear on the system because somewhere they have them in stock.

It sounds like the sales guy has made a genuine mistake, and spotted that at the cheaper price, without noticing it was in fact the reconditioned one. If that's the case, he will have said he'll honour it thinking that the price had gone down.

I'm not saying he was right in doing so; the mistake was careless, but unfortunately there is nothing anyone can do about that.

although you have had a reservation under the orange deal unless you have some paper quote or price ticket or anything else prices are subject to change.

this is why advertised deals have to state stuff like "offer available till 25/12/07"

even quotes these days have to state a valid for 15days on it.

vocal quotes have no validity apart from that day, time. sorry but you will have to really fight your case to get any result..

the only thing i can think of is if you know the exact price to the penny then you can ask the manager out of all the pennies in the world, how would you know the reconditioned price unless the sales guy told you it.. then they might have to admit you have been told a price.