Debt Collectors and Debt Collection Agencies

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5942 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, this is my 1st thread so I guess this makes me a newbie. I've been visiting CAG for some time now.

To the matter at hand, I've been receiving phone calls from Alliance International Credit for a few weeks now as advised by my wife who happened to be home on a few occassions. I was home one evening 2 weeks ago when the phone rang (witheld number of course), converstation went along the lines of

Caller: "Can I speak to such and such person".

Me: "Speaking" (As you do)

Caller: "My name is Mr McConnochie (Scottish accent), can I ask you some security questions"

Me: "No you can't, what's this about?"

McC: It's about your Associates (or something to that effect) A/C

Me: I've never had one of those, I don't know what you're talking about

MC: "Yes you do", Answer some security questions and I'll tell you what's it's about"

Me: I don't know what you're on about and I promptly hung up.

Seconds later he calls back and I promptly tell him in no uncertain terms my number's ex-directory so he shouldn't have it in the first instance, I also advise him this is harrassment, he responded "It is Not", I then told him to write me if he needed to contact me and never to call my house again, then hung up.

I then receive a card on Satruday the 21st requesting immediate payment of £431.44 for something I have no idea of, I've never owned an Associates card.

He left me a v-mail today at 14:14, can anyone point me in the right direction of the Telephone Harrassment letter as I'm geting quite miffed with this character, I intend to send it to every office AIC has.

I'l be contacting TS, Consumer Direct and anyone who'll listen tomorrow, oh yes and another thing, I intend to be waiting outside Maplins when they open tomorrow..

Is there anything else I should be doing?? Arrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!!

First NEVER talk to these "people" on the phone as they will try and get you to agree to anythin.

Before you even think about making any sort of acknowledgement or payment to a DCA you MUST ensure that they have the LEGAL right to collect the debt.

This is achieved by requesting a copy of the Signed, Excuted Credit Agreement via a Consumer Credit Act (CCA) request.

There is a template letter to be found here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-debt/20758-creditors-dcas-letter-templates.html

Letter N.

Is it important to start the letter:

I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY in Big Bold letters.

It is best to send this request via recorded/special delivery as there are some inportant deadlines to observe.

After 12 WORKING days the "debt" is in default and stays that way until the request is complied with.

If a FURTHER month passes then the DCA has commited a summary criminal offence and the matter should be refered to Trading Standards for action.

I hope this clarifies some things.

Be VERY careful whose advice you listen too

Hey CB, everyone, sent letters off this evening SPD so they should have them by Fri, shame RMail don't give you the details of whoever signs for the package anymore.

I'll start counting 12 days from Monday although I stated in the CCA request, I'll take the notice as received by Friday, deadline by my reckoning is 22/08, is this accurate??

Watch this space.........

• 5 weeks later...

Ok, so their time expired on 22/08, it's now the 31st and I'm yet to hear from them, I guess I should be reporting them to the OFT right about now, does anyone have any suggestions on what my next move should be??

You don't need to do anything. 12 working days from receipt they're in default, in another month they'll have committed an offence at which point you should complain to the OFT.

If you'd been paying them, now's the time you could stop. But in your case you're probably best off sitting back and letting them make the next move - or they might just accept their mistake and back off.

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

andrew0101

You do not always get a signiture on the track and trace site for recorded delivery. It can say it is delivered from a particular office on a said day but there will not alway be any electronic POD as most of the big companies receive hundreds of letters by recorded delivery daily and do not sign for them individualy, they block sign a delivery sheet, One signiture for numerous R/C numbers. The only way to get POD is to contact Royal Mail 5 days after delivery and they will send you a photocopy of the bulk delivery sheet.

Barclaycard and Mercers are the worst to get POD from as even the bulk sheet will have nothing but a swigle on it so still no proof who signed for it. Royal Mail say this practice is acceptable, but there terms and conditions say otherwise. I am in the process of trying to obtain POD from the for numerous creditor and DCA's. To be sure of a signiture you have to send special delivery. All theses must be signed individualy, but it is of course much more expensive.

Dumpling

As for the TPA (telephone preference service) I have been registered with them for over 6 months, still receive 5-10 calls a days from DCA's, dispite the telephone harrassment letters and complaints to TS and Oftel.

If they have your number they will ring, no matter what guidelines it breaches. They don't care, all they want is your money and will do and tell you anything. and I mean anything to get their greedy little paws on it.

If you are still getting calls from them despite the harrassment letter, try sending this one...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-1038615.html

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 5 months later...

Is anyone out there have problems with BT? I have had 5 different account numbers, for the same line, been cut off twice and now a new number - spent over 4 hours intermitantly waitig for them to pick up the phone - only to be told that its not their department and put on to another department, oign eround the houses 7 times

now hitting a brick wall. Allt he bills have been paid

Is anyone out there have problems with BT? I have had 5 different account numbers, for the same line, been cut off twice and now a new number - spent over 4 hours intermitantly waiting for them to pick up the phone - only to be told that its not their department and put on to another department, going around the houses 7 times

now hitting a brick wall. All the bills have been paid