• Tweets

• Post #415 you said you were unable to sell it yourself. Earlier I believe you said there had been expressions of interest, but only if the buyer could acquire the freehold title. I wonder if the situation with the existing freeholders is such that the property is really unattractive, in ways possibly not obvious to someone who also has an interest in and acts for the freeholders.
    • i dont think the reason why the defendant lost the case means anything at all in that case. it was a classic judge lottery example.
    • Hello, I will try to outline everything clearly. I am a British citizen and I live in Luxembourg (I think this may be relevant for potential claims). I hired a car from Heathrow in March for a 3-day visit to family in the UK. I was "upgraded" to an EV (Polestar 2). I had a 250-mile journey to my family's address. Upon attempting to charge the vehicle, there was a red error message on the dashboard, saying "Charging error". I attempted to charge at roughly 10 different locations and got the same error message. Sometimes there was also an error message on the charging station screen. The Hertz 0800 assistance/breakdown number provided on the set of keys did not work with non-UK mobiles. I googled and found a bunch of other numbers, none of which were normal geographical ones, and none of which worked from my Luxembourg mobile. It was getting late and I was very short on charge. Also, there was no USB socket in the car, so my phone ran out of battery, so I was unable to look for further help online. It became clear that I would not reach my destination (rural Devon), so I had no choice but to find a roadside hotel in Exeter and then go to the nearest Hertz branch the following day on my remaining 10 miles of charge. Of course, as soon as the Hertz employee in Exeter plugged it into their own charger, the charging worked immediately. I have driven EVs before, I know how to charge them, and it definitely did not work at about 10 different chargers between London and Exeter. I took photos on each occasion. Luckily they had another vehicle available and transferred me onto it. It was an identical Polestar 2 to the original car. 2 minutes down the road, to test it, I went to a charger and it worked immediately. I also charged with zero issues at 2 other chargers before returning the vehicle. I think this shows that it was a charging fault with the first car and not my inability to do it properly. I wrote to Hertz, sending the hotel, dinner, breakfast and hotel parking receipt and asking for a refund of these expenses caused by the charging failure in the original car. They replied saying they "could not issue a refund" and they issued me with a voucher for 50 US dollars to use within the next year. Obviously I have no real proof that the charging didn't work. My guess is they will say that the photos don't prove that I was charging correctly, just that it shows an error message and a picture of a charger plugged into a car, without being able to see the detail. Could you advise whether I have a case to go further? I am not after a refund or compensation, I just want my £200 back that I had to spend on expenses. I think I have two possibilities (or maybe one - see below). It looks like the UK is still part of the European Consumer Centre scheme:  File a complaint with ECC Luxembourg | ECC-Net digital forms ECCWEBFORMS.EU   Would this be a good point to start from? Alternatively, the gov.uk money claims service. But the big caveat is you need a "postal address in the UK". In practice, do I have to have my primary residence in the UK, or can I use e.g. a family member's address, presumably just as an address for service, where they can forward me any relevant mail? Do they check that the claimant genuinely lives in the UK? "Postal address" is not the same as "Residence" - anyone can get a postal address in the UK without living there. But I don't want to cheat the system or have a claim denied because of it. TIA for any help!  
    • Sars request sent on 16th March and also sent a complaint separately to Studio. Have received no response. Both letters were received and signed for.  I was also told by the financial ombudsman that studio were investigating but I've also had no response to that either.  The only thing Studio have sent me is a default notice.  Any ideas of what I can do from here please 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hsbc

DAB 40
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6436 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone. Just joined. I have decided to reclaim charges from HSBC who have been charging me from £60.00 to £125.00 per month for the last year or so. It all started when I went a few pounds over my agreed overdraft limit. I am on a tight budget and just couldn't catch up and I think its what you call the snowball effect. I practice law and am highly embarrassed it never occurred to me that these charges may not be lawful. I had always felt they were far too high and not fair but recovery through the Court NO! In my defence I think it is true that we are all made to feel really guilty and bad if we incurr charges - it is the Banks' way of 'keeping us in line'. If anyone has ever asked to have charges refunded (I have many times) you will know you are made to feel like an incompetent idiot who really should get their finances in order which ( when you ask for a refund) generally you are. The answer has always been no and the offer of a loan which you can't afford - more interest for them. Anyway having looked at the case law on this I think it is a win win situation for consumers. Have sent DPA request - will keep you posted.

PS. If anyone has any questions of a legal nature I will do my best to help. Don't be put off by the fact this initially 'went over my head' I am good at my job and will contibute as much as I can to this site. I have most of the tools needed to research the law etc so please ask if anything new comes up and i'll be glad to help if I can.

Hi Dab,

Welcome and good luck. WHen you get your statements through (you know you can access them online too don't you), have a look for the spreadsheet in the library section. Just tap in the amount, date and description of each charge and it tots it all up for you. It also calculates the interest you can claim should your claim end up in court proceedings.

OC

Thanks very much for that I will try and get my statements online as from reading this site it appears if will give the Bank less time to try and wear me down! No chance of that.

Do you have telephone banking? You should be able to register on-line for on-line banking using your telephone banking security code.

Go to www.hsbc.co.uk click online banking and register.

You'll need your sort code, acc no, date of birth and telephone banking security code. If you don't have a security code you'll have to request it to be set up I think.

OC

• Confused 1

Hi everyone. I started out with a Data Protection Act request for statements (because stupidly I didn't read all the FAQ's first). :p Luckily, some kind person told me I could register for internet banking and get my statements on line. :) I did this and wrote to HSBC with a request for payment on 21st June. My charges were £3,000.00 over the past six years. I did adapt the letter and have given them seven days to reply (it's the lawyer in me!). I sent the original to my branch and copies to head office and customer services. The address for the head office is:-

David Lewis

HSBC Bank PLC

Group Headquarters,

Level 31,

8, Canada Square,

London,

E14 5HQ.

The address for customer services is :-

HSBC Bank PLC

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre,

Millshaw Park Lane,

Leeds,

LS11 OPP.

It is my opinion that if you send the original to branch with a copy to the head office and customer service centre then you are covered all ways round as to having properly served the Bank. This is only my opinion and does not constitute legal advice.

I intend to keep a note of the time spent preparing my case as it may be possible to claim costs even in the small claims court as they have the power to award costs if the other party acts unreasonably and I intend to argue that they have if they don't turn up to the hearing. In my experience a Judge will generally accept that argument. I will claim for my time spent preparing. ( You can (as a litigant in person) claim up to two thirds of what a lawyer would claim) so I will be using Lawyer rates £90.00 to £150.00 per hour. Best way is to choose a rate and knock off a third before arriving at the rate you will use (see why later) :confused: Litigant in person rates are in fact approx £9.00 per hour at present (outside London). The Judge can reduce anything claimed to this rate but I will try for the higher rate first. In addition the Court can award for loss of earnings for staying away from work or home and any reasonable expenses i.e. Travel costs. If it does get to court I think it is worth preparing a simple schedule with date/work carried out/time taken and amount claimed/ expenses item etc and loss of earnings with Total cost for the Judge (they like things made clear for them - and it earns you brownie points). Just take it with you on the day and give it to the usher before the hearing (keep a copy for your own reference in court). Like I say this is only my opinion and not legal advice and Courts vary from area to area. All the Judge can do is reduce the amount you've claimed so try it. Remember this is if the Bank don't turn up (which reading this forum seems to be the case).

Anyway getting a bit ahead of myself there as waiting for reply to preliminary request first. Will keep everyone posted. :)

that sounds absolutely spot on advice, but no-one has actually ended up in court yet (hsbc anyway), are you hoping to be the first?

• Confused 1

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Threads merged - please stick to one thread

@Dab40

I suggest you have a read of the materials available to you in this forum. There is no need to send 3 copies of a letter to 3 different departments, just deal wth 1 department, and if you get to the stage of starting legal proceedings ensure you use the Registered Office address.

These claims are being settled out of court so it is unlikely your claim will be heard in court. If HSBC do decide that you are 'the one' that they will go all the way and defend in court - there is no way that they wouldn't turn up for the hearing so you wouldn't be able to claim they were unreasonable by not showing up.

Also, Small Claims works on a 'no costs' basis - this is for your benefit as well as the Defendant - if you lost you wouldn't be faced with a legal bill from HSBC running into thousands or tens of thousands of pounds. A judge would only award costs to be paid in very exceptional circumstances, and even then there is a set rate of how much you can claim - there is no way you could claim £150 per hour.

Finally, you state that the banks are not turning up for these Court hearings. If you could point me to one example of where a bank has acknowledged a claim, entered a defence, got a court date but not bothered turning up for it, I would be very interested to see this.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have obviously not been very clear. It is not necessary for there to be a final hearing for something to be dealt with by the Court. As soon as a summons has been issued the matter is being dealt with by the Court. I have read that many people have had to issue proceedings (ie a summons) in order to recover charges. Hence the draft particulars of claim in the library and the interest calculator. Any time spent on preparing a case can be recovered in small claims where the other party has acted unreasonably. 1CPR27.14 (2) (d). There are many stages in a claim before the final hearing. I have read the bank have failed to acknowledge claims and or failed to turn up at the allocation hearing. Any costs incurred in time spent i.e preparation of summons and application for Judgement in default could therefore be claimed. Unreasonable is defined in part at 1/CPR/27.14/1 and includes failure to comply with directions or orders, failure to comply with pre-action protocols and interestingly also includes deliberately mis-stating the value of a claim so as to cause it to be allocated to the small claims track instead of the fast track in order to avoid the consequent liability in costs !!

The amount that can be claimed is governed by 1/CPR/48.6 and 48.6/1. The hourly rate that can be claimed is set by a practice direction of the court and is currently around £9. per hour. However it is possible to claim much more than this but it is complicated to explain and you would need to refer to the rules above.

In addition the court can also award court fees, expenses and loss of earnings. 1CPR27.14 (3). So if a person had to have time off work to attend an allocation hearing or a directions appointment they could reasonably request these costs back.

Finally I do not want to be "the one" as you put it. I just want to recover my money as quickly as possible and go. However if I can help anyone else in the process I will do so.

I do not intend the above to be used as legal advice. This is not my field of law. Is just represents my opinion on how to use the court procedure. I thought any costs recovered could be donated to this site along with the suggested donation of 5% of the claim.

it wasnt meant to be offensive, thats not the way i operate

HSBC- £4995, settled payment in full

if you found this post helpful, please click the scales (top right of post), ta ;)

if you're not sure what to do?, Read the FAQ's

Unsure about what to claim, or confused about overdraft interest? Charges explanation

Hi. NO. I didn't think you were offensive at all. You've been a real help. That long message was in reply to barracad. I think I just got a bit carried away with my previous message and didn't explain things clearly enough. I clicked your scales (as it were:) ) yesterday. Thanks for the encouragement.

Hi glad about that. :D Anyway i've just sent off 2nd letter which I got from another site and adapted. I'll try and post it later if I can - not too good with technical side of this!!:oops: I'll let you know how i get on. Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Hi. An update! Proceedings issued by me on 31st August. No reply in post on 14th September so applied for Judgement. When I got home there was a letter from the Court. An acknowledgement stating an intention to defend. Is this a stalling tactic ?:shock::)

yep not long now prob get a letter from dg solicitors asking for a copy of the breakdown of charges then a full offer good luck

WHEN THE WORLD GETS IN MY FACE I SAY HAVE A NICE DAY :lol:

MY SUCCESSESS

HSBC £5,735.35 :D

MUM IN LAW £2112.00 WIN FROM HALIFAX :grin:

MUM £3580.00 WIN FROM NatWest :grin:

AUNTIE 2 NATWEST WINS £1865.00 AND £2541.00

EQUITA BAILIFFS £293.00 REFUND :grin:

MBNA £871.16 WON WITH CI AT 24.49%

WELCOME FINANCE CHARGES £600 APPROX didnt even need letter lol

CAP ONE WON WITH CI AT 29.9% £994.26

CLAIMS ON THE GO AT MO

mbna ppi

NatWest cc at mcol (ppi next)

welcome ppi

first response charges

IF I HAVE HELPED IN ANY WAY HIT THE SCALES IN BOTTOM LEFT CORNER THANK YOU ;)

Hi. Yes. Think I got carried away trying to be too helpful! Why does no one trust a Lawyer! I'm at stage where I can request Judgement on 15th but understand I may get an offer of payment before then which is a bit confusing because I have no intention of taking anything less than what i've claimed and I want my costs. Do you agree the Bank's are abusing the Court process :-x by filing acknowledgements and then no defence! I won't hold you to your opinion by the way (LOL):lol: it's just a relief to have a legal brain to pick.