StanleyMorgan vs Halifax - Offer received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6173 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've sent off the initial SAR letter to Halifax to the address on the statements, 51 Berkeley Street, and it's been returned by the branch manager with a fairly plain letterhead stating that they like to deal with this on an informal basis and my £10 is enclosed.

There's no signature and they state that the statements will be sent within 10 working days.

Questions:

Is this a standard letter?

Don't they have to give a list of charges rather than just statements?

Doesn't the letter have to be signed?

Are they trying something on?

Sorry for the questions, it just looks iffy

Hi stanley,

1. Yes, fairly standard, looks like they've done you a favour for 'free'!

2. Yes, you'll probably be receiving statements as they are not likely to give you a list of charges themselves. It's better this way because you can go through your statements with a fine toothcomb (or highlighter!) so you won't miss anything....would you trust a list from the bank?!

3. They are obviously so busy that they are churning out letters and forgetting to sign them. It's nothing to worry about...wait for the statements, giving them ten days, and see what happens. If you don't receive them, you can call to chase again. Ultimately, the S.A.R. allows them 40 days to comply, so they can take up to 40 days to fulfil this request.

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

• 2 weeks later...

After requesting all statements via a SAR, Halifax have now sent only statements up to 2004, twice!

What should be the next step - complaint to the ICO, or further letters to Halifax?

The lady I'm corresponding with seems nice enough, but I'm wondering if there is an unwritten policy of not sending statements which show the most charges.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Same thing has happened to me - and I am still awaiting information.

Both have just seen on my bank account five minutes ago that they had also charged me twice. Chancers! Wasn't long getting back on the phone demanding my £5 back I can tell you.

12-03-07 Halifax Received £1800

05-06-07 Halifax II Small Claim Served for £2503

Capital One - Won £768

Halifax Credit Card - Won £756

Don't play their games !! They know exactly what they are doing !!

Now go away, and read the thread I posted earlier......your getting no pudding until you've done your homework !!!!

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Don't play their games !! They know exactly what they are doing !!

Now go away, and read the thread I posted earlier......your getting no pudding until you've done your homework !!!!

Nevermind. Worked it out. Too much Lemsip today. :???:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, after a couple of false starts and dozens of duplicate statements, we begin the claim process.

I've sent the LBA claiming £851.00 of charges and received back a standard template letter from Customer Relations in Leeds stating that they have 8 weeks according to the FSA and may get back to me within 4 weeks if there's a problem.

I've read here that I stick to the 14 day timeline instead of the 8 week one given by Halifax, is this correct?

Did you send the prelim first?

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

In that case then, yes just carry on.

Ignore that letter.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

• 2 months later...

Just had a chat with a friend and he says that a report to the FOS might work better than court action, and be cheaper. His sister has done something similar, but she's on hols at the moment so I can't ask her.

Any comments? :confused:

Are you in scotland?

F&Q's... Read here

Then it is probably easier to file at court.

If you have filed your prelim and lba then you can file.

F&Q's... Read here

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got a letter offering a sum of £550 for the F&F of £1000 I'm claiming. I'm going to 'phone them this week and reject, but has anyone had any success in getting them to agree to the whole amount over the 'phone?

I'm happy to take them to court, but if I can avoid it and go to the pub instead then I'm a happy man.:p

Is there any tips for a telephone chat?

Hi check out my thread and Dusary.

However, never accept anything unless you have it in writing. Likewise, you should only accept the offer as part settlement in writing, outling that you will only accept 100% of all charges plus 8% interest.

As soon as you say this it will go on to another team for reassessment, which will take time for them to look at- even although its at the far end of their big room. Its during that time that you might (might, might, might) get lucky- depending on how you look at it. You will have a contact- Customer Service Manager. All of them are however there to reduce the amount they pay out- at claimants expense. They will use whatever tactics they can. That is why it is difficult to deal with them on the phone so you need to be very comfortable with it before taking it on.

I used the fact that they never gave me any statements for 3 of 4 claims. However, I should have had all the statements as the advice on this site says. I am now in the process of writing to them accepting it as a partial settlement and will take it from there.

My claim ended up this way through default and it is not a recommended approach for different reasons. If you follow CAG advice you will get there athough it might take a bit of time.

Dummie's Guide to CAG: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/welcome-consumer-forums/107001-how-do-i-dummies.html

Me v BofS: Charges: £13,048.10 #2a/c Statements from 08/01/01 received. Charges:£5,156.39 Information Commissioner's Office informed June 12th who wrote to BoS, June 22nd for non-compliance. #1a/c: passed to BoS Senior Review Team. Discovered 2 further a/cs, and 3 Loan accounts. "Goodwill offer" of £7,424.23 06/07/07. Accepted (partial repayment). 20/07/07 Top-up payments of £2,558.10 & £1,154.00

£11,136.33 paid back thus far.

New claim issued: 9/07/2007 for 3rd account: £500+ PRESSING ON!

Don't forget - when you win - a donation to CAG would be welcome!

If anything I've said has remotely been of any assistance, then please tip my scales!