• Tweets

• just to be clear here..... the DVLA do not send letters if a drivers licence address differs from any car's V5C that shows the same driver as it's registered keeper.
    • sorry she is a private individual, the cars are parking on her land. she can clamp the cars. only firms were outlawed from doing it bazza. thats what the victims of people dumping cars on their drives near airports did and they didn't not get prosecuted.    
    • The DVLA keeps two records of you. One as a driver and one for your car. If they differ you might find out in around a month when they will send you a reminder as well as to your other half for their car. If you receive nothing then you can be fairly sure that you were tailgating though wouldn't explain why they didn't pick up your car on one of drive past their cameras. However even if you do get a PCN later then your situation will not change. The current PCN does not comply with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4 which is the main law that covers private parking. It doesn't comply for two reasons. 1. Section 9 [2][a] states  (2)The notice must— (a)specify the vehicle, the relevant land on which it was parked and the period of parking to which the notice relates; The PCN states 47 minutes which are the arrival and departure times not the time you were actually parked. if you subtract the time you took to drive from the entrance. look for a parking place  park in it perhaps having to manoeuvre a couple of times to fit within the lines and unload the children reloading the children getting seat belts on  driving to the exit stopping for cars pedestrians on the way you may well find that the actual time you were parked was quite likely to be around ten minutes over the required time.  Motorists are allowed a MINIMUM of ten minutes Grace period [something that the rogues in the parking industry conveniently forget-the word minimum] . So it could be that you did not overstay. 2] Sectio9 [2][f]  (ii)the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver, the creditor will (if all the applicable conditions under this Schedule are met) have the right to recover from the keeper so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Your PCN does not include the words in brackets and in 2a the Act included the word "must". Another fail. What those failures mean is that MET cannot transfer the liability to pay the charge from the driver to the keeper. Only the driver is now liable which is why we recommend our members not to appeal. It is so easy to reveal who was driving by saying "when I parked the car" than "when the driver parked the car".  As long as they don't know who was driving they have little chance of winning in court. This is partly because Courts do not accept that the driver and the keeper are the same person. And because anyone with a valid motor insurance policy is able to drive your cars. It is a shame that you are too far away to get photos of the car park signage. It is often poor and quite often the parking rogues lose in Court on their poor signage alone. I hope hat you can now relax and not panic about the PCN. You will receive many letters from Met, their unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors threatening you with ever higher amounts of money. The poor dears have never read the Act which states quite clearly that the maximum sum that can be charged is the amount on the signs. The Act has only been in force for 12 years so it may take a  few more years for the penny to drop.  You can safely ignore everything they send you unless or until they send you a Letter of Claim. Just come back to us if they do send one of those love letters to you and we will advise on a snotty letter to send them. In the meantime go on and enjoy your life. Continue reading other threads and if you do get any worrying letters let us know. 
    • Hopefully the ANPR cameras didn't pick up the two vehicles, but I don't think you're out of the woods just yet. MET's "work" consists of sending out hundreds of these invoices every week so yours might be a few days behind your partner's. There is also the matter of Royal Mail.  I once sold two second-hand books to someone on eBay.  Weirdly the cost of sending them separately was less than the cost of sending them in one parcel.  So to save a few bob I sent them seperately.  One turned up the next day.  One arrived after four days.  They were  sent from the same post office at the same time! But let's hope I'm being too pessimistic. Please update us of any developments.
    • New version after LFI's superb analysis of the contract. Sorry, but you need to redo the numbering of the paras and of the exhibits in the right order after all the damage I've caused! Defendant's WS - version 4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Cabot/hudsons claimform - old barclaycard debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5528 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"That does not mean that the debtor ceases to be liable to repay the indebtedness in accordance with the terms of the agreement; nor does it mean that the debtor’s failure to meet his or her obligations under the agreement should no longer be recorded by credit reference agencies. What it means is that, until the creditor provides the information, the creditor cannot enforce the debt by issuing legal proceedings or by repossessing or realising any security."

What obligations are there exactly when they don't show any agreement whatsoever?

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but it does also mean they commit a criminal offense if the prescribed period of 12 days +2 +1 month expires and it is not produced.

Can you point me to the law which quotes these timescales Sarah?

Thanks again to everyone for good advice.

MoonHawk:

Well that's the big question - no agreement - no debt, your obligations are what is in the agreement - so without it no interest can be determined or anything else, you might even chance asking for all your payments back - but that might be pushing your luck a bit. They can always prove you have had use of the money from statements so one would vere on the side of caution as to how far you push.

Good thread, that djdave one :D

If you want copies of any of my OFT documents to back up your case, just ask. Not sure how helpful they'd be, but I'm happy to scan and email :)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Good thread, that djdave one :D

If you want copies of any of my OFT documents to back up your case, just ask. Not sure how helpful they'd be, but I'm happy to scan and email :)

If there any that you think may be relevant and you have the time to scan them, It would be most welcome.

MoonHawk:

Well that's the big question - no agreement - no debt, your obligations are what is in the agreement - so without it no interest can be determined or anything else, you might even chance asking for all your payments back - but that might be pushing your luck a bit. They can always prove you have had use of the money from statements so one would vere on the side of caution as to how far you push.

I was not going that far. As far as my understanding is, there is still a debt but not enforeceable. But there has to be agreed terms that if breached then you have defaulted. Also to register a default, there must be a Default notice which must tell you what terms of the agreement has been breached. Again no agreement no default. As far as I can make out, they are allowed to register:

1) Start date

2) Amount Outstanding

3) Payments made

The can not register

1) Payments missed

2) Default

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

I think it would be a good idea.

Mahatma Gandhi when asked what he thought of Western civilization

Advice & opinions of MoonHawk are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Lloyds TSB - Unlawful charges - Settled £8,807.68

Motor Help UK - Misrepesentation Act - Settled £111.25 (Thread Here)

Next Directory court action without a CCA for £605 - Settled & account closed (Thread Here)

CABOT - Can not produce CCA and refusing to accept it - In progress

Aktiv Kapital - Can not produce CCA and also refusing to accept it - In progress

Barclaycard - Can not produce CCA for an account of £2,000. After a long fight used CPR - Settled

I was not going that far. As far as my understanding is, there is still a debt but not enforeceable. But there has to be agreed terms that if breached then you have defaulted. Also to register a default, there must be a Default notice which must tell you what terms of the agreement has been breached. Again no agreement no default. As far as I can make out, they are allowed to register:

1) Start date

2) Amount Outstanding

3) Payments made

The can not register

1) Payments missed

2) Default

Best Wishes

MoonHawk

That sounds about right Moonhawk

Sarah

RE statements being supplied. My take on this is statements can only show that some activity took place between two parties so can only be a small part of it., After all no matter if activity took place without a properly executed agreement under the CCA in the first place no-one can prove what you agreed to.

Also elsewhere on this forum (sorry can't recall name) one of our CAGers actually "forged" statements to produce for the judge with the judge's name on (cut and paste) to prove that a statement on it's own means nothing and could be a forgery (which it was). The Judge agreed and she won the case.

• Haha 1

I mentioned the article written by the Cabot boss just as a method of assisting joghuj. It's quite likely that the legal people he faces in court will try to argue that the debt IS enforceable. It will be difficult for them to say it is, if the Head of the Company that has retained them has admitted it isn't...

A Barrister I came across in 2002 tried that approach with me. He was supposed to be an expert in Consumer Credit Law but he was technically useless and was not clued up on the proper execution of agreements. He'd even overlooked one Statutory Instrument. He got totally lost thinking the case would be a walkover and the Judge had to rescue him. He was very rude by not acknowledging me when he stormed out, red faced and very unhappy under his wig. I won at the next hearing.

As for costs - LIP costs (litigant in person) should be claimed in these cases, although there's been a tendency to advise people in these forums not to do so. I always have. In a case where there has been tantamount to reckless disregard of the CCA and case preparation by Cabot then I think there should be an application for costs. They approach these cases on a "it won't cost us much" basis - so they think "why not?".

If there was a probable negative (in addition to their own costs), they might be more wary. It may only be £9.25 an hour (hasn't risen for years), but total up the time that you (joghuj) have spent on your case and I bet you may find it's about 30 hours...

I think the best thing to do is that where you have completed the AQ then raise the issue of costs with the Court at the next available opportunity. Costs follow the verdict, except in very rare cases. Your stance is that you didn't originally want to claim costs as you believed that Cabot would see that their case was built on sand and that they would withdraw it before you spent lots of time on it. However, they have carried on regardless and your magananimity ceased and they should pay for the time you've spent researching your case.

• Haha 3

Hi all,

Not sure if yesterday was a good outcome or not, I think it was but not entirely sure.

The solicitor for Cabot turned up and came over to shake my hand before we went in, decent enough chap really. He immediately requested a 'multi-track', the judge asked him several questions regarding the claim but he had little knowledge saying he only got the details of the case last night. He mumbled something about my defence appearing to be taken from some internet forum but the judge wasn't (quite rightly) interested in that opinion.

The judge asked whether I had been sent any agreements, I told him I had received the application form for one account and some statements. He looked through the form and read the declaration near the signature '..bound by it's terms and conditions' etc.. I said that this does not represent a properly executed agreement according to CCA 1974.

He asked me about my defence and I told him that alleged debts are not enforceable in court. He asked who had told me that and I said again 'consumer credit act'. He seemed a bit miffed with this answer I thought and his tone changed (although) I wasn't too endeared to him at the start. He gave me a little speech along the lines of - many people are in court chasing bank account charges etc.. - he hopes I'm not running up debt and then trying to smokescreen the court, writing a clever defence etc.. as I could end up in trouble. I didn't like this at all and none of what he said was relevant to the facts of the case but he's the judge so can say what he likes can't he?

Anyway, he felt better after getting that off his chest and went on to say the following - again these are paraphrased.

Defendant has asked for disclosure and was entitled to such, by 16 Nov disclosure by list will be produced by claimant including legible application forms and executed agreements.

Any request for inspection to be made within 14 days of service of the list.

Witness statements of evidence by 21 Dec by both sides.

Case management by 14 Jan for 30 mins. 2 days before Claimant must file before hearing no more than 400 words of proposed further directions.

Something about a trial window was mentioned but not sure about that.

I was a bit disappointed really, the judge seemed quite dismissive and uninterested in the CCA and, before I argued the point, would have been happy to accept the application form as proof of debt.

So, thoughts on a postcard please!

I think Lizzy will be along, but well done, first hurdle over! They need the Agreement and it doesn't sound like they've got it so before you go back Lizzy or someone here will give you what you need to tone this right down to the brass tacts. Don't worry, you've done well in the face of a peed off Judge fed up with bank charge claims by the sounds of things. This shows you the preparation Cabot go to, the poor guy only had the papers last night for gods sake. As someone else stated, when you go back you can claim costs at £9.25 per hour for at least 30 hrs for your work, you'll win have no fears.

No need for doubt, the only thing which can really screw you is if they suddenly find a properly executed agreement. Which, let's be honest, they'd have done long ago if such a document existed.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but you sound like you were a little under-prepared. That's not a criticism by any means, going to court is a complicated process and few of us would relish it. But for the next hearing I'd suggest that you read and re-read the relavent parts of the CCA and know them off by heart to the point where you are totally confident quoting from the Act.

Also prepare a skeleton arguement and know it backwards, so that if Cabot start throwing up a smokescreen (law of property yadda yadda yadda) you don't let them sidetrack you or the judge.

I'm in court in November over a data protection issue (not with Cabot sadly) and I've got a copy of my defence along with the whole Data Protection Act printed out in the bathroom. I could bore you senseless quoting from it, but I don't want any nasty surprises which I don't know how to counter.

The way I see things, you're almost home and dry. But take some time to ensure you don't trip over with the finishing line in sight.

Anybody here will be pleased to help, either on the public forum or by PM. I don't want you to have doubts, I want you to go to court knowing - not thinking - that you can win this. :)

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

djdave is right. But it does sound like the Solictor and the Judge weren't up to speed either. The Judge mentioning bank charges seems to confirm this. I'd say it still looks very good for you so far.

My foray into the courts started in 2001 and ended with me taking on a bewigged Barrister. The Barrister was nice and charming whilst waiting to go into court. When we got inside and took our seats he threw down a fairly thick wad of copied pages from text books to me and the Judge. I asked him "is this Goode or Bennion?". He went white and flinched and replied "Goode". (Bennion actually wrote the CCA while Goode is considered to be the next best expert on it). When I gave him the names of the two likely authors he knew he was going to be in trouble. He hadn't prepared sufficiently.

I'd done enough reasearch to know that these two people existed and had gone off to the University Law library to look at their views on aspects of the CCA. I'd also got access to Consumer Credit Law reports which are a goldmine of very useful information. The upshot is that I knew more than the Barrister when I took him on and I knew infinitely more than the Judge did - but you have to show that knowledge to the Judge in a subtle way. It's how it's phrased. It's best not just to know what to quote but why you should quote it and as djdave says preparation is the key. Unfortunately that means time.

You need to feel that when you walk away from court that you knew more about the CCA than anyone else in that room. It's a bit like exams - the more revision you do the easier they are!

It sounds like you've just had a directions hearing. To be honest if I were you I would "switch off" until 16 November. If the disclosure list shows a copy of the executed agreement then you'll need to switch back on at that point. If it doesn't show on the list then it's "application for the claim to be struck out" time...

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding Cabot's tactics.

Why do they immediately ask for multi track, and on what grounds can they do this?

If they do ask for multi track, what should your response be?

These questions have probably been asked somewhere before, so forgive me if we are going over old ground here!

Jeff.

Hello all,

I have a couple of questions regarding Cabot's tactics.

Why do they immediately ask for multi track, and on what grounds can they do this?

If they do ask for multi track, what should your response be?

These questions have probably been asked somewhere before, so forgive me if we are going over old ground here!

Jeff.

they want to scare you. Multi-track is very expensive. the grounds they can use are, in essence, that the case is very complicated or very significent.

However, this claim is not very difficult, and is based on law established in statute, the house of lords, and appeal court. It really comes down to:

1. Do they have a properly executed agreement.

Which, once they provide a copy of that agreement is very simple to argue in court. if you do your research, you can argue in less than 5 minutes, via a skeleton argument.

I would have written such a skeleton argument, if it wasn't for the cold / flu I've had.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.