Tax Credit Overpayments

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I have been over paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 years ago i was made redundant from my job and claimed income support as a lone parent. In that time i rang tax credits and made them aware of ym situation only to be told i was STILL entitled to my full tax credit benefit!! I got my renewal through and rang them in April 06 to tell them my income as i still was not in employment, only to be told that i owed them nearly £8000 YES 8 bloody GRAND!!! I am now paying this off at £20 a month and i have calculated that its gonna take me 33 years to pay this off. I have not apealed as i was told over the phone i would not win as regardless of what happened it is an overpayment and i am responsible. I argued and argued that I was told on more than 1 occasion that i was entitled to this and that i had rang them to tell of change of circumstances!! Any ideas if i can do anything????

***Nationwide***

Data Protection Sent 05/08/06

Statements received 17/08/06

Prelim Sent Rec Delivery £1231.50 18/08/06

LBA Sent 11/09/06 Rec Delivery

N1 Issued 28/09/2006 for £1561.80 inc Interst

Date of Service 30/09/2006

***WON*** NATIONWIDE PAID 12/10/06

Hi

I too have been overpaid, about 5 years ago they made a mistake and sent us giros to the value of £1400. I phoned and refused them but they said I had to have them as they had been issued. Since then we have been paying back.

CAB are very good at helping with these claims or your local MP.

But I read this yesterday

BBC NEWS | Business | Teacher must pay back tax credits

Imagine how she feels, she could end up loosing everthing!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is possible to appeal and win. I did just that a couple of years ago when they said I owed £3000.In short, the first year I declared my husbands ill health pension, second year I was told it wasn't counted as income so got £800 plus large increase in credits. Third year told it was included as income, hence £3000 overpayment. I wrote a letter and put as much detail of conversations that I could remember.I had no names or exact dates.When I heard nothing from them after a couple of months I phoned up to be told that it was still recoverable and that I should have received a letter some weeks previous. I asked for another copy to be sent to me but no one knew which dept had sent it out. I then wrote to the Directors Office in Preston, again explaining it all in as much detail as possible. About four weeks later I received a phone call to say I had won my appeal:D .