Harassment on the phone

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5638 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help with a template or any advice.I have had numerous telephone calls from the telephone number 0161 475 2875. They wont tell me who they are and unless they do I don't tell them who I am.Now they have threatened to send someone to my house.I believe it is from NTL or a company attached to them. I would like to write to them or email them telling them to stop.

Thanks

Krystyna

You can now get the Truecall telephone recorder which will help to deal with these kinds of problems.

See our reveiw - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telephone-recorders-reviews-write/167120-truecall-digital-telephone-recorder.html

Edited by BankFodder

Next time they phone - call BT straight after and ask who the number is registered to as they are harrasing you.

They are also abusing the DPA by not telling you who they are.

Once you have the information as to who they are, write telling them that you will only correspond with them in writing (once you have done this, for them to phone again would be a breach of the Wireless Telegraphy Act).

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

Add me as your friend on FaceBook - I need all the friends I can get :-(

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=577405151

------------

PS. It seems to be a firm called 'NDL' - ring any bells?

PPS. Just phoning the number now - no answer as such.

If you feel that we have helped you, or you would like to help keep this web site running so that others can continue to get their money back, please click the donate button at the top of the forum.

Advice & opinions of Dave, The Bank Action Group and The Consumer Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability.

Use your own judgment. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

------------

------------

Definitly NDL, although the woman would NOT be drawn on what they do at all - I tried the line "someone gave me your number as someone who may be able to save me money on my mortgage" but she would only say, "we don't do mortgages".

Odd.

------------

------------

Moorcroft Debt Recovery - that's who they are.

Chase things like water bills.

**** basically.

http://www.moordebt.com/contact/enquire.asp

------------

------------

Moorcroft are a bunch of evil scumbags and thats putting it mildly. The other half had a run in with them over a BT bill that she had never had.

They were doing the usual demanding the full amount no payment options etc. I told her to call them offer £30 a month, to which they refused I said to her if they refuse tell them thats all you have to say to them and go to hang up, leave it a few hours/days and call back I guarantee they will accept your offer,if they dont tell them you are a private/council tenant and you dont own a car they will at this point realise there is no way to extort money from you and accept part payment.

Also think about getting the choose to refuse service from BT. This allows you to automatically reject either a specified number or the last number that called you even if it was witheld. Useful for fending off these parasites.

The only downside is that you can't record the message that the other party gets when they try to call you. ;)

This may well be of interest :)

SECTION 40 OF THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE ACT

“S40 Punishment for unlawful harassment of debtors.

1. A person commits an offence if, with the object of coercing another person to pay money claimed from the other as a debt due under a contract he-
    • harasses the other with demands for payment which, in respect of their frequency, or the manner or occasion of making any such demand, or of any threat or publicity by which any demand is accompanied, are calculated to subject him or members of his family or household to alarm, distress or humiliation;
    • falsely represents, in relation to the money claimed, that criminal proceedings lie for failure to pay it;
    • falsely represents himself to be authorised in some official capacity to claim or enforce payment; or
    • utters a document falsely represented by him to have some official character, or purporting to have some official character which he know it has not.

[*]A person may be guilty of an offence by virtue of sub-section (1) (a) above if he concerts with others in the taking of such actions as is described in that paragraph, notwithstanding that his own course of conduct does not by itself amount to harassment.”

Thank you everyone for your input.I am attempting write a letter to them any more ideas what I can say to them to get them to back off greatfully appreciated.

They didn't take DD out of my account fot 8 months because I was ill I did realise. Then 8 months down the line they wanted it all at once.They supposedly had a problem with there computer and only found out 8 months later (as if).

I didn't have the full amount so I cancelled the service with them by phone and by letter in November last year, but they have still been charging me and adding charges onto the initial bill .I have not used there service for the internet or phone since that day in November 2005. They don't answer your letters they just send you more charges.

Thanks for all your help it is a life line to so many people

Regards

Krystyna

NTL are a total nightmare they still send bills here for someone who lived here 12 months ago (which we return everytime), then they sent a debt collectors letter and I called them to tell them to bog off and they started asking me 100 questions to which I just said sorry not interested and hung up, the bills still come though.

Good luck getting it sorted just deal with them on their terms (over the phone) keep it via post

I had a few issues with NTL. They continued to take money out of my account for 3 months after I cancelled the service. I was having hell of a job getting it back. They kept promising to send me a cheque but it never arrived

When I sent them a LBA giving them 14 days or I would take them to court a man by the name of Roy Holbrook of their customer concerns dept. dealt with it. He was very nice and a few days later he sent me a cheque.

Try dealing with him.

7 actions in progress

amount refunded so far £6500

UPDATE

Hi Everyone

Dave, rogerebaker, Rich44, Sequenci, Seminole.

Thanks for all your help. I did what everyone suggested and also emailed Peter Moran from my CAG email address.

His 2nd in command replied to me and has lowered the bill from £354-74 to £85-50

without your help and the email address I would still be looking at a large bill.

It also worked with my daughters college as they owed her money too. I am so thankful to DAVE and to all who helped.

Everyone out there have faith don't give up go for it you will win out in the end.

Many thanks

Krystyna

Excellent news!!

------------

------------

Hi all!

I have recently had an experience not with Moorcroft but Mercers - b/card are using them to persue me:

In brief Mercers phoned me twice in less than a time gap of 15 minutes on the same morning - so I told the woman on the 2nd call that I have already spoken so & so from your office and made arrangements.So,please do not contact me anymore or I will sue you for creditor/debtor harassment because I am currently preparing claims against a few other debt collecting companies/creditors.So,I would have no qualms in adding your company on to my list.This woman changed her tone of voice completely and apologized for bothering me and then rang off.

Also,I have recorded both conversations! ha!ha!

Actually,I am seriously looking to persue 2 or 3 of the extreme mainly telephone harassers from my experiences - Egg,MBNA and BOS.

Basically,do not accept the abuse or any other rubbish they try and hurl at you.

I will update all as things progress.

Hopefully anyone reading this post finds the information useful.

Hi all!

I have recently had an experience not with Moorcroft but Mercers - b/card are using them to persue me:

In brief Mercers phoned me twice in less than a time gap of 15 minutes on the same morning - so I told the woman on the 2nd call that I have already spoken so & so from your office and made arrangements.So,please do not contact me anymore or I will sue you for creditor/debtor harassment because I am currently preparing claims against a few other debt collecting companies/creditors.So,I would have no qualms in adding your company on to my list.This woman changed her tone of voice completely and apologized for bothering me and then rang off.

Also,I have recorded both conversations! ha!ha!

Actually,I am seriously looking to persue 2 or 3 of the extreme mainly telephone harassers from my experiences - Egg,MBNA and BOS.

Basically,do not accept the abuse or any other rubbish they try and hurl at you.

I will update all as things progress.

Hopefully anyone reading this post finds the information useful.

In case you don't know, Mercers are Barclays in house debt collectors.

Hi all!

Seminole,I had been told my somebody I personally know that Barclays have an in-house debt collection setup.Now,I know its name.Thanks for that.

The objective of my previous posting was to show other folks on this forum not to tolerate any abuse and rubbish when in receipt of excessive phone calls and how I have succeeded to reduce the levels of calls - harassment from creditors and debt collectors.

• 7 months later...

bump

when you complain by writing do you have to give them your phone number or just the address ?

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

You don't have to give your phone number to any private business. A complaint in writing is just that.

thanks and an amazingly quick response

Tam Wing Chuen -v- Bank of Credit and Commerce Hong Kong Ltd [1996] 2 BCLC 69

PC

Lord Mustill Commonwealth,

Lord Mustill discussed the need to construe a contract contra preferentem: "the basis of the contra proferentem principle is that the person who puts forward the wording of a proposed agreement may be assumed to have looked after his own interests, so that if words leave room for doubt about whether he is intended to have a particular benefit there is reason to suppose that he is not."

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are now reviewing and recommending the Truecall call recorder. See:- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telephone-recorders-reviews-write/167120-truecall-digital-telephone-recorder.html

This machine is a bit pricey but does everything and more.

However, there are other cheaper options available. The most important thing is to get some kind of call recorder and start gathering your evidence