• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

First victory to Lloyds

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Annie,

Thats the spirit. :)

All the paperwork for the bundle seems daunting to me too, but I'm sure if we all help each other by asking for advice and read all the great info on here we will all get there.

P.S I'd go for the boob job - you won;t ever see a man in the kitchen lol!! (no offense guys)

Bev

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So guys

what are we saying that you can revise you particualars of claim once a court date is issued?

If not I`m in deep trouble?

I din`t realise you had to really gem up on the legal talk, quoting bill and acts etc

I`m worried that they will literally laugh at my claim form??

First of all, thoroughly read the FAQs and Step by Step Instructions which will list all possible scenarios at each stage. Read all the success stories to see how patterns emerge and learn from others mistakes. Then start your own thread in the bank forum that you are claiming against - your posts will get lost in this large thread - people will be able to help you more quickly then. Please don't forget that you are taking on the banks and the courts - this is not a get rich quick scheme and you must be confident of all your facts before starting your claim.

Wow, Now Im nerveous!!

Had planned to file my case in Worcester this week but need to make sure Ive dotted all my I's and T's.. Ive made the decision to carry on and do it as Im sure that we all should. If Im not successful then it will go to appeal!!

One thing worries me. After the LBA is sent out if it goes over the 14 days Ive given them is there a cut off point as to when I can sue or do I have to go through the whole process again. I dont want to lose my case on a technicality before I start. I sent the LBA on the 3rd April and because of personal problems couldnt go any further until now. Is it too late. I dont want to be at the end of a pedantic Judge who takes the Birmingham ruling as a Bench mark as its not a million miles away from Worcester!!!!

Is Mr Berwick one of "ours" Interested to know if he send in one of those impresive court bundles.

Also, does a judge have to declare an interest? I.e. would he have to declare if he/she has an account with/shares in the bank you are claiming from? If a ruling goes against you do you have the legal right to ask if the judge has an interest?

Wow, Now Im nerveous!!

Had planned to file my case in Worcester this week but need to make sure Ive dotted all my I's and T's.. Ive made the decision to carry on and do it as Im sure that we all should. If Im not successful then it will go to appeal!!

One thing worries me. After the LBA is sent out if it goes over the 14 days Ive given them is there a cut off point as to when I can sue or do I have to go through the whole process again. I dont want to lose my case on a technicality before I start. I sent the LBA on the 3rd April and because of personal problems couldnt go any further until now. Is it too late. I dont want to be at the end of a pedantic Judge who takes the Birmingham ruling as a Bench mark as its not a million miles away from Worcester!!!!

No, there is no deadline for filing at court. By giving the banks the 2 lots of 14 days to reply to you, you are showing the courts that you tried to attempt a result within a reasonable timescale. You can file your claim when it suits you, but if you leave it more than a couple of months, I would just resend another LBA to the bank giving them 7 days to reply.

Is Mr Berwick one of "ours" Interested to know if he send in one of those impresive court bundles.

Also, does a judge have to declare an interest? I.e. would he have to declare if he/she has an account with/shares in the bank you are claiming from? If a ruling goes against you do you have the legal right to ask if the judge has an interest?

Yes he is - have a look at his threads in the (this) Lloyds forum - I think there are about 3.

Thanks guys, that's what I thought myself.

I will soldier on for all the men out there ;) depending on us women to spend our money 'sensibly' haha

I have to admit, this forum has cheered up what was a rather miserable day for me. Thanks for that too.

Annie

I'm confused that the judge tried to research the T&C's on the bank's website. Surely the T&C's are only relevant if they are the ones in existance when your account was opened - today's version may have no bearing on an old account?

Could anyone respond to the above? My account has been open for 15 years or more; I have no chance of finding a copy of the T&Cs from back then!!

[if I case does get thrown out as I feel my 'Particular' on the claim form are worded badly with no references to acts mentioned.

Can you claim again?

Yes, Particulars can be amended, but there’s a non-refundable fee of £35. It’s important you do that if necessary as no, you can’t issue proceedings again for the same claim.

The money they owe me will get me either a new kitchen or a boob job....hahaha not decided which yet

If you want meaningful advice on which you most need to go for, you’ll need to let us see what you’ve got to start with.:-D

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

Make sure you all read this resume' by rbrears

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/lloyds-bank/90660-lloyds-victory-view-judgement.html

and if you are unfortunate enough to be in court and the judge asks you "would you be in breach of contract if you issued a cheque.......

and there was insufficient funds in your account for it to be paid?"

for Gods sake say yes

Leech

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/site-questions-suggestions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html#post436526

click my scales if you think i am helpful ! yes LHS down there !!

Once more into the breach dear friends,once more

or close the wall up with our banks dead ,

The games afoot,follow your spirit and upon this charge

Cry 'God for Harry' England and St George

Henry V battle of Agincourt 1415

Could anyone respond to the above? My account has been open for 15 years or more; I have no chance of finding a copy of the T&Cs from back then!!

ask the bank for the oldest T&Cs they have, i'll bet they say nothing about service charges

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

Hi all

I do not have a claim against LLoyds but have been reading the recent threads started after news of this unfortunate case.

What amazes me is how may users there appear to be who have not prepared for a day in court! :eek:

What do you think a court claim is - a jolly? :confused:

From the moment you send your LBA you are commencing the first stages of litigation. This involves preparing a legal argument that proves your claim, and assembling and understanding the facts/law/evidence that will support your arguments.

The Particulars of Claim must set out the facts, the law and the sources of the evidence you will be relying on and you must be able to understand and argue all these points in court. Similarly, you must read and understand the defendant's arguments and prepare your responses to them.

Practically all that you need for your claim is available on this site (or readily obtainable elsewhere), including templates, case law references, rebuttals to possible defence arguments, basic bundle advice etc.

It's obvious that many users who already have court claims issued have not submitted adequate or accurate POCs or other evidence and/or do not actually understand the legal arguments their claims should be based upon.

Also there are many comments to the effect that this is only one claim lost against so many won!

NO claim has yet been WON!! No claim has yet been subject to a judgement of the court to the effect that these charges are in fact penalty charges and as such, unlawful.

All settled claims so far are simply that - settlements by the banks WITHOUT admission of liability. There is no room for complacency!

The one good thing to come out of this poor man's initial defeat is that it is a good wake up call! He HAD prepared pretty well for his hearing and still was not successful. I'm sure he has good grounds for appeal and wish him the best of luck. But some users here don't seem to have a clue what is required, despite being probably only weeks away from a possible full hearing.

PLEASE, for your own sakes, get prepared!!

It's plain that many can ill afford the costs involved in taking these claims to court in the first place. Don't risk throwing your money away for the sake of a few hours study and preparation.

A suggestion for today's study:

CPR - Parts and Practice Directions

Happy reading!

BS

Thanks c allen, will do

If I've helped, please tick the scales at the bottom left of this message!

17th Sept: Found this site! :)

Lloyds TSB

22 Sept: Subject Access Req.

3 Nov: statements arrived. Charges calulated at:

A/c 1 - £2,178.01 + int of £1,206.54 (18.4% authorised)

A/c 2 - £206.11 + int of £211.07 (18.4%)

7 Nov - prelim.

3 Dec - LBA

13 Dec - £750 offered

23 Dec - £750 credited

28 Dec - rejection letter

2 March - issued

16 April - complained at court failure to forward defence

Halifax

22nd September: Subject Access Request.

4th November: No reply so LBA giving 7 days.

Cap One

22nd September: Subject Access Req.

5th October: Letter saying no record of account!

15th October: Replied telling them to try harder...

22nd October: Subject Access Req acknowledged.

Go ahead as normal. This case was a freak anomaly which was gifted to Lloyds rather than won by Lloyds, and should not deter anyone. Just prepare your case as thoroughly as possible

I totall aggree please dont get disenchanted or dis hartened think about it was not an appeal high court or law lords ruling but a DISTRICT judge in a COUNTY court it the judgement does not have any baring on any other case claim or court.

and moreover as one of this site creators posted in this thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-825486.html

:eek: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/PAYUSBACK/

Deadline to sign up by: 21 May 2007 – Signatures: 1,309:shock:

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=red]Now your here & I've your attention pls atleast [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]look at[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [URL="http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/PAYUSBACK/"][B][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4]http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/PAYUSBACK/[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/URL] [B]:eek: Deadline to sign up by: [/B]21 May 2007 – [B]Signatures:[/B] 1,333 (as at 17/05):shock: [URL="http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Penaltycharges/"][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkgreen][B]http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Penaltycharges/[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/URL] [FONT=Times New Roman]that Berwick v lloyds case judgement [/FONT] [SIZE=1][SIZE=1][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black]Analysed and surmised in concise plain English[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE] by 1 of our admins[/SIZE] [URL]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-825486.html[/URL] [SIZE=1]& by[/SIZE][SIZE=3] R B R EARS[/SIZE] [U][COLOR=darkgreen][URL]http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-827833.html[/URL][/COLOR][/U] [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][COLOR=black]All the best.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=navy][I]FIDZ[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=4][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]Any of my Advice & opinions and guidance are personal, not endorsed by C A G or Bank Action Group, are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]

Lloyds "Victory" - A View of the Judgement

makes more sense

dx100uk

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi everyone

Please don't panic.

I agree with BlueSmartie, it seems to me that the claimant (no disrespect) did not prepare his case as he should.

The members of this site have always been encouraged to read as much as they can on the subject and prepare their claims.

I hope this does not stop people from claiming but please do your homework.

Flower :)

I need some advice because I'm concerned about what happened to this poor chap yesterday losing in court to Lloyds. I have sent 3 letters to Lloyds TSB asking for £1117.80 back to which I have not received a reply. Firstly is this usual because I was hoping for something from them so I could negotiate a settlement? The first letter I sent was over a month ago so now I'm considering taking legal action. Is yesterday's case going to affect my claim? What information do the courts require from you once you make your claim? I was also surprised that the chap who lost his case was cross examand in court for an hour when Lloyds didn't even bother to turn up. Why was this?

I need some advice because I'm concerned about what happened to this poor chap yesterday losing in court to Lloyds. I have sent 3 letters to Lloyds TSB asking for £1117.80 back to which I have not received a reply. Firstly is this usual because I was hoping for something from them so I could negotiate a settlement? The first letter I sent was over a month ago so now I'm considering taking legal action. Is yesterday's case going to affect my claim? What information do the courts require from you once you make your claim? I was also surprised that the chap who lost his case was cross examand in court for an hour when Lloyds didn't even bother to turn up. Why was this?

Please read the FAQs and Step by Step Instructions first! Send your prelim and give them 14 days to reply or (not!), then send your LBA and wait 14 days for your reply (or not!) and then file your claim at court. You can never "negotiate" a settlement with the banks - it is your money and you deserve every penny back plus interest. Yesterdays action was a blip because the claimant allegedly was not fully prepared and I bet it came as a great surprise to Lloyds as well that they won! Just realise that you are taking on the banks and courts and don't be complacent - research everything on this site and read the success stories. Have you started your own thread in this forum? - this thread is far too large and your questions will get lost. Good luck and shout more if you need help.

Just wanted to comment, that the people who seem to running around flappin like headless chickens the most, are those with the lowest post counts.

Many of those panicking have also just jumped right in at the deep end, skipped all the rudimentary reading, and just started proceedings without actually understanding what they are really doing ??

Only NOW have they just started asking really very basic questions !

You are taking somebody to court !!!!!!!! :eek:

If you were not willing to actually go into a court, then why did you start the process in the first place ?

You have far far less chance of winning the lottery, than of ending up in court over this. Yet despite the amazingly slim chances of winning the lottery, you do really believe that "it could be you", and do have a decent chance of winning, so keep playing.

Well the chances of ending up in a court due to taking these actions is much greater and much more real by comparison. So actually in this case much more so "it could be you", as was amply demonstrated yesterday.

Also, if you quote laws and cases, make sure you do actually read them first!

Your probably the same people, who without ever having used one before, go out and buy a new computer, then plug it in without even a cursory glance of the instructions.

You then take it back to the shop wondering why it wont work ........

...... aaaahhhhh haaahhh......actually that would also explain the low post count !! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !