• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

First victory to Lloyds

BankFodder
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Matt, you're new to this, I guess.

Your question goes right to our basic argument. Just because a bank says it can charge a fee, does NOT mean they can charge what they want. we all recognise that a bank has the right to cover any cost incurred by a customer taking his account 'out of order'. What we are disputing is the AMOUNT they charge. Charges must be fair and reasonable, and they should not be making profit from such charges. Does a bounced cheque cost Lloyds 35 quid? Of course not! But they will not stand up in court because that would mean they have to reveal exactly HOW much it costs them, and their whole house of cards would probably fall.

Even if, like Lloyds, the bank claims that 'allowing the customer to exceed their overdraft' or whatever is a SERVICE, the fee charged for this service should still be reasonable.

to sum up:

PENALTY CHARGES ARE UNLAWFUL!

DISGUISING PENALTY CHARGES AS SOMETHING ELSE IS UNLAWFUL!

BANK TERMS AND CONDITIONS DO NOT PUT THEM ABOVE THE LAW!

We, the consumers, have had enough!:mad:

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if it is legal for Lloyds to charge "arrangement fees" on a business account. My husband is self employed and sometimes invoices are paid late. As a result he calls his manager, explains the situation, and his manager agrees to increase his overdraft facility for a few days. He is then charged an "arrangement fee" of up to £100 (this has happened on a few occasions) - I find this incredible since my husband is ringing them to ask for their help. Can I include these charges along with the excess overdraft/returned item charges? Would be very grateful for any help on this.

Thanks.

You cannot include these charges. Arrangement fees are agreed service fee. It is sometimes possible to negotiate the amount, I have a business account and I have agreed to increase my insurance cover, if they waive the arrangement fee. (Subsequently cancel the insurance during the cooling off period), it is a cynical ploy, but hey these are banks we are dealing with.

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

:cool:

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Acknowledgment of Service 06.11.2006

Offer of approx 50% £2200.00 22.11.2006

Full settlement £4500 received 03.01.2007

Smile settled in full

Barclaycard settled in full

RBS Worldwide settled in full

Lloyds TSB settled in full £750.00

Lloyds TSB settled in Full £275.00 11.04.2007

Lloyds TSB business account £1376.00 AQ filed

Lloyds TSB Business account settled in full 21.05.07

I find it slightly bizarre that on our joint account we get charged £30 for going over our overdraft facility but my husband's business account is £12.50. Does anyone know why this is and can I still claim these as unfair and unlawful?

With regard to the Lloyds win, everyone keeps referring to POC - I may be being thick but what is this and also what is a "bundle". We're at the moneyclaimonline stage with our joint account, claiming over £3,000 - they have not acknowledged yet but have until the 28th May.

I find it slightly bizarre that on our joint account we get charged £30 for going over our overdraft facility but my husband's business account is £12.50. Does anyone know why this is and can I still claim these as unfair and unlawful?

Might it be that business is "favoured" at the expense of the individual?

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

There is no logic to the amounts they charge. POC (particulars of claim) these are the specific details you filled in on your legal claim form, I hope!

My advice has hardly any legal foundation whatsoever, however you never know it it might just work!

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Smile settled in full

Might it be that business is "favoured" at the expense of the individual?

Shoestring

Business accounts are not favoured at the expense of the individual.

In fact rather the opposite.

Firstly, Business accounts normally carry monthly service charges which are payable regardless of the balance of account, negative or positive.

Secondly Business' are also charged for each and every transaction on top, all chq's, DD's, SO's etc.

Business' also pay much higher rates on overdrafts at both authorised and unauthorised levels.

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

Business accounts are not favoured at the expense of the individual.

In fact rather the opposite.

Firstly, Business accounts normally carry monthly service charges which are payable regardless of the balance of account, negative or positive.

Secondly Business' are also charged for each and every transaction on top, all chq's, DD's, SO's etc.

Business' also pay much higher rates on overdrafts at both authorised and unauthorised levels.

I stand corrected.

Out of interest, what size business are you referring to re the above? Small business, Plc, transnational? Are they all treated the same?

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Would this be of any use on future POC's ?

Further or in the alternative, if the defendants state that there was no breach of contract and that the charges are for a service, then it is the Claimants belief that the defendants have attempted to restructure accounts in order to present events of default spuriously as additional services.

However The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, is concerned with the intention and effects of terms, not just their mechanism. For example, a charge for 'agreeing to' or 'allowing' a customer to exceed his credit limit is no different from a charge for the customer's 'default' in exceeding his credit limit

You may be able to clear up my query stopping me putting my lba in on my bus account with lloyds. Can the service charge be claimed back? is it part of the claim? would breath a sigh of relief to know if yes or know??? skeggsy n nailard v lloyds.

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

destiny of souls. Did you use this in your POC with Lloyds?

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Photoman, you will prob be able to answer my queries above, didnt want to pm you, Can in your knowledge a business claim back the service charge, I was a little confused as to why the charge for going over overdraft was only 10.00 on the business account but 30 on the personal, seems others are realising this also.

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Photoman, you will prob be able to answer my queries above, didnt want to pm you, Can in your knowledge a business claim back the service charge, I was a little confused as to why the charge for going over overdraft was only 10.00 on the business account but 30 on the personal, seems others are realising this also.

Skeggs

No, sorry you can't claim back the service charges.

They are monthly account maintenance fees for......well for maintenance, whatever that is ?

Actually for very little really, as we also normally have to pay for each chq, each SO, each DD, and then also additional charges for reviewing and granting an overdraft, additional fees for meetings with managers etc etc etc

(so it probably really is for the bubbly at the shareholders meeting ) !!:p

Actually, this could maybe be used as a powerful argument if they try to use their usual "service charge" arguments against your claim for default or Overdraft excess charges ?

If they counter your claim by saying the charge is for the service of reviewing your account and decisions about whether to allow a payment to go through in these circumstances then...

........ " errr... so why am I paying a monthly service charge and appear to be getting nothing in return, surely this monthly charge is to cover such monitoring " ?

Regards

Photoman

BTW: I hope your aware of which legislation and statute is and isn't applicable to Business claims (ie: You can still use pretty much most statute and legislation apart from UTCCR99, check in on the Business claims thread for verification if unsure before posting)

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !

You have agreed to service charges and the interest charged. You have also agreed to pay penalties, but they must reflect the true cost incurred by the banks, and of course that is the crux of the matter.

NatWest Prelim 07.10.206

LBA 21.10.2006

MCOL 30.10.2006

Smile settled in full

Skeggs, no I came accross this on another site, wondered if it was useful because all T&C's now are being re drawn to show a service charge.

Halifax is now quoting:

Paid Item

A transaction processing fee for each card payment, cheque, S/O or D/D that we pay

Unpaid Item

An administration fee charged when we return unpaid cheque, card payment, d/d , s/o or any transaction we decide not to pay if insufficient funds ....

Unarranged O/D administration fee

An overdraft administration fee is applied when your account goes overdrawn without a pre-arranged facility or when it exceeds a pre arranged facility

Is this a good get out for them???

Shouldn't a court see right through those "modifications" as the obvious stratagem it is?

On the other hand...

Shoestring

Skeggs, no I came accross this on another site, wondered if it was useful because all T&C's now are being re drawn to show a service charge.

Halifax is now quoting:

Paid Item

A transaction processing fee for each card payment, cheque, S/O or D/D that we pay

Unpaid Item

An administration fee charged when we return unpaid cheque, card payment, d/d , s/o or any transaction we decide not to pay if insufficient funds ....

Unarranged O/D administration fee

An overdraft administration fee is applied when your account goes overdrawn without a pre-arranged facility or when it exceeds a pre arranged facility

Is this a good get out for them???

ohhhhhhh.......... and would that be the "administration" of copious amounts of Champers at the Shareholders meeting ??

Seriously though.... if it was difficult to infer concealment was apparent or likely before......... it certainly isn't difficult to claim it's going on now !!

......... was that their rights to a 6 year bar under the Statute of Limitations Act I just saw flying out of the window ??

Photoman

Hmmmm, photoman,

......... was that their rights to a 6 year bar under the Statute of Limitations Act I just saw flying out of the window ??

now, THAT is an excellent point!!

Victimnomore

By day, quiet unassuming bank customer - but, by night, .. .. .. .. ..

Barclays Case1

14/03/07 **WON** FULL settlement £3358.39

Barclays Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £187.91 back.

Halifax Case1

14/03/07 **WON** Refunded £728 (including £54 costs)

Halifax Case2

08/09/08 Prelim: please give me my £268.24 back.

Hello everyone,

Could somene please help.

I have a court date next month and i need to know what needs to be in my bundle to send to the courts.

Also, what evidence can i show to the courts that the charges by Lloyts TSB are a pentaly charge and not a service.

Peeps thanks so much for your responses, they have been helpfull although the Halifax getouts a bit mind blowing, the summarise Im going to claim for any charges for direct debit bounces, penalty charges incurred but not going to claim service charges or administration fees for organising further overdraft increases. Dont they make it confusing... I have read the business claims templates and will copy the letters to the book so as not to make a mistake. thanks again skeggsy

muffintop

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Tomson Holiday - WON

Hello everyone,

Could somene please help.

I have a court date next month and i need to know what needs to be in my bundle to send to the courts.

Also, what evidence can i show to the courts that the charges by Lloyts TSB are a pentaly charge and not a service.

You have left it very late to seek advice - please let us know more details of your claim - would help if you started your own thread in the Lloyds forum - you would then get much more response

Lloyds has not filed an admission or defence to my claim at moneyclaim on line and their time ran out yesterday. I have done a request for judgement on line requesting that they pay immediately but I don't really know what the next move is. Do Lloyds just have to pay me or can they still file a defence, does it still go to court or what? I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

Tina,

Give me a few moments and I will set up a thread for you.

I will then paste the questions on there.

The thread will be tina9776 v LTSB

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

Lloyds has not filed an admission or defence to my claim at moneyclaim on line and their time ran out yesterday. I have done a request for judgement on line requesting that they pay immediately but I don't really know what the next move is. Do Lloyds just have to pay me or can they still file a defence, does it still go to court or what? I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

Tina it's better if you start your own thread on your case so people know where you are at and can follow your progress. [EDIT broke dave seems to be doing that for you]

However to answer the question Lloyds can (and probably will) apply to have the default judgement set aside and then enter a (more than likely standard) defence

All my posts are made without prejudice and may not be reused or reproduced without my express permission (or the permission of the forums owners)!

17/10/2006 Recieve claim against me from lloyds TSB for £312.82

18/10/06 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) sent

03/02/07 Claim allocated to small claims. Hearing set for 15/05/07. Lloyds ordered to file statement setting out how they calculate their charges

15/05/07 Lloyds do not attend. Judgement ordered for £192 approx, £3 travel costs and removal of default notice

29/05/07 4pm Lloyds deadline for payment of CCJ expires. Warrant of execution ready to go

19/06/07 Letter from court stating Lloyds have made a cheque payment to court