Debt Collector agreed to pay me to provide staff training!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5433 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been dealing with a debt collecter since November last year; unwillingly, as I don't owe their client any money.

Finally I realised what they seemed to be up to and sent them this

I refer to your letter of 5 April 2007, received today.

I wrote to you twice in November 2006, and you have acknowledged both letters so you have received them.

In the first of these letters I gave you copies of proof that I do not owe your client money; copies of both a letter and an e-mail issued by them. On the same day I also e-mailed you a recording of a telephone conversation with your client on that date, in which they told me that I did not owe them money.

I am at a loss as to why you still write to me when you haven't provided this information, despite numerous reminders, and it is very irritating to receive requests to call your premium rate revenue sharing number when I am not being paid.

However, to show that there is no ill feeling, I am happy to offer you a special opportunity.

I think that you seem to be using me to train your staff in what dealing with customers who are being wrongly pursued for money is like. I do not agree to provide this service free. I am however happy to offer this service to you for the consideration of £20 per letter that I reply to or telephone call that you ask me to make, terms 30 days. Many banks charge £12 or more for a computer generated letter or a standard scripted debt chasing phone call from a call centre in India. I am certain that in return for a human composed letter or a telephone call to a premium rate revenue sharing number this small premium on that charge represents excellent value for money. Indeed, many professionals would charge a much higher fee to issue a letter of a similar nature.

In addition, I am prepared to offer a £2 discount on the fee to only £18 for slow service, if my e-mail or letter format response is not sent to you or phone call is not made within 7 days of receipt of any requests. I will also, for absolutely no further charge, record any telephone call made and send a copy to you. The recording may be used for any purpose desired. If you staff do not wish to talk to me at that time we may agree a letter or phone call as an alternative, for which a further £20 fee would be payable.

Please however note that prompt payment would be of the essence. If payment was not made promptly within 30 days of the invoice (presumed received working day after posted first class or issued by e-mail), a £12 late payment and letter before action charge for the reminder issued would apply. If accounts were still not settled and legal proceedings had to be commenced, a £50 ligitation referral fee would also apply, in addition to the costs of any court proceedings. You should not agree to enter a contract if you do not note the contents of these conditions.

If you are interested in this offer please indicate your acceptance by sending to me a suitable letter stating that you note this communication and that you would like me to contact you further, either in writing, by telephone call, or by e-mail. I will then send my first response to you, and your staff can practice replying to it. Any future requests can be made in a similar way. You might like to give a reference number that I can quote, so staff are fully aware of the nature of the agreement and the call being made. If you would like to give me any specific instructions about how you wish me to conduct the call do feel free, otherwise I will handle it as seems most appropriate to me; playing the role of someone who is angry at being asked for money they do not believe they owe and a little uncooperative.

Otherwise, if you would not like to take advantage of this opportunity there is of course no need to respond in this respect. However if you believe, despite the information previously sent, that I am incorrect and that there is a debt, then I expect you will of course please now finally provide a written response to my letters of November giving the details requested regarding the alleged debt. I can send copies of the letters if you do not have them to hand. The response will have to be in writing as I am not willing to phone a premium rate revenue sharing number when I am not being paid.

Many thanks

Now when you are trying to drum up business for a new trade you have to risk pestering people about until you get through the the person that can make decisions, so I also sent a polite reminder:

I refer to my message below, I look forward to hearing from you regarding this at your earliest convenience.

Well... it all paid off. Today I got a letter from them!!!

Thank you for your recent communication.

The contents of this communication have been noted

Please telephone this office as a matter of urgency in order that this matter can be discussed.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Yours faithfully

It's exactly what I asked for if they wanted to enter the contract (even uses some of the same words as I used) and it's got clear instructions on how to proceed, and a reference number like I asked for!!!

It's also clearly not a mistake on their part, as I made it clear that the only way I was going to do what they asked me to was if they paid me!

I'm very excited, but of course the red tape was a bit of a dampener on things. It seems like I only have three months to inform the tax office that I've commenced self employment and to apply for deferrment of Class 2 National Insurance contributions. (I will apply for deferrment because I don't expect my earnings will be that high as the new trade starts out; I'll not be giving up the day job just yet!!! ;) )

:D:D:D

(I tried to put in 60 of those, but the computer wouldn't let me!)

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I intend to phone. If I phone there's every chance I can get them to agree to tell me to write (all recorded of course, per the terms of the contract) and charge two fees.

Cut throat this business, but you've got to be ruthless if you want to succeed in the DCA business!

Number of times I've asked 1st Credit for information that I stil haven't recieved... 55 as at 02/05/07 :!:

You are MAD!!! Gingerheid. I cant wait till you send a DCA to them for non payment. Might I suggest Link. Everyone here knows about their professional abilities. I would have recomended Lowells but they have had a few failures recently. Cabot have enough on their plates with Tbern.

@ODC - If I come across any reluctant payers in the course of my self employment I will use Business to Business Debt Collection , who provide an initial nastygram for only £2.35. Any proceedings would be carried out "in-house". There's no reason why I should forsee this as being a problem though; I'm sure debt collectors wouldn't try and avoid paying up when they ask someone to do work for them! ;)

@Curlyben: As part of the contractual terms I am to play someone who is un-cooperative. I will therefore refuse to give a phone number. (Also, I can't answer my phone at work) :D

Hi Gingerheid

Ive been following your other thread and thought the letter was a brilliant idea.

I dont think they read their mail, they must open the envelope look to see if there's a cheque and bin the letter without reading it.

when will you be sending them their first invoice? It'll be great when you send the debt collectors in. one DCA chasing another, it'll be like Dumb and Dumber

I don't follow this assumption that I'll be sending debt collectors in. Why should all you cynical people automatically assume that they won't pay up as and when it's due? They've asked me to carry out work for them, so there's no reason to suppose they won't pay. If I thought they would refuse to pay I wouldn't do work for them, as simple as that!

I will operate like any other normal business; I will send an invoice 30 days or so after the first work is done, including all work done for them in that month, and carry on working for them on the same basis as long as I receive the payment within 30 days of that.

;)

The Late Payment of Commercial Debts Act terms would apply, these laws are put in place to protect small businesses like mine and I intend to use them where necessary. But I expect my customers will be aware of this and will therefore pay on time. If they don't, then they have agreed to a £12 letter fee and £50 litigation referral fee, both of which I'm sure will also be unncessary.

Remember, these are professionals we are dealing with, not some bunch of two bit con artists.

@ frugal - I tried to edit it, but it won't let me :(

@ ODC - you keep getting the wrong idea - of course they *should* pass the invoice for payment. This is not some kind of joke!!! This is a genuine business opportunity that I have identified in a poorly served sector.

It can only be for that reason that the DCA have entered into this contract to receive a unqie level of quality service, and it is for that reason that I will be registering as self employed etc.

Can anyone think of a suitable name for my business?

Aktiv Training?

RobotoTrain?

I also need a logo for my letterheads and invoices.

Any thoughts?

sealxw2.th.gif

sealvw8.th.gif

sealdj3.th.gif

Fantastic! I wish you every success in your new venture :D

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

@ frugal - I tried to edit it, but it won't let me :(

@ ODC - you keep getting the wrong idea - of course they *should* pass the invoice for payment. This is not some kind of joke!!! This is a genuine business opportunity that I have identified in a poorly served sector.

It can only be for that reason that the DCA have entered into this contract to receive a unqie level of quality service, and it is for that reason that I will be registering as self employed etc.

Can anyone think of a suitable name for my business?

Aktiv Training?

RobotoTrain?

I also need a logo for my letterheads and invoices.

Any thoughts?

sealxw2.th.gif

sealvw8.th.gif

sealdj3.th.gif

Hello Gingerheid,

Will you eventually be recruiting?:-)

Or, maybe start some franchises?:grin:

This could go multinational!!!

Jeff.

If you are recruiting, I finish uni in 2 weeks :D

I think you should offer this service to more DCA's, this could be quite a good little earner for you!

V best of luck to ya ;-)

Hit the scales, you know you want to :p

Don't know who you're dealing with but offer your services to Robinson, Way & Co. Ltd, their staff could do with lessons in how to respond to clients.

Good luck, it sounds like a brilliant idea, hope they take you up on it. ;)